PDA

View Full Version : Bashar - Rafique captancy issue

fwullah
November 17, 2003, 11:51 AM
I have been observing something, (and which is true in my case also) whenever a player performs in a crucial match or in a crucial tournament, and we are in need of a new captain, we straight away go to the 'good performance' player and make him the captain.

It all suggests to me that we're all headed by emotions, or rather, strong emotions on choosing our captain, and our BCB officials are also not above it.

This trend has been going on since Akram Khan and Aminul Islam had retired, or rather, forced to retire from International cricket - either as a player or as a captain. Anyway, that is not a matter of concern.

The matter of concern is that we are still following the same trend and are unable to find the right captain, who can lead us to victories in either One Day Internationals or in Tests.

First, we chose Naimur Rahman as our captain when Aminul Islam started to give a fight together his team-mates against the BCB officials against the "players not allowed to play for club cricket and earn money for their families". I think some of you can correct me on the facts. The point is that when Aminul Islam became a 'problem', Naimur Rahman was chosen over Khaled Mahmud, the next possible captain, but the out-of-form player at the time; because Naimur performed better with the bat in the world Cup 1999.

Then in Pilot's case Naimur Rahman became a boo-ed player by the crowd (just like Khaled Mahmud currently is), there were too many out-of-form players including Akram Khan and Aminul Islam which led the BCB officials to choose the only permanent player in the team, the wicket keeper Khaled Mashud.

Then when Khaled Mashud sucked in the world cup 2003, then the good performer of the World Cup 2003, the man-of-the-match from the Bangladesh side against Kenya, in a losing match had prompted the BCB officials to finally put their trusts in Khaled Mahmud.

And now lastly, when Khaled Mahmud is sucking now, we are obviously going for Mohammad Rafique and Habibul Bashar, who are our two top-performers. In this case, in the current situation, Mohammad Rafique is ahead of Habibul Bashar because of his (good) performance in both tests and ODIs and if the BCB officials recommend it not to take a separate captain's policy, then Mohammad Rafique could very well become our next captain for both tests and ODIs.

Look at their performances now - Habibul Bashar has just been the top scorer for Bangladesh in Tests over the last year, he may even be included in the list of best test batsman of the year in the year 2003. And Mohammad Rafique is becoming a player in great form, with the ball certainly, and recently he has shown some good form with the bat.

As I had admitted earlier, I also fall into this category, and if I would want to decide on a captain with my heart, then I'd like Mohammad Rafique to be our next captain for the Namibia and the Zimbabwe tour.

But in the brains, it gives a warning bell that our 'number of players' is being short-listed, and if Rafique does become the captain in the next series, then there is only Habibul Bashar left who could be our next - next captain.

So we should better find a good and stable captain, or our time is running out.

*** I am feeling very sleepy at the moment, so please don't take my words directly and seriously, but I mean it what I am saying.

Upal
November 17, 2003, 04:10 PM
well, it makes sense to pick a captain who is in good form and is sure to have a permanent place on the team. Otherwise, we will just have another Sujon issue in our hands if we make a "on the fence" player captain of the team. I think Hanan Sarkar should be made the Vice Captain...as i see him being the captain of our team going into the next World Cup. For the next couple of years, I would choose Habibul Bashar over Rafique to lead the side...

Nasif
November 17, 2003, 08:37 PM
I wonder how will Rafiq give interview if he is captain. He can use interpreter :(

Sami
November 18, 2003, 01:49 PM
It doesnt matter... if BD performs better under the captaincy of Rafique I am sure no one wud mind him giving interviews in Bangla... If Interpretor is needed then I guess it will HAVE to be arranged... BD team er shathe ekta interpretor jaabe jeikhanei team jai... and proudly translate korbe rafique er comments and amra shobai cheer korbo...

oracle
November 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
I want to try out getting our best 11 and picking the captain. we can always figure out an excuse or find the scapegoat for defeats.:)

fwullah
November 18, 2003, 05:31 PM
If Sujon had been the captain for the coming Zim tour (which seems unlikely now wth all the reports on him - well, against him), I would have loved to make him the scapegoat for our not winning in Zimbabwe.

I wonder whom we'll make scapegoat now.

Shubho
November 18, 2003, 05:51 PM
Look guys, it doesn't matter who we make captain, as long as we realize that Sujon's gotta go from the team. Make Enamul Haque the new captain for all I care.

abs
November 21, 2003, 04:57 PM
In da ideal world Rafique should be given captaincy. Hopefully dis well give someone like Hannan or Nafees, who i beleive is future captain material, bout 4yrs to sort thereselves out.

Like i mentioned before, allow Bashar.... he aint captain material cos he's too quiet. He is our best batsmen n i wouldn't wanna c him drop form cos of more responsibilities.

As for u guys dat r cussin Rafique cos he's from low-class n can't speak english.......... well shame on you lot. Wake up dis is da 21st century.... stop thinkin like ur grandad's. Players should be picked cos of der ability n not cos dey from a rich family.
I rather have a good captain n an interpreter rather than a useless captain but good speaker of english. :mad: :mad:

[Edited on 21-11-2003 by abs]