PDA

View Full Version : Jayawardene announces resignation

Miraz
February 11, 2009, 06:39 AM
This is a very bold and honest decision from Jayawardene. I am not a big fan of him, but like his captaincy style.

A fine player, a fine captain and certainly knows when to step down. You live a hero and die a hero.

Now, Sangakkara should be the captain to take the team forward for the 2011 world cup.

Cricinfo story (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/390368.html)

Nadim
February 11, 2009, 06:55 AM
not a bad decision.......

MohammedC
February 11, 2009, 07:20 AM
Srilankan cricket under pressure.

SS
February 11, 2009, 07:33 AM
He gave a good interview, clearly shows his and whole SL team's class. We have so much things to learn. I like his words at the end "I need to contribute to the team as a batsmen first, only then can I captain, Captancy should not be a tool to keep you in the team".

sbsash
February 11, 2009, 08:24 AM
Sangakara as captain?Don't know how good he will do.What do you think?

Roni_uk
February 11, 2009, 09:31 AM
That was a bad decision. One of the best captains in my view. I will miss him.

Sangakara or Dilshan?

BANFAN
February 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
That was a bad decision. One of the best captains in my view. I will miss him.

Sangakara or Dilshan?

Dilshan is awful as a captain. I was pissed off with his captaincy in yesterday's T20 Match against. It is because of his captaincy SL lost the match. His bowler sellections were very poor. His boady language was horrible, too reactive.

I don't think SL will make him captain. I think it is Sanga for sure.

Ajfar
February 11, 2009, 11:00 AM
it will be sangakara...jayawardene was one of my favorite captain..after azharuddin, steve waugh and hansie cronjie

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Sanga it is. He will be fine. With Murali, Vass, Sanath and Jaya around they will rise again under the new leadership. May be even be a better team.

Hats off to Jayawardene. You have served SL well. Almost got won a WC had it not been the fear of rain.

Murad
February 11, 2009, 11:05 AM
He gave a good interview, clearly shows his and whole SL team's class. We have so much things to learn. I like his words at the end "I need to contribute to the team as a batsmen first, only then can I captain, Captancy should not be a tool to keep you in the team".

I wish Ash understand these words and resign from captaincy. He needs to work on his batting only. At the moment, he is not working much on his batting with Siddons as he has other responsibilities as captain.

patriot
February 11, 2009, 01:28 PM
Jaywardene was a smart captain and probably the best in Asia in recent times until Dhoni came.His batting let him down and he was wise enough to realise it. Sooner or later he would have been sacked by the Sri Lankan board anyway.

Rabz
February 11, 2009, 01:28 PM
A very bold and honest decision from Jayawaderene. He has been a fine captain for SriLanka and SriLanka has surely flourished under his leadership.

Sanga should take the charge now. I believe he would be even a better captain and would surely take his country to a new height. All the best of wishes for him.

djnaved
February 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
learn ashraful learn

Beamer
February 11, 2009, 03:26 PM
His recent horrific return of runs probably compelled him to take the decision.

bdchamp20
February 11, 2009, 04:16 PM
Sangakkara should be favourite to take over. Dilshan's fine form will make him a candidate as well.

Jayawardene was definetely among the Top 3 captains in the World. I'm not sure whether this is the right decision. I still admire him for stepping down with class.

Shaan
February 12, 2009, 03:28 AM
personally I think Jayawardane was a good captain only he was missing touch of his batting lately. Don't know who would be better replacement of him. Though Sanga is a good candidate but I have kind of feeling that he will not be as good captain as a good batsman cum keeper.

nycpro96
February 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
about time
i hate jayawardena.
sanga is amazing but is he captain material?

Abid_Khan
February 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
Murali!!

BANFAN
February 15, 2009, 10:21 AM
His recent horrific return of runs probably compelled him to take the decision.

Being dropped from the T20 team was a strong signal from the Board.

Buddhika_s
February 15, 2009, 11:33 AM
Being dropped from the T20 team was a strong signal from the Board.

He decided to sit out.

BANFAN
March 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
So, Sanga is the new captain, as was expected.

Congrats !!

nycpro96
March 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sanga's the new captain. Finally. Sanga should be a successful captain.