PDA

View Full Version : Do you support the rebel ICL players from BD or not?

WarWolf
September 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
For last two days a lot of discussions have been going on. It's time to summarize our thoughts in a poll. Please find yourself free to express your thoughts.

Zeeshan
September 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
warwolf vai...eta ektu beshi rhetorical hoye jache na?

Dhakablues
September 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
Would it be better, if you had a poll instead?

Personally, I support it.. I am happy that I will get to see now two Bangladeshi teams competing, the national team and the Dhaka Warriors. I also hope that ICL will resolve the conflicts with BCI,, and then suddenly our players will not be villians but pioneering heroes. Ironic that a political issue has now made this really exciting news a traitor vs. professional fight.

WarWolf
September 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
I attached a poll. Probably did some thing wrong with it.

cricket_king
September 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Would it be better, if you had a poll instead?

Personally, I support it.. I am happy that I will get to see now two Bangladeshi teams competing, the national team and the Dhaka Warriors. I also hope that ICL will resolve the conflicts with BCI,, and then suddenly our players will not be villians but pioneering heroes. Ironic that a political issue has now made this really exciting news a traitor vs. professional fight.

There is no way the board should let these players back into the National team even if the BCCI change their minds on the ICL. They've left us for their own selfish reasons (excluding Bashar), and I don't think any one will consider them "pioneering heroes".

I just don't see how some members are taking this so lightly....some even excited about a new team to support.

Trigger_Tiger
September 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
If they want to go, go. I feel a little betrayed as a fan personally. But when it comes to support, I don't want to be like them if they are dubbed sinister for choosing their career life over what people want, and hence I surely would be supportive and hope they do their best. But am not very impressed by what they did and that too so suddenly!

AsifTheManRahman
September 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
My cricket-watching schedule just got tighter and more exciting.

Kana-Baba
September 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
send them all to crossfire ... RAB bhaiye eituku upokar korbe na ? :)

Ajfar
September 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
shireen er ganer ekta line boli..."shikaya piriti...korelo dakati".....

Zeeshan
September 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
shireen er ganer ekta line boli..."shikaya piriti...korelo dakati".....

bangladesh_sy vai: wats up wit you and shireen? khali shireen shireen koren ka?

Ajfar
September 15, 2008, 06:59 PM
bangladesh_sy vai: wats up wit you and shireen? khali shireen shireen koren ka?

shireen er album last week download korchi..gan gula shunte shunte ekhon mogoje atke gese...

Gowza
September 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
well i think it's kind of low to ditch your nation when it needs you but i understand why they made the move. i don't really support the move but i'm still going to follow them and hope they do well, tbh i would just like to see some bangladesh players doing well regardless of who they're playing for and for me it's going to be interesting to see whether the different environment and situation will create a change in the performance of these players.

someone brought it up in another thread, this could cause a better development in BD cricket, it could become much more professional due to what's happening atm, though if BD loses test status quickly then i reckon cricket in BD will be focused on less and thus we'll experience a bit of a downfall.

Avik
September 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
kisu kisu player er jonno etai best option. average players like dhiman, forhad... ar prospective player, but uncertain future wala mosharraf er jonno o etai best option.

bashar rafique to almost retired. rafique retired. bashar ke ignore kora hoise, so takeo dosh dewa jaey na.

loss hobe 2-3 ta khetre. shahriar nafees and aftab. ei duijon keno gelo bujhlam na. bakider ke khub dosh dite partesi na.

Trigger_Tiger
September 15, 2008, 09:05 PM
kisu kisu player er jonno etai best option. average players like dhiman, forhad... ar prospective player, but uncertain future wala mosharraf er jonno o etai best option.

bashar rafique to almost retired. rafique retired. bashar ke ignore kora hoise, so takeo dosh dewa jaey na.

loss hobe 2-3 ta khetre. shahriar nafees and aftab. ei duijon keno gelo bujhlam na. bakider ke khub dosh dite partesi na.

Welcome to banglacricket Avik. This is your Wafi Bhai :D!

Murad
September 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm not gonna support them but I will definitely check the scores. :)

RezOne
September 15, 2008, 11:04 PM
I don't like the choices but I will definitely root for the team.

Tehsin
September 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
Given that they will represent Bangladesh in an international league, I will support the team. I can't believe I am saying that but to me, BD comes before my personal emotions towards the people involved. If I support the team, I am bound to root for the players to do well in that league.

The players could have handled it differently, however, they probably wanted to prove a point about BCB. They had a personal axe to grind against BCB and I understand their misguided frustration. If they had a good PR person, their concerns/complaints would not have sounded like whinning. I do not question their decision to take the pay-hike and join a lucrative league. They will be facing better quality opponents and bring back those experience to the domestic circuit. If BCCI and ICL ever get to kiss and make up, this players will get another shot at representing BD, IF they are good enough. When that happens, most of us will lin up to support them. So, as it remains, I do not hate them for joining ICL, I am dissapointed that they were forced to retire so they can make some $$$, and I am a little amused by the fact that some of them were expecting to be in the playing eleven with their recent poor performances. The most absurd excuse was from Dhiman.

BANFAN
September 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
WOOT WOOT !

:)

TV channel will otherwise be showing ICL. Instead of watching & hearing Lahore Badsha..... I would love to watch & hear about Dhaka Wariors. 1 player & 1 match, IPL was an insult for BD. These boys have challenged the myth, "BD Can't Play competitive Cricket" lets see what they can prove.

Tintin
September 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
They will be facing better quality opponents and bring back those experience to the domestic circuit.

If BCCI gets it way, they will be banned from all domestic cricket in Bangladesh. So far, England is the only country that let ICL players appear in domestic cricket, and that was after they threatened to go to the court.

The national team will not be affected in the short term, but domestic cricket will be deprived of many experienced players. The next bunch of players who make their international debut for Bangladesh will be even less experienced and skilled than the current bunch when they first appeared.

Faisal
September 15, 2008, 11:53 PM
Yes. They are doing the right thing.

Zeeshan
September 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
wow! 13 against 11... nevermind wat i said...i withdraw my premature comment

khalek
September 16, 2008, 12:42 AM
Joining the ICL is only justified for Rafique, Bashar and Baisya...

but Nafees, Aftab, Reza, Ghosh, Nazim (i am sure he is going) are not allowed to do that... they should be jailed for cheating on the team and country...

kalpurush
September 16, 2008, 03:16 AM

but Nafees, Aftab, Reza, Ghosh, Nazim (i am sure he is going) are not allowed to do that... they should be jailed for cheating on the team and country...
[বাংলা]যে দেশে প্রধান মন্ত্রী, অর্থ মন্ত্রী আয়কর দেয়না, বিচারপতি জালিয়াতি করে, সরকারী -বিরোধী দলের নেতা-নেত্রী ঘুষ নেয়, সামরিক বাহিনী অসাধু পন্থায় ক্ষমতা দখল করে...সেই দেশে এটা এমনকি অপরাধ?!:o

[/বাংলা]

Nocturnal
September 16, 2008, 04:09 AM
[বাংলা]বিদ্রোহীদের সমর্থন করছে না ক্রিকেটার্স কল্যাণ সমিতি :up:

ঢাকা, ১৬ সেপ্টেম্বর (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম)--- ক্রিকেটার্স কল্যাণ সমিতি মনে করে বিদ্রোহী ৬ ক্রিকেটার যা করেছেন তা কোনোভাবেই পেশাদারিত্বের সঙ্গে যায় না। আর তাই তারা তাদের পাশে না দাঁড়িয়ে বরং তাদের ভুল পথ ছেড়ে ফিরে আসার আহ্বান জানিয়েছেন। মঙ্গলবার ধানমন্ডির পানশি রেস্তোরায় আয়োজিত এক সংবাদ সম্মেলনে এভাবেই তাদের অবস্থান ব্যাখ্যা করল দেশের ক্রিকেটারদের প্রতিনিধিত্বশীল সংগঠনটি। সংক্ষেপে কোয়াব নামে পরিচিত সংগঠনটির পক্ষে সেখানে উপস্থিত ছিলেন সংগঠনের সভাপতি জাতীয় ক্রিকেট দলের সাবেক অধিনায়ক নাঈমুর রহমান, সহ-সভাপতি এবং আরেক সাবেক অধিনায়ক আমিনুল ইসলাম, সংগঠনের সাধারণ সম্পাদক দেবব্রত পালসহ অন্যান্য নেতৃবৃন্দ।

'তারা অবসরের চিঠিতে যেসব কারণ দেখিয়েছেন সেগুলো একেবারেই শিশুসুলভ কারণ। আমরা মনে করি এটা তাদের পেশাদরি মানসিকতার অভাবের কারণে হয়েছে। আশা করি তারা ভুল বুঝে এই পথ থেকে ফিরে আসবেন''--- বললেন সাবেক অধিনায়ক আমিনুল ইসলাম। তার কাছে খেলোয়াড়দের যুক্তিগুলোকে শিশুসুলভ মনে হচ্ছে কারণ,''একজন বলেছেন জাতীয় দলের বিদেশী কোচ নাকি তার সঙ্গে খারাপ আচরণ করেছেন। এখানে আমরা যারা বসে আছি তাদের প্রায় প্রত্যেকেই বিদেশী কোচের নানান আপত্তিকর আচরণের শিকার হয়েছেন বিভিন্ন সময়। কিন্তু তার মানে কি এই যে জাতীয় দল ছেড়ে দিতে হবে।'' ইঙ্গিতটা পরিষ্কারভাবেই হাবিবুল বাশারের দিকে, যেমন ইঙ্গিতে তিনি খণ্ডন করেছেন শাহরিয়ার নাফীসের যুক্তিকেও,''একজন বলেছেন যে তার দলে থাকার নিশ্চয়তা নেই। আমরা কিন্তু দেখেছি তিনি গত কয়েকটা সিরিজেই দলে ছিলেন। আর আমরা মনে করি দলে থাকার নিশ্চয়তা কেউ কাউকে দিতে পারে না, সেই নিশ্চয়তা হলো তার ব্যাট এবং তার পারফরম্যান্স।''

ক্রিকেটারদের কল্যাণের জন্য যে সংগঠন তাদের অবস্থান পরিষ্কারভাবেই বিদ্রোহী ক্রিকেটারদের বিপক্ষে। সভাপতি নাঈমুর রহমানের কাছে তাই প্রশ্নটা এল অন্য দৃষ্টিকোণ থেকে। কোয়াব ক্রিকেটারদের আন্তর্জাতিক সংগঠন ফিকার সদস্য এবং ফিকা সবসময় খেলোয়াড়দের স্বাধীনতার কথা বলে। সে হিসেবে ক্রিকেটারদের স্বাধীন চিন্তার পথে বাধা হয়ে দাঁড়ানোটা কি যৌক্তিক হচ্ছে? নাঈমুর রহমানের উত্তর,''আমরা বিষয়টা দেখছি বাংলাদেশের প্রেক্ষাপট থেকে। আমাদের এমনিতেই রিসোর্স কম, মানসম্পন্ন ক্রিকেটারের সংখ্যা সীমিত। সেখানে এ ধরনের ঘটনা ঘটলে সেটা তো দেশের ক্রিকেটকেই পিছিয়ে দেবে। তারা খেলোয়াড় কল্যাণ সমিতির মাধ্যমেও আলাপ করতে পারত। আমরা প্রস্তাবের বিষয়ে বোর্ডের সঙ্গে কথা বলতে পারতাম।''

আরেকটা প্রশ্ন টাকার অংক। বিশাল এই অংক খেলোয়াড়দের মাথা ঘুরিয়ে দিয়েছে বলেই অধিকাংশের বিশ্বাস। আর তাই জানতে চাওয়া হলো বাংলাদেশের জাতীয় দলের ক্রিকেটাররা যে টাকা পান সেটা যথেষ্ট কিনা? আমিনুল মনে করেন যথেষ্টই,''আমি ভারতের সঙ্গে তুলনা করবো না। করাটা ঠিকও হবে না। করতে হবে বাংলাদেশের মানদণ্ডে। আর সেই হিসেবে তারা শুধু ভালো টাকাই পায় না, তারা যথেষ্ট মর্যাদাও পায়।'' [/বাংলা]

WarWolf
September 16, 2008, 05:10 AM
[বাংলা]বিদ্রোহীদের সমর্থন করছে না ক্রিকেটার্স কল্যাণ সমিতি :up:
আরেকটা প্রশ্ন টাকার অংক। বিশাল এই অংক খেলোয়াড়দের মাথা ঘুরিয়ে দিয়েছে বলেই অধিকাংশের বিশ্বাস। আর তাই জানতে চাওয়া হলো বাংলাদেশের জাতীয় দলের ক্রিকেটাররা যে টাকা পান সেটা যথেষ্ট কিনা? আমিনুল মনে করেন যথেষ্টই,''আমি ভারতের সঙ্গে তুলনা করবো না। করাটা ঠিকও হবে না। করতে হবে বাংলাদেশের মানদণ্ডে। আর সেই হিসেবে তারা শুধু ভালো টাকাই পায় না, তারা যথেষ্ট মর্যাদাও পায়।'' [/বাংলা]
Totally agree with Aminul.

WarWolf
September 16, 2008, 05:32 AM
Very hard competition so far...
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tcat" colspan="4"> View Poll Results: Do you support the rebel ICL players from BD or not? </td> </tr> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: pollresult --> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="75%"> Yes. They are doing the right thing. </td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap"> http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar2-l.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar2.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar2-r.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/clear.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" width="12%">17</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="13%">42.50%</td> </tr> <!-- END TEMPLATE: pollresult --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: pollresult --> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="75%"> No. Totally unacceptable. </td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap"> http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar3-l.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar3.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar3-r.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/clear.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" width="12%">18</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="13%">45.00%</td> </tr> <!-- END TEMPLATE: pollresult --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: pollresult --> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="75%"> Others..(Please explain your thoughts) </td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap"> http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar4-l.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar4.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/polls/bar4-r.gifhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/clear.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" width="12%">5</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="13%">12.50%</td></tr></tbody></table>

simon
September 16, 2008, 06:07 AM

Ya, you said it all.
I also think that for plyrs like Bashar or otheres except Nafees, Aftab, Reza, Ghosh it's ok to join bcse they won't get chance in national team.
But for the other 4 plyrs it is so selfish to leave Bd eventhough they surely had the chance to come back in the team.

Abid_Khan
September 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
They betrayed us. They will get US$200,000 but when they come home, the bangladeshi fans will just spit on them and burn their house on fire. What a shame...

mafizraju
September 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
If BCCI gets it way, they will be banned from all domestic cricket in Bangladesh. So far, England is the only country that let ICL players appear in domestic cricket, and that was after they threatened to go to the court.

The national team will not be affected in the short term, but domestic cricket will be deprived of many experienced players. The next bunch of players who make their international debut for Bangladesh will be even less experienced and skilled than the current bunch when they first appeared.

and this is the right point. ECB took more pragmatic approach on this thing. I want to see Bangladesh do the same, instead of taking emotinaly biased decision. True Players have mentioned few things in public which certainly looks like being emotionaly biased.

I say its the BCB who has to take the responsibility of the distance and not ban these people from at least domestic circuit. Its a good news that BCB has not accepted their resignation but threatened to go to the court. But in the court of Law Players will win and in the mean time relationaships will go even more sour. I say BCB accept the decision of the players Given Players Play Domestic Cricket and be prepared for national team. As simple as that.

By doing that there will be pressure from BCCI. But Kewies, West Indies and ECB will suport us on this matter. PCB should not be too far either as they were affected by ICL and BCCI quarrel.

I hope BCB takes the more pragmatic approach and instead being emotionaly biased and bend to the pressure of mighty India. Its time that they set a competitive tone to players of country where Organised Dissent is hardly to comeby.

Kabir
September 16, 2008, 08:33 AM

Err...I don't see any value that these players provide to the domestic league. Among the highest scorers, their names rarely appear. Among the leading wicket takers, their names rarely appear as well.

That is not to say that they have left a void in there...and it will take time to correct it. But that, IMHO, will help BD cricket in the long run. It will help in improved managemenet, and BCB and the BD cricket clubs will know that they will have to make it worthwhile for these players to stay once they are performing well in the highest of the domestic level.

Among the six players, I think only Aftab had some value left in him. But I personally don't think he had anything more to offer to BD cricket.

What I see out of this whole thing is that, a Bangladeshi team gets into the Indian league, which will give more exposure to our cricket...and that will be better for our cricket in the long run.

Tigers_eye
September 16, 2008, 08:51 AM
Freedom of choices. The only thing the board can ask for the contracted players, a compensation. :) (Manay share of the loot - Loot because they don't deserve that amount anyways)

AsifTheManRahman
September 16, 2008, 09:04 AM
The supporters are winning. The revolution is here. Go Warriors!

Tehsin
September 16, 2008, 09:13 AM
ATMR, revolution my arse. Mathai tuley rakso eder. Amake team e neina so aami quit korlaam kintu, or coach amake buro BHAM dakse, aami khelbona, or coach amake 'dinner' e niye jaini, khelbona. Soja shapta boluk, aami mediocre player (BD standard e), ei shob competition e jete parbona, jibone cricket kheleo $30-$200K pabona, ei shujog pelam, niye nilam. Or, ektu chalaki kore bolte parey, desher cricket ke international stage e niye jawar uddeshshe eta korlam. Dekhben, ICL e bhalo performance korey, okhan theke quit kore abar desher hoye khelbo inshallah.

WarWolf
September 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
NO, ATMR. it's 50-50 situation now. 22 votes for each side while didn't chose any side.

Kabir
September 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
By the way, it reminds me of the Russel Peters joke: "we can use a couple of these gay guys to control our over-population problem"

In the same way, "we can use a few of these discards to raise our cricket and bring home some foreign money"

:lol:

Nocturnal
September 16, 2008, 02:40 PM
ATMR, revolution my arse. Mathai tuley rakso eder. Amake team e neina so aami quit korlaam kintu, or coach amake buro BHAM dakse, aami khelbona, or coach amake 'dinner' e niye jaini, khelbona. Soja shapta boluk, aami mediocre player (BD standard e), ei shob competition e jete parbona, jibone cricket kheleo $30-$200K pabona, ei shujog pelam, niye nilam. Or, ektu chalaki kore bolte parey, desher cricket ke international stage e niye jawar uddeshshe eta korlam. Dekhben, ICL e bhalo performance korey, okhan theke quit kore abar desher hoye khelbo inshallah.

ditto

BANFAN
September 16, 2008, 02:47 PM
Go Warriors !!

Best of luck

Faisal
September 16, 2008, 02:52 PM
i support Dhaka Warriors, Go Dhaka go..

Fazal
September 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
Not bad.... 41% Fans are supporting the players... its close to mid level support.

Its more than what I was expecting at this level, specially for hujukey Bangalee fans.

Baundule
September 16, 2008, 05:06 PM
Good luck, Warriors.

Trigger_Tiger
September 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
I support the team, I support the players in the team, for the team, and only as a team and nothing less!

I personally feel saddened by the departure of a few bright stars. But whatever happens, life moves on and this is not the end of the world. While sure I am disappointed by some of their departure and decision, I am not out for their blood. They are afterall representing our Nation in someway. Be it for the money, they were in the national team for the money as well. It was their job and not only a matter of patriotic duty.
Even though patriotism was a package that came with that bag, with this one, it is finance first and nation second only.

As fans, it is best to act matured and remain fans of the game. Hold our head up high and be proud of our nation and all that represent it for the good. They are representing it anyways. Love them or hate them, I still love cricket, I still love my country and would support it in whatever event it is represented.

In the name of true national spirit, let all of us be matured (more than those who left.....sham-fans and sham-players alike) and keep on moving forward.

zia
September 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
There is no way they can perform better than our national side. They will only bring disgrace to Dhaka's name. Any one want to bet? I will not watch their games. I am commited to :flag: and will not deal with traitors.

Trigger_Tiger
September 16, 2008, 05:22 PM
There is no way they can perform better than our national side. They will only bring disgrace to Dhaka's name. Any one want to bet? I will not watch their games. I am commited to :flag: and will not deal with traitors.

Lalalalala.....they are playing in the ICL BECAUSE they aren't as good as the National Side. Sheesh! Disgrace to Dhaka's name? Leaving was quite disgraceful. Considering how ICL is considered "a disgraced tournament" it doesn't matter much though does it.

Best of luck though. Shine with those swords o mighty ones.
Btw, zia, didn't you find that picture with the "Solemani Torobari" hilarious :-p? Glamour. Something that befits SN anyways *khek*!

zia
September 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
Lalalalala.....they are playing in the ICL BECAUSE they aren't as good as the National Side. Sheesh! Disgrace to Dhaka's name? Leaving was quite disgraceful. Considering how ICL is considered "a disgraced tournament" it doesn't matter much though does it.

Best of luck though. Shine with those swords o mighty ones.
Btw, zia, didn't you find that picture with the "Solemani Torobari" hilarious :-p? Glamour. Something that befits SN anyways *khek*!
I saw the swords. After their flop venture they will use them to "harakiri". :lol:

AsifTheManRahman
September 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
I am actually very optimistic about this move. The news has hit the headlines in several mediums over the past couple of days and expectedly so. Cricket is, after all, a very boring game and had it not been one of the sports that we can hope to excel in one day, I would probably not have followed it since the age of seven. The only way to make it more competitive is to let the players - the most important assets of the game, mind you - play wherever and whenever they like. Let there be as much cricket (especially club cricket, where players of different origins can mix and match and share their knowledge of the game) as possible. As it is, the game doesn't do enough for its players, not at least when compared to, say, soccer, which IMO should be a role model for cricket.

A little over three decades ago, a bunch of rebels led by Kerry Packer were going to change the game forever. Some did it for the money, some were labeled traitors in their respective countries. Thirty years after their revolution, a young, spirited Bangladeshi side backed by a hundred and forty million people defeated New Zealand en route to decapitating the giants India and South Africa at an ODI world cup event. Packer's men had not only ignited sparks among followers of the game, but tread a path that led to the joys of many a cricket fan in my country.

While I will miss some of the Warriors and find their reasons to retire rather amateurish, I am glad that they have made the move. The 50 over match has long been a dead game and has to go in order to save cricket. If we are going to have more teams compete for the top spot in international cricket (as opposed to one, as we currently have), if we are to see cricket as an Olympic sport one day, the game has to spread far and wide across the globe. The only way that is going to happen is through the introduction of a format that will perk the interests of cricket illiterate brains; and, of course, through letting more and more leagues evolve and prosper. The players should be able to make as much as they can because, at the end of the day, they are the ones in charge of entertaining us.

With the amount of media attention that the Warriors have had over the past forty eight hours, I hope more players from around the world will follow their path and invertebrate bodies such as the ICC will eventually give in to the inevitable and legalize these rebel leagues. As for the fans, we are such hypocrites! Team e thakle ekta maair o matite pore na, team theke baair howe jawa matro galagali shuru howe jaay.

Support the Warriors, because hopefully, they have started something that will change cricket as we know it today.

Fazal
September 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
I am actually very optimistic about this move. The news has hit the headlines in several mediums over the past couple of days and expectedly so. Cricket is, after all, a very boring game and had it not been one of the sports that we can hope to excel in one day, I would probably not have followed it since the age of seven. The only way to make it more competitive is to let the players - the most important assets of the game, mind you - play wherever and whenever they like. Let there be as much cricket (especially club cricket, where players of different origins can mix and match and share their knowledge of the game) as possible. As it is, the game doesn't do enough for its players, not at least when compared to, say, soccer, which IMO should be a role model for cricket.

A little over three decades ago, a bunch of rebels led by Kerry Packer were going to change the game forever. Some did it for the money, some were labeled traitors in their respective countries. Thirty years after their revolution, a young, spirited Bangladeshi side backed by a hundred and forty million people defeated New Zealand en route to decapitating the giants India and South Africa at an ODI world cup event. Packer's men had not only ignited sparks among followers of the game, but tread a path that led to the joys of many a cricket fan in my country.

While I will miss some of the Warriors and find their reasons to retire rather amateurish, I am glad that they have made the move. The 50 over match has long been a dead game and has to go in order to save cricket. If we are going to have more teams compete for the top spot in international cricket (as opposed to one, as we currently have), if we are to see cricket as an Olympic sport one day, the game has to spread far and wide across the globe. The only way that is going to happen is through the introduction of a format that will perk the interests of cricket illiterate brains; and, of course, through letting more and more leagues evolve and prosper. The players should be able to make as much as they can because, at the end of the day, they are the ones in charge of entertaining us.

With the amount of media attention that the Warriors have had over the past forty eight hours, I hope more players from around the world will follow their path and invertebrate bodies such as the ICC will eventually give in to the inevitable and legalize these rebel leagues. As for the fans, we are such hypocrites! Team e thakle ekta maair o matite pore na, team theke baair howe jawa matro galagali shuru howe jaay.

Support the Warriors, because hopefully, they have started something that will change cricket as we know it today.

Exactly !!! Great minds think alike !!!

Trigger_Tiger
September 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
Adding on, on a positive note, this shows exactly how important Bangladesh's existence is in the cricketing world. Chappell and co. talks about us all the time.....if we were not so important would they? And now after this, they act like this is the end to Bangladesh's cricketing prospect since our "best" cricketers left us! Well weren't those "best" cricketers the ones who comprised our teams which were criticized by theses same folks from time to time?

Headlining time and again is Bangladesh. That in itself is a positive move :)!

Not to mention how the ICL All Stars, Bangladesh, India and Pakistan would be taking part in the ICL World Series ONLY!

Hmm.....now that is some importance none can ignore :)!

Zaheed Mahmood
September 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
It was may be justified for the national discards Rafiq and Bashar to make the Dhaka Warrior and join ICL, but Shahriar, Aftab, Alok, Dhiman, Reza and Hossain were on national payroll and their requests for retirement at this age from all international cricket only to join ICL only brings up the pathetic picture of how these youngsters could give up the pride and embarrass the whole nation to go after the big money!! Cricket is the top sport now in our country and the whole nation adore those who made it to the national team! New Zealand now fears whether it would be right for them to play against a weakened team with 6 of its regular players leaving the side! None will be surprised if ICC now questions BD's test status since 6 of its regular player retire all of a sudden and may suggest scrapping off the test status temporarily as was done for Zimbabwe!! The countries that have been against our test status will only be too happy to welcome our rebel players’ exodus to ICL!!

Zaheed

Zaheed Mahmood
September 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
Couldn’t help giving all the plaudits to Ash if he really had refused the lure of highest 15 crore take payment from ICL for the sake of his country! Whatever rumor is there on him, whatever lean patch of form he has recently been in, he deserves this praise!!

Zeeshan
September 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
i just love cricman bhaya's post abt ash being committed.... too bad he got banned :-(

Murad
September 16, 2008, 10:33 PM
It was may be justified for the national discards Rafiq and Bashar to make the Dhaka Warrior and join ICL, but Shahriar, Aftab, Alok, Dhiman, Reza and Hossain were on national payroll and their requests for retirement at this age from all international cricket only to join ICL only brings up the pathetic picture of how these youngsters could give up the pride and embarrass the whole nation to go after the big money!! Cricket is the top sport now in our country and the whole nation adore those who made it to the national team! New Zealand now fears whether it would be right for them to play against a weakened team with 6 of its regular players leaving the side! None will be surprised if ICC now questions BD's test status since 6 of its regular player retire all of a sudden and may suggest scrapping off the test status temporarily as was done for Zimbabwe!! The countries that have been against our test status will only be too happy to welcome our rebel players’ exodus to ICL!!

Zaheed

Don't worry. Nothing will happen like this.

NZ will tour BD. They've already sent their A-team to compete in the Tri-series in India.

Our new BD team will give a good fight this time. All the craps are gone. We will see better players now.

dash
September 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
Ill support them

Dhakablues
September 17, 2008, 12:37 AM
Exactly !!! Great minds think alike !!!

Count me in that minority club!!!

Any Bangladeshi players,, anywhere in the world playing, we will support them and will pay whatever to watch their games. And if it is especially for My Birthplace Dhaka.. I am the warrior to defend them when they fight the Badshahs..Let the game begin!!!

checkmate
September 17, 2008, 07:02 AM
It might be a blessing in disguise,ICL needs Recognition,Players need money,The domestic Cricket might get a bit more competitive,Coz now players know,if BCB ignores,ICL will see them.and They will attack as many board as they can, so that ICC recognizes them.

checkmate
September 17, 2008, 07:07 AM

EXACTLY.Competition Improves the quality.Now The monopoly of BCCI might come to a halt,and ICL might get recognised

Sovik
September 17, 2008, 07:19 AM
don't know about others but i will support them. i am sure there are many bangladeshi left their jobs in bangladesh and went to work abroad. after all its their lives and they have the rights to do what is the best for them and the families

WarWolf
September 17, 2008, 07:41 AM
Brother Asir, we are clearly leading now with a difference of 11.

ialbd
September 17, 2008, 07:49 AM
whats there to support? glory at the retired/budda league called ICL?

i wish this was ranji trophy or atleast IPL. there is absolutely nothing to gain (cricket wise) from this....

Kabir
September 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
Since when did ATMR become William ATMR Shakespeare?

Hebbi lekha likhse to? Jaak...amader modhdhe dui ekta kobi o beche ase taile.

bdchamp20
September 17, 2008, 12:47 PM
ATM no. But that doesn't mean I can't be converted.

SS
September 17, 2008, 01:01 PM

Supporting the Warriors is not the main issue here. The overall impact on BD cricket for temporary basis is in jeopardy though most of them not in the national test squad or have some sort of bad patches going on. This new move, new evolution could be good in disguise but not for BD at this time. If we had more suitable pipeline players who could have been perfect replacements/backups, definitely we would not care about the move. Imagine what will happen, when more players will live after playing 3 years for National team, do you think we can have quality pipeline players as their replacements. Also just banning will not solve this, rather BCB has to change the strategy of retaining players and needs to have robust policy to develop these players. Players are becoming more professional what we lacked before in Nannu, Bulbul era but professionalism is good but using it for bad purpose at the wrong time will just destroy the value of professionalism. Players and BCB should have chose a spoke person before rushing into these resignations and banning issues. As lots of posters here mentioned recent act is a reactive act and Authorithy did not take the matter seriously at all.
This new development has more bad impact than the good impact for the current BD cricket.

thebest
September 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
don't compare ICL with the Kerry Packer revolution though they had similar motive - market share. In Packer's circus best of the bests played; ICL consist of some discard and some promising. Packer actually reaped all the national team bar India. ICL none. Packer revolutionize cricket - like color kits, balls and night cricket. I could not find one though some said City base franchise may work. But I have doubt. Cricket is and always a nationalist game unlike football which is truely city base franchise; both from players and supporter perspective. For example just few days ago Jimmi Carrager said he accept defeat playing for England rather easily than for Liverpool. You would not heard those even from HB that it hurts more if they lose playing for Dhaka Cowards than Bangladesh.
I would not even tag them as rebel. That means you and I are always rebel whenever we change our employer. But at the same time I would not support them because I have no emotional attachment with the team.

checkmate
September 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
Supporting the Warriors is not the main issue here. The overall impact on BD cricket for temporary basis is in jeopardy though most of them not in the national test squad or have some sort of bad patches going on. This new move, new evolution could be good in disguise but not for BD at this time. If we had more suitable pipeline players who could have been perfect replacements/backups, definitely we would not care about the move. Imagine what will happen, when more players will live after playing 3 years for National team, do you think we can have quality pipeline players as their replacements. Also just banning will not solve this, rather BCB has to change the strategy of retaining players and needs to have robust policy to develop these players. Players are becoming more professional what we lacked before in Nannu, Bulbul era but professionalism is good but using it for bad purpose at the wrong time will just destroy the value of professionalism. Players and BCB should have chose a spoke person before rushing into these resignations and banning issues. As lots of posters here mentioned recent act is a reactive act and Authorithy did not take the matter seriously at all.
This new development has more bad impact than the good impact for the current BD cricket.

ICC Have never run Cricket professionally,decision were based on Money,Power.I think BCB is more at Fault here, they never had a consistent Selection Policy,It actually might Improve the Status of Bangladesh Cricket, Domestic cricket Might get more Competitive,Players will perform coz now they know,There are other people who look at them.And Now IF BCB Takes the Right Initiative we might Get Better,Consistant Players.Even in Football,Club football contributes more to the game,Improving the player.they Most South Ameriacan Football players play in European Clubs,I dont think The south American, African Football Board has that Money to develop these Players,the Motivation for these players come from the Club.What these Strong Headed ICC Should do is Legalise ICL.

meazz1
September 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
From a cricket fan's point of view, I think it's great that these players joined ICL.
This gives more fuel to the nation team to rise and show some serious improvement.

I have now two BD teams to follow.

thasan
September 17, 2008, 03:02 PM
yes yes and yes!!! i will be supporting them.
shame on lame BCB. if what i read in cricinfo about alok is right, then the whole BCB admin should be kicked out for being stupid and arrogant, not the players

WarWolf
September 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
don't compare ICL with the Kerry Packer revolution though they had similar motive - market share. In Packer's circus best of the bests played; ICL consist of some discard and some promising. Packer actually reaped all the national team bar India. ICL none. Packer revolutionize cricket - like color kits, balls and night cricket. I could not find one though some said City base franchise may work. But I have doubt. Cricket is and always a nationalist game unlike football which is truely city base franchise; both from players and supporter perspective. For example just few days ago Jimmi Carrager said he accept defeat playing for England rather easily than for Liverpool. You would not heard those even from HB that it hurts more if they lose playing for Dhaka Cowards than Bangladesh.
I would not even tag them as rebel. That means you and I are always rebel whenever we change our employer. But at the same time I would support them because I have no emotional attachment with the team.

Very good post.

WarWolf
September 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
Any one changed his initial view?

Roni_uk
September 18, 2008, 07:17 PM
OFCOURSE they did the right thing... I dont understand what the fuss is about. I am glad that some of these players are getting well paid at last and almost all the players had some contribution to the country at some stage of their life and they deserve a chance to be part of the international arena. L

Let it be Dhaka Worrior, lets not forget they are still representing 'Bangladesh' -our country. Whether its the national team, or Team A or B - the most important thing is they represent Bangladesh and I know I will be watching Dhaka Worrier in ICL with my Bangladeshi flag in hand!

Absolutely disguisted by the ban.....

BANFAN
September 19, 2008, 10:10 AM
ATM no. But that doesn't mean I can't be converted.

Please accept my Dawah for convertion to an ICL Fan ! or a DW fan

:)

Dhakablues
September 19, 2008, 10:34 AM
Dhaka Warriors = Death Magnetic ( Suicide and Redemption)