PDA

View Full Version : Techical Help (batting, bowling, fielding etc)

Yameen
March 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread consulting all the members at BC that play cricket at what ever level to have a domain concerning any questions on how to improve certain aspects of their game at a personal level; be it fast bowling, playing against spinners, ground fielding and so on to literally anything.

I think it would be good to share advice to others that require technical help from whatever questions arises and be good to share insights in how to improve ones game.

Let me start off. I am a right hand batsman and have difficulty playing left arm seam bowlers bowling over the wicket (natural angle swinging away from batsman). Often I find my technique has been exposed when the ball has been pitched on the ideal length pitched at around middle and leg and I seem to lose sight of the ball as if I have a blind spot in not seeing it. Hence, if the ball is swinging in or out becomes difficult to judge and end up being bowled or wrapped on the pads.

I have tried many ways to try and counter this, I have tried changing my stance to left armers by opening up more face on to the bowler and also trying to take an extra stride in for my front foot but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated please! I hope others can use this thread to solve any issues and blemishes in any aspect of their game.

nycpro96
March 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
yameen bhai, what sort of league or format of matches are you playing because they way you bat can change when playing for example 20 over league than when you play 40 over matches. your aggressiveness can change your batting style.

nycpro96
March 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
and sorry for not saying earlier but i think that this is a fantastic idea for a thread. :up: :D

layperson
March 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
@yameen : Try playing with a more open stance when facing left armers who come over the wicket ( the natural angle taking the ball away from you). Take a middle stump guard and have a relatvely more open stance rather than sideways, that way if the bowler moves the ball into you you can play it easier on to the on side. Also you need to have a good idea of your your off stump is so that you can leave the balls leaving you as well. Since you are not playing international cricket, I can assure you that if you are patient you are bound to get a few bad balls every over no matter how good the bowler is so the same technique should work for you in any format.

Also one more thing is if a left armer is bowling over the wicket the only way he can get you out bowled or lbw is when he is bringing the ball back into you not when the ball is swinging or seaming away from you so if you have an open stance with a middle stump guard ( i know you said in your post you tried changin your stance but it dint work) you should be able to negate the effectiveness of the bowler trying to get you out bowled or lbw. However the problem you will face with an open stance is if you go after deliveries leaving you then you would find yourself edging quite a lot or hitting the ball in the thirdman region and square of the wicket on the off side which is why I said you have to know where you stumps are so that you can leave the approriate balls. I had the same problem with left armers bowling over the wicket when I was in Grade 7/8. The open stance with a middle stump guard has been a fairly successful technique for me against left armers.

Yameen
March 6, 2009, 09:01 PM
yameen bhai, what sort of league or format of matches are you playing because they way you bat can change when playing for example 20 over league than when you play 40 over matches. your aggressiveness can change your batting style.

Its actually for my uni team where we generally play 50 over matches..yeh buddy, i totally agree..ur approach and application changes when playing shorter version than when playing to get ur eye in for a longer innings etc

Yameen
March 6, 2009, 09:11 PM
@yameen : Try playing with a more open stance when facing left armers who come over the wicket ( the natural angle taking the ball away from you). Take a middle stump guard and have a relatvely more open stance rather than sideways, that way if the bowler moves the ball into you you can play it easier on to the on side. Also you need to have a good idea of your your off stump is so that you can leave the balls leaving you as well. Since you are not playing international cricket, I can assure you that if you are patient you are bound to get a few bad balls every over no matter how good the bowler is so the same technique should work for you in any format.

Also one more thing is if a left armer is bowling over the wicket the only way he can get you out bowled or lbw is when he is bringing the ball back into you not when the ball is swinging or seaming away from you so if you have an open stance with a middle stump guard ( i know you said in your post you tried changin your stance but it dint work) you should be able to negate the effectiveness of the bowler trying to get you out bowled or lbw. However the problem you will face with an open stance is if you go after deliveries leaving you then you would find yourself edging quite a lot or hitting the ball in the thirdman region and square of the wicket on the off side which is why I said you have to know where you stumps are so that you can leave the approriate balls. I had the same problem with left armers bowling over the wicket when I was in Grade 7/8. The open stance with a middle stump guard has been a fairly successful technique for me against left armers.

thanks so much for ur advice mate, i tried implementing some of ur ideas in nets practice today but didnt come across any left arm seamer :( but had a couple of chaps bowling right arm chinamans to me around the wicket mixing it occasionally and defo learnt the imperatives of knowing where my stumps were and will be sure to prepare in same way against the left arm seamers..

i defo have a problem chasing the ball moving away from me and I will indeed put ur advice in to practice next week taking an open stance with middle stump guard and hopefully have some success!

Thanks a lot once again!