PDA

View Full Version : What's the best cricket book you have ever read?

Zeeshan
July 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
My favorite is Cricket's Strangest Matches: Extraordinary but True Stories from 150 Years of Cricket (Strangest) by Andrew Ward

How about you folks? Quote some of your favorite passage from the book...

And as for me, here's some info. from back cover:

"They include an account of of the game that was played on the ice; the game in which two professionals took on eleven amateurs; the match where both teams were all out for nought; then there was the game where one-armed players took on one-legged players and the one in which the last man scored 163!"

:)

Nafis_BD
July 8, 2008, 07:30 PM
I read one long time ago so I couldn't remember the name but I think it was about the strategies in cricket and how to be a good player/captain/batsmen/etc. I wish I still had that book!!

Kabir
July 8, 2008, 11:42 PM
Never read one!

RazabQ
July 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
All Round View - Imran Khan's Autobiography
Sober's Autobiography
Bradman's coaching manual.

Read all 3 and highly recommend em.
If Akram or Troy Cooley has a book on reveres swing, I'd buy that

sbsash
July 9, 2008, 03:34 AM
I don't remember ever reading a cricket book.

Sovik
July 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
i am reading this book at this moment

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412TiQARypL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fazal
July 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
Cricket bookies?

Go to www.cricketbookies.com

JonBain
July 11, 2008, 02:16 PM
i also couldn't remember a good book on cricket, and then i remembered this one:

The art of coarse cricket by spike hughes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Coarse-Cricket-Spike-Hughes/dp/0090636406

Its really really funny as far as i remember, but i did read it about 25 years ago.

I seemed to remember the author as a guy called Green, but i think he wrote the art of coarse acting.

Nocturnal
July 12, 2008, 01:12 PM
Sunny Gavaskar's biography

BANFAN
July 12, 2008, 01:29 PM
Suny Days' my first and the best !

Aritro
July 13, 2008, 05:11 AM
Read loads of good autobiographies, as well as some utterly rubbish ones. Ian Botham had the sort of career a screenwriter could turn into a biopic and his autobiog made fascinating reading though the thing that stood out most about it was the sheer depth of Ian Botham's love for Ian Botham.

The dullest one I ever read without a doubt was Viv Richards' one. You'd think a cricketer as that one would have an interesting story to tell but unfortunately he came across as being just as self-aggrandising as Botham, but while Botham's book had plenty of ups and downs and juicy off-field controversies to share, Richards' story is simply one of a ridiculously good sportsman going from one peak to another and telling the world just how good he was while he did it.

Rain Men by Markus Berkman is also a classic. Berkman offers hilarious insight into what it's like being part of England's minority of passionate cricket enthusiasts, interwoven with stories from a season in the life of the Captain Scott XI, the social cricket team he started whilst at Oxford. It's like the cricketing version of Nick Hornby's fever pitch. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

auntu
July 14, 2008, 03:01 AM
I've read Sunny's one when I was a school kid

Rabz
July 14, 2008, 06:53 AM
Never read one myself too!

auntu
July 16, 2008, 02:53 AM
does BD player read any book? like 'how to play straight'

auntu
July 16, 2008, 02:55 AM
I heard Bashar used to read Humun Ahmeds books... that's the highest I guess from them.