PDA

View Full Version : Lawson sacked by PCB

Tigers_eye
October 24, 2008, 09:46 AM
Oct 24, 2008.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/375196.html

Geoff Lawson has been removed as Pakistan coach, just days after it was announced that he would see out the rest of his contract, ending in August 2009. The announcement came shortly after a meeting he had with PCB chief Ijaz Butt - responsible for the recent public flip-flops on the coach's future - at which Lawson was told a decision would be conveyed to him by Saturday, following discussions within the board.

“Geoff Lawson has been relieved of his duties as coach of Pakistan,” Raza Rashid, PCB spokesman, said. “He will be paid three months’ salary as agreed in his contract in case of termination.” The contract of David Dwyer, the trainer Lawson brought with him, has not been ended though it is understood that he is reluctant to stay without Lawson.

Surprisingly, Lawson is believed to have heard of the decision after it became public. In fact, as news emerged, Lawson was on his way to train with some Pakistan players. “I have heard nothing yet from them,” Lawson told Cricinfo at the time. Later, he confirmed receiving a letter from the board informing him of the decision.

A PCB official denied this, claiming Lawson “had been informed by the board" when the decision was made public. Earlier in the afternoon Lawson had met Butt for the first time since the former Test player took over as chairman. It is believed Lawson’s performances as a coach weren’t discussed at the meeting.
it brings to an end an uncertain experiment, which began in July 2007 when Lawson beat the much-fancied Dav Whatmore to succeed Bob Woolmer as Pakistan’s coach. At the time it was widely thought a number of players in the national side had preferred Lawson, possibly because they were wary of Whatmore’s tougher attitude.

The start was promising, as Pakistan reached the final of the ICC World Twenty20 in South Africa in September last year. But from then on problems emerged. A new, unsettled team under Shoaib Malik, an inexperienced captain, lost vital series against South Africa at home and India away. Pakistan’s frontline fast bowlers, expected to prosper under a former fast bowler, were plagued by injuries, and the losses only added to the pressure on the new pair of Lawson and Malik.
It didn’t help that 2008, Lawson’s first full year in charge, was a disturbingly barren one for Pakistan. Australia pulled out of a full tour, the Champions Trophy was postponed and Pakistan was left to feed off minnows from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. The opportunity to mould a team never arose, so that by the time Pakistan lost in the final of a Twenty20 tournament in Toronto, the push to remove Lawson, with a new administration in place, was higher than ever before.
Matters weren’t helped by the increasingly tetchy relationship with the local media, where rarely an opportunity went by from either side to have a dig at the other, as well as the previous selection committee, with whom Lawson had several run-ins. Ultimately he was only in charge for 15 months and five Tests.

Though it is early still, replacement names have been predictably bandied about, with Javed Miandad once again apparently in contention. Miandad, along with Aamir Sohail, have met board officials in recent days, though Miandad is reported to be in the running for a position in the governing board.

Intikhab Alam is also in the running, at least in the short term. "Inti might go along with the team to the Abu Dhabi series in the capacity of coach," a board official said. "Nothing is certain yet but a number of options are being looked at, including looking at the whole question of whether we need a coach as such."

MohammedC
October 24, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ijaz is kicking all the butt. Last week he blamed BCB ans SLC now he fires Lawson.

bujhee kom
October 24, 2008, 12:32 PM
i feel really bad for jeff lawson. he is a very polite and gentle in person! i can understand that it didn't work out with the pakistan team but PCB seeems to be not very professional at all!

Nocturnal
October 24, 2008, 02:09 PM
saw it coming

sbsash
October 24, 2008, 05:53 PM
So Pakistan needs a new coach now.

shabbir
October 24, 2008, 10:48 PM
Pakistan Cricket is bizarre like their country.I don't thing any coach will sustain there more than 1year.Remember what happened to Richard pybus,BoB ulmer

akabir77
October 24, 2008, 10:49 PM
when did they play that they found out this coach will not work?

One World
October 25, 2008, 12:02 AM
I had the same question in mind when I saw this news. This is going crazy. Just when WI agreed to play test in neutral Dubai it came off. Right after Malik's ban lift. So much politics inside.

One World
October 25, 2008, 12:03 AM
Ash can pick up now. He would do good as a coach of such vulnerable team.

yaseer
October 25, 2008, 02:58 AM
Javed Miandad as prospective replacement !!
Again Pakistan is going into some controversies, whenever Miandad became coach, he had some sort of problems with players.

Dev Whatmore will also be having a close look in the whole openings there.

One World
October 25, 2008, 12:36 PM
Can Intikhab Coach a team like this, I think it would be
better for a team so diversified in character and zeal to have
someone of their own as a catch. It seems no matter how skillful those players
are sometimes they need to get spoonfed to act as a team.

MohammedC
October 25, 2008, 01:12 PM
In 10 year pakistan had 14 coach!!!!!!!!!! I did not know that

Jeff Lawson
Late Bob Woolmer
Javed Miandad..

I cant think of any one else. Help me out guys

Surfer
October 25, 2008, 11:21 PM

Jeff Lawson
Late Bob Woolmer
Javed Miandad..

Here is the list:

* Sept 1998: Javed Miandad takes over from Haroon Rasheed.
* April 1999: Miandad resigns after falling out with senior players and is replaced by Mushtaq Mohammad for the 1999 World Cup.
* Aug 1999: Mushtaq is sacked after the World Cup. Wasim Raja steps in.
* Nov 1999: English-born Richard Pybus becomes Pakistan's first foreign coach.
* Dec 1999: Intikhab Alam takes over after Pybus is axed following Pakistan's 3-0 rout in a Test series in Australia.
* March 2000: Miandad replaces Alam after Pakistan lose the home series to Sri Lanka.
* April 2001: Miandad is replaced by Pybus after Pakistan's tour of New Zealand
* Sept 2001: Pybus refuses to come to Pakistan for security reasons after 9/11. Mudassar Nazar takes over.
* Sept 2002: Nazar summoned home midway through ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka and Pybus returns for a third stint.
* March 2003: Pybus says he does not want to stay on after Pakistan were knocked out in the first round of the World Cup. Miandad returns as coach.
* June 2004: Miandad sacked after Pakistan lose the one-day and Test series against India at home.
* July 2004: Bob Woolmer takes over.
* March 2007: Woolmer is found dead in his Jamaica hotel room hours after Pakistan crash out in the first round of the World Cup in the West Indies.
* July 2007: Geoff Lawson is appointed as coach.
* Oct 2008: Lawson two-year tenure is cut short; Alam appointed for ODI series against West Indies to be played in Abu Dhabi.

MohammedC
October 25, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Surfer

auntu
October 26, 2008, 03:40 AM
It is not a good decision to appoint Intikhab as the new coach. They need a modern one.

One World
October 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the chronology Surfer.

Surfer
October 27, 2008, 12:04 AM
It is not a good decision to appoint Intikhab as the new coach. They need a modern one.

Ah, you are right. They need a modern coach, but they want a convenient coach. They want a coach who would be convenient for the players, the officials and the fans. Thats the problem. They want a coach who would not ask an Afridi to score and an Akhtar to concentrate on his game. Pakistani players refused to accept Whatmore because Whatmore is a taskmaster. The PCB administration wants a coach who would turn a blind eye and even sometimes cooperate in their dirty politics. And the fans want a coach who would come with a magic wand and turn the Palkistani side into world champions over night.

No one can play so many contrasting roles at once. So no coach can actually stay there for long. But the message is clear: Join PCB as coach, keep counting money, do nothing but wait for day we sack you.

BANFAN
October 30, 2008, 03:37 PM

Jeff Lawson
Late Bob Woolmer
Javed Miandad..

On the contrary they had only two presidents during that time. :)

The cricketing decisions of pak is highly politicised, so they had been playing musical chair with the coaches, primarily because of the poor management & decisions of military controlled PCB.

Thanks surfer for the chronology

Murad
October 30, 2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks surfer for the chronology

That was made by the Cricinfo. Surfer just coped and paste it here and getting all the thanks :-D

BANFAN
November 2, 2008, 08:25 AM
That was made by the Cricinfo. Surfer just coped and paste it here and getting all the thanks :-D

Is it, haven't seen though. :) Thanks

Ok surfer I take it back and a mini thanks (for copy + paste) :)

Surfer
November 2, 2008, 10:01 AM
I did the googling and then C n P for all you guys with a lazy backside.:D

auntu
November 2, 2008, 10:16 AM
[বাংলা]ইনতেখাব আবার কবে যায় কে জানে !গত এক বছরে ১৪টি কোচ পরিবর্তন হয়েছে।
প্রথম আলো (http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2008-11-02&nid=MzIxNTk=&fid=Ng==)[/বাংলা]