PDA

View Full Version : Zim at Kenya

Tigers_eye
January 23, 2009, 11:03 AM
I know not very many members will be interest in this series yet this is a significant series for both teams. The 5 ODI match series will be held in Kenya. As host they will have the upper hand. However, we have seen Zim upclose and personal. What do you guys think? Some Bd fans already suggested Zim batting is better than BD (I only smile at them).

If Kenya some how manage to win the series 3-2 they will topple Zim in rankings. If they win 4-1 they will even go past Ireland and become 10. On the other hand, Zim must win 3-2 to maintain their standings. If they can manage 4-1 or 5-0 then they will go past Ireland. Is Tikolo still the king of non-test playing nations? Or his age has caught up. Last time we saw him playing in our domestic cricket he was still a good cricket player.

Would like to know others view on this series. What do you guys think may happen? Who are the #2 team in Africa? For bragging rights!!

Nadim
January 23, 2009, 12:23 PM
i think Zim will win the series by 5-0 or 4-1........also kenya got some gd players(Tikolo,Odoyo, Walter etc)

mijanur
January 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
i think Zim will win the series by 5-0 or 4-1........also kenya got some gd players(Tikolo,Odoyo, Walter etc)

same thats wat i think aswell

cricket_king
January 23, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'd say Zimabwe hands down. Kenya played quite poorly against a Ugandan side recently, though they probably will have the home advantage.

zainab
January 24, 2009, 06:45 AM
Will Zim get an automatic place in the 2011 WC seeing that they are a full member of the ICC?
I dont know how this works. Is it that all associate members have to fight for one of the spots?
Kenya has been a good team, they reached the final 4 in one of the World Cups and they have beaten BD many times, but they have deteriorated recently. Hope that they can bounce back and secure a place in the 2011 WC. There are so many good associate teams fighting for a place.
Afghanistan is also a good team which is progressing well and Hong Kong and the UAE are playing well too. It will be exciting to see which 4 teams win the spots.

ausbangfan
January 24, 2009, 10:45 PM
Will Zim get an automatic place in the 2011 WC seeing that they are a full member of the ICC?
I dont know how this works. Is it that all associate members have to fight for one of the spots?
Kenya has been a good team, they reached the final 4 in one of the World Cups and they have beaten BD many times, but they have deteriorated recently. Hope that they can bounce back and secure a place in the 2011 WC. There are so many good associate teams fighting for a place.
Afghanistan is also a good team which is progressing well and Hong Kong and the UAE are playing well too. It will be exciting to see which 4 teams win the spots.

yes

- i reckon Zimbabwe will win 4-1 or 3-2

al Furqaan
January 24, 2009, 11:11 PM
kenya absolutely thrashed zim earlier this year.

but zim have shown they can compete with better sides. i expect zimbabwe to win at least 4-1. kenya only hope to win one game.

kenya nearly lost to uganda earlier this month. they aren't even a WC qualifying calibre team anymore. the loss of tanmay mishra for another couple years will hurt them bad.

Murad
January 25, 2009, 12:29 AM
the loss of tanmay mishra for another couple years will hurt them bad.

What happened to Tanmoy Mishra? He quit?

nycpro96
January 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
either 5-0 zim or 4-1 zim

Ajfar
January 25, 2009, 08:51 PM

Cricinfo can reveal Tanmay Mishra was left out of the Kenya squad for the matches against Canada because he was unable to attend training sessions.
Mumbai-born Mishra, 20, was absent because he is preparing to travel to India where he will attend university for the next three years. This will limit his availability for the national squad although it is still expected that he will be able to play in some major matches.
Mishra was heralded as one of the brightest young talents when he broke into the national side in 2004-05. In 12 first-class matches he has scored 659 runs at 32.95 and in 28 ODIs he has made 698 runs at 31.72.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/kenya/content/story/316025.html

sbsash
January 25, 2009, 09:17 PM
Zim 4-1.Zim's bowling is really good.The batters need to step up a little.

MohammedC
January 25, 2009, 09:45 PM
Dont right off Kenya. Wait and see. There will be more excitement than we would realise.

Watch out for S Waters who plays for Surrey 2nd squad

al Furqaan
January 26, 2009, 09:43 AM

he's going to school in india. hopefully he comes back to the team. waters and mishra can be for kenya what tikolo and odumbe were back in the day.

ausbangfan
January 27, 2009, 03:02 AM
Zimbabwe owning at the moment- 81/0 off 14

zimfan
January 27, 2009, 03:09 AM
hey guys great start by the boys here lets target 300

i am concerned that taibu isnt playing

sandpiper
January 27, 2009, 03:19 AM
wow! Masakadza is having a heyday here :clap:

nzfan
January 27, 2009, 03:25 AM
Sibanda undoing all the great work Mazakadza is doing

sandpiper
January 27, 2009, 03:31 AM
So the 100 partnership is broken at last, but still 300 is a possibility, I guess.

sandpiper
January 27, 2009, 03:58 AM
50 for Sibanda, although turtle-paced; runrate has fallen sharply

yaseer
January 27, 2009, 04:23 AM
164/3 after 37

ZIM is doing well....they also have a decent bowling attack.....225+ score may going to enough to restrict Kenya i think.

zimfan
January 27, 2009, 05:16 AM
chigumbura is our savior here he is going beserk

nzfan
January 27, 2009, 05:21 AM
Zimbabwe need to improve on this test match style batting, 41 run partnership off 2 overs just won't cut it

nzfan
January 27, 2009, 05:26 AM
When Sibanda got out the scvore was 188 off 41.3 overs its 301 off 49, I wish I could of watched that batting

zimfan
January 27, 2009, 10:05 AM
look was a good win but utseyas tactics baffled me why did he bowl himself and debengwa for so long?

on the plus side a good debut from creamer most Zimbabwe fans relay rate this guy

we have to win this series 5-0 no other result will do

sandpiper
January 27, 2009, 10:09 AM
Congrats on easy win. Hope the tourists make it a clean sweep.

al Furqaan
January 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
did chiggy get a faster 50 than ash's 21 ball exploit against england? i wonder...

cremer was a debutant??? didn't know that.

zimbabwe seems to have some real potential now.

smashyboy
January 27, 2009, 12:19 PM
Zimbabwe is going to take part in Indian domestic tournaments regularly next year on. They will have more competitive matches.

sandpiper
January 27, 2009, 12:22 PM
And Kenya will have to play ICC trophy to qualify for the next world cup.

al Furqaan
January 27, 2009, 06:41 PM
Some Bd fans already suggested Zim batting is better than BD (I only smile at them).

ZIM batting is not nearly as high-potential as our batting, they don't have technical skill or stroke play that our batsman have. but one thing is certain, the stats prove that they are very equal to us.

of course in head to head matches it hasn't been close of late, but thats just cuz our bowling attack is far stronger than zimbabwe's. the best thing is to see how BD batsman have faired against top 8 teams, and the same with zimbabwe's batsman. and the stats do surprise.

zim batsman have more big scores against top 8 batsman than we have (13-11 advantage, IIRC) since 2008. big score being defined as 70 or more runs.

in terms of top player averages, we are marginally ahead.

our batsman's strike rates are also not much better, and in fact quite a bit worse. although i disagree with spitfire about why our ODI SR is ranked 10th out of 10, even with "stroke playing" batsman. and the reason is that our batsman lack all balance. in the siddons era, they have often batted in test mode due to loss of early wickets at the top of the order in a effort to bat 50 overs. they have INTENTIONALL lowered the SR. of course it only serves to highlight the overall problem which is our opening troubles, the continuance of ashraful batting in spots where he sucks at (relatively speaking), et al.

in conclusion, zim batting is not better than ours, but the stats prove that they are.

nzfan
January 27, 2009, 07:23 PM
ZIM batting is not nearly as high-potential as our batting, they don't have technical skill or stroke play that our batsman have. but one thing is certain, the stats prove that they are very equal to us.

of course in head to head matches it hasn't been close of late, but thats just cuz our bowling attack is far stronger than zimbabwe's. the best thing is to see how BD batsman have faired against top 8 teams, and the same with zimbabwe's batsman. and the stats do surprise.

zim batsman have more big scores against top 8 batsman than we have (13-11 advantage, IIRC) since 2008. big score being defined as 70 or more runs.

in terms of top player averages, we are marginally ahead.

our batsman's strike rates are also not much better, and in fact quite a bit worse. although i disagree with spitfire about why our ODI SR is ranked 10th out of 10, even with "stroke playing" batsman. and the reason is that our batsman lack all balance. in the siddons era, they have often batted in test mode due to loss of early wickets at the top of the order in a effort to bat 50 overs. they have INTENTIONALL lowered the SR. of course it only serves to highlight the overall problem which is our opening troubles, the continuance of ashraful batting in spots where he sucks at (relatively speaking), et al.

in conclusion, zim batting is not better than ours, but the stats prove that they are.

In recent times the score is 2-2 the teams are quite evenly matched

cricket_king
January 27, 2009, 08:20 PM
Woah that was a creaming. Chigumbura annihilated Kenya. 7 sixes! :o

sandpiper
January 29, 2009, 02:37 AM
Well, the visitors won the toss and chose to bat first in the second match at the port city Mombasa.

sandpiper
January 29, 2009, 02:55 AM
Masakadza trapped leg before for 23. Better start for the home team.

yaseer
January 29, 2009, 03:16 AM
ZIM batting well in the 2nd match also.......
70/1.......after 15 overs

sandpiper
January 29, 2009, 03:36 AM
Well set Sibanda run out for 41 as the Zimbabweans lose second wicket

yaseer
January 29, 2009, 04:51 AM
Matsikenyeri may score a century here.......70 not out

mahbubH
January 29, 2009, 05:50 AM
49.4 Tikolo to Chigumbura, FOUR, slogged over deep midwicket into the tree within the ground and four runs given

That is quite rare for a official ODI.

zimfan
January 29, 2009, 05:54 AM
great score 350/7 thats zimbabwe highest ever score

bad news is that sean wiliams looks set to quit zimbabwe AGAIN

nzfan
January 29, 2009, 05:58 AM
Who was it that made a massive post about the zimbabwe batsmen being crap? They clearly did not know what they were talking about(coughalfurquaancoughcough)

Doesnt matter who the opposition is 350 is an awesome score against anyone

mahbubH
January 29, 2009, 06:03 AM
bad news is that sean wiliams looks set to quit zimbabwe AGAIN
I did not read that anywhere. Why is he leaving?

cricket_king
January 29, 2009, 06:06 AM
Holy freaking cow! CHIGUMBURA IS PSYCHO. Wish we had a big hitter like him down the order. :(

Sovik
January 29, 2009, 07:00 AM
chigumbura is a beast. great asset for Zimbabwe. Tikolo is leading the run chase. he is one of the best batsmen who would never play a test match

al Furqaan
January 29, 2009, 08:20 AM
Who was it that made a massive post about the zimbabwe batsmen being crap? They clearly did not know what they were talking about(coughalfurquaancoughcough)

Doesnt matter who the opposition is 350 is an awesome score against anyone

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wcl/engine/match/347950.html

i may not know what i am talking about, but i can read english at least.

perhaps you should take my post and have it read to you and you might get the crux of my post. i stand by every word since i was neither drunk retarded or blazed when i typed it.

zimbabwean batsman are quite crappy indeed, and when you have my post read, you'll learn that i stated, in no uncertain terms, that bangladeshi batsman are even crappier. which did come as a surprise to me given tamim and sakib's relative form over the past year.

just as an aside, zim's batting average in their 4 matches against BD stood a whopping 17.45 per wicket. their bowling average (our batting) average was 20.57.

compare zimbabwe's batting average with that of new zealand, the next weakest batting outfit, which was 26.48 for their BD tour, and you will see how poor those numbers are. south africa's batting average for their 2008 BD tour was a measley 72.28 runs per wicket.

just a few numbers highlighting the point that their batting is still pretty meek.

Tigers_eye
January 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
Steve Tikolo is still better than Ash. Dang!!! What's his age now? 60?

MohammedC
January 31, 2009, 09:07 AM
Kenya V Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe need 86 from 11.4 overs to win the series. Kenya fighting well to keep the series alive

MohammedC
January 31, 2009, 09:10 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=603 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>38.4</TD><TD width="100%">Kamande to Chigumbura, OUT, breakthrough, the one they wanted, flighted and turned and beats him and he is given </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Now it will be all Kenya.

MohammedC
January 31, 2009, 09:25 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Current partnership </TD><TD>32 runs, 2.5 overs, RR: 11.29</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think I spoke a bit too early

battye
January 31, 2009, 11:45 AM
And Zimbabwe win thanks to 68 not out from Utseya and a little cameo of 38 not out by the new keeper Forster Mutizwa.

sandpiper
January 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
Current Kenyan side is sorely missing the kind of performers like Maurice Odumbe, Hitesh Modi, Asif Karim and Suji brothers. I wonder they might even find it difficult to qualify for world cup once Tikolo and Otieno retires. Kudos to Zimbabwe on their series win, altough it was not a mere walk in a park as the previous two.

Miraz
January 31, 2009, 12:17 PM
And Zimbabwe win thanks to 68 not out from Utseya and a little cameo of 38 not out by the new keeper Forster Mutizwa.

What happened to Taibu? Problem again?

battye
January 31, 2009, 12:19 PM
He allegedly assaulted the head of finance at Zimbabwe Cricket, it was said that he manhandled the lady because ZC didn't pay for his family's trip to Pakistan after they said they would. I think he has a court hearing some time around now, so he is probably back in Zimbabwe preparing for that.

BANFAN
January 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
Steve Tikolo is still better than Ash. Dang!!! What's his age now? 60?

Ha ha ha :) :)

His grand children will inherit his place soon, in that case.

zimfan
February 1, 2009, 06:52 AM
looks like another win in the 4th odi, utseya batting has been really good this series

sandpiper
February 1, 2009, 10:01 AM
Tourists made it 4-0 straightaway, its quite a lop-sided affair between two African rivals.

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 02:29 AM
Kenya won the toss in the fifth match and decided to bat. They've got a nice start so far.

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 02:33 AM
Kenya 40/0
eight over in progress

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 02:41 AM
Masakadza trapped danger man in his very first over and Kenya loses Otieno

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 02:45 AM
50 up in the 10th over

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 03:08 AM
Waters gave a return catch to Price and Kenya 2 down

Murad
February 4, 2009, 03:12 AM
Now 3 down. Masa takes another.

Poor batting from Ken.

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 03:25 AM
Price took his second wicket as the tourists turned the table

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 04:00 AM
so, it is six down and the hosts facing the song

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 04:49 AM
A very important seventh wicket partnership gave the hosts some hope of putting a sizeable total

zimfan
February 4, 2009, 05:06 AM
looks like another win, we have a 4 match series against Canada in march another white wash there and we will be showing improvement from last year

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 05:08 AM
Cremer took his third as the hosts crumble again towards the end

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 05:10 AM
Obuya playing some brave shots

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 05:13 AM
wow , this guy has gone nuts

Kenya eyeing 200 now

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 05:15 AM
Some flurries of wickets, then came the thundering attack on Chigumbura. Kenya 198/9, 2 overs to go.

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 05:21 AM
Cremer picked number 4 as the Kenyans folded for 199. Was a nice display of batsmanship by Collins Obuiya.

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
It was a complete rout at the end. Tourist won in all three departments. Their batting was way better than the Kenyan side. Congratulations to zimfan :clap:
I guess this Zimbabwe side is learning fast and can become a nicely balanced outfit by next world cup.

zimfan
February 5, 2009, 08:52 AM
cheers sandpiper

been a good series and i feel that Zimbabwe can progress from here providing we dont loose any more players

Tigers_eye
February 5, 2009, 11:23 AM
Very well done Zimbabwe. I thought Kenya would put up a fight but they need change. The old ones can't carry them anymore. Hats of to Steve T for a fine career. It is time to say goodbye and become the coach for Kenya.

Congrats Zim for the excellent performance. Chigumbura has hit highest number (12) of sixes this year. Though IPL is about to start. I am sure UV, dhoni, Shewag will be on the top (cause they are almost playing twice as the other Intl players. Hope burnout do not happen.