PDA

View Full Version : Guess whos retiring?

Akib
February 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Our favourite umpire Bucknor is leaving his post in March, depriving us of his presence in any more events. I'm sure Ash and friends will send him a nice card.

Steve Bucknor to retire from umpiring
Cricinfo staff
February 22, 2009

<table class="pullquote" style="margin-top: 5px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="320"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" height="5">
</td> </tr> <tr><td width="10" height="1">
</td> <td class="photo"> http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/inline/content/current/image/216031.jpg?alt=2
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr> <td class="photo"> Steve Bucknor was the first and so far the only umpire to have stood in over 100 Tests <nobr>© Getty Images</nobr>
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td></tr><tr> <td colspan="2"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> Steve Bucknor, the West Indian umpire, has decided to retire from umpiring at the international level in March. The third Test between South Africa and Australia in Cape Town from March 19 to 23 will be his last Test while the two upcoming ODIs between West Indies and England in Barbados on March 27 and 29 will be his last one-day international assignments.
"I have notified the ICC that the South Africa versus Australia series will be my last Test series," Bucknor, 62, told the Jamaica Gleaner. "The third Test match in Cape Town will be my last Test match.
"The body is feeling quite good and I know I could go on for another two or three years. However, something inside me is telling me that it is time to go."
Bucknor was looking forward to help improve the standard of umpiring in the Caribbean after his retirement. "I hope I will be accorded the opportunity by the West Indies board to work with young umpires in the region because I still would like to continue making a contribution," he said.
Bucknor, who began his international umpiring career in 1989, has officiated in a record 126 Tests. He has also stood in 179 ODIs, including five consecutive World Cup finals since 1992 - the most by any umpire. Bucknor has been on the ICC's elite panel since

Nadim
February 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
thanx allah

Rifat
February 22, 2009, 11:51 AM
:lol:

bangla-red
February 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss.

BANFAN
February 22, 2009, 12:29 PM
He was a very good umpire actually. Only last few years he made a lot of mistakes, due to his age I guess. He could have retired with more honour just 2/3 years back.

Any way, weldone and finally a good decision.

Rabz
February 22, 2009, 12:31 PM
Bucknor has been one of the finest umpires the world have ever seen.
Even though his last couple of years has been in controversies at times, but that should not define his illustrious career as an umpire.

Officiating 5 consecutive finals is not a matter of joke. I dont know if any official in any other major sports have acheived such feat.

The time is right for him i guess. He has been making some wrong judgements lately and before ICC shows the door to this living legend of umpires, good to see he is walking out on his own terms.

The cricket world will always be greatful to you Mr.Bucknor.
Good luck with your next venture and retirement.

Akib
February 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yea. Smart of him to leave before it got any worse. He was good before though, and umpiring all those finals is an amazing achievement.

MohammedC
February 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well done Mr Bucknor.

bdchamp20
February 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yup one of the best umpires that cricket has produced. Good luck on retirement.

Rifat
February 22, 2009, 02:13 PM
well done indeed, now enjoy your yacht in the carribean

al Furqaan
February 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
hope peter parker and ashoka join him soon...

thebest
February 23, 2009, 10:07 AM
When Asoka and our own Moni joining?

Tokai
February 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
Umpire Steve buckner took him time to make the decision but he was absolutely spot on. Good decision by umpire.

Beamer
February 23, 2009, 02:02 PM
He has been appointed as the new ambassador to India.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2009, 02:11 PM
He has been appointed as the new ambassador to India.
IPL? Thank you for poluting that environment.

Just to inject a reality. I will only believe once he fully retires and does not make a comeback like the superstars do. (he thinks himself as a superstar among the intl cricket umpires)
++++
He may have given alot to Cricket but he took away alot from BD Cricket as well. All I want is Ashoka to follow him.

nycpro96
February 24, 2009, 05:18 PM
oh thank allah. finally he's gone

MysoreHuli
March 23, 2009, 10:10 PM
Just found this on the net

"Australia's legendary 12th man Steve Bucknor finally bid adieu to the game after loyally serving Australian cricket for close to 16 years......

His retirement will leave a huge void in the Aussie dressing room and it will be impossible to find such a loyal 12th man again...His absence will be dearly felt by the Aussies, esp. captain Ricky Ponting who cannot rely on one bounce catches any more.....

Some of Steve Bucknor's greatest achievements came when he was up against India...somehow the Indians brought out the best in him...some of his notable achievements include sending Sachin back to the pavilion a record 9 times, a feat no bowler has performed before......"

Abid_Khan
March 24, 2009, 05:42 AM
He was good b4 but it's his time to leave

karimjay.
March 24, 2009, 08:32 AM
Just found this on the net

"Australia's legendary 12th man Steve Bucknor finally bid adieu to the game after loyally serving Australian cricket for close to 16 years......

His retirement will leave a huge void in the Aussie dressing room and it will be impossible to find such a loyal 12th man again...His absence will be dearly felt by the Aussies, esp. captain Ricky Ponting who cannot rely on one bounce catches any more.....

Some of Steve Bucknor's greatest achievements came when he was up against India...somehow the Indians brought out the best in him...some of his notable achievements include sending Sachin back to the pavilion a record 9 times, a feat no bowler has performed before......"

thats harsh.

Antora
March 25, 2009, 12:48 AM
Well, he was a god umpire, like ages ago. But hearing that he is finally leaving, I am WOL-ing ( wooting out loud) xD

One World
March 25, 2009, 03:01 AM
Bucknor needs down time.

Tigers_eye
March 25, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nel retired from intl cricket. 31 years old. signed with an English club for 3 years.

billah
March 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/CORPOD/CB040720%257EChihuahua-Wearing-Eyeglasses-Posters.jpg&usg=AFQjCNE2K2x7gztWO1wkFqOIu7fsqq9lgQ