PDA

View Full Version : Fav five: In or Out?

Tigers_eye
October 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dravid
Laxman
Kumble.

Who of them you want in the Indian team and why beyond 2008? Would India be stronger or weaker?

Tigers_eye
October 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
Test team ofcourse. Tour of Pakistan is in January 2009.

"None of them" for me. Keeping future and 2011 in mind.

AsifTheManRahman
October 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
All of them. None of them is dispensable at the moment. The future will come when it does.

Either way, we will be kicking them out of the world cup - 2011 or not.

sbsash
October 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
None of them.

Nocturnal
October 1, 2008, 10:53 PM
None of them

Surfer
October 2, 2008, 12:32 AM
We need to phase them out slowly in tests. In ODIs of course there should be only Tendulkar and none of the rest.

BANFAN
October 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Depends on their performance in this series. If they fail, they are out. If they do well, they are in. This series is their Acid Test. Tendul will remain for some more time even if he fails.

thebest
October 2, 2008, 09:41 AM
@ the moment none of the replacement in batting look impressive. Though Indian media is baying for Dada's blood, it would be unfortunate if he is dropped. In last home series he saved India the series. The one should be axed is Kumble and Dravid if they did not perform this series. I forgot when these two last performed. Though Dravid is showing some sign of return in last innings of SL and subsequent ROI innnings

Zeeshan
October 2, 2008, 11:45 AM
TE bhai the title was little bit misleading.... i thought you were referring to Fab five....

and i agree with most of the responses: none of them,

although putting their age may change my viewpoint

Tigers_eye
October 2, 2008, 12:00 PM
Fav five = Fabulous five = University of Michigan once put five freshmen to start their season (Basketball - all freshman unheard of before that). Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Juwan Haward and others were in the team. They went all the way to the final four and botched up on a dumb single play. From there on the "fav five" phrase got publicised.

India has her own fav five in cricket.
Tendu 35
Laxman 33 (turns 34 in 29 days)
Dada 36 (Just turned 36)
Kumble 37 (turns 38 in 14 days)
Dravid 35 (will turn 36 in 100 days)

Spitfire_x86
October 2, 2008, 12:43 PM
Only Tendulkar and Laxman, unless Dravid/Ganguly/Kumble does really well against Australia and England.

Zeeshan
October 2, 2008, 02:03 PM
Fav five = Fabulous five = University of Michigan once put five freshmen to start their season (Basketball - all freshman unheard of before that). Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Juwan Haward and others were in the team. They went all the way to the final four and botched up on a dumb single play. From there on the "fav five" phrase got publicised.

India has her own fav five in cricket.
Tendu 35
Laxman 33 (turns 34 in 29 days)
Dada 36 (Just turned 36)
Kumble 37 (turns 38 in 14 days)
Dravid 35 (will turn 36 in 100 days)

sorry boss, ami abar bhablam international cricketey bujhi eder

http://www.fab5.org/

abar abirbhaab holo kina....to tai....

jai hok, given the ages:

Laxman may have few years left, but coolness n steady factor weighs in for Dravid. But i would love to see if someone like Tendulkar can prove us all wrong that age is a factor in cricket instead show that as one gets older one can get refined like fine wine too...

kalson
October 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
agree with Surfer

BANFAN
October 2, 2008, 06:03 PM
Two centuries in the first practice match by the youngsters (R.Sharma & V.Kohli), will put more pressure on this Old Five. I agree, Kumble & Dravid should have been out by now, Dada & Laxman has to perform to remain in the team. laxman even has gone out of the team many time after performing so he has to perform more than others I guess. tendul will remain until he himself retires, sellectors & the BCCI, none has the guts to drop him by force. He is a legend.

Sovik
October 3, 2008, 04:36 AM
i don't think India has replacement for any of those players.

Bengaliprince176
October 3, 2008, 09:37 AM
i dont understand why the younger players need to be played in the test team for experience, if the BCCI made first class cricket more competitive, then the seniors would be replaced by better players anyway. Just look at the AUstralians and how there replacements from first class perform to a ahigh level straight away

Surfer
October 4, 2008, 12:56 AM
i dont understand why the younger players need to be played in the test team for experience, if the BCCI made first class cricket more competitive, then the seniors would be replaced by better players anyway. Just look at the AUstralians and how there replacements from first class perform to a ahigh level straight away

Well, no, one has to get a decent amount of international exposure no doubt. Australians are a different case and we should not be drawing parallels with them. I know several batsmen with an excellent fc record who failed miserably at international level.

Bengaliprince176
October 4, 2008, 03:55 AM
Well, no, one has to get a decent amount of international exposure no doubt. Australians are a different case and we should not be drawing parallels with them. I know several batsmen with an excellent fc record who failed miserably at international level.

thats my point exactly! Im guessing your talking about Kambli, Muzumdar and others? As I said if BCCI concentrated on making first class cricket more competitive, it would be better then the current mess that domestic cricket is in India at the moment (though it is good to see that it is gradually changing). However, you are right international exposure is needed, but the exposure can be less daunting if the domestic cricket is improved. My point is that the youngsters are being rushed into the international scene to replace these seniors, under the philosophy that they need the exposure right away. We saw what Rohit Sharma and Kohli did in the current tour match, i dont see why they cannot continue at that stage for another 6months to a year.
Sharma himself noted that this century was due to talks with Kirsten in the SL tour. There is no rush to get these players in, the domestic competition needs to be made more competitive, instead of rushing players into the international scene.

And how are Australians a different case? In terms of talent, ive always said Subcontinent players are up at the top, the only thing against them is the finances, which for BCCI recently should not be a problem with the money they have gathered in the last year. If theres one thing we should learn from Australians, is how they utilise their facilities and how they manage there players.

James90
October 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Tendulkar and Laxman definitely. Probably Dravid as well. Kumble and Ganguly do have a place but can be replaced which could well be in the best interest of Indian cricket's future.

bharat
October 4, 2008, 09:37 AM
Tendulkar and Laxman definitely. Probably Dravid as well. Kumble and Ganguly do have a place but can be replaced which could well be in the best interest of Indian cricket's future.

I agree, and it needs to be done in phases.

I'd say ..start with next 3-4 months

1.Ganguli ...replacements --Rohit/Bhadrinath/Yuvaraj/Kaif
2.Kumble ...replacements --Ohja/Chawla/Amit
3.(maybe) Dravid

I'd say Pak series is the perfect way to start with the replacements. Ganguli/Kumble/Dravid have done a great service to India but we need to move on.These three have been just average to below average for over a year now and I am certain their replacemnts can atleast match up their present performance.

No amount of domestic exposure can match Internation experience(be it the Aussies or India).Both Dravid and Ganguli had little exposure when they brought it.

Take the example of Md Kaif, he never got an extended run because of the Fab 4.I am sure he would have ateast matched Ganguli/Dravid if given a long run.The same with Badrinath.He is around 28 years now !! How long should he wait for the 'Great' players 'decide' to move on.

The same doomsday predictions were made during the Aussie CB series.India put its best ever show !! Even in SL, Ganguli and Dravid looked cluless against Mendis.It was the young guns who bought some parity at the end of the day.Ganguli and Dravid might come up with an one off century or might end up with a 35-40 avg at the end of the series.But is that a cost we need to pay to put a young carrier at stake ?

I know Test is a different ball game, thats why we need do it in phases.But the process has to start !!

BANFAN
October 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
And how are Australians a different case?

Aus has a better first class standard than any other country, that includes India.

Faisal
October 4, 2008, 07:13 PM
none of them

JonBain
October 4, 2008, 08:58 PM
All of them.
They would all be in my squad of 22 for a world team to play against planet Mars

One World
October 6, 2008, 08:22 AM
i don't think India has replacement for any of those players.

Wise wise, very wise.

yaseer
October 7, 2008, 06:06 AM
I want all of them for both ODI and Tests because it will make them weaker :-D

well...
Sachin - Test + ODI
Dravid - Test, tempted to include in the Odis as well, depends on the form
Laxman - Test, nothing to offer in ODI
Kumble - Test only
Ganguly - No, seriously he is now playing as if he wants to just score enough to secure his place in the team, nothing to gain from him.

BD-Shardul
October 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
Dada to retire after this series. Showing path to other favs.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372830.html

WarWolf
October 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
I selected all the options. Ha ha ha...

Any way I want all of them to stay as long as they feel they can continue.