PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 batsman ever

bublu_hbk
July 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
Who according to you are the Top 3 batsman of all time ? Mine would be -

1. Donald Bradman - No questions asked !! Cricket 'bible' WISDEN rates him as the
greatest Test batsman ever.

2. Sachin Tendulkar - WISDEN rates him as the 2nd greatest Test and ODI batsman
ever.

3. Vivian Richards - WISDEN rates him as the 3rd greatest Test batsman and the
greatest ODI batsman ever.

So basically my personal preference is the same as WISDEN's. What would be your list of top 3 batsman ever ?

Shaan
July 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
Lara, Sahcin, King viv these are the people ever great batsmen who I saw and still seeing playing with extraordinary bating caliber. When they bat bating looks kind of art and aesthetic.

Baundule
July 3, 2008, 09:15 AM
1. Ashraful - No question asked. The heart of our batting.
2. Shahriar Nafis - Best ever minnow-killer.
3. Golla vai - Best ever test-in-ODI batsman.

Tigers_eye
July 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
Some of the esteemed members think Ash can become Tendulkar. If Ash can become Tendulkar how hard would it be for him to nudge ahead? Even by just a little. Tendy is skipping lot of games due to Tennis (He loves watching Federer).

I demand Ash getting the second position for the sake of those members.

Razi
July 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
1.Abdurrajjakraj
2.MaMu
3.Rajipova

Tigers_eye
July 3, 2008, 09:28 AM
3.Rajipova
How could I have overlooked her. She is the best!! AAAAHHH!!

cricket_dorshok
July 3, 2008, 09:32 AM
1. Golla
2. Durjoy
3. Mushfiq babu

thebest
July 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
1. Ashraful
2. Daylight
3. Alok

Sohel
July 3, 2008, 09:45 AM
1. Rokon.
2. Tushar.
3. Nazimuddin.

mahbubH
July 3, 2008, 09:49 AM
1. Faisal Hossain (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55889.html)
2. Sanower Hossain
3. Hannan Sarkerhttp://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/062004/052745.icon.jpg

Sohel
July 3, 2008, 09:51 AM
Sanuar, Mushphik Babu and NR Biporjauy shouldn't be there. We are not talking about "all rounders" here ... :floor:

mahbubH
July 3, 2008, 09:52 AM
I choose Sanower because of nice cricinfo profile!

Shobha
July 3, 2008, 09:54 AM
1)nazimuddin
2)nazimuddin
3)nazimuddin

Rabz
July 3, 2008, 01:23 PM
Three best ever for me would be:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. Mark Waugh<o:p></o:p>
2. Brian Lara<o:p></o:p>
3. Sachin Tendulkar<o:p></o:p>
Guys like Gilchrist, Ponting probably missed my top 3 by the slightest margin, but they are equally joy to watch.<o:p></o:p>
Greatest Legends of cricket like Sir Badman and Sir Viv Richards dont make my top list simply because i didnt see them batting Live. I've have watched Sir Viv on tele when they telecasting the old matches, but it doesnt do the same as watching a live match.<o:p></o:p>
When Ashraful on song, he just supersedes everyone.<o:p></o:p>

cricman
July 3, 2008, 01:25 PM
Bradman
Flower
Tendulkar

Zeeshan
July 3, 2008, 01:41 PM
1. Dollar Mahmud
2. Jonathan Agnew
3. K. Weeraratne

Sovik
July 3, 2008, 06:24 PM
Brian Lara
Brian Lara
Brian Lara

enaner
July 3, 2008, 06:58 PM
Tamim Iqbal
Raqibul Hasan
Nazimuddin!

Alien
July 4, 2008, 02:15 AM
Brian Lara
Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya

Alien
July 4, 2008, 02:16 AM
Are people on drugs? Putting Nazimuddin and Hanna Sarker in the list.

One World
July 4, 2008, 02:25 AM
Aslam, Chunnu, Kaiser Hamid

bdchamp20
July 4, 2008, 04:26 AM
Leather Liton
Murgi Milon
Kala Jahangir

They were all cricketers before they changed their professions. I saw them bat in a charity match between Mumbai Underworld XI captained by Dawood Ibrahim and Dhaka Underworld XI captained by Tarek Rahman.

Murad
July 4, 2008, 04:28 AM
Leather Liton
Murgi Milon
Kala Jahangir

They were all cricketers before they changed their professions. I saw them bat in a charity match between Mumbai Underworld XI captained by Dawood Ibrahim and Dhaka Underworld XI captained by Tarek Rahman.

:lol: :lol:

bublu_hbk
July 4, 2008, 07:16 AM
Please be serious people. What's your top 3 batsman ever, seriously ?

Sovik
July 4, 2008, 08:07 AM

Brian Lara, never gave rat's a** about any other batsman

thebest
July 4, 2008, 08:18 AM
Ok I am serious. The three are
1. Nazim Uddin
2. Tusher Islam
3. Faisal Hossain Dickens

If you want a thread for serious discussion open such thread; otherwise people would make fun. Anyone who have basic historical knowledge of cricket history would consider Bradman as the best batsman. Then others. Viv, Headly (aka Black Bradman), Pollock, Hobbs, Hammond (there was rivallary who was best Bradman or Hammond just like today we compare Lara and Tendu), Sutcliff and how many you want. Even Wisden fail o reach an unanimous decesion who is the second and subsequent best batsmen in the 20th century;

israr
July 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
Bradman, Richards, and Lara over Tendulkar(enough reasons to prove why Lara is better than Tendu).

Eshen
July 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
Lara, Sachin, and Viv.

Sohel
July 5, 2008, 04:58 AM
The WORST ever, in order: -

1. Sir Donald Bradman, just look at his average, not to mention the tours of England.

2. Sir Vivian Richards, just look at the joy with which he batted, and the subsequent joy he generated in our hearts.

3. Brian Lara, just look at the size of his 100s, his 200s, his 300, his 400 and FC 500!

israr
July 5, 2008, 05:38 AM

1. Sir Donald Bradman, just look at his average, not to mention the tours of England.

2. Sir Vivian Richards, just look at the joy with which he batted, and the subsequent joy he generated in our hearts.

3. Brian Lara, just look at the size of his 100s, his 200s, his 300, his 400 and FC 500!

Wow, I just mentioned those names, but you explained it for me.
Thanks!!

bublu_hbk
July 5, 2008, 07:09 AM

The problem I have with Lara is his inconsistency. He have been horribly inconsistent till 2002. Since 2003 till 2005 he scored runs @ average above 50 per year. That's why I prefer Tendulkar over Lara. Also, Tendulkar's artistic batting for me is much more attractive.

Alien
July 5, 2008, 07:42 AM
The problem I have with Lara is his inconsistency. He have been horribly inconsistent till 2002. Since 2003 till 2005 he scored runs @ average above 50 per year. That's why I prefer Tendulkar over Lara. Also, Tendulkar's artistic batting for me is much more attractive.

Tell me about it. His only game I missed during that period and he goes and score 400. Other times it's more fun watching Ashraful than him.

nasimul
July 5, 2008, 07:53 AM
Best ever: Sir Al-Shahariar Rokon, Sir Tushar Imran, Sir Hannan Sarkar. Nazim (need couple of "successful" tours to get the Sir title) to replace Sir Hannan Sarkar soon.

Worst ever: Viv, Sachin, Lara

bublu_hbk
July 5, 2008, 07:54 AM
Tell me about it. His only game I missed during that period and he goes and score 400. Other times it's more fun watching Ashraful than him.

Actually in that innings of 400*, he was out for a duck, caught by the wicket-keeper off Steve Harmison's bowling. But the umpire Darell Hair misjudged it. I have the entire video of that innings.

Sovik
July 5, 2008, 05:40 PM
Actually in that innings of 400*, he was out for a duck, caught by the wicket-keeper off Steve Harmison's bowling. But the umpire Darell Hair misjudged it. I have the entire video of that innings.

he wasn't out. i have the dvd of that innings. there was a sound but it wasn't from the bat. if it was, lara would have walked. have you ever seen him staying at the crease waiting for umpire's decision

bublu_hbk
July 5, 2008, 10:48 PM
he wasn't out. i have the dvd of that innings. there was a sound but it wasn't from the bat. if it was, lara would have walked. have you ever seen him staying at the crease waiting for umpire's decision

How can the source of the sound be anything else when the only thing that was in contact with bat was the ball ? The moment the ball passed the bat, there was a clear sound which couldn't have been anything but the ball nicking the bat. It's possible that Lara may have not realized that nick.

Nafis_BD
July 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
For me it's really tough to decide the top 3 batsmen ever in the world of cricket. My choices are really similar to Sohel bhaiya's but for me number 3 would be Sachin. I love the way Lara plays and all that but I just never got the kind of joy I got by watching Sachin from (most of) Lara's innings.

Neverthless they all are greats and are definitely among the best batsmen the cricket world has ever seen !!

Sovik
July 6, 2008, 09:09 AM
How can the source of the sound be anything else when the only thing that was in contact with bat was the ball ? The moment the ball passed the bat, there was a clear sound which couldn't have been anything but the ball nicking the bat. It's possible that Lara may have not realized that nick.

there was a sound and i am not denying that but hair didn't think it was an edge and lara didn't walk. to me, if lara didn't walk that means he wasn't out. if english players heard that sound, lara would have to.

and he scored 400 after that incident. so there's no way you could deny his genius. and he had been carrying a sorry team on his shoulder for more than a decade. if he had players like dravid, ganguly or hussey, martin he would been able to play more freely and could have scored few more runs.

and how many times he was given out when he wasn't.

Sohel
July 6, 2008, 09:31 AM
Sir Gary Sobers and the Great Tendulkar are on my worst 5 list.

Tendy would've fared worse than Lara had he scored more big 100s and 200s, and not walked so many times in the 90s ... :(

In terms of style, every individual has his or her preference, so by the end of the innings, it's about runs on the board IMHO.

thebest
July 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
Bablu_hbk,
if there was a genuine knick do you think the sorry sour English press would spare him for a second. They still did not forget about the Hand of God whenevr there was a mention of greatest individual goal. There was no knick. I do not have the DVD, but there are many sources of sound bat hitting flap of pad which could give you a sharp sound like bat

BanCricFan
July 6, 2008, 10:33 AM
Viv Richards
Barry Richard
Tendulkar/Lara

Bradman belongs to different era.

Sohel
July 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
I used to have a poster of Barry Richards in my room when I was 11.

Dhruvo
July 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
IMO
1:Brain Lara
2:Adam Gilchrist
3:Kevin Peiterson

bublu_hbk
July 7, 2008, 12:40 AM
Bablu_hbk,
if there was a genuine knick do you think the sorry sour English press would spare him for a second. They still did not forget about the Hand of God whenevr there was a mention of greatest individual goal. There was no knick. I do not have the DVD, but there are many sources of sound bat hitting flap of pad which could give you a sharp sound like bat

The was absolutely nothing that could have hit the bat other than the ball. The bat was nowhere near the pads or the ground. The only thing that was in contact with that bat was the ball. Anyone even with a 'White stick and a walking dog' can make out once watching the video that Lara did nick the ball. I mean Lara's bat was away from his body, and way above the ground. It would be against the rule of nature if the sound was anything else other than the bat nicking the ball.

Sovik
July 7, 2008, 04:20 AM
The was absolutely nothing that could have hit the bat other than the ball. The bat was nowhere near the pads or the ground. The only thing that was in contact with that bat was the ball. Anyone even with a 'White stick and a walking dog' can make out once watching the video that Lara did nick the ball. I mean Lara's bat was away from his body, and way above the ground. It would be against the rule of nature if the sound was anything else other than the bat nicking the ball.-

cry all you want but that wasn't a nick.

BD-Shardul
July 7, 2008, 04:36 AM
Top three Batsmen EVER: :fire:

01. Khondoker Mohammed Rajin Saleh Alam
02. Javed Omar Belim Golla
03. Qazi Habibul Bashar Sumon

bublu_hbk
July 7, 2008, 12:32 PM
-

cry all you want but that wasn't a nick.

Excuse me, I'm giving out facts not some lame opinions. And it seems you are the one trying to convince yourself that it wasn't a nick, while disregarding human logic.

Sovik
July 7, 2008, 01:09 PM
Excuse me, I'm giving out facts not some lame opinions. And it seems you are the one trying to convince yourself that it wasn't a nick, while disregarding human logic.

it wasn't a nick

Mahir
July 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
Three best ever for me would be:ffice:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1. Mark Waugh<o:p></o:p>
2. Brian Lara<o:p></o:p>
3. Sachin Tendulkar<o:p></o:p>
Guys like Gilchrist, Ponting probably missed my top 3 by the slightest margin, but they are equally joy to watch.<o:p></o:p>
Greatest Legends of cricket like Sir Badman and Sir Viv Richards dont make my top list simply because i didnt see them batting Live. I've have watched Sir Viv on tele when they telecasting the old matches, but it doesnt do the same as watching a live match.<o:p></o:p>
When Ashraful on song, he just supersedes everyone.<o:p></o:p>

My post would have said similar things. Heck, the choices for Top 3 would be the same as well (in reverse order though). :)

bublu_hbk
July 7, 2008, 02:20 PM
it wasn't a nick

Try repeating it 1000 times .... maybe you'll convince yourself someday.

Sovik
July 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
Try repeating it 1000 times .... maybe you'll convince yourself someday.

i have convinced myself 4 years ago. look, no matter what you say, if Lara didn't walk, he wasn't out. its plain and simple.

bublu_hbk
July 8, 2008, 08:11 AM
i have convinced myself 4 years ago. look, no matter what you say, if Lara didn't walk, he wasn't out. its plain and simple.

It would be plain and simple for you, not for normal human beings. Lara may not have realized that nick. Anybody with 2 ears and 2 eyes and an unbiased mind can make it out after watching the video a number of times that it was a nick. Where did the sound come from ? Heaven ? Or Hell ? And how did the sound come up as soon as the ball went past the bat ? How can the source of the sound be anything else when the only thing that was near the bat was the ball ? This isn't a complex physics formula, simple human logic.

asterix
July 8, 2008, 12:06 PM
... if Lara didn't walk, he wasn't out. its plain and simple.

Maybe you are a type fan of Lara who sees no evil in him(no matter what),even if is proved it in black and white,that's the impression I got.From your post it seems like Lara is above others.

Well,there are people who think and judge differently,In my book Lara is not even in top 5
batsmen.

Sovik
July 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe you are a type fan of Lara who sees no evil in him(no matter what),even if is proved it in black and white,that's the impression I got.From your post it seems like Lara is above others.

Well,there are people who think and judge differently,In my book Lara is not even in top 5
batsmen.

there's no evil in him. he is the batsman who carried windies on his shoulder for more than a decade. he played superb innings. he won matches on his own. i've never seen him staying in the crease when he's out. he never looks at the umpire and he walks where as few players would try to convince that they weren't out

Sovik
July 8, 2008, 01:04 PM
It would be plain and simple for you, not for normal human beings. Lara may not have realized that nick. Anybody with 2 ears and 2 eyes and an unbiased mind can make it out after watching the video a number of times that it was a nick. Where did the sound come from ? Heaven ? Or Hell ? And how did the sound come up as soon as the ball went past the bat ? How can the source of the sound be anything else when the only thing that was near the bat was the ball ? This isn't a complex physics formula, simple human logic.

trust me i am as normal as a man can be.

Shaan
July 8, 2008, 01:53 PM

Man it wasn't nick.. only you think that, rest know the real fact including umpire and players on the ground plus the commentators, so why r u keeping arguing about that. And if he was out then what thats part of the game too It doesn't make Lara less greater by your delusional argument. If you don't like him even that doesn't make him less quality player, you know that. whether he was out or not you are not defining, it is umpires job, so legally he was not out, thats the real story here. So how much you cry for that out thats sound very funny.

israr
July 8, 2008, 02:14 PM

batsmen.

I guess then Tendulkar is also not there in your list of top 5 batsmen.

Shaan
July 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
I guess then Tendulkar is also not there in your list of top 5 batsmen.
you said it bro :up:

bublu_hbk
July 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
Bumpty Bump ........

Rabz
July 11, 2008, 01:25 PM
My post would have said similar things. Heck, the choices for Top 3 would be the same as well (in reverse order though). :)

as they say....
Great minds think alike.....:-D