PDA

View Full Version : Problem is BCB (& BCCI), not ICL

DJ Sahastra
September 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
ICL is doing exactly what IPL or stanford or any other 20-20 tournament/league will do - make money from cricket and let players make money in the process. The problem is not with ICL but with BCCI that wants to monopolise the game and with that, the earnings. The problem is not with BCCI either - it is doing what is in its interest like any other company will do. The problem is with the regulatory authorities, specifically the ICC - that refuses to show some spine and declare BCCIs ruling of ICL as illegal and unconstitutional. And the problem is with the home-team boards like BCB, PCB etc. that first treat their players shabbily, often like dirt-bags when they are down - and then fall in line with BCCI dictate without as much as a whimper - actually quite aggressively toeing the BCCIs line like a holy grail. BCB must own up it's shame and embarassment instead of the display of machismo and anger.

The problem is not with the players joing ICL either - they have calculated what is in their best interest over a long run based on the information and opportunities available today and have come to a decision in keeping with their calculation. People who have ignored these calculations have often wound up in some shanties where scores of national-team footbal players dwell today - in misery and wilderness.

Monopoly is always bad and here is a prime example. I am actually quite happy for ICL - they survived and are atleast finding new ways to survive while sharing the hopes and revenues with quite a few who have given way too much for the game to be left out in the lurk - Bashar included.

Finally, the overtly jingoistic talks and danda shown by overtly 'patriotic' fans is, even if understandable, quite inappropriate. The so called rebels shunning the national team for a 'rebel' league in lure of money are not being any more selfish than many of us who pursue our personal goals by leaving our countries for studies, jobs etc. It is even more surprising that many of whom have quite proudly and loudly screamed their jingoistic sentiments are the ones who may have left their home country at the first drop of the hat or first available visa. It's ironic - the economic contributions to Dhaka and elsewhere by the expatriates who have been screaming the loudest is no more contributing to your country's economy or purpose or interest than the remittances by these cricketers when they get their crores. Actually, it may come out to be quite less in retrospect.

Tigers_eye
September 17, 2008, 10:50 AM
I agree. Good post. At least they are not doing drugs or murdering people or playing fixed matches. I do support ICL.

However, I also see, not accepting the resignation and the 10 year ban as the only way to stop any more fall outs. Imagine what will happen if Tamim, Mash, Ash goes for $2 Mill next year for only 3 months of work (hypothetically speaking). 10-15 Mill to destory a board, is nothing for a billionaire. Say they spend 20/25 Mill against Pakistan, NZ and WI. ICC will come crawling.

Kabir
September 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Doyal baba pagla garot er theke chara paise...tai cheita gese.

Just kidding. Doyal baba is right...good thread.

Kabir
September 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
However, I also see, not accepting the resignation and the 10 year ban as the only way to stop any more fall outs. Imagine what will happen if Tamim, Mash, Ash goes for $2 Mill next year for only 3 months of work (hypothetically speaking). 10-15 Mill to destory a board, is nothing for a billionaire. Say they spend 20/25 Mill against Pakistan, NZ and WI. ICC will come crawling.

Well, it'll be a long way before that happens. If players run out of supply, BCB will immediately lift the BAN and welcome the ICL players with open arms.

Tintin
September 17, 2008, 11:35 AM
If players run out of supply, BCB will immediately lift the BAN and welcome the ICL players with open arms.

Only if BCCI permits. BCB is far too afraid to realise that their primary duty is to do what is good for Bangladesh cricket.

Rifat
September 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
with all the Recent BS these days, cricket is no longer "fun" as it used to be in the good old days...

ICC trophy '97 will always be a memorable event for Bangladesh

Dhakablues
September 17, 2008, 11:58 AM
with all the Recent BS these days, cricket is no longer "fun" as it used to be in the good old days...

Well said.. now its more about politics, money and legal issues than the game.

Imagine this:

Players go to play the ICL or County league. Play well or bad. Come back when Dhaka League/National team plays. Simple. It is still cricket and more match.

There was no need for this banning. There was no need to resign. There was no need for this bitterness.

bharat
September 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
But DJ is ICC ready to kill the Golden goose !!! ICC gets its major chunk of money from BCCI, if BCCI coffers go empty so does ICC's and the so called 'globalization of cricket'.

So is World cricket ready to grow poorer by sharing the revenue with ICL? ICL might pay a share to the ICC or BCCI, but in the event ICL becomes a major hit (which I doubt) ICC/BCCI/World Cricket cannot survive on the montly payments from the ICL !!

ICC's and BCCI's survival go hand in hand. Stanford League does not threaten both but it would have been promptly banned if it targetted the Indian audience

akabir77
September 17, 2008, 12:41 PM
Its not that easy. I agree that its not fault of ICL but BCCI for Imposing such a ban and hence making it monopoly but in Bangladesh and all the other upcoming nation this has create a bigger problem then it looks and hence the outburst.

1.First please do not compare these players earning more money to people coming abroad for study/job. cause these players where making at least half the amount they will get now on the other hand students/job didn't had any opportunity in the home land (may be a few but most didn't).
2. No one is going to some country for study or job where bangladesh has posed a BAN (no matter what the reason is). But these players knew what they r getting into and still they went
3. If we were in a stage where Indian/pak/SL is then this won't hamper us as much as its doing it now. We have limited resources and it will hurt us more in future then now as some one said what if in 5 years tamim and co joins them too. these players have shown them the path that money is every thing...

Last point we do not support when our athletes gets lost in Olympic for better job/living why? Same reason here we have invested a lot behind most of these players on other hand a nation has spent very very little behind most of the people who came abroad to study or for job

Tintin
September 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
2. No one is going to some country for study or job where bangladesh has posed a BAN (no matter what the reason is).

We are equating "Bangladesh Cricket Board" with "Bangladesh" here. BCB is a semi-official, non-profit entity supposed to look after a bat-and-ball game and those who play it. It is neither equivalent to the country itself, or some organisation dealing with important things like national security.

SS
September 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
Not sure who to blame for this nasty politics, we have to take care ourselves. Can BCB also play politics!!!

akabir77
September 17, 2008, 01:13 PM
We are equating "Bangladesh Cricket Board" with "Bangladesh" here. BCB is a semi-official, non-profit entity supposed to look after a bat-and-ball game and those who play it. It is neither equivalent to the country itself, or some organisation dealing with important things like national security.

Then there is a bigger point there... regular people has to maintain the rules given by their nation but players have to maintain not only the nations rules but also their governing committee(here BCB, ICC)...

reyme
September 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
Very good thread DJ! Exactytly my thoughts.

reyme
September 17, 2008, 01:41 PM
Many fans failed to realize the fact that lot of these players made this decision based on the mis-treatment they received from the BCB officials, management and coach. Surely they did not perform well enough to be included in the in the team. But these are leading players, specially Bashar. He has given a lot and lately he was not treated so nice by coaches and officals. He was often called "old man", "your time is up" etc. He deserves more respect than that. Rafiq left for the same reason. My point is when the players are down both due to performance, mentally, injuries etc. they need more encouragement and support from everybody. Treating them like trash and pointing out the fact that "we have a lot of players in the pipeline" is by no means showing due respect at all. Thats why we dont see a Hayden, Ganguly in our country. The system simply does not allow that. If they call you too old when you are 30 (Pilot etc.), do you really think there is a proper environment in the team for players like Bashar, Rafiq and Pilot?

Wake up guys, dont blame these players without realizing where they are coming from. And lets be little bit less hypocratic, most Bangladeshi will leave the country with the first possible visa to the US. But it does not mean that we are NOT patriotic or betraying our country.

sandpiper
September 17, 2008, 01:49 PM
spot on.
It is even more surprising that many of whom have quite proudly and loudly screamed their jingoistic sentiments are the ones who may have left their home country at the first drop of the hat or first available visa. It's ironic - the economic contributions to Dhaka and elsewhere by the expatriates who have been screaming the loudest is no more contributing to your country's economy or purpose or interest than the remittances by these cricketers when they get their crores. Actually, it may come out to be quite less in retrospect.

thasan
September 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well, it'll be a long way before that happens. If players run out of supply, BCB will immediately lift the BAN and welcome the ICL players with open arms.

i hope that day comes soon...
zee should target srilanka next. :-D
i hate to see bcci with its cowboy attitude.
and thankfully, we came to know the attitude of bcb towards some of our off-form players because of this incident :)

cricket_pagol
September 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
DJ, thanks for opening this threading... I was wondering why no one has already opened a thread about this.

Fazal
September 17, 2008, 03:54 PM
I was wondering why no one has already opened a thread about this.

Because public was soo mad, only a Fresh Pagla from Hematpur like DJ can be so brave and point out the obvious.

And ofcourse only the other pagol can apreciate that.

Baundule
September 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
Great post, DJ. :bravo:

Nafis_BD
September 17, 2008, 11:07 PM

I totally agree with you bhaiya..... I miss the days when there wasn't this much complication and stuff. Don't know when will be the next time we will be able to enjoy cricket like the old times!!

checkmate
September 18, 2008, 02:21 AM
Great Post Dj,Exactly the main issue here,And ICL has done this for their survival,and if successful,they might even go with other boards,Now cricket has a reality check,all boards will be on their toes,to do things right.and i dont think people will just run after ICL for money,coz if u are performing well ,then u have IPL,what will trigger the movement for players to move to these rebel leagues if when their board fail to see them,and even ICL will not pick anyone they would want players who can perform so they can make money.

al Furqaan
September 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
ICL is blameless...so too is the IPL.

the fault lies within BCCI's attempt at hogging all the money, and the BCB for not being better managers and communicators with the team.

hopefully, the rebels will infuse some seriousness in the BCB.

so far things look pretty good. especially given, the disaster i thought we had a few days ago when this news first broke.

scoilaheez
September 18, 2008, 10:25 PM
What can the BCB do, do they have any money? Bangladesh cricket is in trouble, serious trouble unless we get an IPL team soon.

Fazal
September 30, 2008, 09:16 PM
From dailystar...

"I think few of our players joined ICL because of the current selectors carelessness. The atmosphere in the current national team is really not healthy because nobody feels secured now. You can't enjoy the game if you are always scared about your future," he (Pilot) added.