PDA

View Full Version : 12 Bangladeshis in IPL auction

abu2abu
January 29, 2009, 11:50 AM
112 players in second IPL auction

Cricinfo staff

January 29, 2009

The IPL has announced an exhaustive list of 112 overseas players who will be considered for the second auction in Goa on February 6. Not surprisingly, Australians dominate the list (27) while the big difference from last year's edition is the addition of 21 England players.

Each franchise has a maximum of US$2m to spend on their overseas signings in the auction, which gets underway on February 6, and it is likely that only about 16 players - or two per franchise - will be chosen out of the 112.

The England players will be available for a three-week window in the tournament for the next two years, with Kevin Pietersen the star attraction. Pietersen has a base price of US$1.3 million, and it is expected that he could be the highest paid player. Veterans like Dominic Cork and Darren Gough also figure in the list.

"We are extremely happy with the interest the league has garnered globally," said Lalit Modi, the IPL commissioner, "and look forward to the action at the second player auction in Goa."

List of players for second auction

Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Mark Cameron, Peter Forrest, Lee Carseldine, Doug Bowler, Michael Dighton, Jason Krejza, Nathan Reardon, Chris Hartley, Shaun Tait, Ashley Noffke, Bryce McGain, George Bailey, Travis Birt, Michael Hill, Chris Swan, Michael Klinger, Ben Edmondson, Aiden Blizzard, Mark Cosgrove, Adam Voges, Shane Harwood

England: Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Steve Harmison, Ravi Bopara, Monty Panesar, Robert Key, James Foster, Tyron Henderson, Sajid Mahmood, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Shaun Udal, Darren Gough, Ryan Sidebottom, Graeme Swann, Luke Wright, James Anderson, Ed Joyce, Dominic Cork

Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Rajin Saleh, Ziaur Rehman, Mahmudullah, Mushfiqur Rahim, Raqibul Hasan, Nadif Chowdhury

New Zealand: Mark Gillespie, Tim Southee, Jesse Ryder, Jeetan Patel, Kyle Mills, Chris Martin, Jamie How, Peter Fulton, James Franklin

Pakistan: Asim Kamal, Mohammad Hafeez, Yasir Hameed, Danish Kaneria, Yasir Arafat

South Africa: Gulam Bodi, Rory Kleinveldt, Charl Langeveldt, Ashwell Prince, JP Duminy, Martin van Jaarsveld, Roelof van der Merwe, Andre Nel, Neil McKenzie, Yusuf Abdullah, Paul Harris, Johan Botha, Morne van Wyk

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Mahela Udawatte, Dammika Prasad, Thilina Kandamby, Kaushalya Weeraratne, Jehan Mubarak, Dilhara Lokuhettige, Malinga Bandara, Malinda Warnapura, Michael Vandort, Prasanna Jayawardene, Upul Tharanga, Kaushal Lokuarachchi, Jeevantha Kulatunga

West Indies Sylvester Joseph, Darren Sammy, Andre Fletcher, Kieron Pollard, Kieran Powell, Fidel Edwards, Dwayne Smith, Kemar Roach

Zimbabwe Vusi Sibanda

Including Rajin Saleh and Nadif Chowdhury! Have they seen Rajin bat? Hardly T20 material...

abu2abu
January 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
And here's the source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/388320.html

Also worth noting, Tyron Henerson plays county cricket in England but is actually South African.

rattlehead
January 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
16 out of 112. looking at those australian and english names, now i have real doubts if even shakib can make the cut

rattlehead
January 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
not to mention the new south african stars

Rainman
January 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
16 out of 112. looking at those australian and english names, now i have real doubts if even shakib can make the cut

What do you mean? I thought theere were 12 BD players on the list...

rattlehead
January 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
What do you mean? I thought theere were 12 BD players on the list...

a total of 16 players will be chosen out of the 112 to be bought this season.

rattlehead
January 29, 2009, 12:13 PM
Each franchise has a maximum of US$2m to spend on their overseas signings in the auction, which gets underway on February 6, and it is likely that only about 16 players - or two per franchise - will be chosen out of the 112.

Rainman
January 29, 2009, 12:16 PM

I see.

I still think our players have a good chance, England and South African players are likely to cost more, BD players will be relatively cheap. If teams are looking to consolidate as Lalit Modi has been hinting, then I wouldn't be surprised if there are more BD players than English ones! Call me optimistic!

Rabz
January 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sakib will make it, Mash should but probably wont, Ash and Tamim should be kicking their own back for not grabbing the chance.

IMO, those IPL fellas would snatch Ash at any available opportunity, its only that Ash himself is giving them enough reasons atm not to. All his own doing.

mijanur
January 29, 2009, 12:43 PM
shakib inshallah will made it. hope mash makes it aswell coz he has been smacking

Russell2k7
January 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
I see.

I still think our players have a good chance, England and South African players are likely to cost more, BD players will be relatively cheap. If teams are looking to consolidate as Lalit Modi has been hinting, then I wouldn't be surprised if there are more BD players than English ones! Call me optimistic!

Which is why BD players will give their wickets cheaply as well.

Niceman70
January 29, 2009, 01:01 PM
"We will definitely play an active role in helping them out," Modi said. "We are looking at adding a few [Bangladesh] players for the next IPL auction. And we are also looking at a team from Bangladesh participating in the Champions League from 2010 onwards."

so I am expecting 1 or 2 players will be playing.

sourcehttp://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/370205.html

Zeeshan
January 29, 2009, 01:02 PM
Who the hell are these Ziaur Rahman and Nadif Chowdhury? Kisher vitre ki...

Niceman70
January 29, 2009, 01:14 PM
nadif is well known but don know about ziaur.. maybe he is good at 20/20.

mijanur
January 29, 2009, 01:32 PM
ziaur rahman a top class bowler

Megh
January 29, 2009, 01:38 PM

be sure about it if only one gonna selected, that would be Shakib. and he deserves it. above all his lucky charm is still on. IPL team managements are looking for all-rounders more than just a bowler or batsman. so from this point of view Shakib is the best choice as he is on the top of the ladder. he has batter chances to be selected.

Megh
January 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Who the hell are these Ziaur Rahman and Nadif Chowdhury? Kisher vitre ki...

these 2 players did really good in the domestic arena for like 2/3 years. they are upcoming sensation of BD cricket. i hope they are gonna do well in international arena as well.

cric crazy
January 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
IMO, those IPL fellas would snatch Ash at any available opportunity, its only that Ash himself is giving them enough reasons atm not to. All his own doing.

You've hit the nail on the head. Absolutely spot on.

If only Mr "talented" Ashraful carried his brains in his head instead of his a**, the world could have been his oyster. sigh...

brockley
January 29, 2009, 01:58 PM
I only see shakib getting signed up.
Maybe mortaza.
But if pakistani players pull out of IPL it gives bangladeshi players further opportunity.

crikfreak
January 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
even tho chances r slim.. i think sakib will make it.. i hope mash does as well... he really deserves it... but chances of tht are not so good.. lets c wat happens.. as 4 me..i just pray...

Fazal
January 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
I am hoping and praying...please some one (in IPL) take Ash... please !!!!

So that I say .... "sucker!!!!!"

Ash is our trozan horse for IPL.

Mohamedan learned it hrad way.... our national team never learned at all.....I am hoping one the IPL team will fall under the same trap.

betaar
January 29, 2009, 02:27 PM
But if pakistani players pull out of IPL it gives bangladeshi players further opportunity.

I don't think there's any special quota for Muslim cricketers? BD players have to be good enough to be picked.

sadi
January 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
Its just a list to make BCB happy. Most of the names won't be even mentioned in their internal meeting.

Murad
January 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
Only Shakib, Mash and Ash deserve to be in that list.
Tamim doesn't deserve to be in that list. His strike rat is in 80's.(T20 SR).

But Only SHakib will get it (most likely).

Tigers_eye
January 29, 2009, 02:56 PM
Its just a list to make BCB happy. Most of the names won't be even mentioned in their internal meeting.
:up: Post of the week. May be post of the month.

And just imagine how silly BCB is not to understand this.

Ajfar
January 29, 2009, 03:20 PM
:up: Post of the week. May be post of the month.

And just imagine how silly BCB is not to understand this.

bcb bolbe dekho dekho ektaw indian player er naam nai ar amader barota player er naam amra koto unnoti korechi

Beamer
January 29, 2009, 03:20 PM
Rajin Saleh!! That name alone would make them ( IPL guys ) discard the entire list..

Mahmood
January 29, 2009, 03:38 PM
What a farce...

nycpro96
January 29, 2009, 03:46 PM
rajin saleh :lol:

arifbd
January 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
rajin saleh sucks. he's is horible, he isnt even preforming well in domestic cricket.

arifbd
January 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
only SHakib will make it and maybe Mashrafe. and cheaper teams will pick the probably other ones and take a chance with Ash and Tamim

nycpro96
January 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
shakib deserves a contract and so duz mash from recent performances
if the ipl draft took place 3 months ago tamim would be automatic

BANFAN
January 29, 2009, 04:17 PM
112 players in second IPL auction

.................................................. .................................................. ..
Including Rajin Saleh and Nadif Chowdhury! Have they seen Rajin bat? Hardly T20 material...

Names have been forwarded by BCB, I guess.

nycpro96
January 29, 2009, 04:21 PM
just curious anyone have a list of cricketers auctioned for ipl2008

nzfan
January 29, 2009, 04:22 PM
I reckon Jeetan Patel would be a good bowler to bid for, he will go for very cheap and has a good twenty20 record and is capable of bowling at the death(its his favourite aspect of cricket)

Fortuner
January 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
how in the world are players like rajin saleh get auctioned.
rajin saleh is a test material.
so,4get about t20. i think cricinfo did a mistake.
rajin saleh;s inclusion cnt b justified. i bet on this.
i like rajin saleh as a player but being realistic.considering him for t20 is a stupidity.we dont consider him for intl;s also.we bring him for test matches only.

i wont how they included his name..

nadif and ziaur ..they have proved smthing often in domestic circuit...but rajin...i dnt get it...sm1 give me an answer...i m goin mad....!!!

cric crazy
January 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Fortuner;823900]how in the world are players like rajin saleh get auctioned.
rajin saleh is a test material.

Search me mate, I am still scratching my head.(even the bit about "test material" is debateble)

Maybe he is related to the Indian Mafia.

Snowman
January 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
If Shah Rukh Khan is smart, he should pick up Shakib, it makes the obvious sense to me, but then again its a competition based on talent and money not a tournament based on cultural and linguistic ties.
Lets see what happens.

Akib
January 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
Realistically, only Sakib, Mash, and Ash really have a chance. Tamim did, but hes been invisible for a while.

sbsash
January 29, 2009, 06:09 PM
I was expecting more Pakistanis on the list.

rashed411
January 29, 2009, 06:12 PM
only want shakib and mashrafe... to get auctioned, even better if same team.

Umar
January 29, 2009, 07:28 PM
whoever gave the list is begging for it. i wonder in what sense he(obviously) thought Rajin saleh, Junaid Siqqiqi, Mehrab Jnr, Nadif Chowdhury and Ziaur rahman will have a chance and the franchise will buy them with Dollar to be in IPL ? when players like Mushfiqur, Raqibul and mahmudullah etc have real doubt of getting a chance!

Ipl will probably take some of these players Probably for collecting the ball from outside the boundary line after someone hit a six or four. just ridiculous

Gowza
January 29, 2009, 07:57 PM
can't believe some of the BD players on the list yet naeem is missing, am i imagining that he's one of the most handy allround cricketers BD currently has?

al Furqaan
January 29, 2009, 08:28 PM
can't believe some of the BD players on the list yet naeem is missing, am i imagining that he's one of the most handy allround cricketers BD currently has?

rajin and mehrab's inclusion indicates its a farcical list drawn up by the BCCI or IPL to try and appease the BCB. they picked players they know, not the best 20-20 players we have.

rasel should have been on the list.

as long as sakib gets a big contract, i am pleased. mash deserves one as well, though he's not a very good 20-20 bowler.

beshideshi
January 29, 2009, 08:47 PM
i wont be surprised to see tamim in IPL, mainly due to his performance against India. The IPL guys know who can do what, they are good businessmen. So i wont be surprised to see Shakib,ASH,MASH,Tamim

Rifat
January 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
rajin and mehrab's inclusion indicates its a farcical list drawn up by the BCCI or IPL to try and appease the BCB. they picked players they know, not the best 20-20 players we have.

as long as sakib gets a big contract, i am pleased. mash deserves one as well, though he's not a very good 20-20 bowler.

Ditto. anybody forgotten that he was the first bowler to take a wicket maiden in 20/20 history??

economical rate is far crucial than wickets at 20/20(well both quite important with economy having an edge over wicket taking!)

Gowza
January 29, 2009, 11:52 PM

would be ridiculous if shakib doesn't get a contract, and agree that rasel should have been on the list.

nahaz
January 30, 2009, 03:42 AM
I wonder how much our gour real contenders have per head:

Sakib-$350,000...real deal, he's a better investment than maybe even flintoff. He alone can make a team go to the final

Mash- $105,000 ...he's pretty good, but his commitment worries me sometimes. I'm sure the IPL ppl will notice this as well. Nevertheless, he can be quite penetrating as a bowler.

Ash $100,000... a hit or miss player. But maybe in Twenty20 he'll prosper under less pressure. He can make runs from ball one and can easily score 20-30 runs in most matches in no. 6-7, just like Albie Morkel. Good value for money, plus fan base in calcutta.

Tamim-$70,000... again, a hit or miss player. Wud prob get ~20 every 2nd game. But prob not worth getting a spot more than 1-2 matches, especially since its the opening spot

Btw, do u guys know what countries do not have international commitment in this time? Cud be crucial in selecting players.

BlindSupporterofBD
January 30, 2009, 05:08 AM
i believe ashraful will make it. if ipl look at his recent 20-20 form in ncl. they will be interested. also his overall 20-20 statistics is not bad at all. once he had the world record of fastest 20-20 half century.

mali007
January 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
This list is to protect BD players from ICL hunt!! Only Shakib has a real chance !!

zainab
January 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
This list is to protect BD players from ICL hunt!! Only Shakib has a real chance !!

I agree? I think that the first choice will be the English players, but Sakib, Mash and Ash are much better than the English cricketers.

BANFAN
January 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
I was expecting more Pakistanis on the list.

Good news for the BD players who will not get a contract in this auction. pak players are not likely to be available due to tensions surrounding Mumbai Attack...

Players unsold at auction available as replacements
IPL franchises will be allowed to sign on 'unsold' players at next month's auction as replacements for contracted cricketers who won't be available for the entire season this year. The IPL's latest decision, which could make for a busier auction, also allows franchises to sign uncapped players not part of the auction as replacements.

Franchise officials said the move could particularly help overcome the uncertainty surrounding the availability of Pakistan players for the tournament following the Mumbai terrorist attacks. Players unsold during the February 6 auction will be available at a fee "equivalent to or greater than the reserve price", the release said, though the amount spent on them would not count towards the US$2 million cap on player purchases for each franchise.

Full Story (http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/story/388003.html)

kalpurush
January 30, 2009, 04:53 PM
What a farce...
IPL?
BCB? or,
the List? ;)