PDA

View Full Version : Mark Vermeulen's extraordinary return

AsifTheManRahman
January 31, 2009, 10:10 AM
Vermeulen poised for remarkable comeback
Martin Williamson
January 31, 2009

Mark Vermeulen is poised to make the unlikeliest of international comebacks a little more than two years after he burnt down Zimbabwe Cricket's academy and tried to set fire to the ZC boardroom. He was cleared on grounds of mental illness by a Harare court a year ago after it was revealed he suffered from a serious depressive illness.

More please (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/336722.html)

AFAIR, he was pretty useless, so I don't think we should be intimidated. But I like how he tried to burn down ZC. So Bangladeshi.

Green Tea
January 31, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yes. it is quite extraordinary.

battye
January 31, 2009, 11:24 AM
Vermeulen isn't useless. He's technically very sound, and he has performed well too. He has a Test century which only Taibu and Masakadza of the current team can boast, and he has a lot of First Class centuries under his belt - 11 in total, including a near double century against an English county (Sussex I think, can't remember for sure though).

His one-day record isn't so impressive, but in First Class cricket he is better than any of the Bangladeshi players. Averages nearly 40.

:)

Ak
January 31, 2009, 02:02 PM
I thought he was in a nut house lol.

Sovik
January 31, 2009, 02:37 PM
he is a decent middle order batsman. he will add some strength to their batting line up

Abid_Khan
January 31, 2009, 06:41 PM
He's a good player and it will help Zimbabwe alot if he comes back

zimfan
February 1, 2009, 06:48 AM
he would defiantly get back in the team on merit

the question is weather the selcters would really ever give him a recall to the national side after his past

he would add great stability in the top order probably opening with madakadza

JonBain
February 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
He has probably done more good for Zim, by making a burning issue of its problems, than most other zims have.

cricket_king
February 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
Bret Lee knocked this guy out once in a game. A bouncer got through the helmet and his eyes were bleeding. I thought THAT would've been the end of his career - this guy just keeps on going.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2009, 01:55 PM
Mental illness? What is going on here? No matter how talented he is, he is a disruptive force. I would not let anyone like that be near my team. I can't imagine what he is capable of doing if the captain does not agree with him or something. Potential time bomb. I thought Shoaib Akhtar was a bad influence. This is insane.