PDA

View Full Version : Rizwan Cheema

Dhurr
November 11, 2008, 01:13 AM
Why aren't we talking about this guy?

Cheema plays for the Canadian national team; he is of Pakistani descent and moved to Canada a few years ago. His nickname: "Boom-Boom Cheema."

Cheema is a big hitter and a very useful medium pacer. He has already scored two half-centuries in the 3 ODIs he has played, both coming against West Indies, and taken 4 wickets at an average of 19 and an ER of under 4.

He scored 89 against West Indies off just 69 deliveries, with 10 fours and 6 sixes, and then followed it up two days later with 61 off 45, with 8 fours and 3 sixes. He also scored a fifty in a Twenty-20 match against Sri Lanka, scoring 68 off 43 deliveries, with 4 fours and 6 sixes. Like I already mentioned, he is a very, very useful bowler who is both economical and causes a breakthrough often when necessary.

Can you imagine what a player like this would mean for Bangladesh? We are stuck with the Ashrafuls and fastobols, while his talent goes to waste in Canada. :(

Link to his cricinfo profile: http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/361952.html
Link to a cricinfo story about him: http://content-www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/376053.html

Dhurr
November 11, 2008, 01:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLqWTBPRZs

Clean hitting at its finest. This guy is more technically sound than 9 of the 11 players in our current ODI team.

AsifTheManRahman
November 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
His talent doesn't necessarily go to waste - associates need guys like him to move up the hierarchy.

ialbd
November 11, 2008, 02:37 PM
such a clean hitter of the ball...... so much power in those swings....

Nafi
November 11, 2008, 03:26 PM
Over-rate much, is this rizwan guy your cousin or something?

NEXT!

This guy is just a hard-hitting batsman who can slog half-volleys from medium pacers to the boundary on a flat pitch where the ball isnt swinging, even mashrafe can do that. Fair enough I saw a few good shots he played against zimbabwe, particurly the one where he smashed onto leg side.

THis guy cannot hit a ball that is on a good length or back of a length.

Yes he has some talent, he's a decent batsman, but guys like sakibul, ashraful, raqib and tamim are worth 5 times more.

You want to see amazing attacking shots, take a look at ashraful's 100 @ cardiff, or 92 against England.

And dhurr dont make me laugh at your comment, this guy isnt technically more correct than razzak. Atleast Razzak can do a pull shot.

Sovik
November 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
he's a big fish in a small pond. if he played good few matches against top level team eventually his weakness would have been exposed. ok, he has played couple of matches against Sri Lanka, West Indies and Pakistan but he was totally unknown at that time. Just look at Ricardo Powell.

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
November 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
he's a big fish in a small pond. if he played good few matches against top level team eventually his weakness would have been exposed. ok, he has played couple of matches against Sri Lanka, West Indies and Pakistan but he was totally unknown at that time. Just look at Ricardo Powell.

I totally agree with Sovik Sir. But at the same time I also wanna say that there is lesson for us. We should search the country for talent hunt. I still beleive that, There must be an extraordinary talent still playing in blind lane with "Tape tennis ball". we should find him.

Dhurr
November 11, 2008, 11:44 PM
His talent doesn't necessarily go to waste - associates need guys like him to move up the hierarchy.

I see him as another Tikolo... he would be much more famous if he played for a test team. I guess you're right, that he is helping his country win and that's important, but he'd be better served personally if he played for a test team.

such a clean hitter of the ball...... so much power in those swings....
Ekkebare khati kotha. That's what I've been trying to say. Bangladesh team er bolod gula aul foul hit kore, kintu clean hitter koita ase?

NEXT!

This guy is just a hard-hitting batsman who can slog half-volleys from medium pacers to the boundary on a flat pitch where the ball isnt swinging, even mashrafe can do that. Fair enough I saw a few good shots he played against zimbabwe, particurly the one where he smashed onto leg side.

Yes he has some talent, he's a decent batsman, but guys like sakibul, ashraful, raqib and tamim are worth 5 times more.

You want to see amazing attacking shots, take a look at ashraful's 100 @ cardiff, or 92 against England.

And dhurr dont make me laugh at your comment, this guy isnt technically more correct than razzak. Atleast Razzak can do a pull shot.

Na re, bhai. Cousin fousin na. Ei same pitch gula te kintu amader batsman ra o khelse, against some of the same opposition. How many of our batsmen played in a similar fashion?

Did you watch the video I linked to? He wasn't just hitting medium pacers; he was hitting everyone all over the place, including Mendis, the same Mendis that is gonna make our boys cry next month. Let's do a ban bet: if one of our boys can go hit Mendis in the same fashion this guy did, I will be permanently banned from BC; if not even one of them can, you get permanently banned.

I am suggesting a bet this one-sided in your favor because that's how confident I am of our batsmen's inability to cleanly strike the ball. This guy is way, way, way better than Ashraful, even if he drops off from the international scene right now. Ashraful has been given 130+ ODIs and 40+ tests (probably a lot more but I don't feel like checking) and what has he shown us? That he's consistently inconsistent; jhore bok more, fokir er keramoti bare: that's Ashraful in a nutshell.

Good point. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I brought up this guy because no one in BC mentioned him, and I know BCers love those big hits.

I totally agree with Sovik Sir. But at the same time I also wanna say that there is lesson for us. We should search the country for talent hunt. I still beleive that, There must be an extraordinary talent still playing in blind lane with "Tape tennis ball". we should find him.

Agreed. We should keep the talent hunt going.

Razi
November 12, 2008, 01:51 AM

NEXT!

You've said it all Nafi bhai, couldn't have said any better myself. He is simply way too overrated, cause those were just simply lifeless pitches in Canada, no bounce and swing whatsoever. And about Dhurr bhai's comment on our players playing Mendis, I do agree with him that Mendis certainly gonna make our boys cry, but I'm also sure that this Rizan Cheema won't be able to score in double figures if he plays Mendis in the sub-continental soil or in a sporting wicket anywhere in the world, let alone hitting him in the same fashion as he did in Canada. Some of his shots were good, but most of them were just pure slogs all over the ground, I bet that our Mash can do the same in those pitches if not better.

Mridul
November 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
This guy knows how to hit. This past summer I got to officiate one match where he was playing. I heard his name before but never saw him. When he came to bat he went out cheaply after chasing a wide delivery. There was a slight nick and I was sure enough to give him out. But the reaction of the bowler and other players afer he got out was such as if they won the match.

Anyway I still have to see his boom boom batting live. Probably next summer, i'll get a chance to see his batting live.

His bowling is also pretty descent. He oppend the bowling and got three wickets in that match. He is a medium fast bowler and always maintain a good line and length.

If this guy gets proper coaching he can single-handedly thrash teams like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Ireland.

AsifTheManRahman
November 12, 2008, 09:54 PM
Let's hope he doesn't get proper coaching then. Mridul bhai, you should have him banned come summer. :)

riad
January 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
I hope you will keep ur word ...:-D [just kiddin']
did u see nayeem islam's hit today ????? of Mendis!!!!

hv fun.
go bd

...... Na re, bhai. Cousin fousin na. Ei same pitch gula te kintu amader batsman ra o khelse, against some of the same opposition. How many of our batsmen played in a similar fashion?

Did you watch the video I linked to? He wasn't just hitting medium pacers; he was hitting everyone all over the place, including Mendis, the same Mendis that is gonna make our boys cry next month. Let's do a ban bet: if one of our boys can go hit Mendis in the same fashion this guy did, I will be permanently banned from BC; if not even one of them can, you get permanently banned.

I am suggesting a bet this one-sided in your favor because that's how confident I am of our batsmen's inability to cleanly strike the ball. This guy is way, way, way better than Ashraful, even if he drops off from the international scene right now. Ashraful has been given 130+ ODIs and 40+ tests (probably a lot more but I don't feel like checking) and what has he shown us? That he's consistently inconsistent; jhore bok more, fokir er keramoti bare: that's Ashraful in a nutshell.

Agreed. We should keep the talent hunt going.

RazabQ
January 14, 2009, 06:33 PM
Some people have elephantine memories!

Dhurr
January 15, 2009, 01:50 AM
I hope you will keep ur word ...:-D [just kiddin']
did u see nayeem islam's hit today ????? of Mendis!!!!

hv fun.
go bd
No one accepted the bet then. After the fact, now you want in? LOL Let's go ask Vegas if they will let me bet on last year's Superbowl.

karimjay.
January 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
dhurr got away with a close one in my opinion :D

RazabQ
January 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
Dhurr, while you escape on a technicality, at least accept that you were wrong :)

Dhurr
January 16, 2009, 06:45 AM
Dhurr, while you escape on a technicality

Not a technicality. There can't be a bet when no one accepts it and when there is no time line or condition or no losing side. For a bet to happen, there has to be the possibility of either side losing. In this case, there was only one side, mine. No one accepted the bet, so there was no other side. So it wasn't a technicality.

at least accept that you were wrong :)Absolutely. I was wrong, and yes, am glad I was wrong. This is a win-win bet for me, and I wish someone had accepted it. Any time our boys can prove me wrong, and actually make me proud, I am all for it.

mijanur
January 17, 2009, 07:21 AM
he can hit better then all bd players