PDA

View Full Version : Post your obscure cricket questions here!

abu2abu
October 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
I have a nerdy question about the rules and thought I'd post it here.

When I bat I have this sort of reverse sweep shot that I play. It's not really a sweep, but I switch the bat to my other hand and put my bottom hand lower down, behind the blade. Does anyone know if this is legal?

Padosan
October 6, 2008, 10:51 AM
legal !

Tigers_eye
October 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
Can you bat with the opposite side of the bat in Intl cricket? (Not the flat side)

Like in Field hockey you can not.

Padosan
October 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
TE, guess he didnt mention about reversing the bat to the wrong side, he just mentioned he will put the hand way below, which i think is legal though i doubt the effectiveness of the shot.

Zeeshan
October 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
TE, guess he didnt mention about reversing the bat to the wrong side, he just mentioned he will put the hand way below, which i think is legal though i doubt the effectiveness of the shot.

no i believe TE was asking another question.

TE any luck in the icc website? i went there but couldnt find the section for batting rules or lbw....

abu2abu
October 7, 2008, 03:12 AM

Ghopal Bhai is right, TE was asking a different question.

I've found the shot fairly effective against slow bowlers. I've used it quite a bit, until last week when some chap told me it was illegal. I doubted him, looked it up but couldn't find anything in the laws prohibiting it. The laws aren't a guide on how to play cricket (they don't tell us how to hold the bat or ball for example) but they just tell us what we can't do.

I guesssed BC members might be able to help...

JonBain
October 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
Totally legal. He's just trying to sledge you. Tell him he's a chucker.

My first ever ball I bowled in a cricket game, came about a yard short of being 6 wides. Has anyone ever heard of 6 wides before?

One World
October 9, 2008, 10:03 PM
How do you differentiate between a Chinaman and a Flipper? (Obscure)

abu2abu
October 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
How do you differentiate between a Chinaman and a Flipper? (Obscure)

Very good question. I'm not even going to pretend to know the answer, but isn't a "chinaman" just a term for a left arm wrist spinner rather than a type of delivery?
I'm not sure, but I'd always thought chinaman meant that...

MohammedC
October 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
How to loose a winning match?

WarWolf
October 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
How much seconds do you have to hold the ball to make it a valid catch?

AsifTheManRahman
October 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
Doesn't matter as long as you are in control of the ball and your body. For example, the catch won't be complete if you grab the ball on the fly and throw it into the ground before recovering to a stable body position.

AsifTheManRahman
October 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
A chinaman is a delivery bowled by a left-armer that spins from the off to the leg of a right-hand batsman. In essence, it's a left arm leg break.

A flipper is a flighted delivery that skids after pitching and stays low on its way to the batsman. It may be very handy in getting lbw's as the batsman may be late in putting his bat down.

AsifTheManRahman
October 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
In case anyone is curious about the physics behind the flipper, the back spin exerted on the ball produces a Magnus effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect) on it. The downward force on the ball leads to a turbulent mass of air beneath it while the air above it is fast and flows smoothly, thereby producing the slow dip that results in the low bounce after pitching.

WarWolf
October 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks ATMR for the answers.

Is there any restrictions for the length of a cricket bat? Any minimum and maximum lengths are set by standards?

( In fact, I think Mushy's bat became too long for him. If possible he needs to use a shorter bat. This will make his life much easiler).

Zeeshan
October 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks ATMR for the answers.

Is there any restrictions for the length of a cricket bat? Any minimum and maximum lengths are set by standards?

( In fact, I think Mushy's bat became too long for him. If possible he needs to use a shorter bat. This will make his life much easiler).

"The rules of the game limit the allowable size for a bat as not more than 38 in (965 mm) long and the blade may not be more than 4.25 in (108 mm) wide. Bats typically weigh from 2 lb 8 oz to 3 lb (1.1 to 1.4 kg) though there is no standard." -wikipedia

What decisions by umpires can a 3rd Umpire/Match referee overturn? And only the captain has the ability to challenge or hear the umpire's decisions right?

One World
October 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your reply ATMR.

Why US is reluctant to adapt cricket though it has all the taste of a classic sports?

Puck
October 11, 2008, 10:53 PM
why doesn't derek pringle get paid a penny from pringle's crisps?

WarWolf
October 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks Gopal Bhar for your answer.

One World
October 12, 2008, 02:16 PM
why doesn't derek pringle get paid a penny from pringle's crisps?

Good perspective but wrong thread to ask. Its the adaptation at large.

abu2abu
October 13, 2008, 07:19 AM
Here's something that's always bothered me (and led to heated arguments with family members):

An offbreak (helpfully known by a variety of other names such as, offspin, left arm orthodox and finger spin) is a ball which turns from the offside to the leg side.

A legbreak (aka, wrist spin, chinaman, leg spin) turns from leg to off.

However, a legbreak is also distinguished from a offbreak because it comes out of the back of the hand (with the spin largely induced by the wrist), whereas as an offbreak comes out of the front of the hand (with the spin induced mainly by the fingers).

In that case, if a ball is bowled out of the back of the hand (that is, with a legbreak action) but actually turns like an offbreak (that is from off to leg) is that delivery still a legbreak? I know many of you will say that's a googly, but what I want to know is does that still make it a legbreak?

Put another way:

What is the defining factor when determining what is offspin and what is leg spin? Is it what direction the ball turns in or whether the ball is delivered with a legbreak or offbreak action? Or is it a curious combination of both?

AsifTheManRahman
October 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
When bowling a leg break, the seam is usually under all of the fingers, i.e. the fingers run over the ball and right before release an anticlockwise spin is exerted that causes the ball to turn from the right to the left (as seen by a right arm leg break bowler) after pitching. During this process, the wrist is usually moved to the left (of a right arm bowler).

A googly is a unique delivery bowled with a similar action, except that the wrist comes down straight. This causes a clockwise spin on the ball, something that can also be achieved by spinning the ball further than a usual leg break right before release with the help of the fingers.

An off break, as you have pointed out, doesn't quite involve the use of the wrist but rather the fingers that exert a clockwise spin on the ball. So to answer your question, a googly is not an off break but rather a special delivery used quite effectively by seasoned leg break bowlers.

Yes, it's a curious combination of both.

abu2abu
October 15, 2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks Bhai. One more question that stems from this. Murali seems to use a lot of wrist in hsi deliveries, yet he is termed an offspinner, why is that? If he uses his fingers to spin the ball, why does he contoort his wrist in such a fashion?

Nocturnal
October 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
found it very interesting: carrom ball
i.e. ajanta mendis

A love for cricket and spinning
Expertise at playing carroms
A Strong Middle Finger!!
Motivation to practice a lot!

Steps

1) The carrom ball is similar to the “Doosra” that Muthiah Muralitharan delivers. It is a delivery normally delivered by an off-break bowler but only it behaves like a leg-break ball. While Murali delivers it by turning the palm of his hand towards himself and by flicking his wrist, Ajantha Mendis delivers it differently.

http://jaanlo.com/files/imagecache/square_100/howto_steps/Mendis-carron-ball-01.jpg (http://jaanlo.com/files/imagecache/rectangle_800/files/howto_steps/Mendis-carron-ball-01.jpg)

2)
The Grip To bowl the Carrom ball that behaves like a Doosra - Hold the ball as show in the picture with the seam facing gully. Place the index finger on the seam and the thumb below the ball. Essentially you’re gripping the ball between your thumb and index finger. Now place your middle finger folder underneath the seam of the ball (similar to how you get ready to srike a carrom with your middle finger), supporting the ball.
http://jaanlo.com/files/imagecache/square_100/howto_steps/Mendis-carron-ball-02.jpg (http://jaanlo.com/files/imagecache/rectangle_800/files/howto_steps/Mendis-carron-ball-02.jpg)

3)
At the time of delivery Push your middle finger out (similar to the strike in caroms) by flicking it quickly. This causes the ball to not only spin like a regular leg-break but also provides it the additional lateral force to skid or shoot through causing further difficulty to the batsman.

4) Bowling other variations By using this concept of flicking your finger (or squeezing the ball out) with other grips you can get a similar spin/shoot combination on an off-break, leg-break, etc.

Tips

Watch videos of Ajantha Mendis in the coming weeks as he is sure to cause a sensation.
Continue to work on strengthening your fingers so that you can continue to deliver the flicking action.
You can also get a very good effect by starting of with a cricket-tennis ball for practice.

Caution
Don’t make the carrom ball your stock ball. Instead use it as a surprise variation to confuse batsmen.

AsifTheManRahman
October 19, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bhai. One more question that stems from this. Murali seems to use a lot of wrist in hsi deliveries, yet he is termed an offspinner, why is that? If he uses his fingers to spin the ball, why does he contoort his wrist in such a fashion?Sorry, didn't notice this before. Murali is really unique; well, I shouldn't say unique because more and more young bowlers are using the wrist as well as the fingers in their bowling these days. The use of the wrist not only offers greater bounce and turn but also enables you to bowl with more variation. In Murali's case, the wrist comes down in the opposite direction to that of a leggie. While traditional definitions have it that leggies use the wrist and offies don't, Murali's action has been up for much debate and my personal conclusion is that we could have a whole new name for his type of bowling: he uses his wrist, but not exactly like a leggie AND he uses his fingers, not like a leggie either.

Obscure, I know.

Zeeshan
October 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
For us newbies, can someone please explain the basics of a pitch?

What is meant by a "flat pitch"? How does it affect a game? What happens when there is dew on the pitch? If it makes ball skid is that "good" or "bad"? How so? What about the cracks? In CI bulletin, it read:

Siddons hoped that his team would be able to catch New Zealand "on the hop" in Dhaka where the pitch "stays low and plays tricks".

What does he mean by that?

Please can anyone help me understand the nuts and bolts of pitch?

Thanks in advance.

AsifTheManRahman
October 21, 2008, 04:28 PM
A flat pitch would have very few hints of grass or cracks on it and would yield relatively even bounce. The ball would come on to the bat pretty nicely, making the track easy to score off.

When there is moisture in the pitch, it makes life difficult for batsmen because the ball doesn't come on to the bat as smoothly as on a track with lower moisture content. As the day goes on, however, the moisture may evaporate, thereby making batting easier. On a fourth day track, it is likely that cracks will form on the surface as the pitch dries out further, enabling spinners to wreak havoc.

When a pitch stays low (e.g. in subcontinental dust bowls), batting once again becomes difficult and bowlers often reap the benefit provided by this phenomenon by bowling wicket to wicket in the hope of getting LBW's in their favor.

A grassy pitch, on the other hand, facilitates fast bowling by offering steep bounce to pacers.

In an international match (or any official match with an official team of umpires), bowlers will be warned if they fail to stray away from the center of the pitch in their follow through as their boots may cause damage to the pitch. Batsmen will get the same treatment for running right through the center.

Zeeshan
October 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much ATMR. If you ever ban yourself by mistake, I'll make sure to vouch for you. Count on me with life! :ninja:

AsifTheManRahman
October 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
Actually, you seem to be the kind of guy who might be interested in my atlami. So in case you were wondering about the physics behind the effect of a moist pitch on swing, what happens here is that when the sun first comes out and the moisture begins to evaporate, the vapor content of the air above the pitch rises for a certain period of time, i.e. before the sun has spent too much time evading the clouds. This leads to increased air pressure above the surface of the pitch, thereby yielding greater swing to bowlers who know how to make use of the conditions.

Zeeshan
October 21, 2008, 07:57 PM
Ami to bangla academy'r dictionary deklam. atlami'r meaning to pai na. :(

anyways, didn't mean my comment to come out the wrong way. but seriously, thanks. :)

AsifTheManRahman
October 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
It didn't come out the wrong way. Atlami = Nerdery. :)

Zeeshan
November 4, 2008, 02:30 PM
Anyone knows any anecdotal incident about the origin of the phrase "How waz that?"

It must've started after application of LB in cricket...but any particular incident?

RazabQ
November 6, 2008, 01:23 AM
Good thread. Can't believe ATMR is beating me in the Atlami dept. I'll have to follow this more clearly.

I'll start off by covering the Murali. Murali's uniqueness comes from the fact that he can straighten his arm (as much as his congenital defect will allow) and then flex his hand to the degree that his palm would touch his forceps. Freaky!

So what it lets him do is bowl finger spin as well as give extra RPMs and that jerk that gives a ball bounce - all without straightening his elbow.

You can test this very easily. Take a tennis ball, hold in an offie grip and hold it with the ball and your palm facing you. Now flick the ball forward and simultaneously impart finger spin. What you'll notice is that depending on how you flick it or the angle, you'll get very sharp turn and bounce in a direction opposite to the direction you expect. Try the same with a leggie grip and bam you now know how to do the pehla and doosra ala Murali.

Of course this is with you liberally straightening your elbow. Now try doing in a bowling fashion from above your shoulder and you'll find it well nigh impossible to do so without chucking.

mac
November 16, 2008, 02:21 PM
Nice thread vaias..apnader atlami theke onek kichu sikhte parlam. Now its time to apply and see how effective i can be.

nobody
November 17, 2008, 04:35 AM
A batsman hit a ball and it just sail over the boundary. A fielder X crosses the rope and throws the ball back. At the time he was throwing he did not have control over the ball. Fielder Y caught the ball inside the boundary. Now my question:
1. would it be an out (as the fielder, B who caught the ball did not crossed the boundary ) or
2. is it a six ( as fielder A cross the boundary to throw it back)

Baundule
November 17, 2008, 04:55 AM
A batsman hit a ball and it just sail over the boundary. A fielder X crosses the rope and throws the ball back. At the time he was throwing he did not have control over the ball. Fielder Y caught the ball inside the boundary. Now my question:
1. would it be an out (as the fielder, Y who caught the ball did not crossed the boundary ) or
2. is it a six ( as fielder X cross the boundary to throw it back)

If the fielder X had already crossed the boundary, meaning if any part of his body was 'in contact' with outside the boundary when the ball was still in his hand (or in contact), then it is already a 6 before the 2nd fielder gets any chance.

Now, if the first fielder was inside the boundary when he contacted the ball and got outside only after throwing the ball, then it will be a catch attributed to the second fielder.

There is a difference here between the laws of football and cricket. In football, it is considered a goal if the ball crossed the goal line even in the air; but in cricket it is based on contact. So, if a fielder stays inside the boundary and catches a ball that flew in the air just outside the boundary, it will still be considered a catch.

nobody
November 18, 2008, 04:54 AM
If the fielder X had already crossed the boundary, meaning if any part of his body was 'in contact' with outside the boundary when the ball was still in his hand (or in contact), then it is already a 6 before the 2nd fielder gets any chance.

Now, if the first fielder was inside the boundary when he contacted the ball and got outside only after throwing the ball, then it will be a catch attributed to the second fielder.

There is a difference here between the laws of football and cricket. In football, it is considered a goal if the ball crossed the goal line even in the air; but in cricket it is based on contact. So, if a fielder stays inside the boundary and catches a ball that flew in the air just outside the boundary, it will still be considered a catch.
Thanks

abu2abu
December 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
As I understand it a full toss becomes a no-ball when it reaches the batsman (without bouncing of course) at above waist height (for a fast bowler) or shoulder height for a slow bowler.

My question is: if a ball is bowled above waist height (by a quick) but hits the stumps, is it a no ball or is it out?

RazabQ
December 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
Once a no-ball, always a no-ball so if a full toss is called a No by umpire due to passing higher than his waist, then hitting the stumps won't matter a whit!

Dhruvo
January 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
What does "playing against the spin " really mean ? I really get confused with that one.

RazabQ
January 14, 2009, 06:39 PM
Every spinner is giving RPMs in a certain direction right? If you are a RHB the offie is spinning towards you - so if you were to play a sweep shot, you are playing "with the spin". This implies your chances of a top edge are reduced. Now if you tried to play a reverse sweep shot instead, you would be playing "against the spin", i.e. against the direction the ball was heading anyways because of the spin.

roaring tigerz
January 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
Why does the ball swing more when there are more overhead clouds?

CholCholBD
January 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
Does strength really matter that much in batting...ofcourse it helps to be more powerful...but is it a necessary skill to be a good batsman...or can skill and technique compensate for the lack of power?

In other words, is being scrawny a handicap or it really doesnt matter?

Im leaning towards the latter since most asian batsmen dont have much muscle definition to start with, but when u see the likes of australian muscle men, it really begs the question///:hairpull:

RazabQ
January 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
cholcholbd - cricket is leaning more towards the power game where muscle/brawn and wing span are becoming the dominant traits. Do a search on some of my posts on this topic - prolly on 20/20 threads. Essentially now anyone with decent hand eye coord and oodles of power can become a succesfull batter what with boundaries shorter and bats so well made that even mishits go for 6. There is still probably a place for those with exquisite timing - a Gower, Ganguly - but they are rarer.

RazabQ
January 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
roaring tigerz - do a search for a thread created by Arnab. It's got the whole scientific theory behind swing.

Zeeshan
January 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
Are there any gay cricket players?

karimjay.
January 20, 2009, 02:10 AM
Are there any gay cricket players?
lol i wondered that before.

my gaydar says these people are possibilities:

ryder
harris
malinga
plunkett
vaughan

Zeeshan
January 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
lmfao.
++++++

I always wondered how has cricket evolved over the years. Can someone please evaluate it for me? For instance, before the age of seam bowling, bowlers like Waqar, Akram, Akib Javed used to go straight for the stumps. In addition to it, nowadays, thanks to my anari intution it seems South Africans compiled a strategy on pouncing upon the technicalities of LBW and to some extent (also to my great delight), recently Bangladesh has marvelously capitlized on it.

As for batting, I am truly clueless. Are there new positions that has been forced to evolve due to innovative shot selections of batsmen? And what about bat? Now we will see double sided bat. Also, when was the advent of three or four slips? And I am sure spin bowling hasn't been around forever which forced to introduce silly point...

I'd love to see someone writing a cool article on evolution of cricket and especially what the future holds for it.

Thanks. :)

Rommel
January 22, 2009, 07:59 PM
What is your favorite type of shot to play against spin? Mine is the sweep shot. I feel like Shakib!

Rommel
January 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
Oh I have one more question. Does anyone know anyway to practice playing a shot down to 3rd man? Whenever I try it, I either get an edge or miss the ball completely. Also how do you play the "Ash" shot. Its so hard!!!

sandpiper
January 22, 2009, 08:30 PM
Stop playing cricket and try baseball. Its much easier.
Oh I have one more question. Does anyone know anyway to practice playing a shot down to 3rd man? Whenever I try it, I either get an edge or miss the ball completely. Also how do you play the "Ash" shot. Its so hard!!!

Rommel
January 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Stop playing cricket and try baseball. Its much easier.

Thank you sir for answering my question completely.

Btw, I play both Baseball and cricket.

Zeeshan
January 22, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you sir for answering my question completely.

Btw, I play both Baseball and cricket.

Well, then stop playing Baseball and cricket, and start studying.

(Landscape designer's salary > Cricketer's salary) < (Plumber's salary)

Rommel
January 22, 2009, 09:36 PM
Well, then stop playing Baseball and cricket, and start studying.

(Landscape designer's salary > Cricketer's salary) < (Plumber's salary)

lol I plan on being one of those inhouse lawyers that work for a corporation. They have flexible hours and an entry level(straight out of college) salary starts at $70,000 a year!

AsifTheManRahman
January 22, 2009, 10:44 PM
Oh I have one more question. Does anyone know anyway to practice playing a shot down to 3rd man? Whenever I try it, I either get an edge or miss the ball completely.
Just wait for it. Keep your eyes on it ALL the time and play it when it's passing the crease; also, make sure to angle your bat so that you can carve it behind the wicket. Oh and KEEP IT DOWN!

Also how do you play the "Ash" shot. Its so hard!!!Don't play the Ash shot. If you need an idol, look at how Duminy plays his cricket.

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Okay, I played cricket yesterday and bowled fast and now my back is hurting really bad, I think it has to do something with my action. I think its a mixed action rather than a side-on or the front-on action. I am not really very clear about side-ons and front-ons, can someone please explan how exactly side-on bowlers bowl ?

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Every spinner is giving RPMs in a certain direction right? If you are a RHB the offie is spinning towards you - so if you were to play a sweep shot, you are playing "with the spin". This implies your chances of a top edge are reduced. Now if you tried to play a reverse sweep shot instead, you would be playing "against the spin", i.e. against the direction the ball was heading anyways because of the spin.
Ohh, thanks RazzabQ bhaiya.

sbsash
March 16, 2009, 07:14 PM
Okay, I played cricket yesterday and bowled fast and now my back is hurting really bad.

that used to happen to me when I did fast balls.Usually I don't do many fast balls now.I do medium pace.

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
that used to happen to me when I did fast balls.Usually I don't do many fast balls now.I do medium pace.
Yes, but the problem didnt happen before . It happened soon after I changed by bowling action slightly (my older one was alot more accurate but slower, but I prefer faster and more movement than deadly accuracy)

sbsash
March 16, 2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, but the problem didnt happen before . It happened soon after I changed by bowling action slightly (my older one was alot more accurate but slower, but I prefer faster and more movement than deadly accuracy as accuracy most of the times )

Which player's fast bowliing does your's look like?

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
Which player's fast bowliing does your's look like?
It kinda looks like Bret lee's.

sbsash
March 16, 2009, 07:58 PM
mine looks like Shahdat Hossain's.Same way of running,same way of swinging the arm,same face before releasing the ball.

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
mine looks like Shahdat Hossain's.Same way of running,same way of swinging the arm,same face before releasing the ball.
Lol, dont tell me you bowl the same bouncers too....

sbsash
March 16, 2009, 08:02 PM
Lol, dont tell me you bowl the same bouncers too....

noI don't do bouncers.I bowl at full mostly but sometimes middle.And thats only for fast bowling.

Dhruvo
March 16, 2009, 08:15 PM
noI don't do bouncers.I bowl at full mostly but sometimes middle.And thats only for fast bowling.
I see, I generally bowl at the Good Length and use Bouncers and yorkers as surprises with a touch of swing. Anyways back to the real problem, can anyone please explain side-on bowling to me ?

RazabQ
March 16, 2009, 11:35 PM
Dhrubo, youtube Imran Khan and Flintoff bowling. Imran had the classical side on action. So did Kapil. Flintoff, Aqib Javed, Mako have chest on action. Try and see which one yours is most similar to.

Neel Here
March 17, 2009, 05:09 AM

there are two points, if the ball is pitched up you should NEVER play the steer shot(that's its name) unless the ball is pitched up AND wide (as a steer off an uppish delivery is very difficult to control.)

even then there is a considerable element of risk involved.

play the steer ONLY if the ball is pitched at the three quarter length or shorter.
the way to control the shot is to lean on your backfoot so that your weight is effectively on your backfoot and connect with the ball as it crosses your backfoot.
that should give you a reasonable amount of control.

cheers !

Neel Here
March 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Does strength really matter that much in batting...ofcourse it helps to be more powerful...but is it a necessary skill to be a good batsman...or can skill and technique compensate for the lack of power?

In other words, is being scrawny a handicap or it really doesnt matter?

Im leaning towards the latter since most asian batsmen dont have much muscle definition to start with, but when u see the likes of australian muscle men, it really begs the question///:hairpull:
physique is good but not necessary, there are ways to generate powerful shots even if you aren't strong as a bull !
I remember the SA vs BD match in the T20 WC, the itsy bitsy BD players were literally exploding in the middle although not for long !
there is one part of the body that absolutely has to be strong to be a batsman, and those are the wrists. if the wrists aren't strong there's little that can be done for a player.
to check your wrtist strength, try holding the bat you use with your bottomhand at the extreme end of the handle, are you comfortable moving it around ?

RazabQ
March 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Neel Here - welcome. Good posts!

AsifTheManRahman
March 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
I see, I generally bowl at the Good Length and use Bouncers and yorkers as surprises with a touch of swing. Anyways back to the real problem, can anyone please explain side-on bowling to me ?In addition to what Razab bhai has said:

Another thing to note is his relatively open chested action, something that negates the amount of pace and away swing that he is able to generate. It could help him generate a fair bit of in-swing, but since that doesn't seem to be one of his goals, he is losing out on the added pace and kick off the pitch that a more side on, high release action would have to offer.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=553944&postcount=80

Neel Here
March 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
thank for the welcome Razab.

Tigers_eye
March 18, 2009, 09:46 AM

Dear Atels,
This needs more explanation. The Fielder X can easily jump from inside the ground (without toucing the ropes) in the air (now he is floating in the air, his momentum has taken him outside the ground) and knocks the ball back inside in to another fielder Y's hand. While knocking the ball back, the ball clearly outside the ropes but in the air. Now would that be a catch? I say "yes", why not?

Like how a basketball player jumps in the air close to sidelines and knocks the ball back in to play and that is a live ball. His momentum would take him to the scorers table or in the laps of the cheerleaders ( I put the last sentence to make some atel visualize the scenario and smile).

Baundule
March 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Dear Atels,
This needs more explanation. The Fielder X can easily jump from inside the ground (without toucing the ropes) in the air (now he is floating in the air, his momentum has taken him outside the ground) and knocks the ball back inside in to another fielder Y's hand. While knocking the ball back, the ball clearly outside the ropes but in the air. Now would that be a catch? I say "yes", why not?

TE bhai, it's all the 'contact' theory. Here is a video example ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWO5MO8z4ks</EMBED>

Tigers_eye
March 18, 2009, 12:02 PM

Awesome video; Thank you. Yup while throwing the ball in the air his hands clearly went out side the ropes but he was not in contact with the ropes or out of bound ground. Great job Adam. Thinking in his feet.

Zeeshan
March 18, 2009, 01:18 PM

Haha check out the umbrella field under the related category. :=)

Zeeshan
March 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
Going to FTP has finally making my low Cricket IQ epigeal. There it states that overcast weather may favor seam bowlers. Anyone mind explaining why is that the case? Where is the connection? Thnx.

RazabQ
March 28, 2009, 01:40 AM
Gopal do a search for a thread opened by Arnab where we discussed this. It has to do with cloud cover, humidity, air pressure, etc.

Zeeshan
March 28, 2009, 10:19 AM
Fruitless...rojobda. Couldnt find it. :(

ammark
March 28, 2009, 11:19 AM
ON reverse swing, see article (http://www.banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=347) by chinaman and the discussion thread (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=2029) accompanying it.

Here's Arnab's reservoir thread of articles on cricket's technical issues (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=10420) thread. See page 2 (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=10420&page=2) for swing.

Zeeshan
March 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thnx...Amar-da...much appreciated. the reservoir of articles is an artesian spring for me just like a dying camelthorn's one in desert.

Zeeshan
April 26, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hello again!

What's the maximum strike rate possible by a batsman? 600%? 6 runs out of 1 ball, or is there anything higher than that? If it's a no-ball, can the SR be infinity?

Purbasha T
April 26, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hello again!

What's the maximum strike rate possible by a batsman? 600%? 6 runs out of 1 ball, or is there anything higher than that? If it's a no-ball, can the SR be infinity?

Nope, it can't be infinity. Bcoz when the SR is calculated, total runs made are divided by the number of many balls played (legitimate or non-legitimate). So if it's a SIX of a no-ball, the SR is still 600%. ;)

karimjay.
April 26, 2009, 08:45 AM
what muscles or parts of your body help you bowl fast? what can i do to increase my speed?

i'm fairly well built (179cms/68 kgs; slim-semi muscular, seventeen years old). take that into account.

i think if i compared my current speed to everyone my age, i'd be in the top 70%. but i have never been speed-gunned, so i don't know details.

Ashfaq
April 26, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hello again!

Well, suppose a batsman stroke the ball along the ground and ran x runs,(X being any integer.) and than got 5 overthrows. So his strike rate would be 6(x+5)%.

In the history of cricket, sometimes morethan 50 runs has been scored off one ball. Once, the batsman stroke the ball in to a near by treetop. Untill a fielder brought a shptgun and shot the ball down, the batsmen ran and collected 50+ runs. About that time, rules for lost ball was penned. So now if the ball is lost, the batsman will get 6 runs.

Neel Here
April 26, 2009, 10:45 AM
well known incident, the batsman was CB Fry. he scored 66 by running.
http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/12930.html

akabir77
May 14, 2009, 09:19 PM
not a very obscure question
But i have a cricket related question.
whats the rule on wide if a batsman chase down a wide ball but misses the flight and balls goes over his hand or handle of the bat. is it still a wide?

akabir77
May 14, 2009, 09:42 PM
1. Judging a Wide
(a) If the bowler bowls a ball, not being a No ball, the umpire shall adjudge it a Wide if, according to the definition in (b) below, in his opinion the ball passes wide of the striker where he is standing and would also have passed wide of him standing in a normal guard position. (b) The ball will be considered as passing wide of the striker unless it is sufficiently within his reach for him to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.
2. Delivery not a Wide
The umpire shall not adjudge a delivery as being a Wide
(a) if the striker, by moving,
either (i) causes the ball to pass wide of him, as defined in 1(b) above
or (ii) brings the ball sufficiently within his reach to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.
(b) if the ball touches the striker's bat or person.

http://www.rulescricket.co.uk/law25.htm

according to this it won't be a wide ball am I right?

Zeeshan
June 14, 2009, 08:01 PM
how come they dont do taking the guard anymore? at least not in T20s? and what IS taking the guard anyways? how is it related to lbw..or is it?

AsifTheManRahman
June 14, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure they still take guard, even in T20s. How can one bat if (s)he doesn't?

Most batsmen will take a leg-stump guard, i.e. have their feet planted outside the leg stump with the bat guarding it. Helps avoid lbw's. A middle-stump guard is not unheard of but very rare. An off-stump guard is foolish and suicidal.

AsifTheManRahman
June 14, 2009, 10:28 PM
not a very obscure question
But i have a cricket related question.
whats the rule on wide if a batsman chase down a wide ball but misses the flight and balls goes over his hand or handle of the bat. is it still a wide?
Nope.

AsifTheManRahman
June 14, 2009, 10:32 PM
well known incident, the batsman was CB Fry. he scored 66 by running.
http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/12930.html
There have been occasions when batsmen have run more than that. There was this one time that the ball was hit to the top of a mountain that was home to a lion. 80 runs later, one of the fielders had had enough and drew up the courage to climb up and get the ball back.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the article. I also remember reading about instances of > 100 runs in a single delivery.

Zeeshan
June 14, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure they still take guard, even in T20s. How can one bat if (s)he doesn't?

Most batsmen will take a leg-stump guard, i.e. have their feet planted outside the leg stump with the bat guarding it. Helps avoid lbw's. A middle-stump guard is not unheard of but very rare. An off-stump guard is foolish and suicidal.

Nope.

There have been occasions when batsmen have run more than that. There was this one time that the ball was hit to the top of a mountain that was home to a lion. 80 runs later, one of the fielders had had enough and drew up the courage to climb up and get the ball back.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the article. I also remember reading about instances of > 100 runs in a single delivery.

Asif bhai on fire!

akabir77
June 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
Nope.

nope maney?

RazabQ
June 15, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hate to rain on ATMR's parade but in T20, batsmen are known to take off-stump guard. I believe Shaun Marsh credited that to his success in IPL 1.0. Also, batters have been known to do something similar against big offies such as Murali - hence his recent tactic of going round the wicket to right-handers ...

Ammar, how did you find the Arnab thread? I suck at using our search ...

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hate to rain on ATMR's parade but in T20, batsmen are known to take off-stump guard. I believe Shaun Marsh credited that to his success in IPL 1.0. Interesting. I obviously haven't watched enough T20s :)

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
nope maney?
No wide.

Baundule
June 16, 2009, 07:00 AM
what muscles or parts of your body help you bowl fast? what can i do to increase my speed?

i'm fairly well built (179cms/68 kgs; slim-semi muscular, seventeen years old). take that into account.

i think if i compared my current speed to everyone my age, i'd be in the top 70%. but i have never been speed-gunned, so i don't know details.
Usually, you need a strong shoulder, if you have a short run up. Some people gain speed from their run up, too. For sharp rising delivery, you need a strong wrist. Speed also depends on your bowling action. Some people (e.g. Imran khan) gain speed with a sharp jump just before the delivery. And never get fat, if you want to be a fast bowler. With your height, 68 kg is OK; but considering your age, you need to be careful so that it does not goes worse.

Another thing for fast bowlers, you need to be mentally strong and should have the killer attitude.

akabir77
June 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
No wide.

i had a big fight with 3 indians and 3 bd people after not giving such wide... lol..

Imteaz
June 25, 2009, 01:24 AM
Usually, you need a strong shoulder, if you have a short run up. Some people gain speed from their run up, too. For sharp rising delivery, you need a strong wrist. Speed also depends on your bowling action. Some people (e.g. Imran khan) gain speed with a sharp jump just before the delivery. And never get fat, if you want to be a fast bowler. With your height, 68 kg is OK; but considering your age, you need to be careful so that it does not goes worse.

Another thing for fast bowlers, you need to be mentally strong and should have the killer attitude.

1. You need to have good food habit (Meat, Egg and Milk)
2. You need to have special exercise for back muscle (The muscle with backbone)

Baundule
June 25, 2009, 04:06 AM
1. You need to have good food habit (Meat, Egg and Milk)
2. You need to have special exercise for back muscle (The muscle with backbone)
Spot on.
However, I would suggest to discard eggs from the list of good food. Meat gives you strength and Milk is very good for stamina. For a sound health, vegetables are also must, though they will not directly make you strong.

Zeeshan
June 25, 2009, 09:10 AM
How many players got hit in the nuts so far?

RazabQ
June 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
everyone ... it's a right of passage

AsifTheManRahman
June 25, 2009, 10:29 AM
If you haven't you haven't played cricket.

Zeeshan
June 25, 2009, 12:11 PM
everyone ... it's a right of passage

If you haven't you haven't played cricket.

Your sagacity speaks for itself.

Zeeshan
August 4, 2009, 01:15 AM
Okay...how does a curator "prepare" a pitch? What are the limitations and how does the preparation gives more bounce or turn?

And how come the curator in Windies tour couldn't put up a favorable pitch for the hosts? Why did it backfire?

Asif vai...

Action!

Eshen
August 4, 2009, 01:46 AM
GB, not claiming I know anything about pitch preparation, but here is a long article from CI if you are interested to read -

http://www.uk.cricket.org/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/PITCHES/PREP_OF_PITCHES.html

This wiki links also not bad for general info on cricket pitches -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_pitch

Zeeshan
August 4, 2009, 01:49 AM
Invaluable links Eshen.

Thanks. :-)

Eshen
August 4, 2009, 02:32 AM
As far as second Test in WI goes, my theory is that the curator should have left the grass on the pitch lightly rolled. That would have negated our spinners from finding good turns from the pitch and would have helped seam bowlers like Sammy better. May be he heavy rolled to ensure more bounce from the pitch but at the end that helped our spinners better.

Imteaz
August 4, 2009, 02:36 AM
Boomerang :)

magic boy
August 4, 2009, 04:01 AM
why there is brick built wall as signal of boundary in Lords Cricket ground, England !?
:p

Imteaz
August 4, 2009, 05:07 AM
why there is brick built wall as signal of boundary in Lords Cricket ground, England !?
:p

Wild Guess.

To keep the tradition?

Eshen
August 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
Here is a study done by ECB on rolling pitches.

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/sas/naturalresources/research/projects/rolling.jsp?id=redirect

magic boy
August 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
^thats really informative and interesting...

WI4EVER
August 10, 2009, 08:30 PM
What does "playing against the spin " really mean ? I really get confused with that one.

Pretend you're a right hander.

Playing against the spin means you're playing away from your body to a ball that turns into your body, so if you're a right hander it would be like cover driving the off break.

Dhruvo
August 10, 2009, 09:26 PM

Playing against the spin means you're playing away from your body to a ball that turns into your body, so if you're a right hander it would be like cover driving the off break.
Oh :) thanks bro.

Another question, whats the difference between Fast mediums and Medium Fast ? are they the same thing ?

Zeeshan
August 10, 2009, 09:39 PM
Just curious, has there ever been stumping off any pacer in international matches?

AsifTheManRahman
August 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
Dhrubo, fast medium is faster than medium fast. In descending order of pace, you have fast, fast medium, medium fast, medium and so on.

Dhruvo
August 11, 2009, 12:39 AM
Dhrubo, fast medium is faster than medium fast. In descending order of pace, you have fast, fast medium, medium fast, medium and so on.
Oh, I used to think medium fast is faster...Thanks for clearing that up.

RazabQ
August 11, 2009, 02:21 AM
GB, stumping off pacers happen all the time - as long as the pacer is medium fast or slower. Apparently Chris Read of England is particularly adept at this. Typically a keeper will stand up to stumps of a pacer if it is seen that the batsman is consistently batting outside the crease (to negate swing, disrupt length or make length balls drivable)

Tintin
August 11, 2009, 03:11 AM

The reverse is also playing against the spin - ie, hitting a leg break to the leg side.

Tintin
August 11, 2009, 04:22 AM
Just curious, has there ever been stumping off any pacer in international matches?

Jones st Russell b Small

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4224856524803386869

bangla-red
August 11, 2009, 05:26 AM
A stumping can happen when the keeper is standing back (bat walks out of crease, keeper throws it)

WI4EVER
August 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
The reverse is also playing against the spin - ie, hitting a leg break to the leg side.

Yeah, I was always taught not to play against the spin, but i see no harm once you get to the pitch.

WI4EVER
August 11, 2009, 11:47 AM
Oh :) thanks bro.

Another question, whats the difference between Fast mediums and Medium Fast ? are they the same thing ?

Just think of it as this:

Fast is genuine quickness
Fast-Medium is an average Pace Bowler
Medium-Fast is a quicker medium pacer
Medium is an average medium pacer

Fast Medium is quicker, there is alot of debate over fast medium, medium fast, etc. But here is my theory:

Fast: 88mph+ (eg: Brett Lee)
Fast Medium: 83mph-88mph (eg: Mashrafe Mortaza)
Medium Fast: 75mph-83mph (Dwayne Bravo, Dimitri Mascarenhas)
Medium: Anything from about 65mph-75mph (Syed Rasel, Paul Collingwood)

There is such thing as medium slow and levels below that, but they are rare in international cricket, and when most people drop their pace below 60mph, they chose to bowl spin.

Tigers_eye
August 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
A stumping can happen when the keeper is standing back (bat walks out of crease, keeper throws it)
I think they call those as runouts.

WI4EVER
August 11, 2009, 02:18 PM
I think they call those as runouts.

It counts as a stumping as long as both batsmen weren't attempting a run. You can check me on this though, I'm not 100% sure.

bangla-red
August 12, 2009, 04:39 AM
Nearly happened in the last AShes Test - Manou missed the stumps.

Zeeshan
May 11, 2011, 11:37 PM
Okay Shahadat just got his 4th...and it's prompting me to ask:

Why does one bowler do so well in Tests but not in ODI? Is it purely the fitness level? What am I missing? Please someone elaborate on why a bowler can be excellent Test bowler but not duplicate same feat in ODI.

Thanks. =)

Dilscoop
May 12, 2011, 12:19 AM
^ to add to that, why is it easier to explain the batsmen's reason.We all know this > "Some batsmen are more attacking, and aggressive and better for ODI, T20s than Tests (But guys like Gayle, Shewag, Hayden can handle all). It's easier to explain the reason for the batsmen. But for bowlers are ... :confused: sorry I even bothered

Banglaguy
May 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Not to be offensive... But why are Sri Lankan players ugly?

RazabQ
May 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
@Banglaguy - sez who? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Banglaguy
May 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
Sez me ;). And most people in England.... And the eye of the beholder could possibly be blind.

avibaba
July 14, 2011, 01:18 AM
which team is the best now days in cricket????????
and i think india surely deserves this credit of the best team because of their dominance in the baatle field of cricket frm last two years.But india is getting tuff competition from the countries like england and sri lanka as well .....

Zeeshan
July 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
which team is the best now days in cricket????????
and i think india surely deserves this credit of the best team because of their dominance in the baatle field of cricket frm last two years.But india is getting tuff competition from the countries like england and sri lanka as well .....

Dear spam artist

If india is so good how come they never beat south sudan?

Banglaguy
July 14, 2011, 06:21 AM
Because South Sudan refused to invite them until 2020?

Zeeshan
December 5, 2011, 08:01 PM
Has there been any bowler that drastically changed from spinner to pacer or vice versa?

MohammedC
December 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
Has there been any bowler that drastically changed from spinner to pacer or vice versa?

Many have changed from Seam to Spin (I am saying seam as I dont know how fast they bowled)

Seam to Spin

Ashley Giles
Mohammad Rafiq

Spin to Seam

?????? Nasir almost became Spinner to Seamer

People who bowled both

Andrew Symonds
Tendulkar

Tintin
December 5, 2011, 08:12 PM

There are those who can bowl both (Garry Sobers, Karsan Ghavri) and those who do it occasionally (Kumble bowled seam up in a Test against Pakistan in 2007 and took five wickets, Kapil Dev bowled some spin at Sydney 1991/2 when the wicket was very favourable to spin).

But one I can remember from recent times who abruptly and completely changed from one to the other is Shane Thomson of New Zealand in the early 1990s. He started off as a medium pacer (in his first over in ODIs, he took the wickets of Azharuddin and Tendulkar, it was the second ODI of Tendulkar). Then took a break because of some back problems and came back as a pure off spinner.

Zeeshan
February 1, 2012, 03:09 AM
Who has the most number of runs in all formats incl. List A and First class combined?

Zeeshan
February 1, 2012, 03:11 AM
Any hat-tricks in T20?

RazabQ
February 1, 2012, 04:25 AM
Colin "funky" Miller bowled spin after starting out as a pacer and was a regular in the Aussie side for a stretch. During that stretch he would also bowl pace based on conditions. Johan Botha was a pacer first. Our own Mohammed Rafique used to be a pacer in the Dhaka Premiere League which means he made the grade through all the ranks as a pacer. It was some international cricketer's suggestion that made him switch to spin. That's why he was quick through the air. Apparently Riyadh was a pacer to but I have not been able to substantiate that. Last but certainly not least, India's ratna and our not-so-much-treasure, Tendu and Ash can both bowl mixes of leggie, offie and seam up and Mash bowled off-break in a few matches when injured.

Dilscoop
May 4, 2012, 04:59 PM
Why is it that almost every team, through out the history has had an explosive, beast opening batsman and his partners were always a [I]mora[/ batsmen? Except Hayden-Gilly, Ganguly-Sachin, and who else?

I understand some teams prefer an attacking+balanced combo. But I'm not talking about balanced guys (e.g Gambhir, Watson), talking about Bhimruls. Is it that hard to find 2 good opening batsmen at once?

Zunaid
May 4, 2012, 07:11 PM
There are many examples to the contrary in modern era - how can you forget Boon and Marsh so quickly? Or the Windiest and Lankan pairs from the 80s and 90s respectively.