PDA

View Full Version : Lara's affection for opposition's top spinner

Arnab
November 30, 2003, 08:41 AM
We all know how Lara took to Murali in the last two series against SL. In fact he scored 373 runs against Murali alone and gave his wicket to him only three times. That is a bowling average of 124.33 for Murali against Lara.

This time it's Ray Price, the main spinner of Zimbabwe.

Lara took 26 off 11 ballls Price bowled to him including 3 fours and two consecutive sixes. Price was taken out of attack after three overs.

It's kinda similar to the Aussie bowling tactic: unnerve the best batsman in the team. Only the other way round.

oracle
November 30, 2003, 08:56 AM
Lara's best performances were during the beginning of his test career. He copes with captaincy and batting quite well. But so did Viv.

oracle
November 30, 2003, 09:02 AM
Actually would be intersting to see his avg. every year from his debut.
-has he been consistently around 50, i think no.
-avg when he is cap/not cap.
Lastly, the burning question and the real test for Lara-whether the WI will be thrashed by SA like last time.
:)

Arnab
November 30, 2003, 01:30 PM
- His batting performance in his second stint at captaincy has been outstanding.H e has been averaging 70 for the last 15 tests I think.

- Yes, his career average HAS been consistently around 50.

Arnab
November 30, 2003, 01:37 PM
For your other question:

Lara as Captain:

26 Matches; 2558 Runs; 213 HS; 58.13 Average; 7 centuries; 13 fifties; 40 catches.

Lara NOT as captain:

72 Matches; 6068 runs; 375 HS; 49.33 Average; 15 centuries; 28 fifties;

oracle
November 30, 2003, 04:45 PM
Yes, he delivers the goods. Although, thef act remains that Lara's highest score was achieved when he was'nt captain, i.e including his HS of 375.
On a previous thread I looked at the figures for captains figures before and after captaincy. For WI:

Lara (58.13 vs 49.33)
Hooper (45.97 vs 33.76)
Lloyd (51.30 vs 38.7)
Richards (45.12 vs 53.65)

Actually I take it back, Lara has maintained a higher figure than Viv. However, considering that Lara as a batsman is far superior than Lloyd I expected him to perform far better than his windies counterparts. For the future, I think that as a captain and the fact that the other WI batsmen are beginning to perform he will divulge some of his batting responsibilities. As such, personally I do not see his figures dramatically change.
This is a pity and the real tragedy because as a batsman he is capable of more. Quite rightly his pririties is to make sure WI wins the SA series.

Arnab
November 30, 2003, 05:57 PM
For the future, I think that as a captain and the fact that the other WI batsmen are beginning to perform he will divulge some of his batting responsibilities. As such, personally I do not see his figures dramatically change.
This is a pity and the real tragedy because as a batsman he is capable of more.

I don't know man, he has captained Windies in the last 15 tests and scored almost 2500 runs at an average of 70.

Gayle and Hinds may shine against ZIM in ODIs. But they are not really taking anything away from Lara.

oracle
November 30, 2003, 07:22 PM
Yes he has delivered as a captain but around 58 will be his career avg.
To really excel at 65 or 70 0r 75 and over (which is his potential), as you have pointed out, then he has to carry all the batting burden. ludicrous.
For the sake of Windies cricket they really have to nurture their other batsmen if they seriously want to regain their form as a team.

James90
November 30, 2003, 07:37 PM
Lara is one of only two foreign batsmen to have impressed me at home...the other one is Michael Vaughan

[Edited on 1-12-2003 by Habibul_fan]