PDA

View Full Version : Freak streak

AsifTheManRahman
July 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
A very interesting article (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/361108.html) by the Kumar of Sri Lankan cricket. It's amazing how these freaks manage to sneak out of loop holes in the age group/school cricket system and make it all the way up to the first class/international levels. Coaches in Bangladesh seem to focus too much on the basics, which often causes, say, a batsman with immense power and control to fade away just because he doesn't play straight enough most of the time. With the kind of stroke play that our guys are capable of, sometimes I get the feeling that all the fine-tuning is happening at the wrong places against the wrong aspects of the individual's game.

auntu
July 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
can't read from there. can u paste it here?

AsifTheManRahman
July 15, 2008, 10:46 AM
Pasting the whole thing will make it Vladmamu-esque. Here's a chunk and the physical URL:

Freak streak
Sri Lanka has produced some of the most effective unorthodox cricketers over the last 20 years
http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
July 15, 2008

<table class="pullquote" style="margin-top: 5px; width: 1px; height: 71px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" height="5">
</td> </tr> <tr><td height="1" width="10">
</td> <td class="photo">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table> Sanath Jayasuriya, Muttiah Muralitharan, Romesh Kaluwitharana, and now Lasith Malinga and Ajantha Mendis. It's wonderful to have this newness, this difference, because it opens up everyone's eyes, including fellow cricketers who might get something new from these guys to improve their game overall.

One of the reasons for so many unorthodox cricketers coming through in Sri Lanka could be, as in other parts of the subcontinent, the way kids learn to play cricket: they learn by watching, and then start playing in backyards or streets or wherever they can find space. It's possibly there that they develop these individual styles. Unless they have access to formal coaching, they tend to develop along their own lines, especially if they come late to proper leather-ball cricket.

More at: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/361108.html

Tigers_eye
July 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
Among the ones mentioned the only freak is Slinger Malinga. Clocking 90 constantly with a height of 5' 7" is freakishly freaky.

Rabz
July 15, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link, ATMR.

It is a very good read indeed.
I always thought its a good idea to nurture and develop a talent/potential just on its natural way. Yes, you do make some amendments to polish those rough edges but its the raw material we should let grow by itself.

Problem is, even if it works for some certain individual, it does not necessarily vindicates everyone who is out of ordinary.

Eg, our beloved Ash. We have, over the years, endured the agony of letting him grow his own way. it certainly didnt work out for us. His success was far and few in between.

So, how do you find the right balance?

AFAIK, there is none. Some are just meant to stand out and others not. And its those stand-outs who bring back the issue every now and then.

Kabir
July 15, 2008, 11:42 AM
So, how do you find the right balance?

AFAIK, there is none. Some are just meant to stand out and others not. And its those stand-outs who bring back the issue every now and then.

Not really. The domestic circuit is the place to filter out the garbage. Unfortunately, that's what we lack.

al Furqaan
July 15, 2008, 11:49 AM
Among the ones mentioned the only freak is Slinger Malinga. Clocking 90 constantly with a height of 5' 7" is freakishly freaky.

he's not that quick. just like ishant.

i had thought that ishant was ready to join the lee, shoaib, bond, steyn, edwards ranks, but he's a bit away. in fact, i don't think steyn is that quick either.

you wanna talk about constantly clocking 90? fidel edwards. that guy is a beast. clocks 90 or near 90 every ball i've seen him bowl (which isn't that many, but still).

malinga is a fast-medium, albeit one of the quicker ones around, like a flintoff or simon jones. malinga is no quicker than simon jones, yet jones is listed as a fast medium. he just wow's people with his slingy action.

Rabz
July 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
Not really. The domestic circuit is the place to filter out the garbage. Unfortunately, that's what we lack.

You are actually right.
See, we have a habit of splashing garbage everywhere (as a nation), eg, just look at any Dhaka city road.

So, when you infest every place with garbage, how do you filter out and how do you prepare the mechanism to pick the "poddo fool(s)" among them.

BANFAN
July 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
Very interesting. So you see, how lack of infrastructure/facility gives birth to tallents. That's why good coaches encourages natural abilities and they produce greats. But some coaches can't go out of books, they only produce mediocres. :)

ialbd
July 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
freaky & interesting indeed.....

yea, they definitely owe big time to their youth level coaches for encouraging them with their unorthodox abilities....

dont see that happening anytime soon in Bangladesh. our coaches are as conservative and resilient to learning as rest of the ppl....

cricman
July 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
I thought this Thread was on Heath Streaks personal life

israr
July 15, 2008, 04:27 PM

What? Malinga is 5'7?

Tigers_eye
July 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
What? Malinga is 5'7?
Some say 5' 6", with his wig he looks like 5' 7".

Tigers_eye
July 15, 2008, 04:42 PM

i had thought that ishant was ready to join the lee, shoaib, bond, steyn, edwards ranks, but he's a bit away. in fact, i don't think steyn is that quick either.

you wanna talk about constantly clocking 90? fidel edwards. that guy is a beast. clocks 90 or near 90 every ball i've seen him bowl (which isn't that many, but still).

malinga is a fast-medium, albeit one of the quicker ones around, like a flintoff or simon jones. malinga is no quicker than simon jones, yet jones is listed as a fast medium. he just wow's people with his slingy action.
You are official BC speed gunner. I will concede just like Bush conceded on off-shore drilling today. :) I know very little comparing to you on this topic. But he is short. Even Malcolm Marshall was 6 feet plus. Just looked short because of the giants Garner and Holding around him.

nasimul
July 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Very interesting read. Its does not necessary to have a good infrastructure to achieve something in sports world. Typical example is football playing by south American nations. South American players has its own style of playing and that is making them different from European teams.

BTW found a video abut Ajanta Mendis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecki1gqUSRI

al Furqaan
July 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
You are official BC speed gunner. I will concede just like Bush conceded on off-shore drilling today. :) I know very little comparing to you on this topic. But he is short. Even Malcolm Marshall was 6 feet plus. Just looked short because of the giants Garner and Holding around him.

just found out the other day, ntini is just 5-9. also i think the windies had a battu in their fast bowling attack. don't know who it was, but i think he was far shorter than 6 feet. had pace though.

rubel is also a 5-8 at the most type guy, yet supposedly slings it in the 140s. and he's just 18

auntu
July 16, 2008, 01:48 AM
thanx asif

MysoreHuli
July 17, 2008, 04:46 AM
Frankly, how much sucess has Malinga achieved on the International scene????

BD-Shardul
July 17, 2008, 05:37 AM
Malinga is a good bowler no doubt, bit his "jongli" style hair and unusual slinging action make him more scary.

auntu
July 19, 2008, 05:25 AM
Even Jayawardene once told to media he doesn’t like his style (colored hair n rings on eyebrow) coz it doesn’t go with the SL people’s general attitude. But even though he doesn’t like to put his nose n let him feel free.

Huda
July 20, 2008, 04:26 AM

Steyns constantly hes around 85-90mph, can notch it up if he wants to. His coach (Ian Pont when he was at Warks) on another forum said he clocked 161k's in training.

Yea i agree about Malinga, his pace is exaggerated, hes hardly bowling over 90mph+ ever, always around the fast medium pace.

Aritro
July 28, 2008, 04:09 AM

Marshall was 5'10 I think

Buddhika_s
July 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
Frankly, how much sucess has Malinga achieved on the International scene????

Hey! He's got 4 in 4! Maybe one moment but no one has ever done it in the past.

But wait up till he gets back from injury, i'm sure he'll perform more freaky stuff in the middle.

Buddhika_s
July 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
Steyns constantly hes around 85-90mph, can notch it up if he wants to. His coach (Ian Pont when he was at Warks) on another forum said he clocked 161k's in training.

Yea i agree about Malinga, his pace is exaggerated, hes hardly bowling over 90mph+ ever, always around the fast medium pace.

NZ was pawned in this, 1st semi final at the WC,
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v422378KE4CKD9x

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_duMF1ZUWPI
91mph, 88.2mph, 91mph, 91mph, 93mph, 94mph

Here another,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QhHmIdQ9080

He hits 140kmh consistently alright.

RazabQ
August 4, 2008, 02:55 AM
Malinga is genuinely quick. I watched most of the BD tour last year and he was flinging em in fast and with late swing.

Macko was definitely short - 5'9" but with that sprinter's runup and his stocky/musculuar build and big booty he could really spit fire!

Fidel is fast and short too.

Same with Darren Gough in his pomp. The Dazzler is at best 5'10 I believe.

Genuine quicks in the international scene right now:

1) Steyn & Morkel
2) Freddie Flinters
3) Lee
4) Fidel, Jerome Taylor
5) Malinga, Dilhara Fernando
6) Sohail Khan, Shoib Akhtar

Zeeshan
August 26, 2008, 02:20 PM
A [URL="http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/361108.html"] Coaches in Bangladesh seem to focus too much on the basics, which often causes, say, a batsman with immense power and control to fade away just because he doesn't play straight enough most of the time. With the kind of stroke play that our guys are capable of, sometimes I get the feeling that all the fine-tuning is happening at the wrong places against the wrong aspects of the individual's game.

kinda like putting everyone in cookie cutter mold....just like modern educational system in the world....