PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Alok!! fastest century by a Bangladeshi

Miraz
June 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
What a brilliant innings!!

Now please stay focused! Bangladesh need your contribution to win/compete regularly.

Let's make it a habit, now the demon is exorcised... and the mental block lifted.

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2008, 08:37 AM
what an excellent knock.

Magnificent piece of batting.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
his first ton, our biggest individual score against G8 sides (mostly full strength IND bowling attack).

and back from the dead...lazarus man!

30 runs in previous innings, so reasonably consistent.

just keep it up.

ash, tamim, aftab - i hope you guys were taking notes.

al Furqaan
merge please

Rubu
great innings.

now u got excuse to stay in the team for next 6 years.

Gowza
June 28, 2008, 08:40 AM
highest score by a BD player against one of the big 8 teams as well isn't?

this knock also helped get one of the top 5 totals the BD team has ever got in ODIs, 2nd highest against top 8 teams.

awesome knock, certainly opened my eye's a bit, let's hope he keeps it up.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 08:40 AM
no one should get a free ride...

and back to what i was saying...under siddons our "sizable innings" against G8 sides has gone way up.

tamim 82
ash 70
sakib 75
sakib 108
raqib 89
alok 115

and scored by 4 different batsmen too. great stuff.

Eshen
June 28, 2008, 08:41 AM
I almost gave up on the man. I am really glad to see an experienced campaigner like him returning and cementing his place in the team in such a style.

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2008, 08:45 AM
Now opening shomoshha'ta shomadhan kortey parley'i we are set for 2011, and bring back Rasel.

Gowza
June 28, 2008, 08:45 AM
no one should get a free ride...

and back to what i was saying...under siddons our "sizable innings" against G8 sides has gone way up.

tamim 82
ash 70
sakib 75
sakib 108
raqib 89
alok 115

and scored by 4 different batsmen too. great stuff.

also 4 of the top 5 highest team totals have come under siddons, anyway i like this kapali and hope he stays for awhile.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
5 different batsmen actually

Zunaid
June 28, 2008, 08:50 AM

Now please stay focused! Bangladesh need your contribution to win/compete regularly.

Yes, congrats.

Let's make it a habit, now the demon is exorcised... and the mental block lifted.

Let's hope so. We had thought ash had his demons exorcised before too.

drstud
June 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
thanks Alok for the great innings for desh!

cricman
June 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ollie for President

Shobha
June 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
congratulations MR alok kapali.

you've certainly answered all the critics!

Eshen
June 28, 2008, 08:55 AM
great innings.

now u got excuse to stay in the team for next 6 years.
Rubu, please, keep anti-jinxing him :)

ialbd
June 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
congrats Alok..... eida ki dekhaili re.........

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 08:59 AM
Classy ODI 100.

Equally classy gesture from a classy Miraz ... :applause:

mac
June 28, 2008, 08:59 AM
That's what Kapali is capable of...
It was a great treat...I have always been a fan of him, but today he just was....jani na ki bolbo.

Murad
June 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
Classy ODI 100.

Equally classy gesture from a classy Miraz ... :applause:

lolz..

the thread was opened by the greatest critique of aloki.

good to see miraz bhai happy with aloki :-D

Mahmood
June 28, 2008, 09:04 AM
What a knock! Reminded of a young player named Alok Kapali who once started his career with all the promises of a world class batsman, then completely got lost.

I hope he pulls a Mesbah.

Razi
June 28, 2008, 09:08 AM

Miraz bhai i hope u don't mind but i have to say even u were completely hopeless about Kapali's batting and said that he should bat in no 8-10 position, but i always believed that this was a guy with immense talent but due to some problems he was not firing, i still believe he is one of the three talents along with Ash and Aftab who did not done justice to their name...!!!

Murad
June 28, 2008, 09:11 AM
highlights of alok's 100

19 mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?cyteioj4nxt

Zunaid
June 28, 2008, 09:15 AM
Dilep Premchandran of Circinfo on the match and Alex:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/asiacup/content/story/358433.html

At that stage, India might have scented the kill. Instead, with Kapali in free-stroking mood, the hunters became the hunted.

.. but once again, a pint-sized Bangladeshi batsman had left India with a bloody nose.

Tamim was the other half-pint. :)

MohammedC
June 28, 2008, 09:16 AM
Alok made my day off even more interesting.
Well done sir, we are proud of you

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 09:16 AM
Now Sid needs to amend his moronic "team rules" and "processing 240s", TEACH OUR BATSMEN HOW TO PLAY HIGH PERCENTAGE STROKES ALONG THE GROUND AND FIND GAPS, bring the Big Z and Dhiman back and allow them to play their natural game.

SS
June 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
Ki ar komu ...alok mia dhonnobad...finally u know how to do Eid
But our Eid boy scored 20 is he back to his early Mod what about our new Mr. Consistent he got our cheap too...bujtasina BD batsmen der ki hoitase...someday one hero other day they are zero

Zunaid
June 28, 2008, 09:26 AM
Now Sid needs to amend his moronic "team rules" and "processing 240s", TEACH OUR BATMEN HOW TO PLAY STROKES ALONG THE GROUND AND FIND GAPS, bring the Big Z and Dhiman back and allow them to play their natural game.

You know what, Sohel. I think Big Z has been posessed by the same demons that seem to afflict so many of our players - Ash, Alok, Tushar, SN... I wonder if we need to get together a team of ojhas and "bet pituni" the demons out.

Dhakablues
June 28, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hence, he is the mysterious Alok,, Alowkik Kapali.. Sometimes he transcends, sometimes he frustrates, he creates the controversies, he fires up everything,,, but had one Aftab not been injured,we probably wouldve missed this century against the huaghy Indians,, Nevertheless, I am glad now that we have a good competition at the middle order. Welcome back Alok Kapali,, they mysterious man of Bangladesh Cricket!!

nsd3
June 28, 2008, 09:50 AM
Fantastic effort!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Cricinfo said: "a pint-sized Bangladeshi batsman had left India with a bloody nose" - bravo.

Beamer
June 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
Congrats Alok. Great knock. Keep it coming..

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
You know what, Sohel. I think Big Z has been posessed by the same demons that seem to afflict so many of our players - Ash, Alok, Tushar, SN... I wonder if we need to get together a team of ojhas and "bet pituni" the demons out.

Agreed. Speaking from experience, professional cousneling doesn't work for these youngsters.

Big Z just needs the shackles taken off him and taught to use a softer bottom hand by Sid. He's mature and intelligent enough.

Rifat
June 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
highest score by a BD player against one of the big 8 teams as well isn't?

this knock also helped get one of the top 5 totals the BD team has ever got in ODIs, 2nd highest against top 8 teams.

awesome knock, certainly opened my eye's a bit, let's hope he keeps it up.

your reason justified for following our cricket :)

crikfreak
June 28, 2008, 11:12 AM
congratz alok!! fantastic knock:great::bravo:.. stay like this..:applause::applause: keep it up!:up:

WarWolf
June 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
Congrats Alok. Now we need your wonderful effort as a bowler also to win the match.

Rabz
June 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
That was a sensational knock by Alok.
Amazing under the circumstances.

Keep it up ALok.
You made us all proud today.

thebest
June 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
lolz..

the thread was opened by the greatest critique of aloki.

good to see miraz bhai happy with aloki :-D
Murad Vai,
Biggest critique of Alokoukik is Rubu. Miraz vai is a sidekick. Miraz vai already win his war with inclusion of Pilot. For you and others greatest fan and critique
HB: Tiger Eye
Pilot: Miraz
Golla: Spiity; you could also put my name there
Alok: Rubu
Sujon: Sauran (where is he? I miss him)

sbsash
June 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
Alok is the first Bangladeshi to score a century against India. Congrats Alok and keep it up!

BANFAN
June 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
Congrats ALEX, now carry on confidently with this form.

Shaan
June 28, 2008, 12:22 PM
Alok at last you opened some blind peoples eyes, some who even didn't see your games and put their made up biased criticism on you. Really happy to see you back in style.

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
Alok at last you opened some blind peoples eyes, some who even didn't see your games and put their made up biased criticism on you. Really happy to see you back in style.

Shaan is another believer in Ollie. Thanks for keeping the faith bro. Now let's pray that he actually SUSTAINS this success.

Dhruvo
June 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
Gratz to alok kapali for his maiden odi 100,I just hope you can keep getting 100's like this in the future.

Shaan
June 28, 2008, 12:39 PM
Shaan is another believer in Ollie. Thanks for keeping the faith bro. Now let's pray that he actually SUSTAINS this success.
Sohel I always beleieve Alok is talented batsman second to Ash in Bd(These two are my most favorite batsman in bd) since I saw his game against Westindies when Alok apppeared as a leggie and surprised people by fabolous batting. Same story with Ash went to Srilanka as a leggie and suprised people by his marvelous batting. I'm hoping that from now on he can play his natural game and keep the momentum on.

Spitfire_x86
June 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
Signed,
registered member of Alok fan club since 2002.

cricket_dorshok
June 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
Congrats man!

sandpiper
June 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
kudos to that brisk knock :clap::clap:

Hope to see those on a regular basis :flag:

BANFAN
June 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
Now Sid needs to amend his moronic "team rules" and "processing 240s", TEACH OUR BATSMEN HOW TO PLAY HIGH PERCENTAGE STROKES ALONG THE GROUND AND FIND GAPS, bring the Big Z and Dhiman back and allow them to play their natural game.

True, most of the boys are shaken by these rules and all. They should all try to play more of their natural game, but not to the extent of being foollish though. A little guidance on perfecting their sroke play will do a lot of good for the team.

Nocturnal
June 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
'fatafati' innings. Hope he scores like this more frequent!! Good Luck.

taklima_naj
June 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
waiting for a long time to see this type of innings from alok, hope will keep it up we all know he is able to do that

samjad
June 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
I thank ALEX for his great knock today. It was very entertaining!. But I don't want to get carried away yet. It might be a fluke all together. I might sound pesimistic but I wanna be carefull before I started depending on someone who is mr Undependable for soo long.

I want to give credit to Siddons for his team rules. Because of that team rules our middle order did not play rash shots as they would if they were allowed to play their natural shot. And he also did not try to hit too hard and score 30 runs in an over. If you have seen the innings most hittings came towards the end of the game which is exactly Siddons wanted.

SO I thank Alok as well as Siddons .

wiseshah
June 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
excellent job by A kapali. it should be set an example for the future players about dedication and hard work. An inform alok kapali is an asset for any team, i always agree. Once ravi shastri says, two players are worth watching batting in BD team, one is kapali and another is ashraful.

but i think, we have ashraful, kapali, aftab and tamim--4 watchable players

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
excellent job by A kapali. it should be set an example for the future players about dedication and hard work. An inform alok kapali is an asset for any team, i always agree. Once ravi shastri says, two players are worth watching batting in BD team, one is kapali and another is ashraful.

but i think, we have ashraful, kapali, aftab and tamim--4 watchable players

no doubt it was great, but the more i watch BD cricket, i realize that alok-aftab-ashraful are not the "best to watch" - though they may be the most talented. true, they have some amazing strokes, but i really like to watch tamim and raqibul, and little rahim when he's in form.

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2008, 03:55 PM
Congrats to alex for a great knock... I am really impressed by his clean hitting... he looked like a great finisher.

Good to see the progress of Rahim and Raqibul, if they can rotate the strike with a reasonable strike rate in the middle overs, then our team is in good shape... these two are willing to work hard for their runs.

Omio
June 28, 2008, 03:55 PM
congrates, one of the best innigs I have seen.

nahaz
June 28, 2008, 08:38 PM
Congrats Alok! One of the best paced innings by a Bd batsman. Dare I say, it was a master class for any no. 5/6 batsman in the world to follow.I'm proud of u.

You proved the critics wrong.Most are delighted to be proven wrong too.

<b>Best thing about this is it comes right after Ash's century and Rakib's two 80+ innings. Along with Sakib, we finally got our middle order together. If they try to be consistent, those days of considering 200+ scores as miracle are over.</b>

Congrats to Tamim too..just hope Nafees or Zunaed can give him consistent support in future. I'll be following the next game to see how many of them can deliver again.

KnightBD
June 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
Congrats Kapali :fanflag:
Suddenly the centuries are not "dumurer ful" any more! Great to see a number of players with capability of hitting century in the team! Are we going to be the new SriLanka in the next world cup?

Pundit
June 28, 2008, 08:52 PM

Why do you call it moronic - maybe a publicized target that in concept is reachable helps lay the foundation of a good stable innings.

Siddons is training the batsmen for 240, the difference between the 240 and the final score is a reflection of the batsmen's grit and focus of the day.

I am saddened that you have joined the bandwagon of crazy bashers who infest BC more than they ought to.

You certainly don't sound like a surfer dude sometimes.

Antora
June 28, 2008, 08:57 PM
It was just the best!!! I am not an Alok fan, but this was just woah! never expected him to play like this. I shall respect him more than i do from now on:).

Cash$$$
June 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
Amazing stuff from Alok.....Hope he continues his 'kapalicious' form in the next game as well.

Ajfar
June 28, 2008, 09:30 PM
this will give him sum confidence..hoping for sum more of this in the near future...

lamisa
June 28, 2008, 10:28 PM
Congrats Alok,gss i was quite wrong about him,now he needs 2 bring thosein more often.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 28, 2008, 10:29 PM
Classy knock from Alok! I really wish he continues to play this well in the future. Alok has lot to offer to Bd cricket.

Abd_Bakri
June 28, 2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats Kapali!
First of all i was never ever a kapali fan, well i guess gave me reason for not being a kapali fan... as someone wrote above he is the mysterious cricketer of bangladesh... i so agree with that post.... he really is mysterious... he shows he has class... but he has failed everytime he was given a chance... but a thing to be learnt for all cricketers, bcb, and us the fans is that his prolonged abscence from the national team probably gave him the time to think about his game... it gave him the time to know himself and thus start scoring runs... i believe he scored quite heavily in the domestic scene... if you score runs consistenly for 2 season in domestic league the person should automatically score atleast some handful runs in the intl. scene.... now i love ash when he is on song... i also love aftab when he is on song... but these two have been no different from kapali... i believe it is time that these two gets the same treatment... that is... drop them for a season or two... let them score heavily and force their way back in... another noteable person who has shown the importance of scoring in domestic league is mushy... i am big fan of this guy... he is a brilliant batsman but a horrible keeper... (the best keeper we had till date was pilot).... anyhow... mushy scored heavily... forced his way back in... and hasnt done all that bad... also not to forget raqibul... he shows a lot of promise... but then again nafees showed the same promise and then faded away... hope raqib doesnt fade away.... together raqib mushy and my man saqib could do wonders for the bd team... and ooo ya.... please bring back rasel and drop farhad reza... he cant bat bowl or field.... !!!!!!!

cricketboy
June 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
It shocks me how a batsman who can play such an innigs has an avg of 20. He needs to be consistent and once Shakib comes back there will be competition for places n the middle order which will be good for the team.

irteja
June 29, 2008, 01:32 AM
Congratulation Alok....well done mate

taklima_naj
June 29, 2008, 03:05 AM
well done, glad to congratulate you, hope u will be congratulted again . I

Foozy
June 29, 2008, 03:45 AM
Congrats to alok!! Hope he can maintain his intense flow.
I have been waiting for a high percentage innings from him for quite some time now, and very glad to see that he has exceeded my expectations for any one ODI innings. I just hope he can go on and carry on scoring heavily.

And again.... our team is building up to somethin good!!:D

GO BD!!!

sharjilh
June 29, 2008, 03:51 AM
extremely impressive knock....i still cant forget the sixes he hit

wow lol just hope that he can continue in this fashion :D

simon
June 29, 2008, 06:04 AM
Alok jey eto Alo chorabey asha korini.
Anyway gr8 innings by him & hope he keeps it up.
He has played some gr8 inning in 2003 agnst teams like W.Indies & other big teams.
Both Alok & Rakib are not making us feel that we dont have Sakib & Aft.

Sohel
June 29, 2008, 07:02 AM
Why do you call it moronic - maybe a publicized target that in concept is reachable helps lay the foundation of a good stable innings.

Siddons is training the batsmen for 240, the difference between the 240 and the final score is a reflection of the batsmen's grit and focus of the day.

I am saddened that you have joined the bandwagon of crazy bashers who infest BC more than they ought to.

You certainly don't sound like a surfer dude sometimes.

Pundit,

I like you and respect what you have to say, inspite of the unpleasant way you do it on occasion. So, I felt I needed to clarify my position to you the best way I could. The result, sadly, is this Vlad Mamu-esque post. Apologies in advance.

Things may not always be as they appear my brother. What you consider a “bandwagon” may actually be a gathering of legitimate opinions different than your own in the matter. Those opinions can come from a real Cricket giant like Ian Chappell who throughout the pre, mid and post game show in Star Cricket yesterday took potshots at Sid’s “team rules” as something absurd and amusing, or it could be my nephew Mugdho who lives in the immediate moment, doesn’t care too much about consequences, and just wants to see 4s and 6s. Mugdho is 8 years old.

You can see what you want to see in what other people have to say and make it all about your own POV, or, you can assess some of those opinions according to their own merit. You can either hear what you want to hear in light of your own unique experiences, or you may try and understand the same thing the way the author him or herself understands it or wants it understood.

The choice is always yours.

I can only speak for myself, so here it goes.

For me, good batting means “playing each ball according to its merit while being fully aware of the match situation.”

Choosing to play low percentage shots irrespective of match situation, or not paying attentions to footwork, back-lift and other fundamentals of batting or both, tend to make you overly generous to the opposition and pretty much eliminate your chances to compete in a competitive sport.

Now that’s bad batting because by playing those low percentage shots, or getting trapped and caught with your pants down or both, cannot constitute “playing each ball according to its merit while being fully aware of the match situation.”

Doing the opposite, meaning blocking bad deliveries, half-volleys and full-tosses and showing absolutely no interest finding the gaps or rotating the strike, all in the name of “staying in the middle” is also bad batting leading to the same ugly outcome.

Md. Al Shahariar Rokon and Javed Omar Belim Golla are two very different batsmen who despite the differences in their mindset, style and approach towards batting, have created the sort of undue pressure the rest of their team simply could not bear and still manage to compete.

There are other, perhaps better examples but I hope you know what I’m talking about.

Our young batsmen tend to be aggressive, often disinterested in good footwork, grip, back-lift and other basics, and lost enough in the rush of their mysterious compulsions and impulses to consistently black themselves out of match situations.

Sid, in order to address the destructive pattern, instituted “team rules” and “match goals”. Fine.

Sadly, something got lost in the translation and put our players in two minds with results far below our perhaps inflated expectations after the ODI World Cup of 2007. Zunaed Siddiqui, Aftab Ahmed, Dhiman Ghosh and even Md. Ashraful Matin, all young and gifted stroke-players despite their issues, handed their cojones to Sid, perhaps to be pickled for posterity, and became Gollafied.

The buck-wildin’ Gangsta Tamim Iqbal Khan on the other hand, decided to quit whatever he was on during the T20I World Championships, and learn to harness his God-gifted hand-eye coordination and become more of an orthodox batsman in the NCL, months before Sid arrived in the picture, by applying the fundamentals he has learned in the middle.

Sid’s abilities as a batting coach made him even better and he stands alone in a group where his teammates, by trying to follow the “team rule” of holding on to one’s wicket NO MATTER WHAT, simply robbed their team the chance to compete whenever they succeed in being what they are not. The fetish of improving their pitiful batting averages or scoring in “double figures” became more important than the fundamental purpose of representing your country at the highest level of a COMPETITIVE TEAM SPORT while the world was watching.

Md. Ashraful Matin has always been fond of playing low percentage aerial shots, but he also had the ability to play wonderfully middled high percentage drives along the ground and in the V. Since “team rules” those shots have pretty much disappeared. Instead, we see him just lose it from time to time after blocking half-volleys and full-tosses, and then try to dangerously late-cut deliveries that could be driven safely hoping the inside edge misses the stumps! Then there’s the lofted sitter to mid-on and the heartbreaking yet infuriating sight of our dejected Captain walking back to the dressing room, shaking his head at another missed opportunity.

But that’s A-OK because he has been scoring in “double figures” with a few match-killing 50s against the Top 8, and a match-winning 100 against the worst associate side I’ve seen in 10 years. When you’re not playing to win, complacency sets in, and some find success in personal achievement according to Big Brother.

Those who don’t or simply can’t be what they’re not, guys like Zunaed Siddiqui and Dhiman Ghosh, get demoted to the A Team after getting just a handful of chances. This pattern of punishing the wild Mustang simply because he can't quite hack it as a donkey, is dangerous and will get us nowhere.

Far worse than that, “the will to compete” in a sport that is after all a competitive one, is gone from their collective body, mind and spirit as a team. Scoring 200 or 240 has became more important than competing. A sort of quasi-nihilistic defeatism enshrouds the team with Jean Paul Sartre’s cross-eyed ghost brooding on from the depths of nothingness.

Shakib Al Hasan and Alok Kapali have been the sole exceptions during their magnificent knocks against Top 8 giants Pakistan and India respectively. Their free flowing improvisations on those “team rules” not only gave their team the theoretically probable chance to win, but also went far beyond the “team goal” in terms of runs.

The unorthodox Shakib possibly benefited from Sid’s real expertise, but Alok simply delivered the class we have witnessed first hand in domestic cricket since the 2006 season of the NCL at the highest level, after hopefully managing to chase away the purely psychological demons that have haunted him most of his International career.

Now no matter how Sid may try and spin his way into the maverick successes of Shakib and Alok, he continues to be on the defensive followed by one PR disaster after another.

By skewing actual facts from our past to suit his way of thinking – those not in agreement with that way simply being people who “know nothing about cricket” -- and on occasion being downright wrong about those facts, he ended up belittling the few achievements we have had, and playing with our intelligence and passion in an unacceptable manner. So the gloves came off and it got ugly.

Not very good cricket overall.

I for one, simply want him to succeed, and in order to succeed, he must overcome his denial of what went wrong and why, and how to set things right and move forward.

According to Ian Chappell, a coach needs to correctly assess the natural abilities of a batsman, help him harness and balance that talent in terms time-tested cricketing technique and wisdom, and motivate him to apply that balance in the middle so that he can help his team compete and win.

According to him, killing, rather than harnessing and developing the natural instincts of a player is not only counterproductive and absurd, but also akin to killing the spirit of the sport itself. Playing not to compete and win but simply to a meet some other, ultimately negative goal infuriated him enough to provoke bitter humor throughout the course of the match. He praised Alok because he “threw team rules out the window.”

Ian Chappell wants good batting just like most of us cricket fans.

In order to do that, Sid needs to clearly understand that besides the footwork, grip, back-lift and other technical issues, he needs to: -

> Teach our aggressive players how to 1) find the gaps and rotate the strike to keep pressure on the opposition, and 2) play high percentage strokes along the ground.

> Show his disapproval of bad blocks, gifted dot balls, and finding the fielder as passionately as his disapproval of playing low percentage aerial shots irrespective of the match situation. They need a balanced enhancement of what they are, not the sad caricature of what they cannot be without damaging themselves and their career.

> Pay attention to statistical details and facts of our past as they are. Instead of belittling our rare achievements as a test playing nation and killing the fire inside our young cricketers in the process, Sid needs to use those rarities to light the brighter fire that can take us to the next level.

These are basic things he needs to work into his system if he wants to succeed here in Bangladesh. While he’s at it, having a specialized and dedicated bowling coach by his side, not to mention a few more specialized bowlers such as Syed Rasel will also help quite a bit.

Sorry about the long post, but I’m certain that if you choose to have the time and do me the honor of putting yourself though it all, my position may actually become a bit clearer to you. I honestly don't see my position simply as jumping on a bandwagon, basking in the company of a lynch-mob looking for a new National Coach without granting Sid ample time to get real, learn from his errors, and succeed.

I try hard not to play such bad cricket, but at the end of the day, I'm a much better ice-hockey player who can surf a bit.

Peace … :)

Kabir
June 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
Just returned from a weekend trip to Ahmik Lake.

This indeed wasn't something that I was expecting. Brilliant! Just hope he continues to play to his potential, and gets to become a permanent member of the team. He deserves it.

Btw...congrats Sohel bhai :)

abu2abu
June 29, 2008, 03:30 PM
Pundit,

I like you and respect what you have to say, inspite of the unpleasant way you do it on occasion....

Good post sohel bhai. I often ignore pundit's post because of the pompous and obnoxious way they are put. I suspect many others do the same. That's a shame because there might be some merit to his views, but the way in which they are conveyed is often distateful and off-putting...

Eshen
June 29, 2008, 03:42 PM
'I'm a new batsman'

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=43479

Reflecting on his swashbuckling hundred, Alok Kapali said that it was his new beginning as a batsman.

"Before coming to Pakistan I thought this was my lucky ground as I made some runs and taken a hattrick when I was here last time (in 2003) and just the right place to start all over again," said Kapali, who smashed a 97-ball 115 against India at the Karachi National Stadium on Saturday.

"My late father believed in reincarnation and that's why I do too. From my cricket's perspective I hope this is a new beginning also," the soft-spoken cricketer added.

The 24-year-old stylish right-hander also said that he made slight changes in his batting to get back into runs.

"I identified the weaknesses in my batting myself. There were slight changes I had to make technically. Earlier I went across too much early on and that brought about my downfall often. I practiced playing with a straight bat and I made runs in the National Cricket League and the Premier League this season," said Kapali.

"There is so much work to be done. I was out of the national setup for a long time, almost two years, and now I need to earn my place again. I have to improve my fitness level also as I have not trained in the same pace as the national team. There is a lot of catching up to do," he said.

"All the while I was thinking of the team score and did not for once look at my runs on the scoreboard yesterday (Saturday). I planned my innings and followed the team rule. I knew that if I was there after 40 overs then I could play those big shots and that's why I started off playing as straight as possible and with low-risk shots. I practice those lofted shots too."

Eshen
June 29, 2008, 04:23 PM
Alok's interview in Prothom-Alo

http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MTA2MDIw&mid=OA==

Murad
June 29, 2008, 11:56 PM
Kapali, however, attributed the turn-around in his fortunes to himself. "I identified the weaknesses in my batting myself. There were slight changes I had to make technically," he said. "Earlier I went across too much early on and that brought about my downfall often. I practised playing with a straight bat and made runs in the National Championship and the Dhaka Premier League this season."

Kapali's New Begining (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/asiacup/content/current/story/358640.html)

bujhee kom
June 30, 2008, 12:33 AM
congrats to alok kapali for playing such an entertaining inning fillrf with some massive hits!
very best of luck to you. hope many more of these innings are on their way!

israr
June 30, 2008, 03:54 AM
The Birth or the 're-birth' of a new star in Bangladeshi cricket, Kapali!

PoorFan
June 30, 2008, 05:04 AM
Alok proved why Sohel in love with him, now only if he can keep his consistency, it will be hard for Sohel, Beamer to dominate all alone.;)

Sohel
June 30, 2008, 06:33 AM
Here’s a rough transliteration of the PA INTERVIEW WITH ALOK KAPALI (http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MTA2MDIw&mid=OA==) originally posted by Eshen HERE. (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=707964&postcount=74)

Excellent interview by US of PA, and totally deserving of its own thread IMHO. Sadly I just I wasn't able to open one.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/83ecab9e8a.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

“BREAKS MY HEART THAT DAD DID’T HAVE THE CHANCE TO SEE THE CENTURY.”

Utpaul Shubhro talks to the man of the moment. Still as humble, soft spoken, introverted and a little shy as ever.

US: Many people are looking at your century against India as a “re-birth” of sorts. How do YOU see it?

Ollie: I came here with a target: I just HAD to do well this tour. I had to do something extraordinary to stay in the team and knew it. Those not in the team at this moment, were performing well. There’s Shakib, Aftab and quite a few guys in the A Team.

US: “Doing well” means a century? How did you plan it?

Ollie: It was 120 for 4 when I came to bat. So I didn’t want to take any risks until the 40th over. I thought if we still have wickets in hand, we could hit our way to 260-270 in the last 10 overs.

US: The score was more than that. Now WE know you can play the type of shots you played, but a lot of folks were pretty amazed. It was like the Alok of 2002-03. How did you get that confidence back?

Ollie: I’ve been confident from the very beginning. I’ve had some decent knocks in the Premier League under difficult match situations. I’ve had big centuries in the National League also. I believed I would score.

US: We all had to go back to 2002 before this century. You were essential to the National Team even after those knocks against West Indies. How did you lose your way?

Ollie: I blame myself. I wasn’t in the runs for a long time. I’d play well before suddenly getting out.

US: We’ve also heard that too many suggestions from too many sources also created a bit of confusion for you.

Ollie: In retrospect, I realize that I was thinking too much about my batting. Footwork, back lift, … I was thinking too much about those things. Maybe I should’ve just played my natural game.

US: Perhaps Dav Whatmore made things a bit difficult for you also. In the 2004 tour of Zimbabwe, he made you an ODI specialist. Then we saw you open the ODI innings in West Indies only to have yourself dropped from ODIs. He also announced that he doesn’t see much of a future for you at this level.

Ollie: I don’t blame Whatmore at all. Everybody else was doing better then. He had told me many times that I have talent and if I worked hard, I’d do well at this level. I didn’t do well, perhaps that’s how he lost faith in me.

US: You just can’t say anything negative about anyone !

Ollie (chuckles): Not at all.

US: From being one of the top National batsmen to being dropped. Then the revolving door… must have been difficult times.

Ollie: It WAS difficult. I found myself quite depressed because I always wanted to play for Bangladesh and play for a long time. But many people also encouraged me during those times. My Premier League teammates Alok Da and Shahin Bhai always told me that I’d be able to return once I start to perform consistently. My family encouraged me also. My two elder brothers always picked me up when I though I had lost hope. I also believed that that if I performed consistently, I’d be able to get back to the team. I’ve spent a LOT of extra time in the nets.

US: And what a comeback! Now the challenge must be to sustain it.

Ollie: I know. It breaks my heart to think of my dad. He always dreamed of seeing me play for Bangladesh again, and see me do well. Breaks my heart that dad didn’t have the chance to see the century. He left us just two months ago.

US: After Aftab’s injury got you into the side, you said that you didn’t want to take anyone’s place. What did you mean by that?

Ollie: Injury cost me my place in the team. So, I know exactly what it feels like to be out of the team because of an injury or illness. Aftab must have felt awful about it. That’s why I said what I said.

US: Putting you in the A Team instead of the national Team was bizarre. Given your experience, why would it be difficult for you to adjust to International cricket?

Ollie: Although I felt a bit bad myself at first, I came to see that as an opportunity. I wasn’t ANYWHERE for a while there. No A Team or Academy cricket at all. I was just waiting for a chance. I believed that once I do, I’d be able to make use of it. That was my goal as I kept on playing. For example, I set a personal target to score 1000 runs in the NCL’s 4-day matches last season. I ended up scoring 1100 in 4-dayers and List A combined. I scored 695 in 4-dayers. I set specific NCL targets ever since being dropped from the national Team.

US: We remembered those two innings against the West Indies. But the cricket world knows you because of the hat trick. That was In Pakistan. Now your maiden century took place here also. One would assume you must like Pakistan quite a bit.

Ollie: I told a friend that Pakistan could be a beginning for me, before we got here. I did well here before, there’s the test hat trick, and a couple of ODI 50s as well. Maybe Pakistan is the lucky place for me.

I loved the way he handled Utpaul Shubhro’s lust for potential controversy: with simple honesty and class.

Class is permanent, no matter where you find some.

AsifTheManRahman
July 2, 2008, 09:58 AM
Alok's interview in Prothom-Alo

http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MTA2MDIw&mid=OA==

Let's see the captain or the khali kolshi tackle that kind of heat without raising controversy.

akabir77
July 2, 2008, 10:18 AM
He handled the interview very nicely. well done. It shows mature head is what you need in cricket not some dudehr bacha....

ANyway good luck Kapali. don't be a ASH be a rakibul. Stay away from ash make friends with sakib and rakib...

nycpro96
July 2, 2008, 02:38 PM
You see, Aftab Ahmed, what real slogging is? Slogging isn't hitting two sixes and getting out on the next ball. It's consistent BOOM BOOM playing just like your teammate Alok Kapali just did. I think if Aftab were to slog, why not like this?