PDA

View Full Version : Dhaka, the second home for the Kolkata Knight Riders?

bdchamp20
February 5, 2009, 12:59 PM
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/389330.html

The eventual plan is to extend the concept beyond the national border too. "We are also trying to expand the catchment territory to the neighbouring countries, subject to approval from other boards," Modi said. "For instance, the Knight Riders can have some matches in Bangladesh, the Chennai Super Kings in Sri Lanka and the King's XI Punjab in Pakistan. Whether it's possible or not is a million-dollar question but this is our long-term plan to expand the base."

mijanur
February 5, 2009, 01:03 PM
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/389330.html

The eventual plan is to extend the concept beyond the national border too. "We are also trying to expand the catchment territory to the neighbouring countries, subject to approval from other boards," Modi said. "For instance, the Knight Riders can have some matches in Bangladesh, the Chennai Super Kings in Sri Lanka and the King's XI Punjab in Pakistan. Whether it's possible or not is a million-dollar question but this is our long-term plan to expand the base."

wats that supose to mean

FagunerAgun
February 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
Good idea, it will generate more revenues for the rival of BCB!

bdchamp20
February 5, 2009, 01:58 PM
Good idea, it will generate more revenues for the rival of BCB!
I don't think BCB is that stupid to give away 100% revenue to the BCCI. Well at least I hope not.

BANFAN
February 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
Definitely it is aimed at increasing revenue. Not sure what good it will do, for BD.

Kabir
February 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
Definitely it is aimed at increasing revenue. Not sure what good it will do, for BD.

Raise the standard?

fais
February 5, 2009, 03:13 PM
if they play in BD they would have to pay some ofthe revenue - that has to be how it works
in any case it would be a big boost as kolkatta will be more inclined to purchase bangladeshi players as it will increase their revenue

Nafi
February 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
Its good for us duh!!!!

1/ BCB receive money
2/ Incentives to raise standards of the stadium
3/ Increase public cricket popularity
4/ Increase demand for BD players
5/ Improve relations between BCCI and BCB
6/ Helps to signify Bangladesh's involvment in cricket

Umar
February 5, 2009, 03:25 PM
Its good for us duh!!!!

1/ BCB receive money

Plus I think all we need is to get used to of foreign players. and this will definitely do it.

bujhee kom
February 5, 2009, 03:26 PM
we have a version/cousin of our beloved mohammedan s.c. in kolkata as well!

Purbasha T
February 5, 2009, 03:32 PM
Its good for us duh!!!!

1/ BCB receive money

Agreed!

nycpro96
February 5, 2009, 04:00 PM
good news definitely!

sandpiper
February 5, 2009, 04:47 PM
Well, I cant actually understand the meaning of "second home"

cricket_king
February 5, 2009, 05:31 PM
What's the point in hosting only Kolkata games in Bangladesh? If the BCCI are going to try and move their franchises into our country, then they might as well let a few more teams play there. It's not like Kolkata will have 2 'home grounds'.

nycpro96
February 5, 2009, 05:35 PM
What's the point in hosting only Kolkata games in Bangladesh? If the BCCI are going to try and move their franchises into our country, then they might as well let a few more teams play there. It's not like Kolkata will have 2 'home grounds'.

good suggestion
why dont they just make a dhaka based team and put it in.

BANFAN
February 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
Raise the standard?

Players are same where ever they play. So the playing standard is constant?

Stadiums/Infrastructure/Facilities? Will they do anything? BCB won't i'm sure, because the international teams are already happy with what is there in Dhaka.

We will get some foreign currency I guess. Some businesses will probably get a little boost.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2009, 06:29 PM
we have to see the complete details of this plan before we jump on board or oppose it.

BCCI is an entrepreneurial megalomaniac these days (other top boards are following suit as well), and thus primarily this is going to be a venture to capture BD taka.

of course, BCCI would prolly be forced to take in a lot of BD players, especially for the KKR, but we'll see. there are just too many details that have to be worked out, and it might never happen to begin with? india won't tour pakistan, how the heck are they gonna get an IPL team to play matches there?

beshideshi
February 5, 2009, 08:25 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/389330.html

according to CI,lalit modi said that he would want to see IPL become a more international tournament and he said KKR games may be held in Bangladesh,chennai games in Sri Lanka,And punjab games in Pakistan. So we might be having IPL games in mirpur in near future!!:flag:

Rommel
February 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
already a thread on this bhai...

Akib
February 5, 2009, 10:18 PM
Well apparantly KKR are having some problems with Bengal's cricket body. It would be seriously awesome if KKR played at Dhaka. It would be EVEN more awesome, if Skaib palyied in that team...

Zeeshan
February 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
i like to pronounce it calcutta.

beshideshi
February 5, 2009, 10:28 PM
:P you are right,but when i came on BC i didn see any other thread...so opened a new one

akabir77
February 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
Off topic.

From the wish list looks like Mash might the hottest commodity among all bd player... most teams r looking for a fast bowler who can hit.

Looks like sakib might have hard time finding a job...

Tamim has very little chance...

Ash might get one depending on what teams have bought first...

safaat
February 6, 2009, 01:36 AM
Its good for us duh!!!!

1/ BCB receive money

teach BCB some marketing and event management skills so that they get arrange a more commercially successful Dhaka premier league.

desirocker
February 6, 2009, 03:06 AM
KKR...SRK....Ganguly Dada......& BD's Pride Mashrafe.....@Dhaka
who would wanna miss that?

Anher
February 6, 2009, 03:48 AM
I was watching the bidding live on NDTV. I am sure KKR predetermined has to have Mash since shoaib wont be available. Sharukh knows his business. He knows dhaka going to be KKR's second home. He has to have at least a bangladeshi player to get the support and all tickets to be sold out. Jhon buchanan took very causious step just bidding the base price for mash at the last second and watted to pocket him with $50000. Suddenly Priety zinta and juhi chawla started the bidding like they will die without Mash. At the bidding progress the knew Sharukh khan will have mash at any cost since only mash 1 bangladeshi player left for bidding. At the end i say "Blind Love has lost to Business". Love has sold to $600K:-D

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:51 AM
ya and now theyre talking about Mashrafe all over the Indian news! even more than Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff who went for record prices :P

soo happpy! finally looking forward to IPL

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 04:21 AM
it would be great to watch the knight riders at dhaka.

i'm hoping srk has enough sense to buy shakib too.

bangla-red
February 6, 2009, 04:31 AM
I think that Mash is now guranteed a first xi place.

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 04:36 AM
I think that Mash is now guranteed a first xi place.

i have a feeling he'll only play about half the matches.

Rabz
February 6, 2009, 05:05 AM
Dhaka has just become KKR's second home, make no mistake about it.

Imagine a KKR V any team in Dhaka.
Nothing short of a full house with the crowd fully getting behind our boy and his team.
Very good move by Mr.Khan.
He surely knows his business.

mijanur
February 6, 2009, 06:08 AM
Dhaka has just become KKR's second home, make no mistake about it.

Imagine a KKR V any team in Dhaka.
Nothing short of a full house with the crowd fully getting behind our boy and his team.
Very good move by Mr.Khan.
He surely knows his business.

yup he really does

Abirz
February 6, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yay, i was already with Kolkatta Knight Riders in the first IPL season, and now KKR have bought Mash. Double Joy
Congrats to KKR for adding 150 million supporters by buying Mash
KKR should take Tamim also, he'll be a bargain at his base price and if he clicks... he can bash any opposition. I dont think KKR should take Sakib, since mendis is already there, he wont be able to shine.

akabir77
February 6, 2009, 02:36 PM
Off topic.

From the wish list looks like Mash might the hottest commodity among all bd player... most teams r looking for a fast bowler who can hit.

Looks like sakib might have hard time finding a job...

Tamim has very little chance...

Ash might get one depending on what teams have bought first...

look at this how accurate i was....:notworthy:

bdchamp20
February 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
I was watching the auction live as well. And I saw Lalit Modi's press conference and he said KKR might be playing practice matches in SBNS as early as next year. Imagine a match between Kolkata Knight Riders and a Dhaka Premier League XI.

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 03:37 PM
Pretty good akabir77. You had it right. No doubt KKR will play in Dhaka a few games probably by next year. With all the glam and pomp that comes with it, the IPL will be a hit in Dhaka with Mash in the team. KKR just got themselves millions of new fans. Just the sight of SRK in Dhaka will fill the house. He knows it. He will be present at the games. Smart guy. In order to make money, you have to spend money sometimes, and he did just that.

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
KKR vs Mumbai in Dhaka next year? You betcha..

Farhad
February 6, 2009, 07:08 PM
look at this how accurate i was....:notworthy:

Are you bowing to yourself?:umm:

Gotta admit it was a good call though :up:

auntu
February 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
Can't agree about having some matches in Bangladesh.

auntu
February 6, 2009, 08:54 PM
Lalit Modi, the IPL chairman, said he thought Mortaza's signing made great business sense for Kolkata. "We were all very surprised (at Mortaza's price tag), but it makes great sense for them. Bangladesh falls in Kolkata's catchment area under a new proposal we are discussing on letting franchises stage matches overseas. This could work well for KKR later."

Source (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/389524.html)

akabir77
February 6, 2009, 09:10 PM
Pretty good akabir77. You had it right. No doubt KKR will play in Dhaka a few games probably by next year. With all the glam and pomp that comes with it, the IPL will be a hit in Dhaka with Mash in the team. KKR just got themselves millions of new fans. Just the sight of SRK in Dhaka will fill the house. He knows it. He will be present at the games. Smart guy. In order to make money, you have to spend money sometimes, and he did just that.

Are you bowing to yourself?:umm:

Gotta admit it was a good call though :up:

Thank you guys. coming from you guys means a lot to me...

bdchamp20
February 7, 2009, 07:51 AM
Well apparently KKR team owners are not happy with the Cricket Association of Bengal because of their strict regulations and unfair demand of revenue share so there is possibilty that the SBNS may be their main venue at some point of time. But I'd love it if they play a Bangladeshi XI in the SBNS to warm-up for this season's IPL.

We desperately need to put up a big screen scorecard at the SBNS. We still have those red and green lights to signal the third umpire's decisions.