PDA

View Full Version : No buyers for Shakib Al Hasan - WTH?

enaner
February 6, 2009, 01:52 AM
No buyers for Shakib Al Hasan

Remember a franchise can have only ten foreign players on their rolls. Delhi have already exhausted their quota. Pool D's bidding begins, the first player is Bangaldesh allrounder Shakib Al Hasan, the world's best allrounder at the moment according to the ICC rankings. Shakib's bidding began at $75,000 but he had no bidders.

There were no bids for South African Morne van Wyk, who is a wicketkeeper, and West Indies fast bowler Jerome Taylor, whose bidding opened at $150,000.

what the hell man??

There are ten players in Pool E. Tamim Iqbal, the Bangladesh opener, is the first player from the pool up for sale. His bidding starts at $50,000 but there are no bidders. All the Bangladesh players - Shakib, Ashraful and Tamim - have not been bought.

This is outrageous. ![..]

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 01:59 AM
because he is from bangladesh......

desirocker
February 6, 2009, 01:59 AM
bulls**t

real123
February 6, 2009, 02:03 AM
Our players should prove India by crashing them in the next games they play.
I am upset that not a single BD player got picked.

bulls**t

real123
February 6, 2009, 02:09 AM
India is still not recovering from their slavery from their British rulers, paying 10x money for some average players just because they are from England.

Antora
February 6, 2009, 02:11 AM
Grrrr!:@

Murad
February 6, 2009, 02:33 AM
Its nothing about racism.
Shakib recently doing well. World don't know him yet.
Plus his T20 record is very poor.

Ahmed_B
February 6, 2009, 02:38 AM
And stop crossing borderlines with cursing!
-Mod

CholCholBD
February 6, 2009, 03:02 AM
No respect. Absolutely no respect.

We really have to embarrass India AGAIN! till they are forced to recognize what we are worth.

India thinks its not part of the subcontinental "slum" anymore, that they are somehow something much much more. You really have to hit them where it hurts..the cricket field.

India does not come to us till December I think. I hope the players remember this and take the treatment to heart.

Afterall, it was the indians that proclaimed that they were going to take a few BD players this year in the IPL, and now not so.

....Maybe we DESERVE THIS. For becoming a CHAMCHA and CHAKOR to the demands of BCCI and banning OUR boys from playing for US. Who lost in the end guys???????L-)L-)L-)L-)L-)

fais
February 6, 2009, 03:08 AM
guys guys, calm down... this is gutting but remember that shakib is a young boy... there will be many more years to join the IPL in the next few yrs - all these other big players are much older then him

Shaan
February 6, 2009, 03:23 AM
well no worry for Shakib he is young and talented, probably he will come out stronger next year with high price though happy for Ash and Mash.

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:26 AM
Our players should prove India by crashing them in the next games they play.
I am upset that not a single BD player got picked.

lol Mashrafe and Ashraful did....

but ya surprising that Shakib didnt

cricket_pagol
February 6, 2009, 03:28 AM
I am hoping that shakib will be bought as a replacement player... Hopefully he will get something higher than his base price.

lamisa
February 6, 2009, 03:31 AM
this is outrageous!!!!!bd should simply REFUSE to take part in ipl at all in the future years

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:33 AM
I am hoping that shakib will be bought as a replacement player... Hopefully he will get something higher than his base price.

yes thats possible....

Isnaad
February 6, 2009, 03:36 AM
It is amazing that the bid for Mortaza went up to 600 000 dollars!!! One of the most expensive players!!!!!

Baundule
February 6, 2009, 03:40 AM
I think, all four of our boys will be sold. Patience.

MohammedC
February 6, 2009, 04:03 AM
Is there a second auction?

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 04:03 AM
I think, all four of our boys will be sold. Patience.

the auction is over.. isn't it?

mahbubH
February 6, 2009, 04:12 AM
IPL teams scouting is not good I would say. They pay Mashrafee way too much and Shakib would be a great selection given his performance in international cricket.

I hope Shakib will get his chance. I am not worried.

Rabz
February 6, 2009, 04:35 AM
Its really sad to see Sakib missing out after such a good form lately.
His ranking speaks for himself too.

Probaby Sakib is not so well known around the cricketing fraternity and this worked against him.
Players like Mash and Ash has been playing for years and are synonymous to Bangladesh cricket, both match winners with X factors on their own right.

Whereas Sakib's meteorical rise has been a result of hard work in only last 6 months.Had he been more "known" and fancied player, there could easily been another betting frenzy about him.

But i guess it not all lost.
There is always next year.

Miraz
February 6, 2009, 04:55 AM
Really feeling bad for Shakib. He desreved better.

Hopefully it will ignite him further and will show his true worth in the Twenty20 wold cup match against India.

fais
February 6, 2009, 05:15 AM
I rlly hope shakib spurred on by not getting a contract and try even harder - the opposite would be a disaster for us!

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 05:27 AM
Its really sad to see Sakib missing out after such a good form lately.
His ranking speaks for himself too.

Probaby Sakib is not so well known around the cricketing fraternity and this worked against him.
Players like Mash and Ash has been playing for years and are synonymous to Bangladesh cricket, both match winners with X factors on their own right.

Whereas Sakib's meteorical rise has been a result of hard work in only last 6 months.Had he been more "known" and fancied player, there could easily been another betting frenzy about him.

But i guess it not all lost.
There is always next year.

That's the only way now we can console ourselves :notworthy:

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 06:07 AM
Just to bring some tranquility to us die hard fans:

I was checking live text of IPL T20 auction, it says there are slots to be filled in as replacement. It means some more players can get in, and so Shkib and Tamim might might find themselves squeezed in as well. So am I counting down for the right thing or anyone else got other explanations?

mijanur
February 6, 2009, 06:10 AM
:hairpull:Just to bring some tranquility to us die hard fans:

I was checking live text of IPL T20 auction, it says there are slots to be filled in as replacement. It means some more players can get in, and so Shkib and Tamim might might find themselves squeezed in as well. So am I counting down for the right thing or anyone else got other explanations?

can u giv me the live links of ipl please???

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 06:24 AM
:hairpull:

can u giv me the live links of ipl please???

live links? auction has ended already; you might check for links in the other thread, i saw some people posting links. Dunno if there will be links for replacement auction or whatever it is called which will be done in few days, stay tuned to cricinfo.

mijanur
February 6, 2009, 06:27 AM
live links? auction has ended already; you might check for links in the other thread, i saw some people posting links. Dunno if there will be links for replacement auction or whatever it is called which will be done in few days, stay tuned to cricinfo.

tnx did it show live bidding of players... if did then i missed it:hairpull::hairpull:

cameron
February 6, 2009, 06:29 AM
Just to bring some tranquility to us die hard fans:

yeh thats right i think. if foreign players are on international duty these players can come in for them, thats my explanation:).

mahbubH
February 6, 2009, 06:30 AM
From BBC website ..
There were no bidders for the other two England players in contention, Sussex batsman Luke Wright and Nottinghamshire all-rounder Samit Patel.
They join a long list of unsold players, which includes Australian's Phil Jacques and Stuart Clark.
Their only chance of making the IPL this year is if the franchises pick them up as replacements for the Pakistani players, who have been barred from taking part by their government.

beshideshi
February 6, 2009, 06:31 AM
Yea, the 'slots' are created by pakistani players.......Teams are now allowed to get relcaement from the 111[or 114??] selected initially. And as far as i kno, there were loads of Paki Players....so maybe there still is a chance..but hey,mash created the biggest auction hyp ever!congrats

Naimul_Hd
February 6, 2009, 06:39 AM
IPL is not all guys !! Sakib should nt b upset bcoz even if he was picked by any team, he might have not given enough chance like Razzaq in the last yr ! I am afraid Ash is also going to face the same fate ! i wonder how many chances ash will get where there is Tendulkar, Jayasuria class batsmen in the team.

Rather Sakib should focus on his performance for future series and show the world that they have missed by not picking him in their team !

Raynman
February 6, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm disappointed. I hope this doesn't demoralize the Kid. He has been working hard and this should have been a good reward. Hopefully this won't impact his game and he'll show the teams what a mistake it was to miss out on him.

Sovik
February 6, 2009, 06:48 AM
i had a feeling about this. he is not a hard hitting batsman and he is not proven in T20s

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 06:51 AM
OH, that's TOO COOL, and by now the buzz that's been created for Shakib saying that he was not picked up by anyone, should work for him getting picked at that low price! Man, I just can see what Shakid would do in IPL, and while we're not sure about Ash and Mash's performance in IPL, you can be quite confident about Shakib that he wouldn't let us down!.....lol, getting emotional!

zainab
February 6, 2009, 06:55 AM
Sakib's temperament is such that he will not bemoan this episode. There is still a chance for him to become a replacement player. If I remember rightly, there were lots of players who joined respective teams quite late, even after the IPL started e.g. Razzak, Mendis and a few others,
so something may happen. Maybe the IPL will read more about him and the BCCI should get in touch with Modi and speak to him about it.

Abirz
February 6, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yea, the 'slots' are created by pakistani players.......Teams are now allowed to get relcaement from the 111[or 114??] selected initially. And as far as i kno, there were loads of Paki Players....so maybe there still is a chance..but hey,mash created the biggest auction hyp ever!congrats

No dude,Pakistan has blocked its players from playing in the IPL, so it doesnt matter if there are loads of pakistanis on the list...none are gonna get bought. Which is good news for us

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/story/388728.html

Roni_uk
February 6, 2009, 07:17 AM
This is just unbelievable. Obviously the bidders did not look at the ranking or unaware of the true potential of Shakib. If they did Shakib would have been more expensive than Flintoff! How did ash got sold.. because he is well known in the international arena. Wherever we had a win, Ash contributed the most. All the best to him and hope Mashrafee proves his was worth $600,000.

IPL is a mega treat to the cricketers.. incentive for players to do well in internation matches.

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 07:19 AM
No dude,Pakistan has blocked its players from playing in the IPL, so it doesnt matter if there are loads of pakistanis on the list...none are gonna get bought. Which is good news for us

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/story/388728.html

you did not get what he said. As the pakis are not allowed to play, the teams have to fill the blanks caused by those players' departure, and thus increases chances for our players to get in, you got it now? :)

thebest
February 6, 2009, 07:24 AM
Guys chill out. It is Blessing in disguise. If half of what written about Sakib's mental fortitude is true he would rise like a phonics and would be the first bangladeshi to get a county contact. Hopefully that would be in 2010.

auntu
February 6, 2009, 08:18 AM
[বাংলা]ধুর ফাউল ! [/বাংলা]

auntu
February 6, 2009, 08:28 AM
Let there be light....

Abirz
February 6, 2009, 08:35 AM
you did not get what he said. As the pakis are not allowed to play, the teams have to fill the blanks caused by those players' departure, and thus increases chances for our players to get in, you got it now? :)

Oh yeah...sorry, i misread it

shabbir
February 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
I don't believe this wtf..........Ipl is running by all morons film star and business,Rather than performance they are after sponsors and advertisement.I have seen in other forumsn some Indians also surprised Sakib has not been sold.

SS
February 6, 2009, 08:48 AM
I hope he is not too harsh on himself missing this IPL. His main focus should be keep up the good form and serve the team. If he can get a contract in England, that will be great but I doubt that will happen. For some reason, players are now more focused on playing in India than in England or Australia league. We should take care of a player like this caliber.

MohammedC
February 6, 2009, 09:04 AM
There is another SLA in Royal Chargers who would need to be replaced if he does not sort his bowling action by then. Who is none other than our own Abdur Razzak.

yaseer
February 6, 2009, 09:09 AM
I am feeling bad for Sakib really.....he deserves a team at least. May be he has just emerged in world stage and his name has not spread that much...also lack of "X" factor or killer instinct may be the cause.....

But nothing to be dissapointed....keep playing well Sakib....and win some more games for Bangladesh.....May be next year you can be the hot cake for all the teams....

Akib
February 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
Its probably the fact that Sakib hasnt actually been this good for that long. He's only recently ascented the rankings. GIve him time, next year he'll have a chance. Also remember this year, the teams had limited budgets with specific needs. Not all teams really needed a spinner. KKR, the only team who would seriously look at BD players, need a fast bowler, thats why mortaza went.

yaseer
February 6, 2009, 09:40 AM
Afridi, Sohel Tanveer, Salman Butt, Shoaib Malik.........all these Pakistani players need to be replaced. May be Delhi team can pick Sakib in place of Shaoaib Malik. Also Md. Hafeez played for Kolkata last year....Sakib can replace him also.....after getting Mashrafee......Shahrukh Khan may be interested to replace his Pakistani players with another Bangladeshi one......As far as I remember Kolkata had 3 pakistani players last year.....Shoaib Akhter, Umar Gul, Md. Hafeez.

If the news of Pakistani players can be replaced later is true.....then I think Sakib has very good chance to be picked by Kolkata Knight Riders........A real Businessman Shahrukh Khan will not going to give away the chance of getting the market of Bangladesh by getting the support of this areas huge cricket fans...which eventually be profitable for him in future.

pagol-chagol
February 6, 2009, 09:41 AM
The marginal utility of importing a spinner from outside, and filling one of the four international spots with him, isn't very high in a country where local spinners are dime a dozen. If Sakib was a pacer all rounder with #1 ranking, he would have gone for a million+. At his current construction, he has to become a superb batsman to fit into that aquarium.

ialbd
February 6, 2009, 10:01 AM
why Ashraful & not Shakib.....

he would have been such an asset for any team even for $75,000 (what they are paying ash), but probably offering shakib 75K is a slap in the face and the franchises couldnt afford another 400K player....

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi friends I am from India.
Signed up in this forum today.

Sakib not got selected because he is a spinner, if you watched closely last year all the spinners did so bad even Murali was dropped after few matches. So its nothing to do with 'India hates Bangladesh' (I liked A.Kapali, M Ashraful , Rafique and Mortaza in the few matches I have seen Bangladesh play).

No offense for Sakib but if there is a comparison of Sakib and Mortaza in Indian minds it will always be Mortaza on top , everytime. He is a hard worker and good bowler (respect for him).

Miraz
February 6, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi senman, welcome to BanglaCricket. Hope you will stay around and ejoy this nice forum.

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Miraz

incredible
February 6, 2009, 10:12 AM
i was pissed..first thing in the morning and wanted to shoot some indians .. :D

but think logically...last year i think Kallis was no 1 in the all rounder ranking..and look what happened to Bangalore and DC after they did their bidding based on rankings..that is why this year no one looked at the rankings... it was clearly needs basis this year... KKR lost Shoab Akhtar..needed a fast bowler ... and Punjab is you look at their list has no good fast bowlers.. and Mash has a repu of being the new McGrath...economical..

I still PRAY and HOPE from the borrom of my heart that Sakib gets a team ...

incredible
February 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
i meant shooting the indian buyers at the auction.... no offence anyone :P

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:14 AM
i was pissed..first thing in the morning and wanted to shoot some indians .. :D

but think logically...last year i think Kallis was no 1 in the all rounder ranking..and look what happened to Bangalore and DC after they did their bidding based on rankings..that is why this year no one looked at the rankings... it was clearly needs basis this year... KKR lost Shoab Akhtar..needed a fast bowler ... and Punjab is you look at their list has no good fast bowlers.. and Mash has a repu of being the new McGrath...economical..

I still PRAY and HOPE from the borrom of my heart that Sakib gets a team ...

You are right Royal Challengers and Deccan went down the hill chasing the ICC rankings.

aniksh1
February 6, 2009, 10:15 AM
Shud have taken Shakib....at the least he can bring the RR down in 20-20 easily....done it plenty of times......lets see how Mortaza does!!

Ahmed_B
February 6, 2009, 10:18 AM
No offense for Sakib but if there is a comparison of Sakib and Mortaza in Indian minds it will always be Mortaza on top , everytime. He is a hard worker and good bowler (respect for him).
Welcome to the forum senman. Here is our Introduce Yourself (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=6983) section for newly joined members.

About your comparison...Sakib is actually a Bangladeshi Mid-order batsman who's bowling is an additional skill that has been doing very well lately. And in terms of batting, Sakib is in much better form and consistancy than Ashraful at the moment..and ofcourse with a high strike rate. He is currently BD's best batsman in form.

DJ Sahastra
February 6, 2009, 10:21 AM
Deep in my heart, i hoped Shakib will get a reasonable offer, atleast 150K+. However, i always had doubts my mind on whether he'll be able to make it. A few things were likely to go against him:

1. He is NOT a hard-hitting batsman. Last edition of IPL showed us that this version of the game works a little differently and demands a little different skill.
2. He is not too well-known (his elevation to #1 all-rounder not withstanding).
3. This is not a complete auction in that teams were looking to fill specific places.

On a side note, if Alok Kapali was up for auction, i reckon he would be very rich right now!

BanCricFan
February 6, 2009, 10:28 AM

Sakib not got selected because he is a spinner, if you watched closely last year all the spinners did so bad even Murali was dropped after few matches. So its nothing to do with 'India hates Bangladesh' (I liked A.Kapali, M Ashraful , Rafique and Mortaza in the few matches I have seen Bangladesh play).

First and foremost, a very hearty welcome to this forum!

Now the business: Shakib is not just a regular spinner lest one might forget. He is a very decent and attacking batsman too, hence, topping the ICC allrounder table. Shakib is also one of the best fielders in Asia if not the world.

IPL folks have made a huge blunder, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm sure Shakib will play as a replacement player in the League.

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the forum senman. Here is our Introduce Yourself (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=6983) section for newly joined members.

About your comparison...Sakib is actually a Bangladeshi Mid-order batsman who's bowling is an additional skill that has been doing very well lately. And in terms of batting, Sakib is in much better form and consistancy than Ashraful at the moment..and ofcourse with a high strike rate. He is currently BD's best batsman in form.

Probably as me the selectors from ipl know very little about Sakib, but nothings lost . Let Sakib performs like his stats suggests and he will be selected for a much higher price than mere 75 K , for the next IPL.

DJ Sahastra
February 6, 2009, 10:32 AM
Maybe KKR should've bought both Mashrafe and Shakib for $350K each :). That would've been a killing deal!

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:33 AM
First and foremost, a very hearty welcome to this forum!

Now the business: Shakib is not just a regular spinner lest one might forget. He is a very decent and attacking batsman too, hence, topping the ICC allrounder table. Shakib is also one of the best fielders in Asia if not the world.

IPL folks have made a huge blunder, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm sure Shakib will play as a replacement player in the League.

Yes I believe the chance of KKR picking him as replacement player is 99% but If I were him I would wait and perform consistently and go for better price than 75k (which doesn't reflect his potential IMO)

tigerpain
February 6, 2009, 10:42 AM
Shocking ...SHOCKING ...Just can not believe it... Shakib; no bidder... i would never thought about it even my worst dream ..but Happy for Mash.... quite interesting on that ...

pagol-chagol
February 6, 2009, 10:44 AM
Another thing. Sakib would be immensely valuable just as a 12th man fielder. He is an electrifying fielder who can creat unlikely run outs throwing from his knees.

Even if he doesn't play in the XI in any game, he'd still be worth his base salary if he fields occasionally in every game.

tigerpain
February 6, 2009, 10:45 AM
He has good point here.. welcome to banglacricket.com

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:48 AM
He has good point here.. welcome to banglacricket.com

Thanks tigerpain :)

senman
February 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
If Sakib is a pace bowler or even a medium-pacer and have the ranking he has, there would have been a bidding war between the teams of Ipl, more hotter than Mashrafe Mortaza's.

uss01
February 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
Get over it people. Playing in the IPL is a privilage, not a right. At the end of the bidding process no team wanted to hire him given their options, so be it. Move on. They did not see his market value. Shakib will still win matches for BD. Please stop whining.

BanCricFan
February 6, 2009, 11:30 AM
Get over it people. Playing in the IPL is a privilage, not a right. At the end of the bidding process no team wanted to hire him given their options, so be it. Move on. They did not see his market value. Shakib will still win matches for BD. Please stop whining.

Please get over your "privilage" hang-ups, with all due respect!

mali007
February 6, 2009, 11:33 AM
I think AUCTION was based on performance & speculation in 20/20 format ------- for that reason Rajsthan bought unknown HENDERSON of SA for $650K for his brilliant performances in English 20/20 for MIDDLESEX. Sakib's 20/20 performance was not great.

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
I think AUCTION was based on performance & speculation in 20/20 format ------- for that reason Rajsthan bought unknown HENDERSON of SA for $650K for his brilliant performances in English 20/20 for MIDDLESEX. Sakib's 20/20 performance was not great.

but is he done 650k job.im 100% sure he will fail india......i saw him lots of time in skysports.to be honest he is not 650k player......

Zeeshan
February 6, 2009, 12:49 PM
tbh, he may be the best player in the world right now...but he is not a 20-20 player.

mijanur
February 6, 2009, 12:55 PM
guys dont get 2 happy r u guys sure that they will be in the startin line up

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 01:02 PM
I was thinking a team like Delhi or Deccan would pick up Shakib as they are missing similar players like Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik. Well definately has a chance as a replacement player! :)

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 01:03 PM
guys dont get 2 happy r u guys sure that they will be in the startin line up

it doesnt matter even if they wont be in the starting lineup all the time! They will definately play some games as some of the other players will be away on international duty etc. So we should be happy! and we should be as happy as possible now so that we can be upset when theyre not picked for their respective teams in the starting lineup :P :P

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 01:05 PM
the reason sakib didn't get picket becasue he is a spinner.if he was a seamer he would have sold for 500k+.surely

pagol-chagol
February 6, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sakib is a keen learner. Even if he doesn't play any game, he'd pick up a lot just being close to some of those players. I'd like Sakib to carry Shane Warne's bag for 2 months for free.

cricman
February 6, 2009, 01:07 PM
He's gonna prove them wrong

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 01:10 PM
sakib chetbe........world ke dekhaibe what actually he is.........im feeling really sorry for this lad.

tiger_omar
February 6, 2009, 01:12 PM
Good point Mijanur bhai. Cricinfo did a mock starting line up as of now, and Mash wasn't even in the starting lineup for KKR. If some of the international players don't miss time for their series, it will be tough for even Mash to make the starting 11 for KKR.

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 01:13 PM
Good point Mijanur bhai. Cricinfo did a mock starting line up as of now, and Mash wasn't even in the starting lineup for KKR. If some of the international players don't miss time for their series, it will be tough for even Mash to make the starting 11 for KKR.

cricinfo is never correct.....

fais
February 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
you had have to be stupid to spend 600,000 and not play a player in the first XI in at least half the matches

tiger_omar
February 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
Sakib is a keen learner. Even if he doesn't play any game, he'd pick up a lot just being close to some of those players. I'd like Sakib to carry Shane Warne's bag for 2 months for free.

Shakib is a great learner IMO. He's one of our most intelligent player on the field, and off the field as he concentrates on his academics as well.

If Shakib went to IPL with a serious mindset of learning, I think he could end being an even better player at the end of the season. Really hope he gets in as a replacement player, but I wouldn't mind too much if he didn't. Because if he gets in this year as a replacement player, he'll only make 75K. But if he continues his rise to the top, he should be one of the most sought after player and next years bidding and should make much more.

And if does sign up as a relacement player, he should just sign up for a 1 year contract, so he can be up for the auction again next year.

Nadim
February 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
guys dont lose ur hope becasue there will be another IPL auction soon........

LateCut
February 6, 2009, 01:25 PM
Sakib will be taken. I think he will be the replacement for Kamran Akmal (wk/batsman). Tamim seems unlikely.

AsifTheManRahman
February 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm too happy for Masri to feel bad for Shakib.

The guy's only 21 and has LOTS of time to make it to big competitions like the IPL. Besides, he's making way more than the average 21 year old Bangladeshi anyways.

Anher
February 6, 2009, 01:55 PM
mash took all the bangladeshi player's deserved money. Damn mash. i should feel bad for sakib but cant because of you.

simon
February 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
Very much disappointed to not have Sakib.
I really hope he gets a chance as a replcmnt for 1 yr.
But Sakib was the most reliable 1 to me.

gunda
February 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
I realy feel saddened by this news.. he was guaranteed to get in IPL, but it looks like the teams had other plans in their minds. If anyone deserved to be in, it was shakib, ppl always say there is reward for all your hard work. But where is his reward??? where is shakib's reward for his outstanding form recently?? where??. This goes to show that this "phrase" "reward for hard work" is aload of bull! and shakib proved it here!
This will surely demoralise him, seeing a inconsistent player gets sold of "Ashraful" where has he the consistent performer doesn't get sold. where's the bloody justice in that? this show's that it doesn't matter about performence or consistecy, all it matter's about is the X-FACTOR! and shakib hasn't got that, that's why he did'nt get sold.
Pure hyprocrisy at its highest this is, considering other players who know one ever heard of got sold off.
I got nothing to say to shakib apart from... goodluck young tiger may you rise through this dark patch of hyprocrisy and come out multiple times stronger!

Ajfar
February 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
there's still 6-7 spots open for replacement..and most of the franchises already used up most of their money..so most likely they'll settle for lesser base price player..so sakib definately has a chance..

Zeeshan
February 6, 2009, 03:41 PM
good ol' foodstamps for our shakib....

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 03:57 PM

Welcome dude.

Your observation is correct. Spinners had a tough time last year. Other thing you mentioned is the Indian perception in play here. Indians have good recollection of Mortaza and Ash's exploits against them. Compared to that, Sakib is an unknown commodity despite having a stellar year, as he has not faced India that many times. It makes sense. Its not that Sakib is a bad player, its just the franchises do not have first hand experience when it comes to him. To spin it another way, if there is ever a ZPL ( Zimbabwean Premier League ), with all apologies to Mash and Ash, Shariar Nafees will be the highest paid player!

fais
February 6, 2009, 04:10 PM
i think shakib still has a good chance of making it - maybe not at the exorbitant price of mash but with the all the slots that will open up with the pakistanis leaving there will be a few slots open up

the other important thing is that this no sale of shakib has led to a lot of people talking about his ICC allrounder position and what a shock it is...give it a few days or whenever the teams decide but i would bet money that shakib will be snapped up as a replacement for the paks

Fazal
February 6, 2009, 04:42 PM
Its sounds bad.. but in long run it may be best thing that happened to Shakib and his fans. These 20-20 and those outrageous money could have short-circuited Shakib's promising career.

Zeeshan
February 6, 2009, 05:41 PM
Its sounds bad.. but in long run it may be best thing that happened to Shakib and his fans. These 20-20 and those outrageous money could have short-circuited Shakib's promising career.

Not if IPL in"fuse" Shakib's career with titanium-alloy like bowlers.

fais
February 6, 2009, 05:43 PM
i am disappointed that we haven't heard from shakib - makes me wonder if he is depressed somewhere in a corner

MarufH
February 6, 2009, 06:03 PM
Knowing Shakib, he will take this as a challenge and perform better. However, every man has his breaking point, I hope this is not his.. :(

Just to look at the other side, I think 4 players rule need to be changed. Otherwise a lot of teams will waste money by buying players just to warm up bench.

FagunerAgun
February 6, 2009, 06:58 PM
Sakib, bro, do not be disappointed.
You are still young, a long way to go to make more money.
I hope, now on, you will be more determined at home and abroad.
We are with you.

RazabQ
February 6, 2009, 08:01 PM
To spin it another way, if there is ever a ZPL ( Zimbabwean Premier League ), with all apologies to Mash and Ash, Shariar Nafees will be the highest paid player!And he would command a 100 Million Dollar salary to boot! 100 Million Zimbabwean Dollars to be precise :) That comes to what? 500 taka? :)

BD Tigers
February 6, 2009, 08:57 PM
THE BEST THING EVER HAPPEN TO BD CRICKET- JUST HAPPENED.

Even tho I feel bad that he didn't get any team but this will make him more determined to do better and that's always better for Bangladesh.

akabir77
February 6, 2009, 09:15 PM
Bad luck for Sakib. There r too many hitter spinner in India. they don't need another foreign player. may be he could have had better luck during 1st auction... but now there was no demand for a spinning all rounder... he could be a good replacement for razzak if his ban continues...

tiger_club
February 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
i'm not worried coz i think he will b bought in d last min n most likely kkr will take him as a replacement

Dhruvo
February 6, 2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that is pretty sad, he deserved a contract.But I am sure this is gonna ignite him furthermore to try his best.

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 09:58 PM
everyone's talking about how sakib will get in as a replacement player.

i think everyone's forgetting what is important - how much game time sakib gets. if he's just being picked up as a replacement, he will barely play at all.

remember razzak.

auntu
February 7, 2009, 05:21 AM
I have no doubt that this will boost up him to perform even more. That is his characteristic.
There is a great article about Sakib in [বাংলা]প্রথম আলো।

[বাংলা]প্রথম আলো[/বাংলা] (http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2009-02-07&nid=MzUwNjY=&fid=MQ==)[/বাংলা]

Nadim
February 7, 2009, 05:26 AM
I have no doubt that this will boost up him to perform even more. That is his characteristic.
There is a great article about Sakib in [বাংলা]প্রথম আলো।

[বাংলা]প্রথম আলো[/বাংলা] (http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2009-02-07&nid=MzUwNjY=&fid=MQ==)[/বাংলা]

yes it is another great article for sakib........all the best sakib

fais
February 7, 2009, 05:54 AM
yes it is another great article for sakib........all the best sakib

someone pls translate. thx

BANFAN
February 7, 2009, 06:17 AM
I am not disappointment at all. This will be good for his game & his future. If he can hold on to top ten for another year/2, he will become as valuable as flintoff for any team.

Don't lose heart Shaki, get going, good going.

karimjay.
February 7, 2009, 06:40 AM
I am not disappointment at all. This will be good for his game & his future. If he can hold on to top ten for another year/2, he will become as valuable as flintoff for any team.

Don't lose heart Shaki, get going, good going.

just interested.

how many of us will get stronger after receiving the shock in the form of not even being recruited as the cheapest player in the auction when you're the worlds best limited overs all rounder?

Naimul_Hd
February 7, 2009, 07:09 AM
guys dont lose ur hope becasue there will be another IPL auction soon........

does anybody knw when is the next auction for replacement ?

Ashfaq
February 7, 2009, 07:09 AM
Well, this equivalents to not getting a scolership despite 3.9+ CGPA for me. I'd probably give up .

senman
February 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
does anybody knw when is the next auction for replacement ?

I don't think there will be a second auction.

If the teams that have Pakistan players terminate their contracts they can rope in replacement players (I.e., Sakib) but if a team decides to suspend the contract (so that they can ask the pak player to come next season and play for the same team) then they cant take any replacement players so its all depends on what the team strategy is.

Shakib is gifted all-rounder as the ranking suggests but is he good in 20-20?

fais
February 7, 2009, 10:06 AM
Well, this equivalents to not getting a scolership despite 3.9+ CGPA for me. I'd probably give up .

would you give up if you had only been getting 3.5 until 12 mths ago and only recently started getting 3.9+ - Harvard takes those who have been consistently doing well... shakib has started and now he has to continue to prove his worth

mijanur
February 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
cricnfo gives out pure crap

nycpro96
February 7, 2009, 11:10 AM
this is the saddest news. i thought shakib would be one of the premier players. oh well, there always next year and maybe a replacement spot.

zainab
February 8, 2009, 06:47 AM
All the WI and English players will leave sometime in May to return for national duty, so there is a chance that Sakib and Tamim might be chosen then, all depends which teams end up in the quarter finals. I think that BD, SL, Aus.and SA are free from International duty during this time frame, but I have a feeling that Sakib might be chosen as Afridi's replacement.

Ashfaq
February 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
would you give up if you had only been getting 3.5 until 12 mths ago and only recently started getting 3.9+ - Harvard takes those who have been consistently doing well... shakib has started and now he has to continue to prove his worth

Achieving 3.9+ CGPA is not possible if someone was getting 3.5 a year ago. It means constant cgpa of around 3.9 from the world go, which I assure you takes more than just excellence and brilliance. So if after that someone fail to bag a scholership, I think they're entitled to a bit of "I give up" attitude. Comparing Sakib's condition to this is a bit eggageration, but not too much.Though I'm sure if Sakib continues his form, he'll get his reward.Winning a series for his team should be a bigger reward then an IPL contract.

RazabQ
February 9, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you read Shakib's PA interview, you would know that he will be fine. For those who haven't read:
1) Kid keeps it close to the vest. As they say, [বাংলা]পেটে বোমা মারলেও কথা বের হবেনা[/বাংলা]. He insists that he had no expectation because he doesn't worry about that which does not control. He has given that answer consistently in other interviews too. He didn't even tell his mom & dad about it - figuring "what's the biggie?"
2) When asked what he was thinking about, his answer was classic. I have Premier game tomorrow, that's what I'm thinking about.
3) He did get a chance to congratulate Mash and feels that a classical bid situation + need for a bowler helped Mash. Says this in a very matter of fact, non-negative way.

Alien
February 9, 2009, 09:34 PM
IPL was rarely about performance. Its a money making machine. Players there have a commercial value as well like Dhoni, Tendulkar who appears in TV more than Larry King.

Thing is few people watches BD games and hence Shakib is largely unknown to the rest of the world. Even though he is number 1 all rounder.

I tried to find out how much they bid for Shaun Marsh, if he tried at all this year and couldn't find anything. He was the star attraction last IPL, again this guy is relatively unknown too like Shakib.

BANFAN
February 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
IPL was rarely about performance. Its a money making machine. ................
I tried to find out how much they bid for Shaun Marsh, if he tried at all this year and couldn't find anything. He was the star attraction last IPL, again this guy is relatively unknown too like Shakib.

Shaun Marsh was contracted for 3 years, so I think he isn't in auction, this time. He could only be transferred between teams.

Money making machine for the players and the franchisees needs them to perform as well for making/recovering their money.