PDA

View Full Version : Sourav Ganguly Retires from International Cricket!

Trigger_Tiger
October 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Australia in India 2008-09

Ganguly to retire after Australia Tests
Cricinfo staff
October 7, 2008

Sourav Ganguly has said he will retire after the upcoming test series against australia. His statement, a moment of unscripted drama at the end of a routine press conference in bangalore, ends widespread speculation over his future.

"just one last thing lads, before i leave, i just want to say that this is going to be my last series," ganguly said after taking the last question of his press conference. "i've decided to quit. I told my team-mates before coming here. These four test matches are going to be my last and hopefully we'll go on a winning note."

Read full here (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372830.html).

Trigger_Tiger
October 7, 2008, 09:50 AM
I will miss this guy sooooooooooooooooo much! Such pure class! Incomparable forever!

Murad
October 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
Good decision. Best time to retire from International cricket.

Trigger_Tiger
October 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
Good decision. Best time to retire from International cricket.

True! He will hopefully perform strongly in this series and go out with a bang. The prince will leave his mark :notworthy:!

Tigers_eye
October 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
Did he just say few days back that he still has 2/3 years left in him? I guess the the Board pressure is getting to him.

IPL will pay him well.

thebest
October 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
Good Luck the best Bengali Test Cricketer. I was never your fan but surely you was a true Royal Bengal Tiger.

Rabz
October 7, 2008, 12:45 PM
Never a big fan, but a great player nonetheless.
Makes me proud that the most successful indian captain is a Bangalee.
Well done Saurov.
Walk with your head held high.

BANFAN
October 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
The declration was amazingly casual !!

infact he finished the Press Conf & then turned back and said, oh one more thing I want to tell you that, this is my last series. As if it meant nothing to him. Calm and smiling. Kool

I always liked him. May be I was biased as a Bangalee, let it be if some one thinks so. Infact I allowed that biasness myself & their was some pleasure in that biasness. I had to feel proud of his achievement & that biasness was my return to him as a fan. Weldone Saurav.

AsifTheManRahman
November 6, 2008, 02:08 PM
A tremendous piece on Ganguly, accurate to the last ASCII character: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/377000.html

If there was anyone who knew how to stand up to the Aussies, it was him. The Dhonis and Bhajis of today are door knobs in comparison. I hope he can end it with a test century at home, against the best of oppositions that the world has to offer.

bharat
November 6, 2008, 02:34 PM
Ganguli might be playing his last innings today ! For all you Ganguli fans out their, dont miss it.

I will not be missing his innings today for anything.Even if it means soar eyes tomm. at office.

Hats off to the Prince.A well timed retirement on a high fits his stature

auntu
November 6, 2008, 02:46 PM
[বাংলা]সৌরভের সৌরভ আরো কিছু দিন পেতে পারতাম। কিন্তু হায় ![/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
November 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
A tremendous piece on Ganguly, accurate to the last ASCII character: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/377000.html

If there was anyone who knew how to stand up to the Aussies, it was him. The Dhonis and Bhajis of today are door knobs in comparison. I hope he can end it with a test century at home, against the best of oppositions that the world has to offer.
In front of Ganguly, McCain would be seen as the one who talks crooked (Straight talker). He called a spade a spade. Few years back when he was the captain and India went to visit Pakistan after a long time,

At the airport, he was asked about the goodwill of the tour after so many years and the rivalry. They answer was in line of,

We are here to win a series, all that goodwill stuff is bull sh!t.

Nocturnal
November 6, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of Dada but surely miss him in int. arena...true character.
My dad is one of his biggest fan, his devotion to dada is simply mind blowing, he only tunes to indian bengali TV (sports news) just to find out dada's news - and believe me TV people don't disappoint him much- always somehting about dada on a everyday basis!

sbsash
November 6, 2008, 05:43 PM
Happy retirement days Ganguly.

bujhee kom
November 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
hazaar salaam and great respect for ganguly da - one of the greatest batsmen cricket ever produced!

Ajfar
November 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
one of my fav player...i'm glad he's retiring on a high note..

thebest
November 7, 2008, 02:14 AM
He started with a century, lets hope he could finish with a century. @ the moment he is 85*

thebest
November 7, 2008, 02:16 AM
spoke too soon. He is out. Hope he would get another chance.

CricFanBD
November 8, 2008, 02:10 AM
Sourav will be always in my mind for his explosive 183 runs against Srilanka in the 1999 WC. Sourav is a true character in modern cricket…probably the best opponent against Aussie cricketers.

bangla-J
November 9, 2008, 02:26 AM
He was a great player but i wasn't much of a fan...

Tintin
November 9, 2008, 03:33 AM
First ball duck in his last innings !

Antora
November 10, 2008, 04:07 AM
Ever since I figured out what cricket was... the fact that it wasn't just a random game where someone hits the ball and runs, there is more to it. My fav player has been Ganguly. MY whole family loves Ganguly and that goes to explain why my Dad named my Little brother after him LOL. I'm gonna miss him a lot :( It's waay toooooooo sad to see him leave :(

desirocker
November 10, 2008, 04:55 AM
he sould be our coach. Trush me, that'll help us a lot.

auntu
November 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
[বাংলা]বিদায় (এখন পর্যন্ত) সর্বকালের সর্ব শ্রেষ্ঠ বাঙ্গালী ক্রিকেটার।[/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
November 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
First ball duck in his last innings !
Still averaged 42.5 in this test alone. Contributed many folds than Dravid (total of 3 runs?) in this test and in this series.

Sovik
November 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
He started with a century, lets hope he could finish with a century. @ the moment he is 85*

thats what i wanted too. but i was really surprised and amazed when Dhoni let him captain the team for last couple of the overs.

I was never a big fan of him, loved him sometimes but hated him most of the time but he was a great batsman. His innings against pakistan in Dhaka was a great one. The way he used to hit spinners out of the ground. His innings of 183, his performance in Sahara cup against pakistan.

I feel lucky to born in an era to watch few good players

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
November 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
I am also a big fan of sourov dada. One of the best offside players I have ever seen.

Bengaliprince176
November 12, 2008, 12:37 PM
well its finally happened.....I dunno reli what to say, but those die hard fans of Ganguly will know exactly how im feeling, im just glad he left in style, typical Ganguly style. Its sad that he was constantly under pressure in the last year, he looked so relaxed in the middle this series, and him and DHoni seemed like best friends when they were together, which shows how much of an impact he has had on the youngsters of old like Khan, the 2 SInghs, Sehwag, Dhoni etc.

Just thought i wud share a few videos, in particular Dada taklking about food, and yes he talks about ileesh maach! :-D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdlbDOP_2Ec&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdlbDOP_2Ec&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thhose who wanted him to have impact on BD cricket, well the signs are there he may get involved.....

Ganguly to deliver lecture to young cricketers

Sourav Ganguly, the former India captain, will deliver a lecture to young Bangladesh cricketers during a conditioning workshop which is being planned by the Bangladesh board's cricket development committee.

"We are planning to arrange a workshop to focus on patience, skill level, and mental toughness and we are trying to provide some international input in this regard," Shakil Kaseem, the chairman of the development committee, told the Daily Star. "The good news is that Ganguly has agreed to present a lecture in this regard. And I think there can be none better than Ganguly to lecture on this issue."

Kaseem said players' physical and mental states were a matter of concern for Bangladesh cricket. "Skill and talent-wise [sic], our cricketers are as good as any other players from the top countries," he said. "But the problem lies in fitness level and lack of mental toughness. That's why we want to emphasise on these areas to prepare our players properly."

Bangladesh announced a 15-man National Cricket Academy squad, which will tour Sri Lanka to play two four-day games, three one-dayers, and a warm-up match. The selectors made six changes to the squad, which toured South Africa last month, with Naeem Islam taking over the captaincy from Suhrawadi Shuvo, who managed only one win in five matches.

Bangladesh academy squad:
Naeem Islam (capt), Marshall Ayub (vice-captain), Suhrawadi Shuvo, Farhad Hossain, Shamsur Rahman, Imrul Kayes, Nasir Hossain, Mahbubul Alam, Ziaur Rahman, Delwar Hossain, Mahbubul Karim, Arafat Sunny, Sajidul Islam, Rubel Hossain, Ashiqul Islam.

and also i never realised this particular stat:

In 1997, Sourav Ganguly came to Dhaka to open Amarjyoti cricket club where 12 year old Ashraful met him and asked him for an autograph and a photo, little that either of them knew that they would be playing against each other in the future. When India toured Bangladesh in 2007, Ashraful went up to the Indian team's dinner table in Sonargaon hotel in Dhaka where Ganguly was seated with his team-mates and showed him and the other Indian players the picture. Of course the photo is a prized possession and meeting Ganguly one of his two favourite memories.

ANother reason why Ashraful is one of my fav BD players!