PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh coach rules out panic after player exodus

Miraz
September 17, 2008, 06:56 AM
Bangladesh coach rules out panic after player exodus

DHAKA (AFP) — Bangladesh's cricket coach on Wednesday denied the sport was in crisis after 13 players quit to play for a rebel Indian Twenty20 league, but said officials must prevent any more from leaving.
Australian-born Jamie Siddons told AFP via telephone from Brisbane, where he is being treated for a shoulder injury, that the news of the exodus this week had not come as a complete surprise.
"I think everyone knew this was waiting in the wings," he said.
The Indian Cricket League (ICL) unveiled its new Dhaka Warriors team on Tuesday evening in New Delhi, which comprises 11 Bangladesh internationals reportedly earning 200,000 dollars each over a three-year period.
Players aligned with the ICL are banned from playing official domestic and international cricket.
Siddons, who joined Bangladesh a year ago, said he was trying to look to the future, particularly to the 2011 World Cup that will be hosted by India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
"I think it's impossible to get them back," Siddons said of the ICL signees.
"We can't afford to lose that many players on a regular basis. We'll replace these guys with young players but my biggest concern is that the ICL will come knocking again next year.
"We've been looking to build strength ahead of the World Cup in 2011 and that hasn't changed."
Siddons will return to Dhaka on Sunday to prepare for New Zealand's tour of Bangladesh starting next month, comprising two Tests and three one-day internationals.
"All I'll say is we haven't lost one player who was in the team for the last Test," he said.
He had not spoken to any of the players who were moving to the ICL, bankrolled by India's largest listed media company Zee Telefilms, since they retired from Bangladeshi cricket.
"There were a few people with the wrong thing on their mind. The guys who were going are gone and the guys who are staying can get on with the job."
Of the 13 players who have signed with the ICL, seven are contracted to the national team.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) was due to meet at 3 p.m. local time (0900 GMT) Wednesday to discuss whether it would take legal action against the players for breaching International Cricket Council (ICC) rules.
The meeting comes a day after it announced it would not accept the players' retirements.
Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful told leading Bengali language newspaper 'Prothom Alo', in an interview published Tuesday, that he was offered a 700,000-dollar contract to play in the ICL, which he declined.

Link (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gyFgN6nPxB-Tk7SSlbUHU9P8yfGA)

Miraz
September 17, 2008, 06:58 AM
This is the new look Siddons. Bravo coach, he stands tall to defend Bangladesh cricket.

mahbubH
September 17, 2008, 06:59 AM
Good job Ash!!

Sensible comments from the coach.

Ajfar
September 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
well its a start...let's see wat's next...

Murad
September 17, 2008, 08:54 AM
Miraz bhaiyer tone dekhi onek change geche. :-D

MohammedC
September 17, 2008, 08:56 AM

If JS can change anti-Siddons to become Pro-Siddons. Then he can change losers in to winners. Inshallah

Razi
September 17, 2008, 09:07 AM
If JS can change anti-Siddons to become Pro-Siddons. Then he can change losers in to winners. Inshallah

Lets all hope that it happens.:flag:

Beamer
September 17, 2008, 10:06 AM
This is the new look Siddons. Bravo coach, he stands tall to defend Bangladesh cricket.

The power of Miraz has affected him. Hail to Miraz:notworthy:

Tigers_eye
September 17, 2008, 10:13 AM
He wasn't there for a vacation.

Amader shobhab tai kharap. Ager thekey conclusion tani. As if everything is "Bangla Cinema" (which we all know how it ends). Ipcha ipcha, bhishima bhishima, dhishing dhishing. The Hero gets his memory back.
Australian-born Jamie Siddons told AFP via telephone from Brisbane, where he is being treated for a shoulder injury...

akabir77
September 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
Here comes BANFAN with his negative comment on the coach and bd cricket...

Fazal
September 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
$700,000? aai Hai... ICL boro bacha bachshe... they (ICL) just dogded a bullet.

aakdom Panitey jaito...

People never learn for other people's mistake. May be they talked with the wrong people, someone close to BCB. They should have talked with Modamedan instead.

cricket_dorshok
September 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
$700,000? aai Hai... ICL boro bacha bachshe... they (ICL) just dogded a bullet.

aakdom Panitey jaito...

People never learn for other people's mistake. May be they talked with the wrong people, someone close to BCB. They should have talked with Modamedan instead.
Good point. don't you think, the already spent money will not panite jabe! HaBa and Twenty20??? I am sure this Haba team will the worst in the ICL.

Miraz
September 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
Credit should be given where it's due, he said the right words during a major crisis.

And we are in regular contact. We had discussions about the current crisis and hopefully we will be in regular touch in future.

Zeeshan
September 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
*Jealous*

*Goes on to fill out application for bc mod/bc editor*

Tintin
September 17, 2008, 12:21 PM
And we are in regular contact. We had discussions about the current crisis and hopefully we will be in regular touch in future.

I suppose he cannot tell anything that goes against the party line, but do you know if they at least considered making ICL legal ?

wiseshah
September 17, 2008, 12:23 PM
I have a suggestions/opinion: BCB should contract new 25 players and make them sign they will not leave the BD team for next 5 years for any ICL/banned cricket for next 5 years, only then they will be available to sign the contract.

same goes with academy team. they need to sign the contract for next 5 years and must have to play for BD

bujhee kom
September 17, 2008, 12:26 PM
jaak Allah listened to one of my prayers!
mil-mohobbat between miraz bhai and jamie bro was my big concern for a while!
beautiful! Allah Malik!

Tintin
September 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
I have a suggestions/opinion: BCB should contract new 25 players and make them sign they will not leave the BD team for next 5 years for any ICL/banned cricket for next 5 years, only then they will be available to sign the contract.

Such one-sided bonds are almost certainly illegal and would be thrown out in a court.

dash
September 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
JS is finally playing the right cards