PDA

View Full Version : Ponting to succeed Waugh

oracle
November 28, 2003, 09:50 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3245270.stm

No big deal because,

-Ponting has received a one-day side so fine tuned that he only has to do his orchestra manouvering on field and they just do it.
-He does not make any really hard decisions or battle through any tough periods.
He will succeed but Waugh-like successes will be challenged by another up and coming team. Don't want to name that mystery team but I am waiting for a series to finish and then will declare.

However, for australia it is business as usual if Ponting continues the competent examples of leadership he has already shown in the one-day arena. However, cricket is cyclical, and Australia is overdue for some downtime.

-Australia must replace the key players it has already lost, or will likely lose, or will miss due to injury or other reasons - Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and Jason Gillespie.

chinaman
November 28, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by oracle

However, cricket is cyclical, and Australia is overdue for some downtime.
Just as we are long overdue for some uptime.

What are the chances?

Zobair
November 28, 2003, 11:28 AM
Lemme guess oracle...your second most fav team is India...wait...did you say that somewhere already...:-/

oracle
November 28, 2003, 11:35 AM
Lemme guess oracle...your second most fav team is India...wait...did you say that somewhere already

My feeling is India will do well in the next few years unless Ponting has other ideas.
No, my 2nd fave has always been England.

Zobair
November 28, 2003, 12:02 PM
India has a lot of potential for sure...and they are getting more and more professional by the day...whoever challenges the Aussies have to as professional and committed as them...