PDA

View Full Version : South Africa in England

Pages : [1] 2

rattlehead
July 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
In my opinion one the most gripping test series is about to go underway
for me its up there with the ashes, since both SA and England are my top two fav teams!

This time rooting for SA:-D
thrilled to see the war of the pacemen between the two teams!!

fixtures:

1st Test v England at Lord's - Jul 10-14, 2008
Match scheduled to begin at 11:00 local time (10:00 GMT)

2nd Test v England at Leeds - Jul 18-22, 2008 (11:00 local, 10:00 GMT)

Tour Match v Bangladesh A at Worcester - Jul 25-27, 2008 (11:00 local, 10:00 GMT)

3rd Test v England at Birmingham - Jul 30-Aug 3, 2008 (11:00 local, 10:00 GMT)

4th Test v England at The Oval - Aug 7-11, 2008 (11:00 local, 10:00 GMT)

Squad:

England 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Michael Vaughan (capt), 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Tim Ambrose (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 Monty Panesar, 11 James Anderson

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Neil McKenzie, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Jacques Kallis, 5 Ashwell Prince, 6 AB de Villiers, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Morne Morkel, 9 Paul Harris, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Makhaya Ntini.

Post who are u supporting and why!:)

rattlehead
July 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
Btw this is my first thread here in BC, i dont post much, but really thrilled about this series!

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
I think you will be rewarded. SA is the better team, however, England is at home.

I guess SA will win the series because SA is no New Zealand. :)

rattlehead
July 9, 2008, 04:03 PM
yeah even though i want SA to win, i want it to happen in a tight contest as Eng will be strong in their home grounds
KP vs Steyn
return of Flintoff
Smith vs eng pace men
...what a contest that'll be!

banneduser1
July 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
[..]

Sovik
July 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
south africa will miss pollock in this series

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
KP already turning the heat on.
England 215-3.

KP on 48 with that boundary.

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
KP brings his 50 of 73 balls.
he is playing very good atm.

MohammedC
July 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
If England scores 400+ SA will find it tough.

MohammedC
July 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
In my opinion one the most gripping test series is about to go underway
for me its up there with the ashes, since both SA and England are my top two fav teams!

This time rooting for SA:-D
thrilled to see the war of the pacemen between the two teams!!

Post who are u supporting and why!:)

England off course.

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
KP moves to 96......

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
...takes another single to move to 98......

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thats it....
drives thru square to bring his 13th test century....

very well played knock KP...
Eng 290-3

Rabz
July 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
pretty impressive stats for KP...
13th century already in his only 40 tests!

that is some conversion rate.

rattlehead
July 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
Stumps - Day 1
England 309/3 (90.0 ov)

IR Bell 75 not out
KP Pietersen 104 not out

rattlehead
July 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
congrats to KP :clap:

Here is what he had to say:

'This makes me feel so, so loved'

Andrew Miller at Lord's

July 10, 2008

Kevin Pietersen: closing the book on his former life © Getty Images

After scoring the century that he has desired above all others, Kevin Pietersen took a deep breath as he walked in to face the media this evening. It was as if he was settling himself for the speech you can imagine he's been yearning to deliver, ever since he upped sticks from South Africa at the turn of the millennium, and embarked on a journey that has now brought him to fulfilment. A Test century against his former countrymen, at the first time of asking, in front of a packed and unquestionably adoring Lord's crowd. It doesn't get better than that.

The moment of his hundred will live with him forever - a euphoric cut in front of point, an instant pumping of the fist as he rushed to the non-striker's end, then a long and leisurely amble of honour, as he whipped off his helmet, kissed the badge, and saluted all four corners of the ground. It was, by Pietersen's typically self-aggrandising standards, a modest response to such a momentous achievement, but then this was not an occasion which needed overstating. Besides, the Lord's faithful - not generally renowned for displaying their emotions - milked the moment for him, as he found himself prolonging his celebrations like an actor accepting his encore.

"This makes me feel so, so loved right now," said Pietersen. "This is on a par with the 2005 Ashes, when I walked off at The Oval with my 158. I always said I'd love to have that feeling again, and today the way the crowd and the spectators appreciated my hundred and supported me was one of the most emotional two minutes of my career so far. It is exactly the same feeling I had in 2005. It ranks right, right up there."

It was an apt comparison, albeit one with a subtle difference. Both innings were about the end of long journeys, but in 2005, the crowd's joy and relief was solely centred on the regaining of the Ashes, and transcended any lingering misgivings about the status of this diffident interloper with the brash badger-striped haircut. Today, however, was the first day of what promises to be a richly contested series, but for Pietersen himself it was the endgame. He can close the book on the circumstances of his international career, knowing that no-one will ever doubt his allegiance again.

"Before [this innings], there was a lot of speculation about me being originally from South Africa, but for the crowd to be like they were today was absolutely magnificent," he said. "I can't thank them enough for that appreciation. At the start of my career there was a lot of nonsense, which was expected, but I certainly knew I'd have to play well and do things to get everybody on my side. But sitting here right now, I feel as English as anybody, and I absolutely love it."

Pietersen's innings was not without its hairy moments. He arrived at the crease looking more nervous than he has ever seemed in an England shirt. He could have run himself out second-ball as he hurtled a mad single to get off the mark, and was clanged on the helmet moments later by Dale Steyn - a delivery, he remarked, that had helped to wake him up. Afterwards, however, he insisted he had been serenity personified all throughout his performance. Few truly believed him, but it was certainly how he was coming across in the warm afterglow of his achievement.

"When we played South Africa in Barbados last year for the World Cup, I was absolutely stupidly nervous and fidgety," he said, "I don't know why, but the pressure going into that fixture, a must-win match, I got myself far too worked up and it wasn't fun. But this time I was training on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so that I could wake up this morning and go out and entertain. I was as relaxed this morning as I always am."

As for that run-out, Pietersen laughed it off, and recalled an incident in the furious atmosphere of his maiden one-day appearance against South Africa in Johannesburg. "That's life, it's why we play the game," he said. "My first ball in South Africa, after the crowd erupted when I came out to bat, Andre Nel bowled a ball just back of a length that I played at and missed. I could have nicked that as well, but those are the things in life where the script is written, and somebody's writing a pretty incredible script for me today."

It wasn't a solo performance from Pietersen, however, and he was eager to share the praise (though admittedly, only a fraction of it) with his sidekick Ian Bell, whose coolly composed 75 not out was, in Pietersen's estimation, the best he's ever seen him play. Bell drove his first ball for four and had reached 30 from 18 balls before Pietersen had reached double-figures, and in so doing drew the sting of a South African attack that only had eyes for the main prize.

Pietersen, however, was defiant about his own self-sufficiency. "I think it helped Ian Bell a lot more than it helped me," he retorted, the only slight note of churlishness in his entire address. "He told me when he walked off at tea he got 200 in the week [for Warwickshire against Gloucestershire], but I didn't know because I was away in Spain and didn't keep tabs with any cricket. But that first scoring shot when he drove Morkel for four, I thought, am I batting with Ian Bell here?"

Bell began this match with his head on the chopping block, with Andrew Flintoff itching to reclaim his place at Headingley, and England on the ropes after three wickets in 13 balls. None of those circumstances were in evidence, however, in a remarkable performance that developed in isolation from the tussle at the other end. "The pressure he is under, or was under, that will be gone," said Pietersen. "Any team, wherever, if you lose three wickets in a Test in ten minutes, it's pressure. But the way Belly came out, he played positively, beautifully, and I thought: 'Right, I've got to hang around here, get myself in, and play from a solid base."

That he did, and by the end of the day, he was flowing so freely that all his cares melted away in the evening sun. The South Africans who had once been so hostile towards him joined the crowd in offering their congratulations, and Pietersen at last felt able to declare, without fear of contradiction, that he has found peace within his game.

"It's all totally gone," he said. "I've never really had any beef with the South Africans. Graeme [Smith] and I had a bit of an altercation, but that for me is something that happens in life, and it's gone. I get on well with the South Africans, and Andre Nel's just given me a big hug, and said well done. We play sport to make friends around the world and enjoy ourselves, and today I'm humbled."

JonBain
July 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
as a british african i am torn in two,
but
south africa will lose and win,

?

that is kp will beat sa,
after that reverse 6, you gotta love the little skunk

smith? what an error!
his decision to bowl was based on psychology more than cricket fundamentals,
weak captaincy
pietersen deserves to beat sa after that howler

perhaps sa should invite kp back and make him captain!

Tigers_eye
July 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
welcome back JonBain.

To me KP is a bit cocky fellow. Good cricketer no doubt, still too cocky. Flintoff was more humble on the field. Just an observation.

3 wickets in an entire day? No reverse swing and then the second new ball got nothing? Hats of the the determinded English. Those who watched, was there any chances missed - like dropped catch or stumping or runouts?

rattlehead
July 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
welcome back JonBain.

To me KP is a bit cocky fellow. Good cricketer no doubt, still too cocky. Flintoff was more humble on the field. Just an observation.

3 wickets in an entire day? No reverse swing and then the second new ball got nothing? Hats of the the determinded English. Those who watched, was there any chances missed - like dropped catch or stumping or runouts?

i didnt get a chance to watch the whole thing cause of school but heres what cric info had to say:

he arrived at the crease with England in the midst of their wobble, and he would have run himself out second-ball for a duck if Makhaya Ntini's shy from mid-on had been gathered cleanly at the stumps by Hashim Amla. Pietersen had progressed no further in his innings when Dale Steyn sconed him with a brute of a bouncer - a helmet-rattler that required a lengthy break for running repairs. But crucially, he endured, and inevitably, he flourished.

rattlehead
July 10, 2008, 04:57 PM
Pietersen had progressed no further in his innings when Dale Steyn sconed him with a brute of a bouncer .

KP vs Steyn, damn i wanna see that bouncer again
Vaughan had a deja vu from 2004, steyn bowled him again with an almost identical delivery

and hopefully SA will get their acts straight on day two and bowl out england
ntini needs to chip in
and i thought the lords pitch had a lot of juice for the fast bowlers

JonBain
July 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
pietersen was almost run out on 0.
ntini missed by a fraction

yes kp is cocky, i like that, it makes the game more interesting
i fall asleep watching kallis

MohammedC
July 11, 2008, 05:39 AM
KP and Bell continues their onslaught partnership nearing 250

Last 10 ovs 57/0 RR 5.70

rattlehead
July 11, 2008, 06:03 AM
Bell gets his 8th ton
3rd at lord's :clap:

Sovik
July 11, 2008, 06:48 AM
smith misread the pitch and went on to bowl. vaughn got lucky that he didn't win the toss cause he also would have bowled. for him it was a good toss to loose

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
Bell tho 200 korbey monay hocchey!!

Dead pitch. Lord's ai obostha? Khali Bangladesh kheltey gelai mine field banai. Styen, Morkel'er nam shuney flat track banaisey. Draw game!! Faltu.

Ar Board'o fifty marey. Averaing 30.14. Better than Habibul Bashar, lol.

Beamer
July 11, 2008, 10:01 AM
Nice nice England. KP is the man. 13th ton already!

Sovik
July 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ar Board'o fifty marey. Averaing 30.14. Better than Habibul Bashar, lol.

its 39.85 at the moment. better than any of our batsmen

Murad
July 11, 2008, 11:57 AM
Bell out for 199... Missed his double ton for just one run :(

Eng declares after his wicket. 593/8d.

Ishtylish cricketer
July 11, 2008, 12:41 PM
Superb knock by Bell. Yeah one has to feel for him. I definitely did. 199. He should have just defended Harris and waited for something on the leg in the next overs from the faster bowlers. He got 2 balls on the pads to put away before the rain and didn't do it. I guess lost opportunities came back to bite him. Always backed this guy for greatness and with today's knock all the critiques will be put to rest.

cricman
July 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
A Draw is on the cards, South Africa have alot of work to do but they'll get it done

Slater582
July 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
Bell :(
And he so deserved the ton. :(

He should have just defended Harris and waited for something on the leg in the next overs from the faster bowlers.

He may have felt under pressure given the captain wanted to declare asap.

I ask you posters, on this forum, will Bell score a Test double century in his career?

Rabz
July 11, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yes, KP is cocky, but after Warne's departure, he is just the right kinda guy cricket needs.

KP has sobered himself a lot lately and this is only going to help him stay at the top for many years to come.

Good to see when a talent matches the performance.

JonBain
July 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
a draw seems a distinct possibility,
but harris taking three wickets in the first innings?

hmmmm.... panesar must be licking his lips at the prospect of south africas notorious weakness against spin bowling on a dead pitch.

i would not all be surprised to see england win by an innings. all the pressure is on smith now.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2008, 02:34 PM

I ask you posters, on this forum, will Bell score a Test double century in his career?
Very hard question. I say no. Reason being against Bd he wouldn't have the opportunity to bat. :( tresco, I mean the new tresco and Vaughn may have centuries along with KP. that is 400. England would declare at 550. (All speculations by the way :) )

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2008, 02:35 PM

hmmmm.... panesar must be licking his lips at the prospect of south africas notorious weakness against spin bowling on a dead pitch.

i would not all be surprised to see england win by an innings. all the pressure is on smith now.
They made it look easy against India.

JonBain
July 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
who made what look easier against india?

Ishtylish cricketer
July 11, 2008, 04:48 PM
Bell :(
And he so deserved the ton. :(

He may have felt under pressure given the captain wanted to declare asap.

Had Bell gotten to his double hundred, Vaughan wouldn't have declared right away. He would have let him hit a few or get himself out before declaring. There was some pressure on Bell to do it quickly, nonetheless defending few balls till he gets one on the pads wouldn't have consumed too much time. 2-3 overs at max. Bell lost it for awhile and should have batted for a bad ball. I'm just glad to see him get a knock that does justice to his talent and class. He should bat #3 in tests for england IMO, especially since Vaughan won't be sticking around for too long with his dodgy knees.

rattlehead
July 12, 2008, 05:13 AM
Smith gone!:doh:
done by the extra bounce by anderson
in walks amla

Sovik
July 12, 2008, 05:46 AM
its all upto kallis and amla

rattlehead
July 12, 2008, 05:52 AM
amla gone now!:mad:

rattlehead
July 12, 2008, 06:30 AM
Nooo Kallis gone! FAAKK!!

rattlehead
July 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
strauss grassed it though! damn umpire didnt see that

MohammedC
July 12, 2008, 07:57 AM
Monty gets in to the act bowls McKenzie out

91/4 If Saffers. No turning back now

Murad
July 12, 2008, 10:50 AM
SA has confirmed that they would like to bat again :)

MohammedC
July 12, 2008, 11:07 AM
SA has confirmed that they would like to bat again :)

Still 401 run behind with 3 wkts left. I dont think they have any option unless heaven opens up.

I stay approx 20 miles east of Lords and its raining slightly. Saffer will need a lot of sky juice to escape from this misery.

BANFAN
July 12, 2008, 01:09 PM
SA trailing by 333 runs, how they can win the series from here on??

This test is possibly gone

Rabz
July 12, 2008, 01:25 PM
Its upto Smith and kallis to save this test from a humiliation.

Prince played very well for his ton today.

Lets see how tomorrow shapes up.

Nocturnal
July 12, 2008, 01:27 PM
Stumps - Day 3
England 593/8d
South Africa 247- all out & 13/0 (4.0 ov)
South Africa trail by 333 runs with 10 wickets remaining

JonBain
July 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
like i said

england to win by an innings and panesar is not just licking his lips
he must be drooooooling by now

good chance of him taking 10 wickets
skunky took a wicket! what a laugh ! oh he got Steyn!!!!
Poetic justice!

See
There is a God!

Go Maritzburg! (hes from my home town you see)

Slater582
July 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
SA trailing by 333 runs, how they can win the series from here on??

This test is possibly gone

It's a 4 Test series though.

Plus England have dominated the last few Lords tests but haven't been able to force victory.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/225264.html

Against Sri Lanka, a first innings lead of 359, enforced follw on, in their second innings Sri Lanka at one point were 62 ahead with 8 wickets down. But England couldn't get victory due to rain & some remarkable lower order batting.

---

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/engvpak/engine/match/225255.html

The next Lords test was against Pakistan. England declared in both innings, had a first innings lead of 83, set Pakistan 380 but rain again didn't help. England won all the other tests in the series (although the ICC are changing the 'ball tampering' game)

---

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvwi/engine/current/match/258459.html

The next Lords test was against the West Indies. England again declared in both innings, had a first innings lead of 116...and set the West Indies over 400. Again rain ruined the game. England won all the other tests in the series.

---

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/258468.html

The next Lords test was against India.

England had a first innings lead of 97, set India 380 to win. India were 282/9 when it began to rain...

So now England are in the next Lords test...I wouldn't be surprised if South Africa got a draw some how.

strauss grassed it though! damn umpire didnt see that

Are you sure? Bell & Ambrose grassed catches & didn't claim them.

rattlehead
July 12, 2008, 02:27 PM
Are you sure? Bell & Ambrose grassed catches & didn't claim them.

yeah, it went to his hands, kept very low, hit the fingers, bounced off the grass back to hands to hold it firmly. maybe because it kept so low, it was hard to see for the umpires
but it was all seen in the replys

JonBain
July 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
the africans are praying for rain
perhaps smithy should try a raindance?

better idea than bowling first in the first test.
how demoralizing.
he is a second rate captain (no complaints about his batting tho
and i'm sure he's a nice guy)

Slater582
July 12, 2008, 02:44 PM
and i'm sure he's a nice guy

Hmm.

BANFAN
July 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
It's a 4 Test series though.

Plus England have dominated the last few Lords tests but haven't been able to force victory.

yes, but getting difficult for SA, even if this test turns into a draw. But chances are very less, 2 more days to go. unless the rain takes away more than a day.

Yet, England is always the best at home.

nzfan
July 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
He didn't drop the catch. I saw the replays , so did the commentators and both of them said he catched it as well

One World
July 13, 2008, 02:16 AM

The little old town called Chokersville, few miles from Pretoria.

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
Smith and Mckenzie fighting back pretty well here.
SA 139 without any loss, even though they've used up gizillion overs.

but who cares...they've got a test match to save....

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
150 is up for the Saffers.

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
Smith on 82 and McKenzie on 63, both not out.
The way they have grafted this innings so far, both deserve a century.

its called not going down without a fight.
our batsman should take good look at this.

Murad
July 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Smith on 82 and McKenzie on 63, both not out.
The way they have grafted this innings so far, both deserve a century.

its called not going down without a fight.
our batsman should take good look at this.

Only in our sweetest dreams :(

Rifat
July 13, 2008, 10:30 AM
Only in our sweetest dreams :(

actually, it "almost" happened in New Zealand this January... remember ;)

reat match going on...

the only difference is that Bangladesh collapsed at 135 and South Africa didn't collapsed.

if only Banglaesh could remove the word "collapse" from their dictionary, i think Bangladesh should have no problem reaching the top 4 teams.

Great match going on :) this is real test cricket. matches like this should keep test cricket alive!

Murad
July 13, 2008, 10:32 AM
Smith in 90s...

HOpe he gets his well deserved ton.

Murad
July 13, 2008, 10:33 AM
Rifat bhai.. almost happend and happened are two different thing... :)

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
Smithy moves to nervous 90's.
Lords century is always special.

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
Rifat bhai.. almost happend and happened are two different thing... :)

never under-estimate the power of "almost".

An "almost" could re-write history!

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
hope smith gets his ton! it'll be special after enduring 3 sh*tty days

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
mckenzie gets his strike rate at 30 with two lovely boundaries

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 11:00 AM
Smithy reaches his ton!
that is one great innings he is playing.

Truely captain's knock.

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 11:00 AM
smithy gets his century!!
101 in 186 balls

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
now mckenzie should look for his ton. play in the same gritty manner

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
200 run partnership is up

Murad
July 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
I guess its their record against Englad..

rattlehead
July 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
ambrose drops a thick outside edge by smith, of peterson's bowling!

tonoy
July 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
what a comeback by the saffers.

Murad
July 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
Tonoy mone hoy onekdin pore ekta post korla?? ki bepar??

Sandpiper ke dekhtesi......uni o onekdin pore aashche.. welcome back sandy

JonBain
July 13, 2008, 11:29 AM
Quote:
and i'm sure he's a nice guy

Hmm.

well i'm not that sure, actually
he's not a nice guy?
i don't know him, i was being polite. but now that you say it, perhaps i can agree with that comment.

hmmmmmmmm
hmmmm.....hmmmm

actually the way he managed to axe lance klusener from the side for being the best one day player the world has ever seen, ok, well, you win.

he's a jealous spoilt brat who only became captain (having never played a test) for family reasons

the sa adminsitration always seems to drop the player who is at the top of his game. faanie devilliers was dropped for having a one day economy rate of 2.9 when the second best was about 3.9

do you think that smith and the sa admin are doing another hansie on us?
wouldn't surprise me given smiths appalling decisions.

;-j

Murad
July 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
smith gone for 107.

JonBain
July 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
the cricket gods were listening to me!
he went out as i said that
hahahah
;-j

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 11:48 AM
McKenzie also in his nervous 90's.
Six short of a magnificent century.

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 11:51 AM
do you think that smith and the sa admin are doing another hansie on us?
wouldn't surprise me given smiths appalling decisions.

;-j

You might have your differences, fair enough,
but calling a "Hansie" on him is a bit ott.

... Smithy deserves better.

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
Amla had to pad up for a hell of a long time to come to bat.
That must be annoying.

JonBain
July 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
You might have your differences, fair enough,
but calling a "Hansie" on him is a bit ott.

i did not call a hansie, i did not say he was a hansie
i merely asked if the other THOUGHT so

that was a question, not a statement

and as for MY differences. no. those are faanie devilliers and and lance kluseners differences.

God save the Queen!

sandpiper
July 13, 2008, 12:10 PM
at last Anderson managed to get rid of Smith. Mckenzie is 3 short of his ton

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
McKenzie scores his ton as well.
Well grafted innings.
Very well played.

JonBain
July 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
good stuff mac.
now he is a genuine nice guy

Rabz
July 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
SA finishes the day 242-1.

They have gracefully managed to stay out the whole day with minimal damage.

That was really really well played.

Nocturnal
July 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
Good stuff by Saffers :)
Stumps - Day 4
England 593/8d
South Africa 247 & 242/1 (96.0 ov)
South Africa trail by 104 runs with 9 wickets remaining

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td colspan="3">South Africa 2nd innings (following on)</td> <td align="right">R</td> <td align="right">B</td> <td align="right">4s</td> <td align="right">6s</td> <td align="right">SR</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/captain.gif</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">GC Smith (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/47270.html)</td> <td width="246">c Pietersen b Anderson</td> <td align="right">107</td> <td align="right">207</td> <td align="right">11</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">51.69</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">ND McKenzie (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/46208.html)</td> <td width="246">not out</td> <td align="right">102</td> <td align="right">323</td> <td align="right">13</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">31.57</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">HM Amla (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/43906.html)</td> <td width="246">not out</td> <td align="right">20</td> <td align="right">46</td> <td align="right">3</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">43.47</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> Extras</td> <td>(b 4, lb 5, w 3, nb 1)</td> <td align="right">13</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#000000">http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> Total</td> <td>(1 wicket; 96 overs)</td> <td align="right">242</td> <td colspan="5" align="center">(2.52 runs per over)</td></tr></tbody></table>

bujhee kom
July 13, 2008, 01:55 PM
go SAF!
Allah's blessing be with graeme smith and his boys!

Pundit
July 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
McKenzie scores a 100 with SR 0f ~ 30%.

Many at BanglaCricket would have wanted him burnt alive if he were playing for BD.

Zunaid
July 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
McKenzie scores a 100 with SR 0f ~ 30%.

Many at BanglaCricket would have wanted him burnt alive if he were playing for BD.

Good to see you using sarcasm green.

auntu
July 14, 2008, 01:04 AM
what an innings by mckenzie !

great ton! classic test batting.

nzfan
July 14, 2008, 04:11 AM
Mckenzie is pulling a Kirsten(Well I hope he does because I live for epic innings who cares if the strike rate is 30 I still love it,the longer the better)

http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/ENG_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/ENG_RSA_T3_26-30DEC1999.html

nasimul
July 14, 2008, 06:46 AM
Amla gets his 50

mahbubH
July 14, 2008, 07:04 AM
What a test match. The Video of this test should be a must seen for all BD cricketers. Scoring runs is not everything of cricket. I like more of this kind of cricket than IPL!

nasimul
July 14, 2008, 07:12 AM
What a test match. The Video of this test should be a must seen for all BD cricketers. Scoring runs is not everything of cricket. I like more of this kind of cricket than IPL!

It will not help because this type of cricket is just out of their capacity.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
After three consecutive defeats at the hands of SA, what more did you expect the curator do on the Lord's pitch? Chicken England is in for it this summer if they deviate from their strategy. Swing bowling, lol, Sidebottom is made bottomsup in the second innings. Nice stats for Panesear. 107/0. Last innings the tail enders saved him.

cricman
July 14, 2008, 08:52 AM
England should not have enforced the follow-on but fantastic grit by the South Africans not even playing any shots outside the offstump, perhaps bad bowling from england not forcing SA to play many shots haven't seen the Test so really can speculate

Hoggard and Flinftoff being missed

Monty is 10X the bowler lalla is, he can at least get some turn, his innings reminds me of some Rafiques best bowling, 50 overs @ 2.00 an over, but Rafique would pick up a few wickets

BANFAN
July 14, 2008, 08:53 AM
What a massive recovery work by SA. Excellent so far.

cricman
July 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
Saffers about to choke here, only a way that only SA can

*Hopes Amla can Ton up*

Prince Survives a Ripper

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2008, 09:19 AM
England should not have enforced the follow-on ...
Say they bat for 50 overs. Would there be enough overs left to bowl SA out? England had no other choice but to enforce follow-on. This test was dead when SA only could manage three wickets in the first day.
Saffers about to choke here, only a way that only SA can
England is no Aussie. In this flat pitch the only team can choke is BD.

lol, Panesear's 70%+ wicket is tail enders (career).

Rabz
July 14, 2008, 09:27 AM
Amla heading towards his own ton.
May be he got tons of "halal" food in London.

...the secret of his tonic.

cricman
July 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
Say they bat for 50 overs. Would there be enough overs left to bowl SA out? England had no other choice but to enforce follow-on. This test was dead when SA only could manage three wickets in the first day.

England is no Aussie. In this flat pitch the only team can choke is BD.

lol, Panesear's 70%+ wicket is tail enders (career).

There would be 150 overs to bowl Target of 600 would be daunting, SA bowled bad, thats why only 3 wickets, Catched dropped as a speask

Pansears list of Wickets is quite impressive I would say, He's dismissed Yousef, Inzy, Tendulkar, Dravid, Chamderpaul and Symonds all Muliple times.

I would say 300-400 of Murali's wickets are tailenders it doesn't mean he's a bad bowler, 163 Bangladeshis and Mugabe's Men and 150-200 (estimate) silly bowlers from the rest of the worlld

BANFAN
July 14, 2008, 09:44 AM
Today is the last day, 372/3 and SA lead by 26 runs. Around 60 overs left for the day. Looks like SA has saved the match. Theoretically SA still has a chance to lose, if it was BD in the same position as SA is in now, we had to say: theoreticallly still it is possible for BD to save the game. That's the difference between us and the rest 8.

Is that what we cover by saying A game of glorious uncertainity ! :)

Murad
July 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
Today is the last day, 372/3 and SA lead by 26 runs. Around 60 overs left for the day. Looks like SA has saved the match. Theoretically SA still has a chance to lose, if it was BD in the same position as SA is in now, we had to say: theoreticallly still it is possible for BD to save the game. That's the difference between us and the rest 8.

Is that what we cover by saying A game of glorious uncertainity ! :)

60? NOPE

only 28 left at the moment.

Rifat
July 14, 2008, 10:09 AM
Total (3 wickets; 159 overs) 372 (2.33 runs per over)

ok Bangladesh should include Rajin Saleh and Javed Omar in tests if we were to follow this strategy! i mean look at the Saffers! do they care about run-rate, no, they just want to draw it out! why can't we play like this...

Rifat
July 14, 2008, 10:11 AM
MS Panesar 59 14 116 0 1.96

Panesar having a great workout :lol:

AsifTheManRahman
July 14, 2008, 10:56 AM
Total (3 wickets; 159 overs) 372 (2.33 runs per over)

ok Bangladesh should include Rajin Saleh and Javed Omar in tests if we were to follow this strategy! i mean look at the Saffers! do they care about run-rate, no, they just want to draw it out! why can't we play like this...
Now that we play a lot of our tests on the dust bowls at home, there isn't any good reason why our batsmen shouldn't be able to grind it out and stay on for at least a day and a half. It's test cricket - who cares about runs? They'll come any way.

It's all about the temperament really.

Nocturnal
July 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
Match drawn :notworthy:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td colspan="3">South Africa 2nd innings (following on)</td> <td align="right">R</td> <td align="right">M</td> <td align="right">B</td> <td align="right">4s</td> <td align="right">6s</td> <td align="right">SR</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/captain.gif</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">GC Smith (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/47270.html)</td> <td width="246">c Pietersen b Anderson</td> <td align="right">107</td> <td align="right">340</td> <td align="right">207</td> <td align="right">11</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">51.69</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">ND McKenzie (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/46208.html)</td> <td width="246">c http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/keeper.gifAmbrose b Anderson</td> <td align="right">138</td> <td align="right">554</td> <td align="right">447</td> <td align="right">16</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">30.87</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">HM Amla (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/43906.html)</td> <td width="246">not out</td> <td align="right">104</td> <td align="right">344</td> <td align="right">242</td> <td align="right">14</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">42.97</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">JH Kallis (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/45789.html)</td> <td width="246"> b Sidebottom</td> <td align="right">13</td> <td align="right">56</td> <td align="right">52</td> <td align="right">2</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">25.00</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2" align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">AG Prince (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/46788.html)</td> <td width="246">not out</td> <td align="right">9</td> <td align="right">74</td> <td align="right">54</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">16.66</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> Extras</td> <td>(b 8, lb 8, w 5, nb 1)</td> <td align="right">22</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#000000">http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> Total</td> <td>(3 wickets dec; 167 overs; 688 mins)</td> <td align="right">393</td> <td colspan="5" align="center">(2.35 runs per over)</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="620"> <tbody><tr> <td>Did not bat AB de Villiers (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/44936.html), http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/keeper.gifMV Boucher (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/44111.html), M Morkel (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/46538.html), PL Harris (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/45568.html), DW Steyn (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/47492.html), M Ntini (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/46592.html) </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="620"> <tbody><tr> <td>Fall of wickets1-204 (Smith, 81.1 ov), 2-329 (McKenzie, 133.5 ov), 3-357 (Kallis, 147.5 ov) (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/engine/current/match/296909.html?innings=3;view=fow;wrappertype=mainfra me)</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td bgcolor="#d8d4d2"> Bowling</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">Ohttp://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">M</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">R</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">W</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">Econ</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#d8d4d2">
</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> MS Panesar (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/18655.html)</td> <td align="right">60http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">15</td> <td align="right">116</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">1.93</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> KP Pietersen (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/19296.html)</td> <td align="right">7http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">21</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">3.00</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> RJ Sidebottom (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/20187.html)</td> <td align="right">30http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">9</td> <td align="right">46</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">1.53</td> <td align="right">(1nb)</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> JM Anderson (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/8608.html)</td> <td align="right">32http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">7</td> <td align="right">78</td> <td align="right">2</td> <td align="right">2.43</td> <td align="right">(3w)</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> SCJ Broad (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/10617.html)</td> <td align="right">26http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">7</td> <td align="right">78</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">3.00</td> <td align="right">(2w)</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> PD Collingwood (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/10772.html)</td> <td align="right">11http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">4</td> <td align="right">37</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">3.36</td> <td align="right">
</td> <td style="white-space: nowrap;"> AN Cook (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/player/11728.html)</td> <td align="right">1http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">0</td> <td align="right">1.00</td> <td align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Eshen
July 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
England lost her golden opportunity to win a match. SA will come back stronger in the next match.

BANFAN
July 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
60? NOPE

only 28 left at the moment.

Right, infact they played only 71 overs today.

Thanks

Rabz
July 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
All kudos to the Africans to deny English the victory.

They came to their chances very quickly and made up for the first innings.
Their sheer determination and resilience was highly noticeable.

Thats what a TEST team should be.
...its called never giving up.

BANFAN
July 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
It's a great display of robust mind, positive attitude and the ability to respond according to match situation. Everything was done perfectly by SA, as it was supposed to be after following on.

Enjoyed it.

Slater582
July 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
After three consecutive defeats at the hands of SA, what more did you expect the curator do on the Lord's pitch? Chicken England is in for it this summer if they deviate from their strategy. Swing bowling, lol, Sidebottom is made bottomsup in the second innings. Nice stats for Panesear. 107/0. Last innings the tail enders saved him.

Three consecutive defeats?

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/145534.html

Last series between the two was in South Africa, won by England 2-1. I think I'm right in saying England joined Australia in being the only teams to win a series since South Africa were readmitted in 1991.

Last time South Africa won a series in England was 1965.

So I shouldn't think England are chicken.

In regards to the pitch, it's fairly well known English groundsman don't doctor the pitch to aid England. Duncan Fletcher complained about this in his book.

England should not have enforced the follow-on

Agreed, I said this at the time.

I think South Africa will go on to win the series now.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2008, 02:30 PM
Three consecutive defeats?
2003 http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64039.html
Innings + 92 runs - win by SA.
1998 http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63805.html
SA won by 10 wickets.
1994 http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63649.html
South Africa won by 356 runs.

I say heavy beat down in all three occations.

Looks like 3 in a row to me at Lords. ECB would be crazy to make a sporting wicket at Lords against SA.

Slater582
July 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
Oh you were talking about this ground in particular..

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh you were talking about this ground in particular..
Yes sir!!

So this time around do you think Lord's pitch wasn't doctored? May be they are just trying to take the feedback from Duncan and implement them.

Before any series every team would do their homework. I think this time around the ECB and curators did an excellent job in strategizing and not giving SA the sure "W" from Lords even if that makes them look like a chicken.

auntu
July 15, 2008, 10:44 AM

yes, chair e baindha hoileo dekhano dorker.

hey me 2. about IPL. L-)

Slater582
July 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
May be they are just trying to take the feedback from Duncan and implement them.

:-D

So this time around do you think Lord's pitch wasn't doctored?

Really I have no idea. All I know is Fletcher said he could never get groundsmen to give him the pitch he wanted.

Maybe they will do it for Moores...or maybe the ECB told them to make a flat pitch to last 5 days to make as much money as possible, as money seems to be the only thing ECB cares about.

rattlehead
July 18, 2008, 01:07 AM
Freddie's back in the business!

Flintoff returns ... but that's the easy bit
Andrew McGlashan at Headingley
July 17, 2008

After months of having it easy, England's selectors might need a lie-down once they have finalised the eleven for Headingley. Andrew Flintoff returns, but that's the simple decision. He will bat at No. 7 - an admission that his status as a world-class allrounder has slipped in absentia - which means Tim Ambrose must bat as high as No. 6 if England play five bowlers. However, at the moment the identity of those bowlers remains a mystery.

Chris Tremlett and, most surprisingly, Nottinghamshire's Darren Pattinson have been given late call-ups as cover for Ryan Sidebottom and James Anderson, both of whom have back problems. Pattinson, named in England's 30-man Champions Trophy squad, has leapfrogged the likes of Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard - on his home ground - and Simon Jones following an impressive season for Nottinghamshire. For Hoggard, this slight could be the final nail in his Test career.

But this is just the latest twist in Pattinson's story. He was born in Grimsby before emigrating to Australia, where he didn't make his first-class debut until 2006-07 after plying his trade as a roofer. He is a hit-the-deck swing bowler and it's the ability to swing the ball which has caught the selectors' eye. His call-up harks back to the days of selecting specialist swing bowlers for this venue. If Anderson and Sidebottom - himself a 'Headingley selection' last year - both miss out, England lack lateral movement in their attack so Pattinson could be one cloudy morning away from a debut.

The irony is that one of the guaranteed bowlers is Flintoff, who hasn't played a Test for 18 months, and it is clear it's with the ball that he is valued higher. During his absence the question has often been asked whether he can recapture the status of world-class allrounder that was bestowed on him during the peak of his powers in 2004 and 2005. The answer from the England camp, in the short-term at least, appears to be no.

"I've always seen him more as a No. 7," said Vaughan at a damp Headingley, where both sides were restricted to indoor training. "His style of play is suited to that position, he is very attacking, and given the chance he can take the game away from the opposition in that position as well. He's happy there and feels very comfortable there, it takes a little bit of pressure off him and hopefully he can go and express himself.

"We see him as having a long-term future in the team, not that we don't see Ambrose having a long-term future, but Freddie at No. 7 is a perfect position for his style of batting. At this stage No. 6 would be quite high up and the style you are asked to play there is different. We want him to be relaxed."

The move is significant not only because Flintoff himself has always been adamant that he is a batsman who bowls, but also because of the knock-on effects to the line-up. Ambrose had a dire one-day series, managing 10 runs in five innings, and began this series with 4 at Lord's. Vaughan, though, who will lead England for the fiftieth time on his home ground, is confident his wicketkeeper can cope with any promotion.

"If that's the decision we are very confident he can go and make a score. Sometimes that is just what you need, a confidence boost of being pushed up the order. Only two innings ago he got a really good [innings] against New Zealand. He seems to be hitting the ball well. He didn't have a great one-day series which is why people are talking about him, but I think he looks very comfortable in the one-day team."

All of this does spell bad news for Paul Collingwood, whose run of 33 consecutive Tests - dating back to Lahore 2005 - looks set to end. He has pulled England out of many holes, but it is hard to find a justification for keeping him in the eleven. His final chance would be if England opt to use Flintoff as one of four bowlers, but the concerns over Sidebottom and Anderson means extra resources will be needed.
Sidebottom is the greater worry and his absence would be as big a blow for England as Flintoff's return is a boost. It was here, last year against West Indies, that he returned to Test cricket with eight wickets against West Indies and has since established himself as the main man in the attack. "He's an old pro and comes from the old school," said Vaughan. "He's had these stiff backs before and come through and I really hope he does this time. The way that he swings the ball, he is a key bowler for us and if he isn't right he'll be a big loss for us.

"He still bowls very well at 80, 81mph. But in his own mind, he wants to be back at 83, 84mph because he gets that snappy swing, that late swing. That's when Ryan is at his best but he needs to be very confident in his own body to be able to do that. He'll make that decision in the morning and I hope as a captain he comes through because he's been a revelation in the last year."

For Graeme Smith this is all a pleasant role-reversal, because leading into Lord's all the attention was on his team. Flintoff has taken the heat away and allowed the South Africans a relaxed few days following their three-day escape act in London. "We've been in good spirits throughout, we were obviously disappointed with how we played for the first three days at Lord's, but to still get something out of it was a positive," said Smith. "The nice thing is knowing we can achieve those levels that we want."

The bowlers struggled with the quirky conditions at Lord's, and Headingley offers similar challenges with a slope from one end of the ground to the other. South Africa spent a long time practising on Thursday, but the rain meant Smith's attack wasn't given another early look at conditions. "We would have loved to have another session today," said Smith. "We put in quite a lengthy stint yesterday and have had a few little discussions on where we want to improve. Hopefully we can execute things better."

Like England, they will wait on their final eleven until just before the toss and Smith said he "would leave his options open" regarding the make-up of their attack. Unlike England, their procrastinations are more out of choice.

rattlehead
July 18, 2008, 01:10 AM
2nd npower Test v England at Leeds - Jul 18-22, 2008
Match scheduled to begin at 11:00 local time (10:00 GMT).

nasimul
July 18, 2008, 06:10 AM
England is in trouble

tonoy
July 18, 2008, 09:07 AM
freddie is back wohoo!!!

Beamer
July 18, 2008, 09:37 AM
Come on Freddie!

Sovik
July 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
203 all out.

BANFAN
July 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
Eng choked, Many of them were out of not so great bowling. Don't discredit SA bowling, but Eng batters are to be blamed for their mitakes. Good chance for SA to go 1-0 up in th series.

Rifat
July 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
this should be a classic test match to watch any links anyone, this is what true test match is about!

great opportunity for Amla to do somethiing productive with the bat.

Slater582
July 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
Couple of interesting decision from the umpire there.

Amla had almost walked off the ground when Smith told him to come back...

And then Anderson has Amla plumb & they don't give it...

Hmm...oh and Cook was given out when the ball hit his thigh pad...

auntu
July 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
bad Umpiring even though great test match going on.

Tigers_eye
July 18, 2008, 03:05 PM
A lead of 150+ and this test should be in the bag. Kudos goes to curator for making a lively pitch. 13 wickets fell.

De Villers cheats that is no secret. I say Vaughn knew. Setting Bad examples.

auntu
July 19, 2008, 05:20 AM
150+ maybe plus there is a matter to think is the condition on 1st was gloomy. If it's a sunny 2nd day things might go to SA's favour.

Rabz
July 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
Ashwell Prince scores another century!
Back to back ton after his magnificent century in Lord's.

Very well played. he seems to be in great form.

South African also very well placed in the match right now.
262/4.

nasimul
July 19, 2008, 09:40 AM
Back to back century by Prince

sandpiper
July 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
kudos to Ashwell on his consecutive hundred :clap:

Rifat
July 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
hehehe, England double strike should make this game even more than just interesting. :smug:

congrats to Ashwell for his magnificent batting :bravo:

BANFAN
July 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
SA is very well placed to take a huge lead in first innings.

Slater582
July 19, 2008, 01:03 PM
De Villers cheats that is no secret.

I did not know. I did like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmaShpGrBmE

auntu
July 19, 2008, 02:03 PM
Great century Prince. Well done. I told u the condition might play a part here.

auntu
July 19, 2008, 02:32 PM
stumps :322/4,
AG Prince not out 134 249 14 2 53.81
AB de Villiers not out 70 183 7 0 38.25

BANFAN
July 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
449/7 already a lead of 245+

No chance for Eng tosave this match without the help of rain...

Sovik
July 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
lead of 277. not looking good for England

Rabz
July 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
AB De Villiers still marching on...
glorious shot for a boundary and moves on to 161...
amzing innings he is playing....

....and again....
4 more...... 165

BANFAN
July 20, 2008, 10:22 AM
SA lead by 293, 496/7
deviller's 170.... NO still batting :)

BANFAN
July 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
Deviller missed his double :)

174 i guess, Fantastic catch by Flintof.

lead 308

Rabz
July 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
England already lost a wicket, chasing to minimise the huge deficit.

Vaughan looks totally clueless to Steyne, looks to me.

very very attacking fielding set up by the Africans.

Rabz
July 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
wow...now the English taking the attack to Steyne.

3 boundaries in this over so far....

Nocturnal
July 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
Day 3 - Session 3
Min overs remaining 11.3
England 203 & 32/1 (12.3 ov)
South Africa 522
England trail by 287 runs with 9 wickets remaining :)

BANFAN
July 20, 2008, 12:32 PM
Eng Strugling, defeat seems inevitable.

auntu
July 20, 2008, 01:36 PM
Eng gonna loose.. except the help of rain

Nocturnal
July 20, 2008, 02:55 PM
Eng gonna loose.. except the help of rain

they will surely.... the commentators said - forecast says it's sunny next two days!!
Eng 2nd innings- 50/2 now :)

bujhee kom
July 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
bhai, englander dail (lintel) ber hoya shuru hoe gese! strause-er hashi udhao!

MohammedC
July 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
England 4 wicket down. still 200+ runs behind.

This one is on the bag for SA

tonoy
July 21, 2008, 09:21 AM
hang in there freddie!

Nocturnal
July 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
Day 4- Tea
England 6 down- 182/6
England still trail by 137 runs with 4 wickets remaining :)

Murad
July 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
Eng 238/8

Flintoff Gone!

Nocturnal
July 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
getting closer - England trail by 73 runs with 2 wickets remaining

cricket_dorshok
July 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
Vaughn should exchange his batting position with S. Broad.

Nocturnal
July 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
that's it.
Saffers won by by 10 wickets!! :)

BANFAN
July 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
I thought it will be an innings defeat. Eng bhalo khelche tahole.

Weldone SA :)

Slater582
July 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
Vaughn should exchange his batting position with S. Broad.

Yeah Vaughny is struggiling atm. Approaching 34 & with a few knee injuries, I'm wondering if he's coming to the end.

South African were the stronger team.

After replacing Fletcher with Moores, England are slipping down the Test rankings.

I think Bangladesh could be in with a shout when they next tour us.

ialbd
July 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
well done South Africa.... go finish it off.....

Tigers_eye
July 22, 2008, 09:37 AM

I think Bangladesh could be in with a shout when they next tour us.
Wake up buddy!! They (BD - A team) are having a hard time handling Derbyshire in a 3 day match. Almost the national team.

We will see first hand how bad we are against Nel and Co. in next match.

England is a bit unfortunate. With Simon Jones, Flintoff, Sidebottom, Harmisson all 100%, I think they can challenge SA. Steyn is class, Morkel is just about to fulfill his destiny. Ntini needs to be replaced by Nel to get some more firepower in the pitches are not batting track.

BD-Shardul
July 23, 2008, 05:45 AM
Guys, do you think that Vaught deserves his place in ENG team based on his performance?

BANFAN
July 26, 2008, 03:25 AM
Guys, do you think that Vaught deserves his place in ENG team based on his performance?

I surely do.

He performs in critical times and is a good captain. Does england have a better choice of replaceent?

BD-Shardul
July 29, 2008, 06:03 AM
England selectors now a days doing worse job then their Bangladeshi counterparts. Making blunders after blunders.

They called back Harmison instead of Hoggard, one of the best swing bowlers. "Swojonpriti" exists everywhere, if not then how come a bowler efface from the scene?

thebest
July 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
England selectors now a days doing worse job then their Bangladeshi counterparts. Making blunders after blunders.

They called back Harmison instead of Hoggard, one of the best swing bowlers. "Swojonpriti" exists everywhere, if not then how come a bowler efface from the scene?
But even the worse decesion is calling back Collingwood and immediatly put him in the team in place of Broad who is at the moment better batsman than Colly and certainly better bowler on any day. Calling about "Swojonpriti" in BBC 606 they are calling Colly is Vaughn's friend and selector Giles is Vaughn's friend. So Vaughn is pushing for Colly and Giles is obliging and influencing other selectors to grant Vaughn's wish

Tigers_eye
July 29, 2008, 12:05 PM
Bhai'era amar,
Shojon priti tho notun kisu na. When a captain takes the glory and fall, he is entitled to do some shojon priti. The captain wants to go to the battle with his men whom he can trust, depend upon. Imran, Steve Waugh, Naseer Hussain, Fleming all did that.

Bangladesh is a different cat and please do not compare us with others. Other captains admit they may have come short at times. They take the blame when lose a game or two. Ours don't have those words in their vocabulary. So our captain should not have the luxury of doing shojon priti.

BD-Shardul
July 30, 2008, 06:39 AM
And Vaughn gone of the first ball.

BD-Shardul
July 30, 2008, 07:03 AM
Now ENG also lost their super hit batsmen Pitersen.

Sadz
July 30, 2008, 07:04 AM
whats the score?

BD-Shardul
July 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
Lunch-Day 1

ENG 82/3 (28.0 ov)

Sadz
July 30, 2008, 07:09 AM
Woah that is worse than how we are playign at the moment, lol. Its a test match as well where a team like england where cricket is no.2 sport should preserve wickets.

Sovik
July 30, 2008, 07:28 AM
Now ENG also lost their super hit batsmen Pitersen.

there wasn't any inside edge but he could have given it LBW. it was close

BD-Shardul
July 30, 2008, 07:38 AM
Bhai'era amar,
Shojon priti tho notun kisu na. When a captain takes the glory and fall, he is entitled to do some shojon priti. The captain wants to go to the battle with his men whom he can trust, depend upon. Imran, Steve Waugh, Naseer Hussain, Fleming all did that.

Bangladesh is a different cat and please do not compare us with others. Other captains admit they may have come short at times. They take the blame when lose a game or two. Ours don't have those words in their vocabulary. So our captain should not have the luxury of doing shojon priti.

Bagh mama, I am comparing the selectors not the captains. :D

But what you have said about the captains is true. Amader captainder kono udarota nai. harley je keptin hishebe nijeke responsibility nitey hoy, ei jinish tader kolponateo nai. kamer kaj ja kortey pare to hoilo onnojoner ghare doshta diye deya.

Sovik
July 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Cook gone, he played a good innings.

Tigers_eye
July 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
164/5 Colly gone. Now Flintoff comes to the crease. If bell departs England will be allout today. Another defeat looms!!

And this was their winningest ground?

thebest
July 30, 2008, 11:14 AM
Now Amboss gone . 212/7

thebest
July 30, 2008, 11:35 AM
231 AO. Complete the farce by 2 runouts

Tigers_eye
July 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
Had Board played I think the score would be 260/8 or something at the end of the day. Colly is not having a good summer.

cricman
July 30, 2008, 02:17 PM
Flintoff is still the Best All Rounder in International Cricket even after all that time off.

tonoy
July 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
Why the f*** would you wanna drop broad for an off form collingwood? Plus, Broad would be a better bowling option than that of collingwood. Has the English selection panel gone mad? BTW, Flintoff is having an excellent time so far. With Broad and Flintoff, England would've had a better chance to go for a draw.

Slater582
July 30, 2008, 04:39 PM
:mad:

Murad
July 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
England er e ki obostha...

Are they trying to become Bangladesh version 2.0?

Ishtylish cricketer
July 31, 2008, 09:11 AM
Good to see McKenzie continuing his good form. Kallis is due for a ton. Things look omnious for England. Why is the "football style" challenge/review not used in this series?

Ishtylish cricketer
July 31, 2008, 09:13 AM
Had Board played I think the score would be 260/8 or something at the end of the day. Colly is not having a good summer.

Spot on. No doubt Collingwood's a better batsman than Broad however, he's out of form and Broad's in form with the bat. The runs would have a made a difference and Broad's bowling would have suited the pitch. To me Broad's batting's more compact than Flintoff and he's a better player of spin bowling as well. Wrong decision to include Collingwood in the XI. Ravinder Bopara needs to be drafted in.

patriot
July 31, 2008, 12:31 PM
This pitch has been made dry keeping Panesar in mind.Is it only me or is there someone who also feels Panesar is way OVER-RATED ? With his 'class' , I can never see him winning any tests matches for England .

Tigers_eye
July 31, 2008, 12:37 PM
This pitch has been made dry keeping Panesar in mind.Is it only me or is there someone who also feels Panesar is way OVER-RATED ? With his 'class' , I can never see him winning any tests matches for England .
Well he may win one against us or WI. Way over-rated by the British media.

tonoy
July 31, 2008, 12:56 PM
Man, Flintoff was breathing fire today. This is how a true all rounder is suppose to play.

Beamer
July 31, 2008, 02:43 PM
I don't know about you guys, but there are not many great sights in test cricket than a Freddie Flintoff in full flow.

To me it ranks with the very best of all time :

1.The walk to the crease by Viv and the subsequent mauling.
2. The photo perfect cover drive of Sachin.
3. The run up of Waqar Younis and Joel Garner
4. The trade mark hook of Gordon Greenidge
5. The swing and follow through of Brian Lara

Freddie ranks up there for me..

Tigers_eye
July 31, 2008, 02:51 PM
Man, Flintoff was breathing fire today. This is how a true all rounder is suppose to play.
Farhad Reza, Pathan they will surpass Freddie one day!! The new barometer of Alrounders.

BANFAN
August 2, 2008, 04:30 AM
Eng doing better, atleast some even-ness

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 09:49 AM
All of a sudden momentum swings in favour of england.
At tea
SA 111/4

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 10:19 AM
SA ticking along they need another 150. Eng need wkts.

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 10:24 AM
2 big shout tuned down by aleem darr

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
SA need 105 run Eng need 5 more wkt

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 11:40 AM
G smith gets another century in edgbaston

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 01:02 PM
South Africa need 26 more runs to win the series. England had chances but did not take it.

Miraz
August 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
South Africa decided to take the extra half an hour to finish the match. On the verge of series win, only 13 more runs required.

MohammedC
August 2, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thats it South Africa wins by 5 wicket. What an innigs by Smith. He remains 155 not out. Now thats what you call a captains knock.

They win the series 2-0 with 1 test match to play.

Miraz
August 2, 2008, 01:20 PM
Congrats South Africa!!! very well played. First series win since 1965 on England soil.

Epic innings from the captain Smith, leading from the front.

Sovik
August 2, 2008, 01:46 PM
Congrats South Africa.

mahbubH
August 2, 2008, 02:10 PM
What a test!! Great innings .. GS. Congrats South Africa.

Slater582
August 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
Congrats South Africa.

Well....one cannot deny the best team won :(

Terrific innings by Smith.

I feel South Africa have the talent to beat Australia, it's a case of if they 'believe' they can.

BD-Shardul
August 3, 2008, 07:55 AM
Smith was simply great!

Sohel
August 4, 2008, 04:13 AM
Smith is too good for England and KP not as good for former homeland. Add Filntoff not batting as well as he's bowling, and ...

bdchamp20
August 4, 2008, 07:38 AM
All the bhais from the sub-contienent which channels do I need so that I'm covered to watch all the international cricket from Bangladesh in the coming months? (BD-AUS/SL-IND/ENG-SA/PAK-NZ)

Sovik
August 7, 2008, 05:05 AM
0.1 Harmison to Smith, no run, Dropped: And Cook puts down a straightforward chance! Harmison bangs it in short of a length outside off and Smith tries to glide it over the slips cordon, Cook at gully reaches out over his head and spills the catch

BD-Shardul
August 7, 2008, 05:36 AM
Any link?

BD-Shardul
August 7, 2008, 05:36 AM
BTW, England bowlers are bowling well.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
137/6. I saw 103/1 literary and then went off do some work. I guess that brought the good luck that England needed.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:04 AM
Now 162/7. 50 overs gone. De Villers were looking good got a lbw decision. Panesar's ball hit on the flap of the back foot. Hawkeye showed the ball would go over the stumps. Last pair to get some runs for SA. Then comes Nel and Ntini.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:28 AM
Now 172/9 in 55 overs.

Harris is still in the crease faced 18 balls and yet to score. Board got two Nel and Morkel.

England has the upper hand. With Steyn out of the lineup they are destined to finish strong in the first innings (if and only if the batsmen apply themselves).

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
With Ntini wildly swinging at anything outside the offstump, 4 slips and gully, England having hard time closing the SA. 184/9 61.5 overs. That last pair has faced 7+ overs. Ntini had faced 18 balls so far scored 3 runs. :)

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:54 AM
Flintoff, Anderson, Board, Harmison all had a crack at Ntini, lol.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
Cricinfo Commentators are having a ball. Comparing Ntini's batting with golf swing with 9 iron and not having a contact with the ball, lol. Only ameture golfers misses the ball.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:58 AM
SA 190/9 63 overs. Ntini finally connects and it is a 4 of Anderson. :)

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 11:05 AM
And drinks are called. Wow!! Who would have thought SA would still be batting after 172/9 in 54.4 overs. Six more runs and this will be the third highest partnership of the innings. Hats off to these two Harris and Ntini.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 11:08 AM
Finally Panesar gets Ntini. SA 194 allout. Here comes Morkel and Nel.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
11th wicket of the day falls. Ntini gets the first. Strauss caught by Smith for 6. Bell walks in. Couple of more wickets in remaining 15 overs, this test should see a result.

Kabir
August 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
Mijan bhai...ghuman ghuman. Eka eka match dekhle bored hoye jan na? ;)

Kabir
August 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
Ayhay...Mijan bhai ki shotti amar kotha shunlen naki boss? Aray chalay jan miya bhai.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ayhay...Mijan bhai ki shotti amar kotha shunlen naki boss? Aray chalay jan miya bhai.
Tumi kon duniatey thako? Khela kokhon shesh. Ar ami ekla chilam na. ATM samsuzzaman, I mean ATMR amar chatey chilo. He was just reading the posts but not posting.

Kabir
August 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
Tumi kon duniatey thako? Khela kokhon shesh. Ar ami ekla chilam na. ATM samsuzzaman, I mean ATMR amar chatey chilo. He was just reading the posts but not posting.

Oh bujchi bujchi...tar maani ou bored hoye gesilo r ki :lol:

Sovik
August 7, 2008, 04:45 PM
its a dead series anyway. i believe south africa will comeback strongly

MohammedC
August 7, 2008, 06:41 PM
its a dead series anyway. i believe south africa will comeback strongly

True, I dont think South African palayers will let KP win his first test match as captain easily they will fight back.

But you see how English selectors dealt the captaincy matter. Ideal contender for test would have been Strauss but they knew giving captaincy to KP would divert all the media attention towards him. And they may get away from media asking millions of questions starting from weird selection and dropping players.

ECB is a winner as it seems every one has forgotten (in england) that they have lost the series.

al Furqaan
August 7, 2008, 08:26 PM
harmy apparently hitting 150k today...had no idea he was that quick

Beamer
August 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
harmy apparently hitting 150k today...had no idea he was that quick

Oh yeah..even a few years back, he was one of the fastest in the world. Him, Freddie and Simon Jones were quite the fast bowling trio. Throw in Hoggard with them and England had a great attack. That was then..

Sovik
August 8, 2008, 05:10 AM
True, I dont think South African palayers will let KP win his first test match as captain easily they will fight back.

But you see how English selectors dealt the captaincy matter. Ideal contender for test would have been Strauss but they knew giving captaincy to KP would divert all the media attention towards him. And they may get away from media asking millions of questions starting from weird selection and dropping players.

ECB is a winner as it seems every one has forgotten (in england) that they have lost the series.

I don't think Media was the reason to select KP. KP has been the most consistent batsman in the line up and struss has been in and out of form for a while.

Sohel
August 8, 2008, 06:15 AM
Of course Harmison is going to make a difference! The Telegraph is almost always right about their educated "hunches". The pinkos over at the Guardian are wrong about these things just as often, as is ECB with its chronic Tinkeristis.

Beamer
August 8, 2008, 09:31 AM
Of course Harmison is going to make a difference! The Telegraph is almost always right about these educated "hunches". The pinkos over at the Guardian are often wrong about these things, as is ECB with its chronic Tinkeristis.

Sohel

But Harmison is his own worst enemy. Where do I begin with his problems? His apparent anxiety disorder, to lack of enthusiasm to travel overseas, or frequent bout with injuries and some time erratic bowling ( Last Ashes ) make it very difficult for ECB to rely on him. Besides, the cup board is not bear. England do have a lot of young talented pacers in the pipeline. But, when on song, he is truely one of the best fast wkt taking bowlers in the World. "When" is the main operative word here.

MohammedC
August 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
Cograts to KP on scoring 100 on his first match as captain

Sovik
August 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
harmison is frustrating south africa. it will be hard for south africa to comeback in this match. they are trailing by 85 runs already

Rifat
August 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
this is Hamison's best batting performance in his life!!!
hope he gets his 50+ score today...

Sovik
August 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
i hate cricinfo. harmy is on 49 and they aren't updating. just don't want to walk down to the living room to watch it on tube

Sovik
August 8, 2008, 12:24 PM
finally harris got anderson. but the damage has been done. hope harmy could take that single to get his first fifty

BD-Shardul
August 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
Amla fighting for SL.

MohammedC
August 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44907000/jpg/_44907702_gal_fan_pa416.jpg
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- if (document.getElementById) { document.getElementById('picGalleryNoScript_6').st yle.display = 'none'; } //--> </SCRIPT>The rain continues... but some fans will wait through thick and thin

Sovik
August 10, 2008, 04:19 PM
197 needed. few good overs from south africa could turn this match around.

ialbd
August 10, 2008, 10:41 PM
hmm.... looks like it will be a consolation victory for england. still cant take any credit away from SA in this series...

Nafis_BD
August 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
Should be a close game is SA could take some early wickets. Expected England to do much better in terms of results for this tour.

I am excited about the ODIs and the T20I.

BD-Shardul
August 11, 2008, 06:32 AM
Should be a close game is SA could take some early wickets. Expected England to do much better in terms of results for this tour.

I am excited about the ODIs and the T20I.

No early wkts for SA. England progressing well. 77/0 after 21 overs.

Sohel
August 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
KP gets it done. What a way to debut as England captain !

Harmy shows why ECB should think several times before benching him again. Everyone has bad patches, but when not everyone can do what Harmy does when in form ... :)

MohammedC
August 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Eng won toss and batting
42/0 after 9 overs

SA without morkel brothers, injured

MohammedC
August 22, 2008, 09:33 AM
59/0 after 15
Eng has not lost wicket but rr is below 4

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2008, 09:46 AM
Bell is in test mode or what? 65 balls without a boundary!! wow!!

MohammedC
August 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
Eng are in spot of bother after loosing 2 wkts.
92/2 after 23

MohammedC
August 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
116/3 after 29.2
Eng will loose this match

nasimul
August 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
100 partnership between flintoff and pietersen

nasimul
August 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
270 - 280 hobe

MohammedC