PDA

View Full Version : NZ postpones Zim tour till 2010

Tigers_eye
February 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/392092.html

Asked if he was willing to go further than his predecessor and actually ban the players from going, he intimated that he was. "There are some options that I am working through at the moment. We don't support that regime. We don't support what is happening in that country, and we don't want to give a signal that we do."

That statement left NZC up in the air waiting for the next move. If the board had unilaterally decided not to make the trip then it would have been open to substantial financial penalties under ICC regulations.

By postponing, a common-sense solution has been found. The main stumbling block as far as the New Zealand government are concerned is the continuing rule of Robert Mugabe, although given the deteriorating political, economic and social situation in Zimbabwe, that particular problem could have been removed when the debate is next aired.
This is what I don't understand. Between 2009 and 2010, the situation will change in Zim? Comeon now!!! Either you go or you don't go. With all indication, the NZB and priminister stand against the tour. Then why not take the penalty and hold the principle high? Looks like money is more important than the belief. Hypocrite is a strong word which is suited here. Sorry NZ fans, this is how I see your board's stance.

al Furqaan
February 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
well mugabe could die in a year's time...he's 85 years old.

the thing is, is the country safe enough for us to tour...NZB had mentioned cholera scare as a reason to postpone the tour.

sports should trump politics and ICC should state that firmly...

nycpro96
February 24, 2009, 05:22 PM
this is really starting to piss me off. whats with this stuff. what do you think is going to change in a years time?

nzfan
February 25, 2009, 07:09 PM
Why tour zimbabwe and pump money into Mugabes bank accounts?

Tigers_eye
February 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
Why tour zimbabwe and pump money into Mugabes bank accounts?
Correct!! Then why postpose for a year? Why not cancel and take the penalty? I am not supporting Mugabe at all. I am saying when it is matter of principle, one must take a firm stand. If there is a penalty for it, so be it.

MysoreHuli
March 1, 2009, 11:43 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/392092.html

This is what I don't understand. Between 2009 and 2010, the situation will change in Zim? Comeon now!!! Either you go or you don't go. With all indication, the NZB and priminister stand against the tour. Then why not take the penalty and hold the principle high? Looks like money is more important than the belief. Hypocrite is a strong word which is suited here. Sorry NZ fans, this is how I see your board's stance.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
NZ govt is into predictions.