PDA

View Full Version : Pietersen confirmed England captain

MohammedC
August 4, 2008, 01:04 PM
Kevin Pietersen has been swiftly appointed as Michael Vaughan's successor as Test captain, while also taking the one-day leadership after Paul Collingwood handed in his notice yesterday following Vaughan's departure. Pietersen, one of the few members guaranteed to be a key player of both teams in the next few years, was the favourite to take on the joint role and his appointment was confirmed by the ECB at Lord's today. He will lead out the side for the fourth Test against South Africa this week and promised to lead on gut instinct but ask for advice, after making a decision he described as "very, very emotional".
Vaughan's resignation on Sunday brought to an end a five-year tenure as the most successful England Test captain with 26 wins. Pietersen takes over with just one ODI as captain under his belt, having led the side against New Zealand at Lord's (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/296908.html) in June when Collingwood was serving a four-ODI suspension. Andrew Flintoff had taken the reins when Vaughan was injured for England's last Ashes campaign, the ill-fated 5-0 walloping by Australia in 2006-07.

CI Report (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/current/story/363623.html)

Sovik
August 4, 2008, 03:05 PM
its now his job to loose

Ishtylish cricketer
August 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
I would have liked to see Strauss get the test job but KP has earned it with his batting and will eagerly wait to see how he fares in the last test match.

Sohel
August 5, 2008, 08:40 AM
Maybe this the exactly the type of change England needed.

But is it "too early" for KP to take the job quite rightfully his, IMHO?

I sure as **** hope so. Good luck KP!

nasimul
August 5, 2008, 09:14 AM
May be its early for Pietersen to take this job. Anyway wishing good luck to Pietersen.

ahaque
August 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
i think he will do a good job...he's intelligent enough

BANFAN
August 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
Finaly a S.African gets the English captaincy. He was undoubtedly the best choice for England.