PDA

View Full Version : Islam in the world post 9/11

Zobair
November 22, 2003, 09:05 PM
I think this should be an interesting topic.

To start of things here is an interview transcript from an interview of Sheikh Hamzah Yusuf on BBC. Sheikh Hamzah (an American Convert) is one of the most influential and knowledgeable scholars in North America, and porbably the world.

Transcript

Frank Gardner:
Hello, I'm Frank Gardner. Welcome to this forum on Islam post 9/11. Today we're discussing whether or not Islam has been hurt by a perceived association with terrorism in the Western media since 9/11. A report out today warns that al-Qaeda has grown in power over the last two years - more than 350 people have been killed in attacks linked to the Islamic militant group. Of course, the vast majority of Muslims are peace loving people and abhor such attacks. But has the faith been tarnished by the terrorist brush? Our guest today is Sheikh Hamza Yusuf Hanson, founder of the Zaytuna Institute in California. He has advised both the White House and the Arab League on Islam, and is an outspoken advocate of better understanding between the Muslim world and the West.

We've got a number of fascinating e-mails today. But before we go into these, let's just clarify something in my mind. Sheikh Hamza, how do you balance, how do you justify this controversy? You are an American and you are Muslim. You are part of a nation that is seen by many in the Arab world as being enemy of Muslims and you talk to President Bush. How do you balance all of these?

Hamza Yusuf:
I think it's really important that people distinguish between this idea of personifying America - America, like England, like Saudi Arabia, like any other country has many, many different viewpoints and different understandings and that's part of what supposedly we're supposed to pride ourselves in the West about having dissident opinions and diversity. So I would just say that we can't say that the American opinion is one opinion, it's not. There's a lot of dissent and the Muslims in particular have a great deal of dissent with foreign policy - American foreign policy and that does not negate the fact that they're Americans. ....

For the rest click here (http://www.therevival.co.uk/articles/islam_post_911.htm)

Arnab
November 23, 2003, 12:35 AM
I didn't read the whole thing. Read about halfway. But I agree with most, if not all the things he said. Eloquent and rational responses.

Edit: OK I have read the whole thing. It's awesome. This interview should be a must read for all the cynical people in the West. I agree with him almost word by word...even if I don't believe in radical/ moderate/classical Islam and other such meaningless labels.

[Edited on 23-11-2003 by Arnab]

Zobair
November 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
Today, I attended an excellent Eid Khutba.
Amongst the many insightful things that the Khatib said (he is an exceptionally brilliant young man and its a privelege knowing him!), one was to do with our state as Muslims. Paraphrasing, he said, "some amongst us are yearning to take over a modern (muslim) state (with all its organs including the capacity to use torture and violence) and establish an islamic state on it. I say we are not ready for such an action yet unfortunately. What do we think? We will take over, put sharia in place, chop off a few hands, stone a few for adultery and enforce hijab?! And the next day we are living in an Islamic state! Who are we kidding?! Now there is corruption, widespread poverty, oppression of men and women and children in our societies, we will only add chopping, and stoning to it! Instead we should focus on building an Islamic society and that starts with each of us living our lifes as Muslims. Be truthful, honest, establish prayers, follow the sunnat of the Prophet- learn about this man and how he lived his life...I mean really learn...did you know the prophet always wore a gentle smile on his face...nowadays...we Muslims...look stern...and go we are Muslims....we believe in strict things n' all and we are all stern and no smiling and laughing :)...did you know that your neighbours (upto 7 of them on either side) have certain rights to varying degrees on you...I don't...we have to live our lives as Muslims and the islamic state will come to be on its own..."

so there I shared a bit of what I thought was an excellent excellent insightful speech...I wish I could recount the whole thing

Shubho
November 25, 2003, 10:09 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the notion of building an Islamic society rather than an Islamic state. The former should always precede the latter. And I salute any Khatib who discusses these things. Thank you, Pompous, for posting this.

Nowadays, most khutbas are the same bullcrap diatribe against western politics and western culture, or some fruitless debate about Islam is 'superior' to other religions, or stories about how we should wage jihad.

It helps that some people can actually discuss things that are important and relevant. Most Muslims have no idea how to do that.

acker
November 26, 2003, 12:54 AM
The events of 9/11 were a throwback to a bygone way of retribution ( 150 years ago ) . Al queeda could have inflicted a cyber attack on American business / fianancial institutions picked up some great and positive press and raely became a popular uprising rather than the depicted sour unpopular mob they are now;)

chinaman
November 26, 2003, 12:57 AM
acker, Eid mubarak and welcome to the board. Hope you will enjoy our company.

Zobair
December 9, 2003, 10:04 PM
here is a link to our university's (McGill) MSA page with audio of the latest speeches by Islamic scholars who have visited the university. There are some excellent excellent and interesting speeches on various topics of current significance.

If you have the time make sure to check it out and listen to the speeches.

msa special events audio (http://ssmu.mcgill.ca/msa/halaqas.php?page=audio&type=special&version=)

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by pompous]