PDA

View Full Version : BD Government ban ICL coverage for Dhaka Warrior

Sadz
November 1, 2008, 09:21 AM
Well, I guess it would now take a miracle for the BD cricket board to overturn the ban.
Yes, i know its the government of the country that agreed to stop the tv coverage over there but others will obviously follow their lead.

This is bad news for the Indians. What goes around comes around.

http://cricket.zeenews.com/fullstory.asp?nid=14187

Spitfire_x86
November 1, 2008, 09:31 AM
In one word, "pathetic"

Shame to the propaganda ministry.

Zunaid
November 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
I wonder under what legal authority can the government do this? Very much like trade protectionism except in this case the protection does not benefit us but a foreign entity.

thebest
November 1, 2008, 09:37 AM
I am not an ICL fan. But this is not true. I could watch in ten and zee sports the ICL match. I would applaud the govt to ban any local channel (specially the Diganto). This is for two reasons - saving money going outside the country and the other one is purely political. However I am not at all please with this so called information ministry thinks. We can not watch the ongoing Aus- Ind series as the free to air channel Super sports and neo-sports needed to be pre -approved by Govt. This is simply blatnat interference of government in our freedom of speech.

cricket_pagol
November 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
Pathetic!

djnaved
November 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
sounds like bcb is linked up with the caretaker gov't.......bd ppl started to watch dhaka warrior's match.......emonki onek dhaka warrior'ser hater o lukaia lukaia match dekhtache, publicly tara bole i hate the icl and the dw, but when the match schedule comes up, they go to their computer/tv and start enjoying the match...this is very true.........nirbachon kobe hobe ei chintai achi, taile bcb'r nirbachokra r team management change hobe plus icl er jonno kichu luv hobe

bdchamp20
November 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
I am not an ICL fan. But this is not true. I could watch in ten and zee sports the ICL match. I would applaud the govt to ban any local channel (specially the Diganto). This is for two reasons - saving money going outside the countryand the other one is purely political. However I am not at all please with this so called information ministry thinks. We can not watch the ongoing Aus- Ind series as the free to air channel Super sports and neo-sports needed to be pre -approved by Govt. This is simply blatnat interference of government in our freedom of speech.
Care to explain this point. If a local channel buys the rights and then starts broadcasting and making profit from ad money from Bangladeshi companies, at the end the money is staying in the country.

If they really want to stop money going to other countries, then they should just ban Grameen Phone, Banglalink etc. Who are taking away billions from our country every year.

tonoy
November 1, 2008, 09:59 AM
So, is it possible for people in BD to watch the matches in Zee channels? From what I read, they should still be able to watch it on the traditional Indian channel. Its just that we don't have the right to distribute it locally. Right?

Nafi
November 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
This is stupid!

Razi
November 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
[বাংলা]আমি বেপারটা কিছুই বুঝলাম না, আচ্ছা ভাল কথা দিগন্ত খেলা দেখাবে না, কিন্তু আমরা কি টেন স্পর্টসও খেলা দেখতে পারব না?[/বাংলা]

ammark
November 1, 2008, 10:14 AM
I didnt realise its 1984

Miraz
November 1, 2008, 10:37 AM
Pathetic and moronic decision from the government. Cricket administrators who lobbied for this sanction are nothing but gutless bunch.

Burying the head in the sand doesn't solve any problem, but if they like to do so.. they can happily do that. However, they have no right to deny general population from their rights to watch ICL and support DW.

One World
November 1, 2008, 11:21 AM
I didnt realise its 1984

Its still a leap year.

shabbir
November 1, 2008, 11:29 AM
I am not understand what is this banned for?Still you can watch Icl matches on Tensports and Zsports

thebest
November 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
Care to explain this point. If a local channel buys the rights and then starts broadcasting and making profit from ad money from Bangladeshi companies, at the end the money is staying in the country.

If they really want to stop money going to other countries, then they should just ban Grameen Phone, Banglalink etc. Who are taking away billions from our country every year.
I do not watch ICL. So I do not know which Bd companies are buying ad in 10 sports or Zee sports. But I never saw any bd ad in ten sports or zee sports when I watch other sp0rting event on those channel. So I infer that no Bd company is buying ad over there. However when Digonta TV is buying the right, they have to pay Zee for that right; thus money goes outside Bangladesh; Regarding your second issue, I hope you use teletalk - then then problem of money going to Norway or Malaysia or Egypt would not arise. BTW I have serious problem going money to India then Norway (even after massive amount of money going through GP, it is one of the few country where we have balance of Trade in our favor; at least that was the case till 2006; last time I checked). BTW you may have forgot how much money GP and Banglalink invest in Bangladesh and how much job they created in Bangladesh. GP alone created more job for Bangladeshis then all indian companies in Bangladesh combined .
BTW is not it quite ironic Digonta - a channel associated with Jamat is trying to buy product from Zee - a channel which has very soft corner for BJP and if some of my Indians friend to belive may be part of BJP. Surely Fundies are always together irrespective of Hindu, Muslim or Christians

babubangla
November 1, 2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.paintthetownrude.com/Images/Cartoons/dog.jpg

[বাংলা]ছোটবেলায় অডিও ক্যাসেটে শোনা হানিফ সংকেতের একটা কৌতুকের অংশবিশেষ ছিল এরকমঃ

দরিদ্র গ্রামবাসীঃ চেয়ারম্যান সাব, আমার পোলারে কুত্তায় কামড়াইছে, সারাদিন ব্যথায় কানতাছে। ডাক্তারে কইছে ১৪টা ইন্দিশন দিতে হইবো। আমি গরীব মানুষ, এখন ১৪টা ইন্দিশন ক্যামনে দিই? আপনে কিছু সাহায্য না করলে তো আমার পোলা এত কস্টে মইরাই যাইবো।

চেয়ারম্যানঃ তোমার পোলা এত কস্ট পাইতাছে, আর আমি চেয়ারম্যান হইয়াও তোমারে সাহায্য করমুনা মানে? অবশ্যই সাহায্য করুম। কোন চিন্তা নাই। আমি ডাক্তাররে ডাইকা কইয়া দিমু... “আমার এলাকায় অসহায় মানুষরে ১৪টা ইন্দিশন দেয়া চলবো না। ইন্দিশন দিবো বড় জোর ৬টা, এর বেশী দিলে হাত ঠ্যাং ভাইঙ্গা দিমু, এই এলাকা থেইক্কা ভাগাই দিমু।"

আমাদের ক্রিকেটের এই সংকটের দিনে সরকার মহাশয় চেয়ারম্যান সাহেবের মতো সাহায্যের হাত এগিয়ে এসেছে!
[/বাংলা]

Rabz
November 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
Its ironic to be honest.
We still can watch the matches on Ten and Zee Sports.

By the way, BTV officials go gaga when ind-pak match is on.
The whole world can go down, but the match would be on.

But when a Bangladeshi team playing, they slap a ban!

Tehsin
November 1, 2008, 12:39 PM
This is unbelievable. What has happened to BD ? We let criminals roam free in public, allow them to get out of jail and run for election and this folks want to ban cricket match videos? Nai deshe eranda gach brikkho and DW did more to enhance our cricketing stature among ICL fans worldwide (which, is still a pretty huge number) with non Bangladeshis actually ROOTING for a Bangladesh based cricket team. What has BD govt really done to improve the national team over the last 6-8 years? NOTHING.

Allow people who follow DW n tv to enjoy these matches. This was a bonehead move and they should be ashamed to bring themselves to this is a new low for a democratic country like Bangladesh.

Tehsin
November 1, 2008, 12:41 PM
:notworthy:

http://www.paintthetownrude.com/Images/Cartoons/dog.jpg

[বাংলা]ছোটবেলায় অডিও ক্যাসেটে শোনা হানিফ সংকেতের একটা কৌতুকের অংশবিশেষ ছিল এরকমঃ[/বাংলা]
[বাংলা]

দরিদ্র গ্রামবাসীঃ চেয়ারম্যান সাব, আমার পোলারে কুত্তায় কামড়াইছে, সারাদিন ব্যথায় কানতাছে। ডাক্তারে কইছে ১৪টা ইন্দিশন দিতে হইবো। আমি গরীব মানুষ, এখন ১৪টা ইন্দিশন ক্যামনে দিই? আপনে কিছু সাহায্য না করলে তো আমার পোলা এত কস্টে মইরাই যাইবো।

চেয়ারম্যানঃ তোমার পোলা এত কস্ট পাইতাছে, আর আমি চেয়ারম্যান হইয়াও তোমারে সাহায্য করমুনা মানে? অবশ্যই সাহায্য করুম। কোন চিন্তা নাই। আমি ডাক্তাররে ডাইকা কইয়া দিমু... “আমার এলাকায় অসহায় মানুষরে ১৪টা ইন্দিশন দেয়া চলবো না। ইন্দিশন দিবো বড় জোর ৬টা, এর বেশী দিলে হাত ঠ্যাং ভাইঙ্গা দিমু, এই এলাকা থেইক্কা ভাগাই দিমু।"

আমাদের ক্রিকেটের এই সংকটের দিনে সরকার মহাশয় চেয়ারম্যান সাহেবের মতো সাহায্যের হাত এগিয়ে এসেছে!
[/বাংলা]

WarWolf
November 1, 2008, 12:41 PM
We are simply going backwards. I am not a big fan of ICL as most members here know it well. But I am against such kind of so-called authorities of the govt. I, in fact, don't think that the govt has any such kind of authorities at all to do it.

Govt is taking the interest of the whole country by acting like this. The more you want to hide some thing, the interest it gets from the public.

Dhakablues
November 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
I couldve understood this under BNP or Awami league government where these type of stupid decisions are made under the name of "morality" but under a neutral government?

What next The players will be stripped from their citizenships? Put into Bandorbo jail soon after they come back due to unpaid tax from the year 1976?

cric crazy
November 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
So, not only are BCCI in charge of our cricket, they are also in charge of our government.

We might as well let BCCi take care of our healthcare, financial institutions, defense, and anything else they deem appropriate, because clearly, Bangladeshies do not have the backbone to stand up to bullies.

Umar
November 1, 2008, 01:19 PM
They didn't do what they should've done which is try and make the players legal to play in ICC matches, instead they are sticking Bamboo in BD cricket's rearside.

Its true that we didn't want our players to go to ICL, but they are not doing anything BAD for BD cricket, instead everytime i hear the commentry they says "these BANGLADESHI players are showing up their talent". i don't see ANYTHING wrong in that.

Looks like this name "gvt" is poisonous in BD. whoever takes that position becomes brain poisoned. otherwise how can someone take such a stupid action? This kind of action will have reverse effect in peoples mind.

tiger_omar
November 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
So, not only are BCCI in charge of our cricket, they are also in charge of our government.

We might as well let BCCi take care of our healthcare, financial institutions, defense, and anything else they deem appropriate, because clearly, Bangladeshies do not have the backbone to stand up to bullies.

:lol::lol::lol:

Kinda sad though.

jabber375
November 1, 2008, 02:02 PM
Looks like I am the only one who appreciate this ban. C'mon guys, why should Diganta show ICL matches live. None of our private TV channels appeared to be interested to broadcast matches when our national team play. Then why Diganta is so enthusiastic about ICL??
I mean what was the purpose of ICL to introduce a team from Dhaka. Its not like they have great respect about BD cricket. ICL's strategy was to increase the TV rating by attracting some viewers from Dhaka. We all agree that ICL has devastated our cricket already. If Diganta keep showing this fake show(I cant call this cricket), day by day more people will start watching it and will serve the ultimate purpose of ICL(General people are more interested to see fake events and that’s why WWE or HILLS is so popular). As you can imagine it will bring more devastation to BD cricket.

I think you all agree BCB doesn't have the ablity to fight ICL's huge money. So, BCB needs some minimum protection which may be unfair.

tiger_omar
November 1, 2008, 02:03 PM
This is unbelievable. What has happened to BD ? We let criminals roam free in public, allow them to get out of jail and run for election and this folks want to ban cricket match videos?
Allow people who follow DW n tv to enjoy these matches. This was a bonehead move and they should be ashamed to bring themselves to this is a new low for a democratic country like Bangladesh.

Yea we definatly need to get our priorities straight as a country.

I was also thinking how we can ban something like this, being a "democratic" country.

al Furqaan
November 1, 2008, 02:05 PM
as long as they ban IPL too, it will be great.

mafizraju
November 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
I am not an ICL fan. But this is not true. I could watch in ten and zee sports the ICL match. I would applaud the govt to ban any local channel (specially the Diganto). This is for two reasons - saving money going outside the country and the other one is purely political. However I am not at all please with this so called information ministry thinks. We can not watch the ongoing Aus- Ind series as the free to air channel Super sports and neo-sports needed to be pre -approved by Govt. This is simply blatnat interference of government in our freedom of speech.

Seems like your blue planet is turning black

mafizraju
November 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
I do not watch ICL. So I do not know which Bd companies are buying ad in 10 sports or Zee sports. But I never saw any bd ad in ten sports or zee sports when I watch other sp0rting event on those channel. So I infer that no Bd company is buying ad over there. However when Digonta TV is buying the right, they have to pay Zee for that right; thus money goes outside Bangladesh; Regarding your second issue, I hope you use teletalk - then then problem of money going to Norway or Malaysia or Egypt would not arise. BTW I have serious problem going money to India then Norway (even after massive amount of money going through GP, it is one of the few country where we have balance of Trade in our favor; at least that was the case till 2006; last time I checked). BTW you may have forgot how much money GP and Banglalink invest in Bangladesh and how much job they created in Bangladesh. GP alone created more job for Bangladeshis then all indian companies in Bangladesh combined .
BTW is not it quite ironic Digonta - a channel associated with Jamat is trying to buy product from Zee - a channel which has very soft corner for BJP and if some of my Indians friend to belive may be part of BJP. Surely Fundies are always together irrespective of Hindu, Muslim or Christians

Even though you have some strength in the later part of your comment in terms of logic, the first argument is simply pathetic. What will happen to Bangladesh, if other countries decide not to trade (import) anything including labour from Bangladesh to prevent money going abroad????? There could only be a campaign to promote goods and services produced by the country to be consumed in the country, but that only could be a second front. Not a primary one as you seem to suggest. Why watch India Aussie match?

mafizraju
November 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
This is a clear propaganda mission. We are taking mediavle approach of leaving the mass in ignorace so that status quo can be maintained. This is pathetic. So ICL ban was not from the ground they said it was. Now that BCB has successfully lobbied the Propaganda Ministry (or used the army connection) to even Ban ICL broadcast, it shows a clear intent of revenge at best, and as i mentioned a mediavle, stupid, insipid and ignorant approach. I dont care what Digonto promotes, I dont care whatever their political agenda is, I dont care whether they want to use popularity of ICL to sway more audience for their political agenda.

But such an insipid ban is work of weak government.

I am sorry ICL is becoming my heroes now.............

mafizraju
November 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
Looks like I am the only one who appreciate this ban. C'mon guys, why should Diganta show ICL matches live. None of our private TV channels appeared to be interested to broadcast matches when our national team play. Then why Diganta is so enthusiastic about ICL??
I mean what was the purpose of ICL to introduce a team from Dhaka. Its not like they have great respect about BD cricket. ICL's strategy was to increase the TV rating by attracting some viewers from Dhaka. We all agree that ICL has devastated our cricket already. If Diganta keep showing this fake show(I cant call this cricket), day by day more people will start watching it and will serve the ultimate purpose of ICL(General people are more interested to see fake events and that’s why WWE or HILLS is so popular). As you can imagine it will bring more devastation to BD cricket.

I think you all agree BCB doesn't have the ablity to fight ICL's huge money. So, BCB needs some minimum protection which may be unfair.

I do not agree, and so many of us who dont.

I do not think ICL has devastated our cricket. Rather the ICL ban and the subsequent politics had effect, if there were any whatsoever.

auntu
November 1, 2008, 03:05 PM
[বাংলা]তো সমস্যাটা কোথায়? জামাতে ইসলামের চ্যানেলে খেলা দেখাতে দিবে না। ব্যাস ফুরাইলো। এদের তো পুরা চ্যানেলই ব্যান করে দেয়া উচিত।
ঘৃন্য পরাজিত ধর্ম ব্যবসায়ীদের কোন সুযোগ দেয়ার পক্ষপাতি নই।[/বাংলা]

Miraz
November 1, 2008, 03:15 PM
[বাংলা]তো সমস্যাটা কোথায়? জামাতে ইসলামের চ্যানেলে খেলা দেখাতে দিবে না। ব্যাস ফুরাইলো। এদের তো পুরা চ্যানেলই ব্যান করে দেয়া উচিত।
ঘৃন্য পরাজিত ধর্ম ব্যবসায়ীদের কোন সুযোগ দেয়ার পক্ষপাতি নই।[/বাংলা]

Diganta happened to be a JI channel here who have bought the rights to show the matches. I don't think if the name of the channel was Channel i or NTv it would have made any difference to these bunch of hypocrites.

The issue isn't political.

Miraz
November 1, 2008, 03:26 PM
BTW. the thread should be moved to the ICL forum.

Tehsin
November 2, 2008, 12:20 AM
I obviously didn't read the whole thing. So, Diganta is a JI unit? Bd Govt is willing to bad cricket matches but allow these ...... to have their own channel ? I wasn't even aware of this.

I have no problem with the guys playing in ICL. However, it makes sense that JI would pay good money to show matches of a team that some consider to be a rajakar team. Makes complete sense, doesn't it? The fake rajakars get the axe while the real ones are running around with their head held high AND having their own propaganda machine on the air. The shahid's from 1971 must be turning in their graves.

One World
November 2, 2008, 12:52 AM
Its good for India in some way. Watching Digonto would expose BD audience to Deshi advertise. Now they will tune in back to Indigo channels bringing in Nirma and all these ***tty low quality products.

mahbubH
November 2, 2008, 04:58 AM
I am so pissed off of losing our your young players to ICL, I have no problem of banning ICL in Bangladesh... (none of West Bengal people can watch Ntv, Channel I, etc because those are kinda banned there!)

BANFAN
November 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
Mafiaism at it's best!!

If Local channels are broadcasting people get exposed to local products, now they will be exposed to more and more Indian products. so it's not saving money at all, just making way for more going out. I think, the Ten sports lobby has done this, so that most of the people watch their channel.

Tigers_eye
November 2, 2008, 09:17 AM
I wonder under what legal authority can the government do this? Very much like trade protectionism except in this case the protection does not benefit us but a foreign entity.
I wouldn't want to see Tamim, Shakib, Mash and the young ones coming up the pipeline joining Chittagong "Hilltrackers" or Khulna "spotted deer" in near future. With the success of DW may be they will come up with another team. A 2nd ICL team that is.

It protects our interest too. T20 is no cricket. It spoils the patience needed for test. No wonder we suck in test.

There is no freedom for any body in any where in this world. The word "Freedom" should be taken out of the dictionary.

Eshen
November 2, 2008, 10:28 AM
It scares to me see how some people are willing to ignore this attack on media's freedom because they hate a political party, or, even sillier, a cricket league. IMO, this is the kind of mentality that is holding Bangladesh to feudal age.

auntu
November 2, 2008, 10:40 AM
Agree with all ur points here guys but still please no Deganta TV. It was there marketing policy to attract people to there channel by telecasting ICL matches. Good to know that the plan failed.

Tehsin
November 2, 2008, 05:23 PM
Has there been any kind of protest against this decision? I didn't see anything in The Daily Star.

Baundule
November 3, 2008, 05:10 AM
What is next? Alok and Co. get banished from the country?

BC should protest this.

Baundule
November 3, 2008, 05:37 AM
To clarify the political issue, this govt did not ban Diganto TV, they banned the broadcasting of the ICL. So, they have nothing against Jamat (should be also evident from their behavior during the past two years); so, please do not try to give it a political color.

We are not going towards the right direction, harder times ahead.

Mahmood
November 3, 2008, 08:39 AM
It is pure wrong, only in Bangladesh!

I am guessing they are trying to stop the local sponsors from advertising thus funding the warriors, so that they can not afford to take any more Bangladeshi players.

sunny747
November 4, 2008, 03:27 AM
one day, the gov will ban all the icl players entering their country.

istiak
November 4, 2008, 04:38 AM
I think the popularity of ICL is growing fast in Dhaka and BCB is really worried abt it. If DW reaches semi or more this time BCB will be in real trouble. I myself was also not interested at the biginning but i must admit i am a regular viewer of DW now. My enthusiasm has greatly enhanced by the behavior of BCB and BCCI.

Baundule
November 4, 2008, 05:06 AM
I think the popularity of ICL is growing fast in Dhaka and BCB is really worried abt it. If DW reaches semi or more this time BCB will be in real trouble. I myself was also not interested at the biginning but i must admit i am a regular viewer of DW now. My enthusiasm has greatly enhanced by the behavior of BCB and BCCI.

No wonder here. BCB played the cheap shot of questioning patriotism of the DW players only to hide their own mis-management. Many of us jumped in to that view without looking at the background of the problem or what ICC says. Many of us even forgot the past behavior of BCCI that they did not even host us to play in India. This ban by the govt will make many of us think a bit more and at the end of the day, justice prevails! Unfortunately, by the time we all come to sense, these BCB stupid officials will leave, the next management will start delegating all the blames to the past officials.

We must focus on the actual problems and in-time.

BANFAN
November 4, 2008, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't want to see Tamim, Shakib, Mash and the young ones coming up the pipeline joining Chittagong "Hilltrackers" or Khulna "spotted deer" in near future. With the success of DW may be they will come up with another team. A 2nd ICL team that is.

It protects our interest too. T20 is no cricket. It spoils the patience needed for test. No wonder we suck in test.

There is no freedom for any body in any where in this world. The word "Freedom" should be taken out of the dictionary.

Lohore Badshahs did very good in Last tournament, But ICL didn't go for another team from Pakistan. Pakistan has more players to offer than BD. Even the paki players playing in other ICL teams can make up another one of them. It is strategically not benefitting ICL to have more than one team from same country, rathar they would like to go for a third country. More over ICL can't make a tournament with 'N' number of teams, anything more than 12 teams will make it too lengthy to sustain. So this type of fear is just a little bit ridiculous I guess.

Whatever these guys are doing is still cricket & competitive cricket. Much better than sitting at home and hoping for a place in the national team. Could Playing cricket be more damaging than not playing?

Well they might opt to get better players to make the team stronger, that's it and I don't think taking 1/2 players every year is going to hurt much. It it hurts BCB should lift ban and allow them to play in the national team. Who stops them?

Tehsin
November 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
Common Sense. That's what stops BCB from doing the right thing in many of its decision making. Think about it, if they weren't in such a hurry to ban these players, things wouldn't have come to this. People who are questioning the 'patriotism' of these players would have been supporting them all the way. DW is doing more to promote BD cricket (among 20/20 viewers) than BCB ever did. The players are being ambassadors of BD cricket to the world. Calling them Gaddar/rajakar/unpatriotic at this stage would mean having your priorities in a twist.

As a BD cricket fan.

Well they might opt to get better players to make the team stronger, that's it and I don't think taking 1/2 players every year is going to hurt much. It it hurts BCB should lift ban and allow them to play in the national team. Who stops them?

thebest
November 4, 2008, 12:00 PM
BANFAN,
you were wrong. attempts were made to make a Karachi team. But they fail to recruit enough Pakistani players. Please check Pak fans web site.
I would agree that calling Dhaka Cowards gadder uncalled for. But BCB did invest on them. So BCB has every right to do what ever way you like. BCB did not ban them playing cricket in Bangladesh; They just ban them in playing tournaments organized and approved by BCB. Many of you are doctor; But having an MBBS degree does not give you permission to practice every country of the world. You have to pass and fulfil the obligation of respective professional's association to practice in that country. In the same way, BCB is simply not recognizing their skill in playing cricket on any BCB approved tournament. I know Bangladesh Medical Association does not give permission of any doctor who passed from any USSR university and if I remember correctly even doctors who earned degree from Japanese school could not practice in Bangladesh. Did any doctor protest of this? I don't think so. Even some monthes ago one of Sk. Hasina's lawyer were refused permission by bar council to present her case. I remember there was little murmur but eventually every body agree with the decesion.
Regarding they were not getting enough money. Let me give an analogy from my personal life.By profession I am a public University Teacher. When I joined I knew there is little money by I accepted it. After the mush room growth of private universities some of my colleagues jumped to the other fence and some of them are engaged in part time job giving the reason I needed the money. I never teached in priavte university and hopefully never will. I have two arguments; first I knew from the beginning I would be in tight position financially; so why advent of private university would change the scenario and second private university is offering me not because of me but because of my affliation with the public university. Now take the scenario to Dhaka Cowards - they knew from the beginning if they can not top dog money would not be enough; ICL did not hire Aftab, HB or SN ; they hired player of Bangladesh team; I am still an HB fan but even in my wildest dream he is not a 20-20 player. BTW BCB with the exception of HB and Rafiq invested on each and every DC players. There rest of us differed as almost all cases the educational part is fully or partially financed by us; not some quasi-public organization. So did DC player repaid BCB the sum they invested on them with interest. I supported the ban because of political reason as it would potentiallly hinder Jamat's financing in election
Regarding the issue - I am all for free speech; And if you read my first post you would see I feel irritated the way government is trying to dictate my choice of watching channel. But free speech or freedom does not mean what ever and which ever I want to speak and do is permissible. I would urge fellow poster to read a short story by Bonoful name Shawdinota to understand what it mean.
Regarding popularity of DW - all is in the net. Very few actually watch it live and there is not an iota of protest that it has been banned to be telecast by Digonta. Most people even do not know about it.

mahbubH
November 4, 2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks thebest.... these things I wanted to write in my posts on this issue but my failure.

BANFAN
November 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
BANFAN,
you were wrong. attempts were made to make a Karachi team. But they fail to recruit enough Pakistani players. Please check Pak fans web site.
I would agree that calling Dhaka Cowards gadder uncalled for. But BCB did invest on them. So BCB has every right to do what ever way you like. BCB did not ban them playing cricket in Bangladesh; They just ban them in playing tournaments organized and approved by BCB. Many of you are doctor; But having an MBBS degree does not give you permission to practice every country of the world. You have to pass and fulfil the obligation of respective professional's association to practice in that country. In the same way, BCB is simply not recognizing their skill in playing cricket on any BCB approved tournament. I know Bangladesh Medical Association does not give permission of any doctor who passed from any USSR university and if I remember correctly even doctors who earned degree from Japanese school could not practice in Bangladesh. Did any doctor protest of this? I don't think so. Even some monthes ago one of Sk. Hasina's lawyer were refused permission by bar council to present her case. I remember there was little murmur but eventually every body agree with the decesion.

Thebest, instead of analyzing the situation you have situated the analysis. You got everything upside down.

Situation isn't that --- "India Has banned BD players to play in Indian Team, quiet different" If a medical student who has passed from DMC and completed all formalities he has the license to practice in BD. Even if he has gone to ME, EU or US for 20 years, he has it by default in BD. None can take it away.

But Unfortunately the medical example is quiet inappropriate as well. because it isn't mandatory for the cricketers to go through an acredited institute. If could be quiet natural ability. While a natural ability of a doctor is call Quack & never gets the license. One is entertainment & the other can endanger others life etc makes it uncomparable professions.

Do you know how much money government spends after a BUET student or a DU student? Why do they have the right to go abroad for Job? Even can you count the number of people went on Government scholarship abroad and didn't comeback after the study? Aren't these criminal act in comparison to playing ICL?

Regarding they were not getting enough money. Let me give an analogy from my personal life.By profession I am a public University Teacher. When I joined I knew there is little money by I accepted it. After the mush room growth of private universities some of my colleagues jumped to the other fence and some of them are engaged in part time job giving the reason I needed the money. I never teached in priavte university and hopefully never will. I have two arguments; first I knew from the beginning I would be in tight position financially; so why advent of private university would change the scenario and second private university is offering me not because of me but because of my affliation with the public university. Now take the scenario to Dhaka Cowards - they knew from the beginning if they can not top dog money would not be enough; ICL did not hire Aftab, HB or SN ; they hired player of Bangladesh team; I am still an HB fan but even in my wildest dream he is not a 20-20 player. BTW BCB with the exception of HB and Rafiq invested on each and every DC players. There rest of us differed as almost all cases the educational part is fully or partially financed by us; not some quasi-public organization. So did DC player repaid BCB the sum they invested on them with interest. I supported the ban because of political reason as it would potentiallly hinder Jamat's financing in election
Regarding the issue - I am all for free speech; And if you read my first post you would see I feel irritated the way government is trying to dictate my choice of watching channel. But free speech or freedom does not mean what ever and which ever I want to speak and do is permissible. I would urge fellow poster to read a short story by Bonoful name Shawdinota to understand what it mean.
Regarding popularity of DW - all is in the net. Very few actually watch it live and there is not an iota of protest that it has been banned to be telecast by Digonta. Most people even do not know about it.

Again, you have used an example emotionaly & inappropriately. Have the BD government banned those lecturers who has joined the private university? NO. Even they didn't have to leave their job in the university, while the govt University students are suffering, did the UGC/MOE take any action against them? NO. You aren't taking the advantage, I salute you. But 100s of them are doing something which is not legal. I know that they take the cover of a visiting professor's clause, but what they are doing that's far beyond visiting. If I stay in your house for years, I am a not a visitor after the 3rd day. So what they are doing is illegal but no action.

On the other side the ICL players are playing cricket while they aren't on any government payroll. They are ready to play for the domestic teams and also national team if sellected. But they are being chased like a dog. I know and you also know that, BCB isn't doing it out of patriotism, but to satisfy BCCI, unless they have patriarchical links with them.

We all know what's the reason and don't need to argue to prove them unpatriotic or innocent. Time will disgrace & take care of the wrong side by default.

thebest
November 5, 2008, 10:15 AM
Banfan ;
we can go on and on. and I would not take that route; Just explain me the following;
1.BCB did not ban them playing cricket in Bangladesh; They just ban them in playing tournaments organized and approved by BCB. and what is wrong with that? We fan and government recognize BCB national team as the representative of Bangladesh. If ICL is so much in love of Bangladesh why not ICL create their own league in Bnagladesh and their own Bangladesh team. There is legal precendece in India where BCCI attested to supreme court that Team India is not representing India but BCCI's team of India. ICL could create their own Bangladesh team and we fan would choose the better side. It is the fan who would give recognition of the representative Bangladesh team; not BCCI, not BCB or ICL.
BTW How that analogy is wrong? If you did not pass from a BMA accrediated school you can not practice medicine in Bangladesh; if BCB did not recognize their skill (Doctors of Japanese is surely doctor, unfortunaley BMA do not recognize them) so they can not play in BCB accredited tournament
2. BCB with the exception of HB and Rafiq invested on each and every DC players. However in our case our education is fully or partially financed by us; not by some quasi-public organization. BTW both You and I know why UGC/MoE could not take action against the socalled faculties of public university. There was even news on TV and paper that one of the VC of public university was working full time in private universiy.

Baundule
November 5, 2008, 10:47 AM
Anyone knows, if Stanford $20M and Hong Kong Super sixes are recognized by the ICC?

BANFAN
November 5, 2008, 12:13 PM
Banfan ;
we can go on and on. and I would not take that route; Just explain me the following;
1.BCB did not ban them playing cricket in Bangladesh; They just ban them in playing tournaments organized and approved by BCB. and what is wrong with that? We fan and government recognize BCB national team as the representative of Bangladesh. If ICL is so much in love of Bangladesh why not ICL create their own league in Bnagladesh and their own Bangladesh team. There is legal precendece in India where BCCI attested to supreme court that Team India is not representing India but BCCI's team of India. ICL could create their own Bangladesh team and we fan would choose the better side. It is the fan who would give recognition of the representative Bangladesh team; not BCCI, not BCB or ICL.

Just like someone can't create a BMA & banned by BMA means Banned in BD. Equally banned by BCB also implies banned in BD. Until there is a parallel created by someone. Yes, why don't NASA open a branch in BD if they want BD employees? Why don't Intel open one?

Fans have the right but they really don't have that scope. Has BCB asked anyone before banning them?

BTW How that analogy is wrong? If you did not pass from a BMA accrediated school you can not practice medicine in Bangladesh; if BCB did not recognize their skill (Doctors of Japanese is surely doctor, unfortunaley BMA do not recognize them) so they can not play in BCB accredated school.

Is there any system of getting trained in a BCB acredited instution? That's where it is different from a doc. A cricketer can be picked from the street and taken in the team if he is tallented. Imagine a cold blooded ROG KATA shibir cadre being picked by BMA as a surgeon for his skill & tallent !!

2. BCB with the exception of HB and Rafiq invested on each and every DC players. However in our case our education is fully or partially financed by us; not by some quasi-public organization. BTW both You and I why UGC/MoE could not take action againest the socalled faculties of public university. There was even news on TV and paper that one of the VC of public university was working full time in private universiy.

My friend, the money one pays in BUET/DU/DMC is a peanut in comparison to the expenses. It is just to give you a sense of participation only. Compare your tutions with a private university of same standard. Think of a cricketer how much he has to spend untill he gets noticed & taken into a payment system/training. Does a cricketer get all the money he needs to make himself a cricketer? It is only the national team who gets money on a regular basis, what about others?

Education gives you an assured career untill you retire at the age of 57 & for some profession it's until you die. What's the career span of a cricketer? He is giving his life in it & needs to earn as well to secure his life. When there is an opportunity why shouldn't he take it? He is still available for the national service but alas an educated person who goes abroad for earning money isn't even available for the national services.

Well, we can keep going possibly, let the time decide what will happen with them. Currently as a fan I enjoy watching cricket, so I watch them. I have no business calling them traitors as you also say that BCB doesn't decide on behalf of the nation. It is a private body & many others might comeup in course of time if that is an absolute necessity, be it ICL or BCL. if BCB doesn't change it's policies, alternatives are bound to come up. Rome wasn't built in a day, Lets wait for that time.

BANFAN
November 6, 2008, 01:57 AM
Anyone knows, if Stanford $20M and Hong Kong Super sixes are recognized by the ICC?

Yes, both are recognized by ICC

Sovik
November 6, 2008, 04:34 AM
you have to give it to our think tank. what was the reason for doing this?

cric crazy
November 8, 2008, 04:45 AM
Just like someone can't create a BMA & banned by BMA means Banned in BD. Equally banned by BCB also implies banned in BD. Until there is a parallel created by someone. Yes, why don't NASA open a branch in BD if they want BD employees? Why don't Intel open one?

Fans have the right but they really don't have that scope. Has BCB asked anyone before banning them?

Is there any system of getting trained in a BCB acredited instution? That's where it is different from a doc. A cricketer can be picked from the street and taken in the team if he is tallented. Imagine a cold blooded ROG KATA shibir cadre being picked by BMA as a surgeon for his skill & tallent !!

My friend, the money one pays in BUET/DU/DMC is a peanut in comparison to the expenses. It is just to give you a sense of participation only. Compare your tutions with a private university of same standard. Think of a cricketer how much he has to spend untill he gets noticed & taken into a payment system/training. Does a cricketer get all the money he needs to make himself a cricketer? It is only the national team who gets money on a regular basis, what about others?

Education gives you an assured career untill you retire at the age of 57 & for some profession it's until you die. What's the career span of a cricketer? He is giving his life in it & needs to earn as well to secure his life. When there is an opportunity why shouldn't he take it? He is still available for the national service but alas an educated person who goes abroad for earning money isn't even available for the national services.

Well, we can keep going possibly, let the time decide what will happen with them. Currently as a fan I enjoy watching cricket, so I watch them. I have no business calling them traitors as you also say that BCB doesn't decide on behalf of the nation. It is a private body & many others might comeup in course of time if that is an absolute necessity, be it ICL or BCL. if BCB doesn't change it's policies, alternatives are bound to come up. Rome wasn't built in a day, Lets wait for that time.

Very well argued BANFAN, you make some valid points.

Although I can understand the resentment being felt by people against the players for leaving, supporting or joining in a witch hunt against them is not going to benefit anyone.

We all need to unite and find a way to bring some of those players back in the international fold to provide some back bone to our national team.

I really believe that playing in the ICL has given these players a real belief that they are not inferior to anyone else and they CAN win.

That is why their batting has been a revelation. OK, some people will point out the Lahore Badshah match, but yes, they did lose badly, but that is because they went in to this match with the huge pressure of expectation to WIN and that is something they are not used to , but will get used to in time.