PDA

View Full Version : a few thoughts...

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
after posting 280+ against major opposition for the 2nd time in 10 or so matches, here are a few thoughts:

1) alok's clean hitting surprised me. yes he was beaten a few times, and may have caught a leading edge once or twice and was dropped once (the second drop doesn't count as he had passed 100 and was in the slog overs), but it was a great knock. previously i had thought alok was a guy who nudged the ball around for singles, but 5 sixers is impressive.

2) ash's lack of clean hitting. maybe he was never a very good clean hitter, i don't know. but he is seriously not looking very good with inside edges and swing and miss shots. aside from his addiction to be dismissed in either of 2 fashions: extreme bad luck or completely throwing his wicket away.

somehow he manages to not get out for ducks and score at least 10-20 runs, but the guy has got to start averaging 30+ against Great 8 teams. hopefully, he is just taking some time to adjust to siddons' new schemes.

3) most important is the new found batting depth, at least on subcontinent pitches flat as pancakes. one of raqibul, saqibul, tamim, alok seems to be firing to big 50+ scores and just missing the 100. i think siddons' next move is to psychologically train the battters to continue even when they reach 70 or 80 runs.

4) raqibul hasan. this guy really looks good. can play at any gear, and always looks cool. no rash shots. i just hope he keeps it up and improves a la tamim and doesn't fade like rajin, SN, and the old sakib.

BANFAN
June 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
Good thoughts Al Furqan, Yes a few guys are coming up solid. Hope they keep up their hardwork and really gets solid. We will be a side to beat any team on any day, if that happens.

cricman
June 28, 2008, 01:46 PM
2) ash's lack of clean hitting. maybe he was never a very good clean hitter, i don't know. but he is seriously not looking very good with inside edges and swing and miss shots. aside from his addiction to be dismissed in either of 2 fashions: extreme bad luck or completely throwing his wicket away.

somehow he manages to not get out for ducks and score at least 10-20 runs, but the guy has got to start averaging 30+ against Great 8 teams. hopefully, he is just taking some time to adjust to siddons' new schemes.

He's trying the cut shot and not succeeding, I'd rather him go with the Bloody Cover Drive ... He can hit the ball clean as a whistle if the pitch has bounce ... Hard for him to generate his own power considering he's 5'3.

Sayeed Haque
June 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
I am now getting seriously optimistic about our future. I think we have solid 10 players in 1.Tamim, 2. Ashraful, 3. Aftab, 4. Raquibul, 5.Saquibul, 6. Alok, 7. Mushfiq, 8.Mashrafe, 9. Razzak and 10. Shahadat. The 11th place needs to be an opener to partner Tamim but that would leave one bowler short. So, for the 11th place we could take either Rasel or Farhad provided someone fromthe list of 10 can partner Tamim.

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
He's trying the cut shot and not succeeding, I'd rather him go with the Bloody Cover Drive ... He can hit the ball clean as a whistle if the pitch has bounce ... Hard for him to generate his own power considering he's 5'3.

Spot on. What the F happen to his Cover Drive anyway ?

zainab
June 28, 2008, 03:32 PM
BD is in dire need of a good opener to complement Tamim. Nazimuddin should now be dropped, he lacks confidence. Shariar nafees is still better than him.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
ash basically has the cover drive as his shot. he looks fabulous when playing it, and yes he can smack the stuffing out of the ball.

i think ash has to have a makeover as an anchor type batsmen. a guy who score say 60 from 75 balls with maybe 3 or 4 boundaries. i.e a guy who can keep the RR at 5-6 an over just using singles. he is capable, but he needs to make that his bread and butter. he can be a little afridi on occaision when he's "in his eid zone" or the asking rate requires some hard hitting.

Zunaid
June 28, 2008, 03:51 PM

Yes, that amazing cover drive of his. Remember his magical 158 against India? That innings would make it into many tops. He hadn't yet tried his paddle scoop then.

Fahim
June 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
ash basically has the cover drive as his shot. he looks fabulous when playing it, and yes he can smack the stuffing out of the ball.

i think ash has to have a makeover as an anchor type batsmen. a guy who score say 60 from 75 balls with maybe 3 or 4 boundaries. i.e a guy who can keep the RR at 5-6 an over just using singles. he is capable, but he needs to make that his bread and butter. he can be a little afridi on occaision when he's "in his eid zone" or the asking rate requires some hard hitting.

i personally belive that type of role belongs to Rakibul! :-D

Eshen
June 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
Ashraful - really really needs to learn how to play his shots along the ground.

Tamim - needs to learn how to pull, otherwise he will stay suspect against back of the length deliveries. It's fine with me if he does not want to hook.

Mushfiq - too biased on front foot, needs to develop his backfoot shots.

In general - most of the BD batsmen needs to learn how to cut properly. Except for one or two batsmen, all of them play the shot too close to their bodies. They need to watch how Pakistanis rock back and create space while playing the shot.

roaring tigerz
June 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Ash is experiencing the growing pains. Trying to pretty much transform his game by resisting his natural urge to hit the ball in the air every other ball. Seems like Siddons also wants him to get him settled into the #3 slot and expects him to be the pillar of our batting. Ash will be prone to his occasional brain farts, but his batting over the last couple of months makes me believe that he is willing to learn.

About Alok, his century definitely ranks up there with the best innings by a Bangladeshi in the international arena. It would be a pity if we have to wait another 5 years for another aloukik innings.

I agree that Raqibul is the most impressive young Bangladeshi batsman to have emerged recently. For a change we have someone willing to build an innings and with a compact technique. He has a way to go to be the complete package, but everything indicates to a long stint in the team.

Eshen
June 28, 2008, 08:10 PM
Shahadat -
1) Why he always bowls so wide from the crease ? Needs to come closer to the stumps sometimes.
2) Needs to be more consistent bowling in right areas.
3) Needs to develop a well disguised slower delivery.
4) Needs to learn how to cut the ball (Mashrafe can be a good teacher here).

Cash$$$
June 28, 2008, 09:10 PM
Return of Nafees and Aftab will complete this team along w/ Rasel.

nahaz
June 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
Battingwise, the rules are definitely helping stabilise our batsmen. Siddons not knowing our batsman's past glory is helping create a more result driven environment. Aftab must be S***ing in his pants now.

We seriously need to stabilise our bowling now. Pace bowling options- Mash, Shahadat, Rasel, Farhad Reza. We need to just stick with these four as much as we can. They need to have specific roles.Eg. Mash should contain with tight line while aiming for wickets during opening, shahadat for wickets.Rasel for just line and length when opening, Reza for only line and length. (Any 3)
Spinners should be Razzak, Sakib, Alok.