PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful sold at the IPL Auction

ausbangfan
February 6, 2009, 02:50 AM
Mohammad Ashraul has been sold to the Mumbai Indians for 75,000 US Dollars

scoilaheez
February 6, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ashraful has been sold to Mumbai at his reserve price of $75,000. Im hoping Ash represents us well in the IPL, the 20-20 game suits him perfectly.

Murad
February 6, 2009, 02:55 AM
He did?
still good for him. he will be able to work with some good players from other countries and learn how to be consistent.

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:02 AM
Really?!?!? NO WAY! :O

desirocker
February 6, 2009, 03:07 AM
ya, its official now for him

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:08 AM
ya, its official now for him

any link guys?

desirocker
February 6, 2009, 03:09 AM
http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/video_streaming.php

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 03:10 AM
yes DONE! AMAZING! :)

http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/389462.html

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 04:30 AM
now how many games will he play?

i'm saying less than half.

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 05:18 AM
oh! i was shocked to see that they just took Mashrafe, Ash's name got away of eyes; thanks to this thread :), so 2 players, huh? at least we'll get to see one big proper hitter :) and the hitting Mash does is a bonus :) :) :)

mahbubH
February 6, 2009, 05:25 AM
good for Ash that he can see SRT closely.. hope he will learn something good from this. given his performance I would say he is lucky to get selected

Nafi
February 6, 2009, 05:29 AM
Yeh I hope Ashraful gets an early chance and prove his superior hitting skills.

karimjay.
February 6, 2009, 05:38 AM
oh! i was shocked to see that they just took Mashrafe, Ash's name got away of eyes; thanks to this thread :), so 2 players, huh? at least we'll get to see one big proper hitter :) and the hitting Mash does is a bonus :) :) :)

i'm pretty sure your eyes are fine.

ashrafuls' name was added later.

Miraz
February 6, 2009, 05:44 AM
This is a big opportunity for Ashraful to develop his game. he will be playing alogside Sachin, that'e the best you can get. I think the net and team experinece with players like Sachin, Jayasuriya, Harbhajan and other players will be more valuable than playing the matches.

I hope the IPL experience will help him to become a more consistent player.

Miraz
February 6, 2009, 05:57 AM
Interestingly, he is the cheapest buy among international players, he might well become the biggest burgain of this IPL.

rubel_18
February 6, 2009, 06:06 AM
Interestingly, he is the cheapest buy among international players, he might well become the biggest burgain of this IPL.

or the biggest flop :P

Antora
February 6, 2009, 06:09 AM
BAHAHA it's funny and shocking how Ash got sold, but good luck to him.

zainab
February 6, 2009, 06:34 AM
Ash got his wish to play in the Mumbai Indians because SachinTendulkar is there. Hopefully, the weeks he will be there, even if he plays a couple of games will uplift his game. He also gets a chance to interact with the other players, i am sure that his English speaking skills will improve a great deal.
Sorry to see the best cricketer(Sakib) not given a slot.

mijanur
February 6, 2009, 06:49 AM
lol i dont no how ash got selected no shakib

al Furqaan
February 6, 2009, 07:36 AM
This is a big opportunity for Ashraful to develop his game. he will be playing alogside Sachin, that'e the best you can get. I think the net and team experinece with players like Sachin, Jayasuriya, Harbhajan and other players will be more valuable than playing the matches.

didn't realize he would be that close to sachin, and the fact that jaya will be there makes it perfect. i don't care if he plays a single match, the experience of those players will make a big difference. this is the closest thing to any of our players getting action in a "domestic league" of a big nation.

hope ash can learn some things from the 2 best ODI batsmen of all time...

Nafi
February 6, 2009, 07:39 AM
I hope Ashraful is given an early chance so he can rock the IPL.

BanCricFan
February 6, 2009, 07:46 AM
I think the net and team experinece with players like Sachin, Jayasuriya, Harbhajan and other players will be more valuable than playing the matches.

:timeout:

auntu
February 6, 2009, 07:59 AM
Good Luck to Ash.
I'm agreed with Miraz Bhai. He can build his mental health stronger with the presence of Sachin. No doubt he is the best cricketer as a whole and a ideal role model to follow.

Let this be his important turning point of his career.

Lets Ash make it happen. Go Ash.....Go....Our Captain...

sbsash
February 6, 2009, 08:20 AM
"Ash sold":lol: This makes me think Ash is a item.Anyways,good to see him sold.

Ishtylish cricketer
February 6, 2009, 08:29 AM
Despite constant failure, Ash is still regarded the best batsman in Bd. The fact that he bagged a contract proves that. I wonder if Alok would have been bought in the auction if he was still playing for Bd. He'd done well against the indians.

shabbir
February 6, 2009, 08:50 AM
imo Ashraful will play well in IPL,definitely it will be very good experience for him.

yaseer
February 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
Ya...good news for us and Ashraful....Congratulations!!! I am very very happy........

I was really hopeful about him getting a team...I thought after Sakib, ASH had the chance to get there.....but Sakib's exclusion came out as a surprise really.......

Spitfire_x86
February 6, 2009, 09:07 AM
Well, lately he's been more consistent batsman than Ashraful in tests :-D

Akib
February 6, 2009, 09:11 AM
He better learn something from SAchin while sitting on bench.

MohammedC
February 6, 2009, 09:16 AM

Did not bhaji slapped Srisanth? And Ash Slapped boy last year called Jamal or Jalal.
What a pairing. They can talk about tactics of how to Slap. In fact they will write book the success story called "The Slap Dog Millonaire" :-D

Russell2k7
February 6, 2009, 09:42 AM
why would you want to pick Ashraful over Tamim Iqbal for 20/20 matches?

MohammedC
February 6, 2009, 09:50 AM

Because Ashraful will pull more media attention than Tamim which would mean more Advertising Revenue for the team. (the unfortunate truth)

LateCut
February 6, 2009, 09:54 AM
There are a few remaining slots that openned up due to suspension of contracts a few Paki players. These are yet to be filled. Sakib is sure to sold in one of those slots. If not he should start packing his bag for ICL. What a joke!

patriot
February 6, 2009, 10:02 AM

T20 brings the worst out of Tamim Iqbal.Tamim is NO match to Ashraful's shot hitting capabilities.Do a quick profile and stats check on Cricinfo and Ashraful's T20 stats would make you think you are staring at Chris Gayle's or Yuvraj Singh's Page.

Purbasha T
February 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Did not bhaji slapped Srisanth? And Ash Slapped boy last year called Jamal or Jalal.
What a pairing. They can talk about tactics of how to Slap. In fact they will write book the success story called "The Slap Dog Millonaire" :-D

hahahahaha!!!!

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 01:27 PM

Are you serious? develop his game? How can you develop your game in this format? He already does things well meant for this format. But, Yes, being around class players that you mentioned can be a positive influence in terms of observing their mindset, professionalism, and maybe some technical aspects.

gunda
February 6, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ashraful has got the X-FACTOR like KP. Mumbai got a bargain for that price..

sharjilh
February 6, 2009, 02:12 PM
Ashraful has got the X-FACTOR like KP. Mumbai got a bargain for that price..

lol ok difficult to compare him with Kevin Pietersen :P. But ya definately an X-factor player :)

RazabQ
February 6, 2009, 02:57 PM
Are you serious? develop his game? How can you develop your game in this format? He already does things well meant for this format. But, Yes, being around class players that you mentioned can be a positive influence in terms of observing their mindset, professionalism, and maybe some technical aspects.Developing your mind is part of developing your game. And in Ash's case, it's the most important aspect to be developed. Plus he can definitely work on his cutting and on-driving. Tendu can teach the latter and Jaya the former

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 03:29 PM
Developing your mind is part of developing your game. And in Ash's case, it's the most important aspect to be developed. Plus he can definitely work on his cutting and on-driving. Tendu can teach the latter and Jaya the former

All those he could have done watching them when he competes against them on the field. I do agree though that he might benefit being around ( same team ) those guys from a mental point of view.

Nafi
February 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
lol ok difficult to compare him with Kevin Pietersen :P. But ya definately an X-factor player :)

dont over-rate kevin pieterson like all english fans do, he isnt that special.

Kabir
February 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
One needs to take the opportunities given to him, and develop him/herself with those limited resources. In the case for Ash, he's gone way over those resources, and some more.

To get to the point: If he hasn't been able to develop his game after so many 100+ ODIs and so many more Test matches...perhaps he has reached his max in terms of development?

Zeeshan
February 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
All those he could have done watching them when he competes against them on the field. I do agree though that he might benefit being around ( same team ) those guys from a mental point of view.

it's immersion bruh.... you can either learn french from movies with subtitles or faster by immersing yourself in pahi.

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 03:44 PM
it's immersion bruh.... you can either learn french from movies with subtitles or faster by immersing yourself in pahi.

Hey man..I don't care how he learns it. Just learn.

Fazal
February 6, 2009, 04:37 PM
Is he sold for good?

Now Ash is Mumbai=ka problem now?

Suckers !!!!!

sbsash
February 6, 2009, 05:55 PM
Is he sold for good?

Suckers !!!!!

:lol:

MarufH
February 6, 2009, 06:07 PM

I didn't expect that to come from you!

MarufH
February 6, 2009, 06:07 PM
Is he sold for good?

Suckers !!!!!

hahahahahahahaha :-D:-p

FagunerAgun
February 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Mash 400k
Ash 75k. :flag:
Khek khek khek :lol::lol::lol:

RazabQ
February 6, 2009, 08:06 PM
Is he sold for good?

Suckers !!!!!
Funny ... when BCB keeps picking him, they are suckers
... when some fans supports him, they are suckers
... when a for profit entity in a high stakes market and managed by top shelf professionals pick him, they too are suckers.

Man alive, this Ash must be some kind of witch doctor. Only Fazal seems impervious to his juju. The rest of us all are suckers :)

Anyway, Ash will most likely be a bench warmer. I don't see him breaking into the side.

akabir77
February 6, 2009, 09:13 PM
IPL- Best thing happen to ASH to date...

Playing for mohammadan getting the padani and crying in the stadium fixed him 25% and now getting padani from Tendu and co might fix him one for all...

As a batsman he is doing the best so far in his career... but as a leader he is zero so far but he has room to change he showed me (2%) that he is learning (management skills)

djnaved
February 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
LUCK BY CHANCE:-D

now, can mumbai indians make the gadha into a determined man?

akabir77
February 6, 2009, 09:37 PM
LUCK BY CHANCE:-D

now, can mumbai indians make the gadha into a determined man?

hi hi ... jhorey bok morey r fakirer keramoti barey...

Yes I have already put my neck into this by saying if ASH get chances to play (not like raazak) for couple of games and not he will change at least some amount... if nothing he can see how real players deal with things (like reporters and what not from dressing room) nothing bad can come from this...

AT LAST so much BD tk going from bd-> india now at last some is coming back...

Dhruvo
February 6, 2009, 09:46 PM
:lol:
Do you plan on using your keyboard anytime soon ? lol

Anyways I am happy for him, but I would have been happier if shakib got an offer instead of him.

tiger_club
February 6, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ash may just get 1 or 2 games under his belt.. Mash is the one eveyone will be watching for.. KKR paid $600,000 so he won't be sitting down like Ash.. for me one advice to Ash, he should grab his opportunity when he get the chance...don't blow it Ash..

Beamer
February 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
I bet Fazal has one of those gigantic "Wall Bangers" Ash poster in his room ! Ki Fazal ? Come clean man.

Tehsin
February 7, 2009, 12:04 AM
These are the folks Ash beat out in the auction. Due to the proximity, it makes sense that he got picked:

Pool D
Dwayne Smith to Deccan Chargers 100,000 (100,000)
Jerome Taylor to Punjab 150,000 (150,000)
Mohammad Ashraful to Mumbai 75,000 (75,000)
Samit Patel, Shakib Al Hasan, Morne van Wyk, Steven Smith, Ashley Noffke, Gulam Bodi and Daren Powell were unsold.

I don't expect much from him in real cricket but he should be able to do something in the A.D.D. (attention deficit disorder) version of cricket.

I wish Shakib got a chance just so he'd make some $. If he was picked, he would have definitely learned from this experience. Not sure an eight year veteran of International cricket would change or learn much from ADD cricket.

BANFAN
February 7, 2009, 03:45 AM
lol i dont no how ash got selected no shakib

Shakib has started doing better, hasn't passed the test of time to understand his real ability. If he continues to do well, next year he will have a better opportunity to join.

Atleast everyone knows the pattern of Ash's game and form. They needed a once in a while player like Ash at that price tag. If he does better than what he is known to be, he makes his career, if he fails, that's his fate. IPL has spoiled Raz IMO, it might finish him as well, if he doesn't perform.

mahbubH
February 7, 2009, 04:19 AM
SRT seems happy to get Ash (http://aajkaal.net/cat.php?hidd_cat_id=8)

mijanur
February 7, 2009, 06:15 AM
Shakib has started doing better, hasn't passed the test of time to understand his real ability. If he continues to do well, next year he will have a better opportunity to join.

Atleast everyone knows the pattern of Ash's game and form. They needed a once in a while player like Ash at that price tag. If he does better than what he is known to be, he makes his career, if he fails, that's his fate. IPL has spoiled Raz IMO, it might finish him as well, if he doesn't perform.
thats true
SRT seems happy to get Ash (http://aajkaal.net/cat.php?hidd_cat_id=8)

can u translate it plz coz cant understand bengali writing

karimjay.
February 7, 2009, 06:37 AM
i have a feeling this tournament will be a success for ash.

if he plays enough games, he'll be in the top five batsmen. mark my words.

djnaved
February 7, 2009, 02:52 PM

uribaba uribaba, we found a joutishi here.......mark koira rakhlam, dekhi lage kina:-p

Shaan
February 7, 2009, 03:05 PM

I second you, I have same kind of feeling, lets see

BANFAN
February 7, 2009, 03:19 PM
I bet Fazal has one of those gigantic "Wall Bangers" Ash poster in his room ! Ki Fazal ? Come clean man.

May be for practicing some bangla gali for 5 mins every morning !! :)

bdchamp20
February 7, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ashraful will be the Shaun Marsh of this season. I think he will be ignored for the first 2-3 games but once he gets his chance he will be Bombay's best batsman and will play every game from then on. :)

To inflict maximum damage I suggest Bombay open with Jayasuriya and Ashraful or Tendulkar and Ashraful. :)

BANFAN
February 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ashraful will be the Shaun Marsh of this season. I think he will be ignored for the first 2-3 games but once he gets his chance he will be Bombay's best batsman and will play every game from then on. :)

To inflict maximum damage I suggest Bombay open with Jayasuriya and Ashraful or Tendulkar and Ashraful. :)

That will happen if either SRT/Sanath fails to score in consecutive 2/3 matches. Otherwise Ash can only come at 4/5 to boost batting line up if needed.

Shaan
February 7, 2009, 04:46 PM
Before going to join IPL here are some home assignment for Ash:

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMG1PaR4Vy4&feature=related
2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4pwEpvcN4
3)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ34rWXiX1I&feature=related
4)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAPEsPdwubY&feature=related

must follow video for Ash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWZLuuabGs4&feature=related

Purbasha T
February 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7863866.stm

bbc thinks one of the five to watch in IPL would be Ashraful, hmmm!

akabir77
February 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
Ash plays some shots better then tendu. he is unlucky that he was born in the wrong country in the wrong time imo. if he was in bd let say another 10 years later he would have had the support of senior player who would know what it takes to play intl cricket had much more knowldge... he would have the managment who would know how to handle a telent like him... Scoring century against murali in the 1st test is not a joke. btw tendu didn't even score a century in his debu match...

bdchamp20
February 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
^Well said Kabir bhai. I am confident Ash will be one of the stars of this season. And hopefully when he negotiates a new contract his value will be at least $500,000.

Beamer
February 8, 2009, 12:03 PM
Ash plays some shots better then tendu. he is unlucky that he was born in the wrong country in the wrong time imo. if he was in bd let say another 10 years later he would have had the support of senior player who would know what it takes to play intl cricket had much more knowldge... he would have the managment who would know how to handle a telent like him... Scoring century against murali in the 1st test is not a joke. btw tendu didn't even score a century in his debu match...

Disagree. If he was born in another country ( established power ), he would have never seen the end of night. No big time cricket power will carry the mind boggling inconsistency that is Ash. He is lucky to be born in BD. Not questioning his talent one bit. I recognize his batting prowess and ability, but, I just don't see him having an uninterrupted career as the one he has been enjoying. For example, I would like to cite Yuvraj Singh, who in my mind is the most talented batsman India has produced in the last ten years. He is finally getting his spot cemented. If he was born in BD, needless to say, we couldn't afford to drop him ever.

bdchamp20
February 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
Disagree. If he was born in another country ( established power ), he would have never seen the end of night. No big time cricket power will carry the mind boggling inconsistency that is Ash. He is lucky to be born in BD. Not questioning his talent one bit. I recognize his batting prowess and ability, but, I just don't see him having an uninterrupted career as the one he has been enjoying. For example, I would like to cite Yuvraj Singh, who in my mind is the most talented batsman India has produced in the last ten years. He is finally getting his spot cemented. If he was born in BD, needless to say, we couldn't afford to drop him ever.
But if Ash was born in another country he would have a world-class domestic structure to play in and develop his talent. If he was Indian I'd say he would make his ODI debut at the age of 27/28 and Test debut at 30 so he would have played proper tough FC cricket for say 12 years before making his Test debut.

akabir77
February 8, 2009, 12:44 PM
BDChamp20 bhai already answered some of it but Beamer Bha you r right to in some way. yeah yes Ash place would not be cemented with this form and become captain in anyother team but he wouldn't be in this situation if he was in anyother country... thats my point. My point is Indians knew what to do with tendu and how to handle him and thats why even after having a bad debu he was picked but in ashes case he scored a century and know one knew how to handle him. he was the biggest star in the team. no senior had the form or guts to tell him anything. I am sure in the same situation tendu would have ended up a avg like him...

thebest
February 8, 2009, 01:14 PM
btw tendu didn't even score a century in his debu match...
So is Bradman, S Waugh, Richards, Sobers, Miandad, Gavasker, Arvinda, Dravid but Kurrupu hit a double century on debut, so is Sinclair. Ali Naqvi , Azhar Mahmud hit century in debut match againest SA. Hitting century on debut neither prove nor disprove anything. It is the ability to translate your talent into tangible something. So we talk about G Chappel, M Waugh, Grindge, Rowe, Viswanath, Ganguly who BTW transled their talent to a tangible one as great along with the names I mentioned earlier.
I never have any doubt on ash's talent but have doubt his capabilty to learn. Otherwise how Sakib's stock rises past him to the fans, to the expert.
I wish Ash could learn from two little masters and apply those while playing for Bangladesh. So that I could join his band wagon again. My heart say he would; my head say no. I rarely go with my heart now a days (it hurts); so this time I would not make an exception. Wish he prove me wrong.:flag:

akabir77
February 8, 2009, 01:27 PM
So is Bradman, S Waugh, Richards, Sobers, Miandad, Gavasker, Arvinda, Dravid but Kurrupu hit a double century on debut, so is Sinclair. Ali Naqvi , Azhar Mahmud hit century in debut match againest SA. Hitting century on debut neither prove nor disprove anything. It is the ability to translate your talent into tangible something. So we talk about G Chappel, M Waugh, Grindge, Rowe, Viswanath, Ganguly who BTW transled their talent to a tangible one as great along with the names I mentioned earlier.
I never have any doubt on ash's talent but have doubt his capabilty to learn. Otherwise how Sakib's stock rises past him to the fans, to the expert.
I wish Ash could learn from two little masters and apply those while playing for Bangladesh. So that I could join his band wagon again. My heart say he would; my head say no. I rarely go with my heart now a days (it hurts); so this time I would not make an exception. Wish he prove me wrong.:flag:

I hear you bro...

BANFAN
February 9, 2009, 02:44 AM

Agree completely.

While he came, it was even sin to think that a BD player could do what he did. Guys, don't look at where he is today, try to see where he could have been, if he had the proper guidance. He came loaded with talent & it's not all his fault that he couldn't build on it, it's our lack of system & cricketing environment.

Any top nation would have made him a front line cricketer. Time isn't over yet. he has the age and our cricket culture has also improved. I hope he starts getting proper guidance from IPL experiences & never looks back.

patriot
February 9, 2009, 12:49 PM
Gavaskar , Bradman , Tendulkar , Miandad , Anwar , Waugh's didn't have the whole nations hope resting on their shoulders to win a ODI match.If they lost their wickets they had an equally good if not better batsman in the dressing room waiting to replace them at the crease.Ashraful belonging to a team of mediocre batsman on numerous occasions carried this BURDEN single handedly and won games for us against quality opposition.

A batsman who can play the shovel shot against Ntini , Dominate Murali , hook and pull with authority worlds fatsest bowlers has more than enough hardware to have his name alongside great batting greats.It his software that needs devoloping to improve that sorry looking averge of his.For this you need quality experienced players around you just like how Imran Khan literally molded Wasim Akram, Waquar Yunis and Inzamam Ul Haq from raw clay.

BANFAN
February 12, 2009, 07:44 AM
Ashraful revealed that signing for Mumbai Indians would allow him to realise a childhood dream -- to play alongside batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar.

"Sachin Tendulkar has been an idol for me and as a youngster I dreamt of playing alongside him some day and now we are in the same team," he said.

Link (http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=RSSFeed-Cricket&id=47d2b1bb-cede-4a4f-a632-5258f423a8f9&&IsCricket=true&Headline=Mortaza+credits+IPL+riches+to+consistent+ form)

Ashfaq
February 12, 2009, 10:24 AM
Gavaskar , Bradman , Tendulkar , Miandad , Anwar , Waugh's didn't have the whole nations hope resting on their shoulders to win a ODI match.If they lost their wickets they had an equally good if not better batsman in the dressing room waiting to replace them at the crease.Ashraful belonging to a team of mediocre batsman on numerous occasions carried this BURDEN single handedly and won games for us against quality opposition.

While your observation on Ash is true, It is quite unfair to think he singlehandedly won us matches. In Cardiff, Bashar played a very significant second fiddle and if not for Aftabs sufrge, we might have lost the matsh. And don't forget Mash's whirlwind 25 against SA. Not to mention our excellent fielding and tight bowling on both occasion.

My point is that Ash doesn't need to think he's our only hope. He is our most experienced player, not our only player. I think it would have been more prudent if he guarded one end and let the youngsters have fun on the other end. But at the end he is actually not much older than some of our "new" players. I guess expecting Ash to play like a 30 year old is unfair as well.

Huda
February 17, 2009, 04:55 PM
dont over-rate kevin pieterson like all english fans do, he isnt that special.

He is a fantastic player, world class you can't refute that, home fans will always exaggerate their players but he is a special player. Look at the way he plays, you don't take apart a legendary attack in the ashes 05 series if you aren't a special player. His conversion rate of 15 centuries in 47 games is amongst the best in the game. He can be a legend of the game, there's no over rating of anything, you need to get rid of your blurry glasses.

zainab
February 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
I hope Ash is given a chance and performs better than little Taibu, so was given a few chaces in the IPL.

There is still hope for Ash in cricket, because time is on his side, but he will not lead this team for the 2011 WC. My prediction is that it will be Sakib.