PDA

View Full Version : Haddingate : Extraordinary cheating

Miraz
February 1, 2009, 02:04 PM
I saw the first ODI between Australia and New Zealand live and was left stunned by the dismissal of Neil Broom. He was bowled by the gloves of Brad Haddin. The scorecard should have read "Neil Broom Bowled Brad Haddin Gloves - 29". This is what Cricinfo has to write

In the 36th over Neil Broom was "bowled" on 29 by Clarke after sharing a positive stand of 42 with Taylor. Not only did Brad Haddin's gloves come in front of the stumps, but he knocked off the bails and the ball did not seem to hit the wickets. Link (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/388616.html)

Haddin appealed, Broom was not sure, Michael Clarke (the bowler) was ecstasic with the dismissal and New Zealand went from a good position to win to a tricky position. This is the worst case of cheating I have ever witnessed in a cricket match.

Steve Bucknor was the umpire, but I can't really blame him for this.

Video clip of the incident : http://cricketcrowd.com/Play_Video-23-1700-1700.html

I would not be surprised if Haddin gets unpunished for this cheating. If this sort of cheating happened in the sub-continet, a ten ODI ban would have been a minimum.

sandpiper
February 1, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've also read that but cant make any comment before watching the incident. Sounds fishy :umm:

Sovik
February 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
atleast new zealand won this match

sandpiper
February 1, 2009, 02:29 PM
Ok, just saw the replay. I think the bowler and other fielders had no guilt in appealing as the whole things happened within blink of an eye. But Haddin should be responsible as he pouched the ball quite cleanly and should be aware that there was no contact of the ball with the bails. Bucknor also raised his finger in the spur of the moment nodding to the surrounding noise (there was obviously some sound as the bails dislodged).

see : http://cricketcrowd.com/Play_Video-23-1700-1700.html

Miraz
February 1, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the video clip sandpiper.

The ball was going at least couple of centimeters over the stumps.

Akib
February 1, 2009, 03:15 PM
I saw the first ODI between Australia and New Zealand live and was left stunned by the dismissal of Neil Broom. He was bowled by the gloves of Brad Haddin. The scorecard should have read "Neil Broom Bowled Brad Haddin Gloves - 29". This is what Cricinfo has to write

Link (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/388616.html)

Haddin appealed, Broom was not sure, Michael Clarke (the bowler) was ecstasic with the dismissal and New Zealand went from a good position to win to a tricky position. This is the worst case of cheating I have ever witnessed in a cricket match.

Steve Bucknor was the umpire, but I can't really blame for this.

I would not be surprised if Haddin gets unpunished for this cheating. If this sort of cheating happened in the sub-continet, a ten ODI ban would have been a minimum.

Thats why.

Miraz
February 1, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thats why.

In real time it's very difficult to see the incident. Any other umpire would have been given the same verdict. Even Michael Clarke, the bowler, had no clue. Only Haddin knew what has happened as he deliberately knocked off the bails.

Zeeshan
February 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
IF what Choppol said was right ie that if gloves are infront of the stumpts it's not, WTF was the second umpire doing.....dozing off?

Miraz
February 1, 2009, 03:36 PM
IF what Choppol said was right ie that if gloves are infront of the stumpts it's not, WTF was the second umpire doing.....dozing off?

He is an Aussie. ;)

Rifat
February 1, 2009, 04:09 PM

and yet, Abdur Razzak gets punished for chucking.

Zeeshan
February 1, 2009, 04:16 PM
Miraz bhai shuru koren article lekha lekhi! Shuru koren revolution!

Bangladesh Zindabad!!! :flag::flag:

bharat
February 1, 2009, 04:28 PM
An Aussie (Haddin) said it is out then it has to be out ! I like the way the commentator (not Chappel) tries to cover it up by saying that the ball hit the stumps !!

There was daylight between the ball and the bails.

For me it is not important what happened on the ground, players cheat (ofcourse the aussies cheat more often but that's besides the point) but what happens off the field is more important.How will the Match Referee react to this ? Will he give a soft warning with a monetary punishment or will be apply the same rules that he usually applies to mere mortals ( read non-Aussie player )

I'd say a ban less than 3 matches is too soft a punishment.

nzfan
February 1, 2009, 08:48 PM
I dont see any difference between this and what rashid Latif did, why the double standard?

Ajfar
February 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/388680.html

RazabQ
February 2, 2009, 01:58 AM
chori chori chori karo

Surfer
February 2, 2009, 02:53 AM
In real time it's very difficult to see the incident. Any other umpire would have been given the same verdict. Even Michael Clarke, the bowler, had no clue. Only Haddin knew what has happened as he deliberately knocked off the bails.

Miraz, the umpire should have known that no one appeals in case of a bowled. Since the wicket keeper appealed, there was something wrong in that. Bucknor remains an idiot.

I am quoting from a blog here:
“Out on the field at the time, Brad was certain the ball had flicked the top of the off stump,” Ponting said.

But why would Haddin even mention it?

A batsman getting bowled doesn’t usually precipitate a discussion about whether the ball actually struck the stumps. That is a given.

Such a comment may well indicate that the keeper, at some level, had had some doubt about the legitimacy of the dismissal.

Source: http://blogs.thewest.com.au/news/john-townsend-haddin-joins-chappells-in-hall-of-infamy/

As you see, Ponting says that Haddin said on the field that he was sure that the ball hit the stumps. What was the need to say that if he was unaware?

YellowMonk
February 2, 2009, 03:46 AM
Yes it was very very dubious, at least nowadays it gets highlighted. Ray Jordon was very lucky to escape 40 years ago with something more flagrant in India.

http://monkeyatthecricket.blogspot.com/2009/02/haddin-and-jordon.html

Miraz
February 2, 2009, 03:58 AM
Haddin is reacting like a liar. At the end of the match, he should have walked to the batsman and apologized to him. He is claiming that Vettori should have come to him and chat about the dismissal!!! How silly!!! Is this the aussie style of defense?

Look at the contradictions in his statement -

- He saw the replay and the gloves were in front of the stump, still he is claiming that the ball hit the bails first before coming to his gloves !! Is there another set of invisible bail between the batsman and six inches from the stump? What bail is he talking about here? The only visible bail was dislodged by his gloves.

He should have been apologetic for the incident. After such stupid statement which proves his guilt, ICC should pro-actively investigate the incident even if NZ decide not to lodge an appeal.

Shaan
February 2, 2009, 04:08 AM
That dismissal was totally daylight cheating, I guess Haddin just got the honorarry tittle before his name cheater Haddin. chorer mayer boro gola !!!

yaseer
February 2, 2009, 04:39 AM
oita churi na .......... oita chilo DAKATI........Dakat sordar Haddin must be banned for this....

What a shame.....dislodged the bails with gloves and claimed to be Bowled!!! I just could not believe it when i saw the match.....i dont really give blame to bucknor here...the incident was fast and Haddin needed to admit it....and again...Bucknor in his dreams may never thought this kind of incident can take place....!!!! so he gave it to Haddin as he claimed it.

cricket_king
February 2, 2009, 04:42 AM
Haddin's a bloody chor. That was the most ridiculous load of crap I've seen in some time. And Ponting's idiotic defence for his actions are even more absurd. These guys have no guilt whatsoever. ICC better own that team or I am so sending a letter of complaint.

Baundule
February 2, 2009, 08:06 AM
from Haddin's reaction, it seems he did it intentionally, or at least he was aware (during the match) of what actually happened. If it was an unintentional mistake, he was supposed to say sorry, after watching the replay.

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2009, 09:38 AM
When some one gets caught for something (anything) that is not his first time. Hello Haddin!! shoil'da bhala? (R U ok?)

Padosan
February 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
I guess the ball did hit the stumps, the top of the stumps may be. But it is not out just coz Haddin had his gloves in front of the stumps.

As in the spur of that moment, i am sure that nobody in the field could have got this decision right, including Haddin. I will still give him the benefit of the doubt there.

The only thing that pisses me here is, Haddin maintaining his stand even after he saw the replays. He could have been diplomatic by saying something like, "yeah i didn't feel it at that moment but the replays did show that my gloves were in front of the stumps." Ponting is defending Haddin now :), guess he is right in his own way like every captain does. But Ponting should know better at this day and age when we get frame by frame replays.

cheers !

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2009, 10:53 AM

- He saw the replay and the gloves were in front of the stump, still he is claiming that the ball hit the bails first before coming to his gloves !! Is there another set of invisible bail between the batsman and six inches from the stump? What bail is he talking about here? The only visible bail was dislodged by his gloves....
I guess the ball did hit the stumps, the top of the stumps may be. ...
:confused:

Confused.
+++
Ponting = Bush. They both live in their la la land.

Miraz
February 2, 2009, 10:54 AM

Confused.

http://cricketcrowd.com/Play_Video-23-1700-1700.html

Please draw your own conclusion. :)

Shaan
February 2, 2009, 10:59 AM

Confused.
+++

So, here is the vdo clip, no more confusion !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
So, here is the vdo clip, no more confusion !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M)
http://cricketcrowd.com/Play_Video-23-1700-1700.html

Please draw your own conclusion. :)
If I was able to then I would have already cause there are some video links. The problem is can't access the page (these and others) from Office. Have to wait another 7 hours at least. Till then I will remain confused.

cricman
February 2, 2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have sound but did he edge it?

Miraz
February 2, 2009, 12:45 PM
I don't have sound but did he edge it?

lol, cricman, it was claimed as bowled. :)

Sovik
February 2, 2009, 02:36 PM
According to cricinfo, this is waht haddin said after the match

Haddin called Vettori's response "poor" and "low", but maintained the ball hit the stumps before his gloves. "I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game if he had an issue with it rather than air his thoughts in a press conference," Haddin told AAP. "I think the polite or the decent thing to do would be to come and ask me. He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low. I think it's quite poor."

ialbd
February 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
sth new everytime.... why complain? entertaining for the rest of us.....

bharat
February 4, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ponting's apology claim stuns New Zealand

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/389082.html

The Aussie crickters continue to surprise me ....

I am out of popcorn , let me go get some !!

Tigers_eye
February 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
They still didn't say anything apologetic to the Kiwis. lol. Ponting reaching new lows as he still tries to cover his cheat players like his own son and magnifying the false.

BANFAN
February 4, 2009, 05:35 PM
Shocking ! Ausies are very good at it. I was watching on Super Sports & they were showing the score card as Stumped/Bowled for quiet some time.

Remember Rashed Latif got punished for claiming a catch against us, how can Haddin go unpunished?

sandpiper
February 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
They wield unprecedented power in ICC, coz they are the only team to win a hat trick world cup title :wave:

Remember Rashed Latif got punished for claiming a catch against us, how can Haddin go unpunished?

MarufH
February 4, 2009, 10:19 PM
I hate ponting... I hate ausies.. buncha morons... lowlife...

battye
February 8, 2009, 08:50 AM
Come on, how can anyone say Haddin did that intentionally?

What, you think he went up to Clarke the ball before and said "mate, bowl it an inch above the bails and I'll make it look like you bowled him!". Please.

I think it is pretty clear that the ball has missed the bails, but it was obviously not intentional. From Haddin's perspective, he might not have been sure whether the ball come off the bail into the glove.

Having said that, I think what Haddin should have done is tell the umpire that he wasn't sure, so that the 3rd umpire could take a look. He could not have been 100% sure that it was out.

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2009, 10:42 PM
Come on, how can anyone say Haddin did that intentionally?

What, you think he went up to Clarke the ball before and said "mate, bowl it an inch above the bails and I'll make it look like you bowled him!". Please.

I think it is pretty clear that the ball has missed the bails, but it was obviously not intentional. From Haddin's perspective, he might not have been sure whether the ball come off the bail into the glove.

Having said that, I think what Haddin should have done is tell the umpire that he wasn't sure, so that the 3rd umpire could take a look. He could not have been 100% sure that it was out.
Doesn't matter what went on in the field. After seeing the video tapes at least he could say, "I am sorry". That's all he had to do. He wouldn't have lost any competitive edge to the Kiwis. Yes the leg umpire didn't do his job but saying the truth wouldn't hurt him.

Denial only makes him look like a cheat.

Ajfar
February 8, 2009, 10:57 PM
aussies players can get away with murder

RazabQ
February 10, 2009, 12:31 PM
He pulled the same stuff last night against NZ; gloves in front of stump. Check the CI commentary

Tigers_eye
February 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
He pulled the same stuff last night against NZ; gloves in front of stump. Check the CI commentary
So who was the leg umpire this time? Why didn't he call noball? Or did he? Who was bowling? Clarke?