PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe pull out of World Twenty20 - Group A

Roni_uk
July 4, 2008, 06:58 AM
Does this mean we qualify to super 8 automatically? Whats gonna happen to the tickets I bought for the match?

source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/359622.html

Zimbabwe have agreed to pull out of next year's Twenty20 World Cup in England, clearing the roadblocks for the competition to be staged there, but will retain their status as Full Member of the ICC and receive funding as usual. They will also receive their full participation fee for the tournament.

"We have decided to pull out in the larger interests of the game," Peter Chingoka, the chairman of Zimbabwe Cricket, told Cricinfo. "We have been informed that the British government may not grant visas to our players, and that situation may prevail during the Twenty20 World Cup. We don't want to be gatecrashers."

"It was a collective decision and I was a part of that decision," Sharad Pawar, the BCCI president, told Cricinfo.

"The full membership of Zimbabwe is currently not in doubt," ICC president David Morgan said. "There was not even a discussion on the issue of Zimbabwe's membership. Everybody stands to benefit from the decision. Zimbabwe will be entitled to participation fees in the tournament like any other member. The ICC could not jeopardise the tournament."

The decision, Chingoka said, pertained only to the tournament in England. "We are now looking forward to more tours and international cricket with our Asian friends, especially India."

The Zimbabwe issue had occupied a large part of the discussions during the ICC executive board meeting, which carried over to an unscheduled third day on Friday after a failure to reach a consensus.

Some countries, led by England and South Africa, had been pushing for Zimbabwe to be stripped of Full Member status but that move had been opposed by India.

Ray Mali, the former ICC president, has recommended the setting up of a sub-committee to "advise the ICC board on all matters relating to Zimbabwe cricket including its return to full participation in the international game. The specific terms of reference for the sub-committee will be finalised in due course." The sub-committee, if approved, will chaired by Julian Hunte, the head of the West Indies board, and include Arjuna Ranatunga and another official (who hasn't been confirmed).

Norman Arendse, the president of Cricket South Africa, was satisfied with the ICC's resolution on Zimbabwe. "Cricket South Africa welcomes the ICC resolution on Zimbabwe as a step forward in the right direction," Arendse said. "The Zimbabwe issue is difficult and complex, and was discussed at length. At least, the ICC decision extricates all Full Member countries from the potential problem of the Twenty20 tournament to be played in England in 2009.

"CSA's recently articulated position in relation to Zimbabwe Cricket will, however, remain as is, until the Zimbabwe situation is resolved to the satisfaction of all parties concerned."

More to follow..

Ajay Shankar is deputy editor of Cricinfo in Bangalore

bdchamp20
July 4, 2008, 07:07 AM
Why would you buy tickets for BD vs Zim? Haven't you seen enough of them getting beaten by us.

Sohel
July 4, 2008, 08:17 AM
Smart move by ZimCri.

Now just wait until that lunatic murderer falls from power.

Rabz
July 4, 2008, 08:28 AM
How convenient for Zim Cricket!

No need to play games, but still getting the gate money, full funding from ICC and retain the full membership!

Just another way for Mugabe's chamcha to plunder more money.

Ajfar
July 4, 2008, 09:05 AM
er mane ki amra sorashori super 8 e..nake onno kono team zim ke replace korbe??

Zunaid
July 4, 2008, 10:37 AM
How convenient for Zim Cricket!

No need to play games, but still getting the gate money, full funding from ICC and retain the full membership!

Just another way for Mugabe's chamcha to plunder more money.

And another contemptible act from within the ICC prompted by even more contemptible pressure from some members states.

bharat
July 4, 2008, 10:59 AM
I see this as a win for England.There has to be a stop on which board decides to play in which country.

This started with the Aussies not playing in SL and reached its peak when the imperial British did not play in Zim citing political reasons in 2003 WC

Again I repeat if the so called rogue nations like N.Korea, Iran can play the Olympics why cant the Zim play in England.No one would notice if Iran and N.K dint play in the Olympics in a body of 200+ countries.

But Cricket hardly has a dozen countries that follow the game, England decided that it does not want Zim and it got rid of it ..

Lets say , hypothetically (completely unlikely but for argument sake) India tommorow has a problem with BD, citing some silly reason like supporting terrorism or what not (again this hypothetical) and decides to get rid of BD.Who will stop it ..a precedent has been set.

A bad day for cricket ...at most the country that has a problem should abstain from touring and nothing more.

Have to ask who is the rougue nation here, England or Zim.

detroitpagla
July 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
bangladesh should get kicked out as well!

crikfreak
July 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
so how can BD and england qualify just like tht?? it wouldn't be fair on other countries.. mainly minnows.. they cant just give us easy access.. thts not fair..

Roni_uk
July 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
I put this mail deliberately ina bangladesh cricket and not int cricket because it impacts bangladesh being in group A.

anyway.. i like detroitpagle's comment on us getting kicked out too. its not fair to send us to second round without any competition. They should bring the irish in the team...

brockley
July 4, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yes the money will go to muagbie,zimbabwe board is corrupt.
No zimbabwe will be replaced by an associate team.
Never thought the icc would get enough votes to vote zimbabwe out.
But yes zimbabwe gets the money without participating what gives.

Eshen
July 5, 2008, 01:59 AM
Does this mean we qualify to super 8 automatically? Whats gonna happen to the tickets I bought for the match?

I believe a third associate country will take up Zim's place in the tournament.

brockley
July 5, 2008, 10:21 PM
Yes.

Nafis_BD
July 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
What kind of a decision is this? I don't see what's the problem with Zim touring England.......it's not fair for Zim or for the other teams. I really think the decision could have been much better and fair too!!

bharat
July 6, 2008, 01:30 AM
What kind of a decision is this? I don't see what's the problem with Zim touring England.......it's not fair for Zim or for the other teams. I really think the decision could have been much better and fair too!!

No Nafis, the issue will be pushed under the carpet now, England got what it wanted now , not have Zim in England, they got what they wanted.

The baby is off with its lollipop !!!

mijanur
July 9, 2008, 11:22 AM
if zimbabwe cant play the 20 20 game in england who will replce them.
also bangladesh were in the same group as them

abdulmukit
July 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
if zimbabwe cant play the 20 20 game in england who will replce them.
also bangladesh were in the same group as them

it would be one of the associate team that didnt qualified for the event.

Roni_uk
July 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
I put a similar thread but got moved to some useless folder...

but anyway.. I wanna know whats going to happened to my ticket that i bought for BD v ZIM in Trent Bridge.. I really dont want to go to some associate match

abdulmukit
July 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
I put a similar thread but got moved to some useless folder...

but anyway.. I wanna know whats going to happened to my ticket that i bought for BD v ZIM in Trent Bridge.. I really dont want to go to some associate match

you have no other choice but to watch an associate game instead of zimbabwe.

Cricinfo staff

July 4, 2008

Zimbabwe's withdrawal from the ICC World Twenty20 in England in 2009 has opened the way for a third Associate county to be invited from next month's ICC World Twenty20 Qualifiers.

The leading Associates meet in Belfast between August 2 and 4 with the top two gained an automatic place in the main event the following June.

"The third associate will come through the qualifiers in August this year," Samir Inamdar, the chairman of the ICC's Affiliates and Associates, told Cricinfo. "I have had a conversation with Giles Clarke, the ECB chairman, who has agreed that it is logical to replace Zimbabwe with an Associate."

Electrequiem
July 10, 2008, 08:42 PM
And another contemptible act from within the ICC prompted by even more contemptible pressure from some members states.

Le Dieu, BCCI.

auntu
July 14, 2008, 02:51 AM
It should be very sad news for any Zimbabweans. If they can participate in football why not cricket? I think because cricket is the only sport where England plays a major role in terms of decision making which makes the difference.