PDA

View Full Version : Panesar needs to Pay to play Sri Lankan Club Cricket

mahbubH
October 29, 2008, 05:31 AM
Panesar unlikely to play for Sri Lankan club

Monty Panesar, the England left-arm spinner, is unlikely to play for Bloomfield in Sri Lanka's domestic Premier trophy tournament due to a pay dispute.

Panesar, 26, was due to arrive in Sri Lanka next month and represent Bloomfield, one of the leading clubs in the local tournament, in order to gain experience of playing on subcontinent pitches and conditions ahead of England's tour to India later this year.

However negotiations between Bloomfield and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have not gone ahead as planned and there is a likelihood that Panesar may not turn up at all.

Bloomfield president Upali Dharmadasa said the club cricket committee decided that if Panesar was to play for the club for one month the ECB should compensate them with a fee of at least ₤7500.

"We were going to sacrifice one of our players to accommodate Panesar so we told John Carr, the ECB's director of cricket, to compensate us with something so that the club and the player will benefit," said Dharmadasa.

"Initially they came to us and said they would pay ₤500. We said we were not happy with the figure and we put the matter up to the committee which decided that ₤7500 would be a reasonable amount. However Carr came back to us and said they can pay only ₤1000 which is not acceptable to us," he said.

Dharmadasa said if Panesar was to be accommodated in the team, an experienced left-arm spinner like Shanuka Dissanayake, who captained Bloomfield last season would lose his place for one month.

A media conference hosted by ECB at Cinnamon Grand Hotel on November 3 is unlikely to take place due to the present deadlock.

CricInfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/375787.html)

mahbubH
October 29, 2008, 05:34 AM
It is very new to me that a test player or his board needs to pay Sri Lankan club to play for the club. BD clubs would be very happy to have Panesar in their team and obviously will pay him too. What a difference.

yaseer
October 29, 2008, 05:39 AM
Ya, strange a bit. Cricket board is paying for the cricketer to play him in a club.

yaseer
October 29, 2008, 05:43 AM
Another thing comes to my mind, We used to have foreign cricketers in our NCL, for the first 1 0r 2 seasons as far as i remember. Then BCB stopped it as a BD player had to sit out for that. Also i thought the level of players not good as well.

What about if we start having 1 foreign player per NCL team, given a condition that the player must have experience to play test cricket and has not yet retired from Test cricket also. Then we can have quality players in our NCL which can improve the level of game. We can also give condition that the foreign player needs to be a bowler also. That can make our 1st class batsman play quality bowlers as well. It's debatable though.

shabbir
October 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
panesar can play any club in bangladesh for free.our clubs will be happy to take him in th team.

auntu
October 29, 2008, 08:10 AM
Another thing comes to my mind, We used to have foreign cricketers in our NCL, for the first 1 0r 2 seasons as far as i remember. Then BCB stopped it as a BD player had to sit out for that. Also i thought the level of players not good as well.

What about if we start having 1 foreign player per NCL team, given a condition that the player must have experience to play test cricket and has not yet retired from Test cricket also. Then we can have quality players in our NCL which can improve the level of game. We can also give condition that the foreign player needs to be a bowler also. That can make our 1st class batsman play quality bowlers as well. It's debatable though.

That's a good idea. I like that. Also it would bring some competition to NCL players

scoilaheez
October 30, 2008, 04:42 AM

who are we going to attract? Lets be realistic any established players have got more options than ever with the icl and ipl in terms of money and no circketer is going to come to bd for 'cricketing reasons'. we need to try and attract foreign players of quality could add to our domestic teams.

One such example may be moses henriques or steven smith, a future superstar of australian cricket who may want experience overseas. These players can lift the standard of what is a really really depleted NCL

BANFAN
October 30, 2008, 03:01 PM
Ya, strange a bit. Cricket board is paying for the cricketer to play him in a club.

It looks like a training trip for Monty. Why should SL teach him free?
But BD doesn't offer much in that aspect, just the pitch, so he won't be much interested even with money.

Crook Brits have been out witted by SL, Bravo !! :)

BANFAN
October 30, 2008, 03:05 PM
Another thing comes to my mind, ......................

What about if we start having 1 foreign player per NCL team, given a condition that the player must have experience to play test cricket .............................................

IMO it should be 3/4 players minimum.

Agree with the condition. But might add ODIs as well.