PDA

View Full Version : Shoot out in Lahore close to Gaddafi Stadium

Buddhika_s
March 2, 2009, 11:26 PM
Shoot out in Lahore close to Gaddafi Stadium

Cricinfo staff

March 3, 2009

A shoot out occurred in Lahore close to the Gaddafi Stadium where the second Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka is currently underway. The Sri Lankan team was reportedly in the vicinity but are safe. The third day of the Lahore Test is scheduled to begin at 10.30 am.

More to follow ...

© Cricinfo

Buddhika_s
March 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Some in pakpassion say 7-8 players were shot and in the hospital :(

Nafis_BD
March 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
:mad:This is just too much. I don't believe it.
What the HELL is going on now days??? This world is going crazy!!:timeout:

I hope the players are alright!!:( Anyone know what happened to the security guys??

Nafis_BD
March 2, 2009, 11:55 PM
New Delhi: Sri Lanka's tour of Pakistan was cancelled on Tuesday after unidentified gunmen opened fire and injured the visiting players, including Kumar Sangakkara, Thilan Samaraweera and Ajantha Mendis near the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore this morning.

Seven to eight Sri Lankan players are believed to have received bullet wounds after the gunmen surrounded their team bus and opened fire while they were on their way to the stadium. Today was the third day of the second Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Two of the players are believed to be seriously injured, according to the security officer of the Gaddafi stadium.

According to GEO TV, four policemen who were part of the security ring for the Sri Lankan players have been killed. Apart from firing at the team, even grenades were lobbed at the Lankan team bus and rocket launchers were reportedly used.

The security in-charge of the Gaddafi stadium was also quoted as saying that some Sri Lankan players were still inside the stadium and that star spinner Muttiah Muralitharan was safe.

The Lankan team media manager said the team taken to high security zone.

Cricinfo's Sri Lanka editor Charlie Austin said there was some explosion before the firing started. He also said that skipper Mahela Jayawardene had also been hit in his ankle.

The Pakistan team has been stopped from reaching Gadaffi and are being taken back to the hotel.

According to reports reaching here, the area has been cordoned off and Kalashnikovs have been recovered from the spot.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/sri-lankan-team-fired-at-in-lahore/38740-13.html

Shafin
March 2, 2009, 11:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7920260.stm
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393212.html

For Quick News:
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=69507&page=2&pp=50

Akib
March 2, 2009, 11:58 PM
Wow that is so bad. I hope to god our players don't tour Pakistan. I pray that the players recover from this incident (both physically and mentally).

Here is what cricinfo has to say so far.

Terror attack near Gaddafi Stadium
Cricinfo staff
March 3, 2009
Five Sri Lankan players have been injured in a terrorist attack near the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. Mahela Jayawardene, Ajantha Mendis, Kumar Sangakkara, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavitana are those who are being treated in hospital for minor injuries.
The Sri Lankans were on their way to the Gaddafi Stadium when their bus was attacked by five armed terrorists near Liberty market. A top security official said that five policemen were killed in the shoot out. The incident puts the ongoing second Test in doubt.

Nafis_BD
March 3, 2009, 12:00 AM
There's already a thread in International section. http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=834736#post834736

RazabQ
March 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
This is the death knell of cricket in Pakistan. I'm really saddened. Growing up with no BD Test team, the team of Akram, Imran and Waqars was the one that I rooted for.

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 12:09 AM
What is the world coming to at!!
This is beyong outrageous...

i'm loosing my ability to be shocked anymore these days...

PoorFan
March 3, 2009, 12:10 AM
This will ensure no test playing nation left in cricket world to visit PAK anymore, not untill one or two years I guess.

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 12:17 AM
I think pak just lost its chance to host the world cup...
no body is going there anymore..thats for sure...

Akib
March 3, 2009, 12:20 AM
I think pak just lost its chance to host the world cup...
no body is going there anymore..thats for sure...

I doubt they had a chance to hold it even before this. Like seriously SL and Bangladesh are only countries who even consider touring there. You can cross out sL right now, and hopefully BCB takes us out too. Player safety is too important and Pakistan is just too unstabl.e

layperson
March 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
This is a sad incident. This should effectively rule out any cricket in Pakistan for the next few years atleast. Pakistan would only find themselves making away tours now which is a pity for a team which I used to follow keenly in the early nineties. The attack itself is horrendous and shocking !!! What the hell is going on with the world, shob jaigay eto restless ar instability je its beyond belief.

PoorFan
March 3, 2009, 12:35 AM
Good thing is ... no PLAYER casualty has been reported, ... nor any BD, IND link so far.;)

Russell2k7
March 3, 2009, 12:36 AM
Sad day for Cricket

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2009, 12:37 AM
I am speechless. I just can't believe it. There's no reason why any board should send teams to Pakistan after this.

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2009, 12:40 AM
Some good news - captain says most injuries were caused by debris and thus not serious.

http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif Pakistan v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, Lahore, 3rd day
SL cricketers injured in terror attack
Cricinfo staff
March 3, 2009
Terror struck at the heart of cricket when masked gunmen attacked the bus carrying the Sri Lankan cricket team to the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. Five cricketers, including Mahela Jayawardene, the Sri Lankan captain, and his deputy Kumar Sangakkara, received minor injuries. The attack left five security men dead and will almost certainly lead to abandonment of the ongoing Test match.
While there have been terror strikes on the peripheries of cricket, this is the first time players have been directly targeted. The Sri Lankans were on their way to the Gaddafi Stadium when their bus was attacked by five armed terrorists near Liberty market. Habibur Rehman, chief commissioner of police, said 12 masked terrorists fired at the Sri Lankan team bus. The gunmen shot at the wheels of the bus and also injured the driver. A grenade was also thrown at the bus but it missed. The others players injured are Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavitana
"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Mahela Jayawardene told Cricinfo. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace [a member of the support staff], but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."
The Sri Lankan team had stepped in to fill a gap after the Indian government had barred the Indian team from touring Pakistan in the aftermath of the terror attack in Mumbai by Pakistan-based terrorists.
More to follow ...

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
pakistans joins the ranks of Bangladesh and zimbabwe to be the endangered species of test cricket...

we should have our won league...

this was the first test in 14 months.... i wonder how much cricket they'd be playing over the next yr or so...

BANFAN
March 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
Once upon a time, International Cricket used to played in Pakistan.

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2009, 12:43 AM
This is outrageous. Killing your enemies is one thing; attacking a bunch of foreign players quite another. I do hope the players are safe and that none of the injuries was fatal.

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 12:44 AM
Good thing is ... no PLAYER casualty has been reported, ... nor any BD, IND link so far.;)

player casualty??
that would have resulted in SL severing its ties with pak...
this is wht happens when u let taliban in inside your country...

u sleep with the devil, u gotta pay for your own syphylis medicine...

bharat
March 3, 2009, 12:44 AM
The Mumbai attack ,SL-LTTE civil war, the Mutiny in BD and now this ..the Sub Continent is doomed.

We have one third of the population starving(or even more) and we find ways to out do ourselves .

Simply Pathetic !!!

Farhad
March 3, 2009, 12:46 AM

Five security personnel died. I dont think its appropriate to differentiate between the two. Theyre human beings, just like the players...

Murad
March 3, 2009, 12:46 AM
Oh my God!!
What the hell is wrong with these Pakis?
What are they trying to prove by doing this?

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2009, 12:49 AM
Five security personnel died. I dont think its appropriate to differentiate between the two. Theyre human beings, just like the players...Yes, there is nothing worse than the loss of innocent lives.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 3, 2009, 12:59 AM
Pakistan is the epicentre of terrorism, pakistani government needs to come out of denial. Bullet proof glass saved the lankans. I suspect all the world cup games scheduled in Pakistan will moved to SL. Paki fans have to travel to Abu Dabi to watch Pakistan players play cricket.

cricket_pagol
This is horrible news. I feel really bad for the srilankan players... especially samaraweera who has been hit in the leg, he was in such good form.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090303/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

Dynamite
I extremely doubt the the tour of Bangladesh by Pakistan will go ahead!

After the terrorists attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team's convoy, the Pakistani players might be reluctant to tour Bangladesh.

rashed411
i kno this isnt probably the right section to post. But i just wanted everyone to know about this tragic incident. Sorry not 7-8 it think it was 2 SriLankan players shot in Pakistan!!!PHew.

PoorFan
March 3, 2009, 01:01 AM
Five security personnel died. I dont think its appropriate to differentiate between the two. Theyre human beings, just like the players...
Yes, no differentiate in human lives.

Though you may got the point I tried to make. Any players casualty would meant no TEST cricket in PAK for decade. Not literally but my instant feelings that was.

Murad
March 3, 2009, 01:04 AM
whats wrong with you people?

same thread everywhere....we have one in Int section, FC section now here.....

eidhik oidhik dekhle ki hoi bhaiyera?

rashed411
March 3, 2009, 01:05 AM
srry i usually only look on bangladesh section... shoulda looked around my bad. please delete this thread. thankyou

Dynamite
March 3, 2009, 01:11 AM
I very much believe that Pakistan's Tour of Bangladesh should go ahead if the Pakistan players feel comfortable to do so, even if it needs unprecedented security.

It will eventually prove that security for foreigners in Bangladesh is far more stable and credible than Pakistan. It will also further prove that in near future, playing cricket in Bangladesh is far more safer than playing in Pakistan and Bangladeshi nation poses no threat to foreigners.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 3, 2009, 01:12 AM
Bangladeshi team will be safe in Pakistan for obvious reasons.

Nadim
March 3, 2009, 01:19 AM
Sri Lankan media reports said two of the players including Thilan Samaraweera, who scored a double century in the ongoing Test match, have been taken to hospital.

"Five [of our] cricketers have injuries, but they are OK. But the players are shocked. They have never gone through anything like this before," former Sri Lankan player Sanath Jayasuriya told an Indian news channel on the phone from Colombo.

Nadim
March 3, 2009, 01:19 AM
PAK cricket is over....

Dynamite
March 3, 2009, 01:24 AM
I hope it does not affect playing international cricket in Bangladesh.

kalpurush
March 3, 2009, 01:25 AM
I am speechless - a sad day for cricket.

Our prayers are with the injured SL players. Wishing for a quick recovery.

ialbd
March 3, 2009, 01:27 AM
shocked howar level ekhon eto high hoye gese.... eigula ar news mone hoyna.... emotionless robot hoye jaitesi slowly....

BANFAN
March 3, 2009, 01:31 AM

After the terrorists attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team's convoy, the Pakistani players might be reluctant to tour Bangladesh.

That is one of the least possibilities. Pak will agree to play even in Jaffna, under Provakaran. If they want cricket to survive in pak.

kalpurush
March 3, 2009, 01:31 AM
Oh my God!!
The same wrong reasons our BDR Jouans had...

kalpurush
March 3, 2009, 01:32 AM
The Mumbai attack ,SL-LTTE civil war, the Mutiny in BD and now this ..the Sub Continent is doomed.

We have one third of the population starving(or even more) and we find ways to out do ourselves .

Simply Pathetic !!!
In deed, unfortunately.

Sohel
March 3, 2009, 01:36 AM
RIP to the security officers and I'm thankful that the Lankan players are safe.

karimjay.
March 3, 2009, 01:40 AM
they were on rickshaws.

shame shame shame shame shame.

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 01:45 AM
This is the day when pak cricket died.

i doubt about the our series with pak atm.
forces behind the attack can easily reach dhaka anytime...

attack on the pak team while they are in dhaka is on the cards now...
i'm starting to think that we should cancer the tour, esp given all our law forces are busy with finding the killers of our own genocide...

subcontinent is doomed....
1.5 billion people...we are hostage to few blood thirsty idiots...

hoodlum
March 3, 2009, 01:46 AM
i dont know wat to say! i just hope that all the players are safe!

Nocturnal
March 3, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm speechless. Very sad day for Cricket.
RIP to all security officers who have been killed.
Praying for all injured SL players for their quick recovery.
Felling really bad for all SL fans and Pak fans as well :(

Nocturnal
March 3, 2009, 02:02 AM
copying from another thread -
I'm speechless. Very sad day for Cricket.
RIP to all security officers who have been killed.
Praying for all injured SL players for their quick recovery.
Felling really bad for all SL fans and Pak fans as well :(

Antora
March 3, 2009, 02:05 AM
THis is just sad. I mean what is worng with them!? GAAAH! I just hope all the players are alright and as for the police who have died- RIP.
Pak cricket is definately over.

Braveheart
March 3, 2009, 02:05 AM
i kno this isnt probably the right section to post. But i just wanted everyone to know about this tragic incident. Sorry not 7-8 it think it was 2 SriLankan players shot in Pakistan!!!PHew.

Players are actually okay. They are going back on the next flight.

This is a sad day for Cricket and all sports in general. Cricketers are supposed to be the agents of peace. It is dispeakable what happened today.

I don't want to be selfish but I hope this does not affect Bangladeshi cricket in a negative way. In light of the current situation in Bangladesh, anything is possible.

Antora
March 3, 2009, 02:06 AM
lol I just realised there is like three threads on this issue- one in each section!

desirocker
March 3, 2009, 02:15 AM

No, PCB's gonna be willing to play. our govt. might not take the risk of bringing pakis to BD.

Joy Bangla. Joy Bangla Cricket.:flag::flag:

Anher
March 3, 2009, 02:21 AM
For the first time i am really feeling sorry for pakistan.
Subcontinent is doomed.
India, pakistan, srilanka, Bangladesh - whats is going on here?

Its time South Asia should stand united, help each other instead of playing blame game. Find the common ground and solve the problems on our own with respect the interests of every party, ethnic groups, majority, minority etc.
Non south Asian powers are behind those instability in South Asia along with their South Asian partners.

BANFAN
March 3, 2009, 02:29 AM

Crazy, BD will be more insecured in Pak than ever before & I'm sure No country will visit Pak in near future.

Pak will be safe to tour BD, if it is not proven meanwhile that Pak was invilved in the BDR incident

babubangla
March 3, 2009, 02:45 AM
For many years to come, the media headline for
“Best Possible” International Cricket in Pakistan may look something like this:
“Afghanistan Cricket Team Arrives in Pakistan for a 37-Match ODI Series”

Isnaad
March 3, 2009, 03:01 AM
Sad news..........Bangladesh touring Pakistan should be postponed.....:)

WarWolf
March 3, 2009, 03:23 AM
Very sad day for the whole world in fact.

It seems that we are not far away for the Qyamat day. Every year the world is going down and down.

nasimul
March 3, 2009, 04:20 AM
Sad day for cricket. Wonder what is going to be happen with WC 2011, Pakistan as one of the host nation. Waiting for ICC´s reaction.

Alien
March 3, 2009, 04:37 AM
The biggest enemy of Pakistan is not taliban but the people that are dealing with them, the Pakistan Goverment. Led by the most corrupted man on earth (Asif Ali Zardari) you cant expect anything reasonable from this moron.

Talibans are doing what they are good at, terrorising. No point critising the devil because they dont give a $hit. The one that isn't doing their job is the Pak Goverment. By giving up Swat valley last week and now this, it cant get any more evident that nation is doomed for hell.

Banglatiger84
March 3, 2009, 04:48 AM
one that isn't doing their job is the Pak Goverment. By giving up Swat valley last week and now this, it cant get any more evident that nation is doomed for hell.

Not to mention the loveable people of Swat are happy at having Sharia and Gop out of their valley

Rabz
March 3, 2009, 04:59 AM
Nasimul, there is nothing to wonder any more.
ICC is about to decide about WC'11 in 48 hours and i think we can expect pak's name to be excluded from the list. Nobody dares to even think of visiting pak at the moment.

If it wasn't for india, the subcontinent would have easily lost the chance to host the world cup.
Now, i think pak's matches wil be shared between the remaining three hosts.
My hunch, BD and SL will get bulk of the pak games.

Maddog
March 3, 2009, 05:02 AM
I just hope Pakistan realizes now there is no good terrorists... you can't make deal with them and hope to stay untouched... if you let mosquito in your room, they will breed and breed until they suck all the blood out of you and make you live the room.. or the other option is to call spade a spade and deal with it before it grows too far

Nafi
March 3, 2009, 05:31 AM
Pakistan cricket is dead.

Thank god the SL players did not receive fatal injuries.

nzfan
March 3, 2009, 05:40 AM
For the world cup either more matches will be spread around the remaining three countries or world cup will be held elsewhere

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 05:57 AM
This is a serious issue for the whole sub-continent including Bangladesh. Sportspersons were never a terrorist target in this region. Now it happend in Pakistan and it may well happen in India, Sri Lanka or even in Bangladesh if forces outside the individual country are behind such attacks. On the other hand, if local terrorists are to blame, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and possibly India are safe for cricketers.

It's a sad sad day for cricket as a whole. Pakistan government has failed to provide the security to their guests. They promised state head like security for the Indians, but they opted for only routine police security for the Sri Lankans. This is a huge mistake and no
t only pakistan but also cricket as whole will suffer for this security blunder.

Yameen
March 3, 2009, 06:03 AM
Nasimul, there is nothing to wonder any more.
ICC is about to decide about WC'11 in 48 hours and i think we can expect pak's name to be excluded from the list. Nobody dares to even think of visiting pak at the moment.

If it wasn't for india, the subcontinent would have easily lost the chance to host the world cup.
Now, i think pak's matches wil be shared between the remaining three hosts.
My hunch, BD and SL will get bulk of the pak games.

With this attack in Lahore, the Mumbai attack, Tamil rebels in Sri Lanka and the recent BDR fiasco in Bangladesh, u can forget cricket in the subcontinent..

I wouldnt be surprised, if the WC'11 is moved to a different location..but for now Goodbye to cricket in Pakistan and RIP to those that gave their life on this black day..

Navin123
March 3, 2009, 07:20 AM
This is preposterous! What have cricketers done to incur such a thing? This will show Pakistan in bad light. The country is dealing with enough problems already.

anakwalajinn
March 3, 2009, 07:36 AM
For many years to come, the media headline for
“Best Possible” International Cricket in Pakistan may look something like this:
“Afghanistan Cricket Team Arrives in Pakistan for a 37-Match ODI Series”

Even if the comment was 99% serious, and 1% joke, not the best time trying to be funny my brother...

Kabir
March 3, 2009, 09:29 AM
Not shocked enough after a much worse attack was made on our army officers...leaving so many dead. That I hope is the maximum shock anyone can ever get. Even worse than 9/11. But this is pretty close to the 2/25 attack in BDR.

The repurcussion? The whole sub-continent will be doomed from cricket ultimately. Mark my words.

Tigers_eye
March 3, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oh my God!!
I know you didn't mean it that way lets not get carried away. Words can sometimes play tricks on us. We all know this was done by selected few satan's chamcha. So comments against the whole nation may hurt others feelings. Certainly my Pakistani brothers who we meet at the mosque frequently are no terrorist nor do they have any link with them.

cricman
March 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
Personally this is my opinion, the Crickert Nations that refused to tour to Pakistan due to "Safety" really gave the Terrorists another option to target.

If anyone decides to say i told you so ... Shouldn't those nations played a significant role in Cricket Even being targeted

thebest
March 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
This is a serious issue for the whole sub-continent including Bangladesh. Sportspersons were never a terrorist target in this region. Now it happend in Pakistan and it may well happen in India, Sri Lanka or even in Bangladesh if forces outside the individual country are behind such attacks. On the other hand, if local terrorists are to blame, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and possibly India are safe for cricketers.

It's a sad sad day for cricket as a whole. Pakistan government has failed to provide the security to their guests. They promised state head like security for the Indians, but they opted for only routine police security for the Sri Lankans. This is a huge mistake and no
t only pakistan but also cricket as whole will suffer for this security blunder.
I agree except the bold one. No player is safe. You forgot about copy cat attack. I wish WC11 just moved from subcontinent. I have little faith of our security arrangement (remember the thugs of BDR met PM without any check) and the audacity of our home grown terrorist (bombing 61 district simultaneously or keeping a large metropolis like Bombay hostage for three days)

cluster11
March 3, 2009, 10:05 AM
I saw this just now on CNN. this is just crazy. 8 players hurt including two with gunshot wounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/03/pakistan.srilanka.attack/index.html

cluster11
March 3, 2009, 10:07 AM
Some more news from the link above:
"..
Among the cricketers, batsmen Tharanga Paranavitana and Thilan Samaraweera sustained the worst injuries.
Paranavitana, 26, was hit in the chest while Samaraweera, 32, suffered a bullet wound to the leg, according to Chamra Ranaveera, a Sri Lankan embassy attache. Both men are in a stable condition.
Six other players -- team captain Sangakkara, Chaminda Vaas, Ajantha Mendis, Suranga Lakmal, Thilan Thushara and Mahela Jayawardene -- and assistant coach Paul Fabrece were also hurt, along with one coach and 10 security staff. http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/tabs/interactive.gif Read profiles of the wounded players » (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/03/pakistan.srilanka.attack/index.html#cnnSTCOther2)
"This is a very well-planned attack," security official Nadeem Sayed told CNN. "The team is very much scared."
.."

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 10:13 AM
I think this thread should be moved to international cricket section.

thebest
March 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
How many thread we need for this? People please read before opening new thread

BANFAN
March 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
For the world cup either more matches will be spread around the remaining three countries or world cup will be held elsewhere

This has allready been said by Morgan.

World cup going elsewhere is very unlikely.

cluster11
March 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
I posted here because it falls under Internatioanl cricket and then I saw it on "Forget Cricket". I suggest Mods merge all of them. Probably better to put them all in "International cricket" section.

patriot
March 3, 2009, 11:17 AM
Like any other sport Terrorism seems to have its own set of fixtures. Sadly they seem to like the turf in the subcontinent a bit more than others .

Pakistan will now look to play all their matches in the UAE.Wonder which team would like to play test cricket under 45 degrees Celsius.

DJ Sahastra
March 3, 2009, 11:24 AM
This is a sad day. May god bless the souls of all who died fighting terrorists.

As for Pakistan, it will realise, although after paying a heavy price, that there is no such thing as 'useful terrorists'. I used to log on pakpassion for sometime and was shocked beyond words to read the thought-process of it's administrator, Wazeeri. To sum it up, he wanted 'good terrorists' as they were in Pakistan's interest and went to great lengths to pacify, tone down and justify his thoughts, maybe fearing some repercussions. It was an interesting insight into the minds of the high-class, suave and affluents of Pakistan - they still believe very strongly that terrorists who bring harm to Pakistan are bad terrorists and must be contained but ones wreaking havoc and killing innocents elsewhere (as in 'enemy nations') are good terrorists and must be supported and nurtured, albeit covertly.

As long as such thinking and mind-processes prevail, i doubt things to get better anytime soon.

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
Dastardly cowards. Thats what they are. I am thankful that SL players are safe. Also, RIP the murdered.

This a reminder to nations like ours. If you deal with the devil, sooner or later, the devil will rule you. If we don't destroy our wannabe talibans, then in twenty years, we will end up in the same way Pakistan is in now. Take note politicians, people, army..

Fazal
March 3, 2009, 11:36 AM
From BBC...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45528000/jpg/_45528384_006965416-1.jpg
A bomb disposal expert disarmed an explosive at the site of the attack.A bomb disposal expert disarmed an explosive at the site of the attack.

Just wondering where is his proper protective dress? To me its a pretty dangerous way to defuse a bomb.

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 11:40 AM
Ekhon WC er extra match gula amader cheshta kora uchit. Nobody will go to Pakistan. Why should they?

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
I know you didn't mean it that way lets not get carried away. Words can sometimes play tricks on us. We all know this was done by selected few satan's chamcha. So comments against the whole nation may hurt others feelings. Certainly my Pakistani brothers who we meet at the mosque frequently are no terrorist nor do they have any link with them.

Not really worried about their hurt feelings when people are dying elsewhere and in their own country. It is unfortunate, but what the state of Pakistan has started since its inception, her own people would have to end it one day. That is, if they want it to end. Their "Islamic" state has been an abject failure.

Murad
March 3, 2009, 12:06 PM

You are right, Mijan bhai. I didn't mean it that way. By saying "these Pakis" i meant these terrorists. Not the Pakis as whole. Most Pakis are good human beings.

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 12:12 PM
From BBC...

A bomb disposal expert disarmed an explosive at the site of the attack.A bomb disposal expert disarmed an explosive at the site of the attack.

Just wondering where is his proper protective dress? To me its a pretty dangerous way to defuse a bomb.

Look at his dress, it is difficult to tell wherher he is a member of armed forces or a terrorist group.

The picture is crying out the degree of unprofessionalism in Pakistan forces.

Nadim
March 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
ICC should not give any chance to Paksitan.enough is enogh.........how can they attack a sportsman......they haven't done any wrong..this proves Pakistan is a terrorist country..........

Becasue of the bus driver, the player survived coz they were throwing graned and rocket at the player, otherwise it would have been (u know what)..thanx Driver.

bharat
March 3, 2009, 12:29 PM
This is a sad day. May god bless the souls of all who died fighting terrorists.

As for Pakistan, it will realise, although after paying a heavy price, that there is no such thing as 'useful terrorists'. I used to log on pakpassion for sometime and was shocked beyond words to read the thought-process of it's administrator, Wazeeri. To sum it up, he wanted 'good terrorists' as they were in Pakistan's interest and went to great lengths to pacify, tone down and justify his thoughts, maybe fearing some repercussions. It was an interesting insight into the minds of the high-class, suave and affluents of Pakistan - they still believe very strongly that terrorists who bring harm to Pakistan are bad terrorists and must be contained but ones wreaking havoc and killing innocents elsewhere (as in 'enemy nations') are good terrorists and must be supported and nurtured, albeit covertly.

As long as such thinking and mind-processes prevail, i doubt things to get better anytime soon.

well said !! Their is no such thing as a good Terrorist , period.I saw that comment too ...and was about to comment but I let it go. I rather spend my time on banglacricket.com rather than argue with people who think there is such thing as a 'good terrorist'.

India too flirted with it in the early '80's with the LTTE but better sense prevailed.I think this proxy war is a concept borrowed from the CIA, the only difference being the monster created here is all set to engulf the creator.

Trust me , its better that the WC is shifted to Aus and NZ.Pak Govt will have to act fast else it will not only engulf their country but will take India and BD along with it.

I wish I was in the '90s man !! So much more peaceful.We had the war rheotoric in the '90's too but we knew the 'enemy' then.I have a feeling that its just the beginning.

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
Here's the bus drivers account... really scary. Sri Lankan cricketers are saved by a miracle...

Pakistani bus driver hailed a hero after attack
<hr style="color: transparent;" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> LAHORE, March 3 (Reuters) -

Sri Lanka's cricketers have Mehar Mohammad Khalil's quick wits to thank for their lives after the bus driver steered them to safety when they came under gunfire on Tuesday.

The diminutive Khalil drove the team to the safety of the Gaddafi stadium after it was attacked by around a dozen unidentified gunmen as they approached the stadium for the second test match.

"I was turning the bus towards the stadium near the main roundabout when I saw a rocket fired at us... it missed us and hit an electric pole after which all hell broke loose," Khalil told Reuters as he stood by the shattered bus.

The bullet-holed bus strongly suggested the target of the gunmen had been the Sri Lankan players.

"When the firing started one of the players shouted 'go, go' and somehow I kept my cool, ducked and pressed the accelerator and sped the bus towards the stadium," Khalil said.

The bus was attacked around 500 metres from the stadium with bullet shots sprayed on all four sides of the bus. "They were skilled and they knew what they wanted. God helped us because they also threw a grenade under the bus which exploded after the bus had passed over it," he said.

Khalil, a professional driver for the past 22 years, has worked as a bus driver for many other foreign visiting teams and said there normally would be a police presence in front of the vehicle and elite commandos behind to provide security.

"I salute the elite commandos who kept the attackers engaged while I was able to speed the bus away," he said.

Five police died in the attack.

Khalil said that working as a driver he usually developed a good rapport with the players.

"The players saved themselves by lying down on the floor of the bus as the firing was heavy from both sides," Khalil said. "I feel very sad today."

http://blogs.reuters.com/sport

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
I am with bharat, It's too big a risk to hold world cup 2011 in the sub-continent. Please move it to England or Australia. If not possible, please take Bangladesh out of it. I don't want to see Bangladesh as a terrorist target due to the world cup. If any terror attack happens in Bangladesh during the world cup it will take us back to the darkest ages. We are only reasonable at home, we can't take any risk with home matches.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 01:02 PM
I am with bharat, It's too big a risk to hold world cup 2011 in the sub-continent. Please move it to England or Australia. If not possible, please take Bangladesh out of it. I don't want to see Bangladesh as a terrorist target due to the world cup. If any terror attack happens in Bangladesh during the world cup it will take us back to darkest ages. We are only reasonable at home, we can't take any risk with home matches.

my sentiments exactly. india is already #1 target...SL might be safest country (gasp)...and if they target BD, BD will be finished.

the irony is that there is no "safe" country, except maybe North Korea...but i agree move the World Cup to England, where the desi commmunity will at least be able to follow their teams in large numbers.

sad, sad day for pakistan cricket and the sport in general.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 01:05 PM
Look at his dress, it is difficult to tell wherher he is a member of armed forces or a terrorist group.

the dress has to do with culture, which has nothing to do with "professionalism". to argue otherwise, is to akin to saying that only westerners can be "professional".

culture entails language, dress, food, and religion.

miraz bhai, i am sure your language, food, dress or religion match up with a native brit's...does that mean that you cannot be "professional"?

suppose you showed up to your lab wearing a lungi...would that impair your ability to do research in any way, shape or form?

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 01:09 PM
I will be remiss if I didn't say a word or two about the Sri Lankans. The comments coming out of their players, admins, politicians etc has been restrained, exemplary and professional. Imagine if it happened to any other team? I sometimes wonder if they are really a part of the sub-continent! It must be the island living. Even in a war like situation that has been prevailing there for decades, they have managed to hang on to decency. Wishing the players a speedy recovery.

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 01:18 PM
the dress has to do with culture, which has nothing to do with "professionalism". to argue otherwise, is to akin to saying that only westerners can be "professional".

culture entails language, dress, food, and religion.

miraz bhai, i am sure your language, food, dress or religion match up with a native brit's...does that mean that you cannot be "professional"?

suppose you showed up to your lab wearing a lungi...would that impair your ability to do research in any way, shape or form?

Dear Al Furqaan, I have no problem with the dresses of ordinary Pakistani citizens. Their dress will speak for their culture, but armed forces have defiite uniforms for a reason. This has nothing to do with the western culture. All armed forces all over the world have a very distinctive uniform which is markedly different than the dress of the ordinary people. This is where I have brought the professionalism issue. A bomb defusal specialist has to be a member of the armed forces and should follow a proper dress code during operation.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Dear Al Furqaan, I have no problem with the dresses of ordinary Pakistani citizens. Their dress will speak for their culture, but armed forces have defiite uniforms for a reason. This has nothing to do with the western culture. All armed forces all over the world have a very distinctive uniform which is markedly different than the dress of the ordinary people. This is where I have brought the professionalism issue. A bomb defusal specialist has to be a member of the armed forces and should have proper dress code during operation.

to my knowledge bomb squads are members of the police rather than military altho militaries might have their own bomb squads.

agreed about lack of professionalism, but i suppose my real beef was your characterization of a typically muslim dress with terrorist. thats a mistake even a liberal westerner wouldn't have made.

MohammedC
March 3, 2009, 01:28 PM
Very sad day for Cricket.

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 01:28 PM
The attire the man is wearing defusing the bomb is unsafe to begin with, not to say anything about the cultural vanity of his salwar-kurta. It is unprofessional, dangerous, as he doesn't even have gloves. How will a forensic expert work with contaminated evidence for later examination? BTW, why are Pakistani players wearing 'professional' attire while playing cricket? salwar-kurta would have matched better in line with cultural identity. No?

Miraz
March 3, 2009, 01:34 PM
agreed about lack of professionalism, but i suppose my real beef was your characterization of a typically muslim dress with terrorist. thats a mistake even a liberal westerner wouldn't have made.
I didn't make any reference of salwar kurta or muslim dress with terrorist. I was referring to the picture where it apparently shows a general public is defusing the bomb. He can't be a member of the armed forces who have strict dress code, so he must be a terrorist. Is it a very illogical interpretation of the picture? What do you think?

This is why I am calling it unprofessional. Keep in mind, terrorists do not have any dress code and can wear any dress including salwar kurta. I hope it clarifies my earlier comment.

Orpheus
March 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
I am with bharat, It's too big a risk to hold world cup 2011 in the sub-continent. Please move it to England or Australia. If not possible, please take Bangladesh out of it. I don't want to see Bangladesh as a terrorist target due to the world cup.

I disagree. I think any country on earth should be well equipped to avert a terrorist attack. Just need to spend a lot of money on security. Remember when Clinton came to Bangladesh - not a single crow was able to go near the president without being accounted for.

But yeah Aus and Nz are better equipped to host from security point of view because they already have a screening process for their residents - but subcontinent, we got too many ppl...

and in case of pakistan, it just gets extremely difficult when you have some pro-terrorist sentiment in the country.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 3, 2009, 01:51 PM
Thank god the players are not dead. Can you imagine if they killed even one of them? But why the SL players? It doesn't seem to be religiously motivated. Usually, religiously motivated attacks are preceeded by known terror threats (sometimes kept confidential to not arouse tension in the community) and in the aftermath, surviving terrorists parade around announcing their glorious works, rejoicing their accomplishments with the knowledege of having booked a resistent free no questions asked flight to heaven due to their religious martyrdom and unlimited access to 72 houris but in this incident no terror group is making any claim of responsibility. So, who was then responsible for this heinous crime? If committed by terrorists, are they becoming smarter and committing crimes in secrecy now? I hope Pakistan isn't turning into Tabilasthan.

Orpheus
March 3, 2009, 01:51 PM
and i agree with the person who said pakistan should gets its act together - it affects us all in subcontinent.

I hopes of brighter future...

Orpheus
March 3, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thank god the players are not dead. Can you imagine if they killed even one of them? But why the SL players? It doesn't seem to be religiously motivated.

dude, these attacks are not religion motivated. It has nothing to do with religion. Religion is simply a medium used to carry out these attacks. It's all about power hunger, attention seeking acts by some group - be it taliban, Ltte, hamas etc etc.

RazabQ
March 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
There _were_ some threats ... And perhaps the target was the Pakistan team as well - they just happened to leave the hotel 5 minutes later.

Also, got a nod to BanglaCricket on cnn.com ... take a look:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/03/pakistan.srilanka.attack.reaction/index.html

Orpheus
March 3, 2009, 02:15 PM
There _were_ some threats ... And perhaps the target was the Pakistan team as well - they just happened to leave the hotel 5 minutes later.

Also, got a not to BanglaCricket on cnn.com ... take a look:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/03/pakistan.srilanka.attack.reaction/index.html

good job. That is actually a nice comment... bette than anything you write here atleast.. lol

Ajfar
March 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
do these terrorists want to see pakistan not play cricket or somethin?? i'm so confused...pakistan is def not hosting the world cup 11 thats for sure

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 02:22 PM
So, Saeed Ahmed is your dosto in CNN. Big ups to you and BC!

djnaved
March 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
I am with bharat, It's too big a risk to hold world cup 2011 in the sub-continent. Please move it to England or Australia. If not possible, please take Bangladesh out of it. I don't want to see Bangladesh as a terrorist target due to the world cup. If any terror attack happens in Bangladesh during the world cup it will take us back to the darkest ages. We are only reasonable at home, we can't take any risk with home matches.

agree with miraz bhai

pakistan, a weird country......attack on politicians, attack on stars, now attack on players........ :-|

pakistaner choa india te lagche, so koyekdin por bangladeshea bhalo bhabei lagbe.......

Orpheus
March 3, 2009, 02:42 PM
agree with miraz bhai...

pakistaner choa india te lagche, so koyekdin por bangladeshea bhalo bhabei lagbe.......

by opting out of hosting the world cup as Miraz suggested will be more damaging to Bangladesh cricket in my opinion. It only sends one message that Bangladesh is not capable enough to provide adequate security.. then post-world cup - do you think foreign teams won't hesitate to tour?

we should do everything in our power to establish ourselves as a secular nation and god forbid if still something happens, then it will be seen as an one time attack/lapse of security (ie, mumbai) rather than an internal problem (ie Pakistan).

I am gonna say again, that it will be very dumb to opt out to host world cup. You can not fear nor can you compromise with terrorists.

Beamer
March 3, 2009, 03:31 PM
Opting out of the WC is not an option for us. Besides, it is still almost two years away. If anything, we will have more matches.

abz..+
March 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
itz a very sad news for cricket

Nadim
March 3, 2009, 03:37 PM
yes! abz is back.LOL

BANFAN
March 3, 2009, 03:44 PM
Imran Khan said very confidently, that he is sure that it is not an inside act. He suspects LTTE or some other group who wanted international exposure. ---on Geo TV

But unfortunately none has claimed responsibility so far. That should have come by now if someone wanted intl expo.

nycpro96
March 3, 2009, 04:09 PM
cant believe whats going on in pakistan. why do they have to get these terrorists in cricket too. wtf. this is really messed up. if the WC is in pak, i doubt anyone will attend. it should be placed in IND and BD.

bharat
March 3, 2009, 04:43 PM
cant believe whats going on in pakistan. why do they have to get these terrorists in cricket too. wtf. this is really messed up. if the WC is in pak, i doubt anyone will attend. it should be placed in IND and BD.

I think it is too much of a risk ..what if 'they' decide to 'teach India,BD,SL a lesson' for not including Pakisthan.

Cricket is important ..but one high profile incident in the WC will push the Foreign Investment into a disarray.These are troubled times and I hope India let go off the WC and the IPL (may be in England).

The returns are good but risk too much ..too much to handle.I'd say we should let go of the WC and hope that things would have improoved by 2015.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 04:46 PM

90% of AQ/taliban victims share a religion with 100% of the bangladesh team = not safe for us to tour either.

no one should tour PAK until this mess ends, and that will be a long, long time...if cricket is still played by then.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 04:51 PM
Opting out of the WC is not an option for us. Besides, it is still almost two years away. If anything, we will have more matches.

it is not safe anywhere in subcontinent.

india is already target number 1...SL has their LTTE problem which is right now under control in the sense that they don't shoot at touring cricketers or blow up high profile hotels.

and these groups could easily, easily, infiltrate BD and wreck the WC in mirpur...that would kill our cricket 10x worse than PAK cricket. pak at least has performance that can get them foreign tours or UAE venues with the likes of Aussies and other top teams.

we can't.

and if it is true, as some claim, that our own JMB/HuJi goons take orders from the land of the pure, then it will be even easier to target touring teams.

WC has to be shifted to England...2 years is ample time to make those preperations.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2009, 04:55 PM
dude, these attacks are not religion motivated. It has nothing to do with religion. Religion is simply a medium used to carry out these attacks. It's all about power hunger, attention seeking acts by some group - be it taliban, Ltte, hamas etc etc.

unfortunately, it has to do with the misinterpretation of islam (LTTE excluded)...so there is definitely a religious component.

root cause has to be identified and eliminated:

1) misinterpretation of quran/hadith/tafsir/tarikh/seerah

and

2) external religio-geo-political factors

Vampire
March 3, 2009, 05:53 PM
From BBC...

I ask the same question. He doesnt look anything like a bomb squad guy. FORGET some sorta uniform...he doenst even have protective helmet or jacket. No wonder pak aint a safe place. If this is the state of security ppl there, u can guess what kinda 'security' they gonna provide...the corrupt gov cant even provide the equipments the security. Their whole gov is full of tarek zia. No wonder they are making deal with terrorist is swat. cuz they know they cant do a single thing. The country is gonna be doomed sooner or later. And about cricket, i doubt any country gonna go there anymore for good few years untill they seriously change themself and their loving attitude towards these taliban.

Farhad
March 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
No, this this proves that you are a very, very, very dumb poster.

I'm pretty sure he's only eleven. Cut him some slack...

Buddhika_s
March 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
Still can't believe this actually happened.

RazabQ
March 3, 2009, 07:56 PM
Buddhika,

How is the Sri Lankan media describing this horrible development?

Buddhika_s
March 3, 2009, 08:11 PM
Buddhika,

How is the Sri Lankan media describing this horrible development?

Some people are questioning the decition to send the team to Pakistan, most anti gov't people are blaming the gov't

punjabsher
March 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
this is done by india spy agency to revange mumbai drama they created. now they hate sirilanka also because of their spy LTTE defeated. but no one is fooled! pakistan sirilanka friendship is even stronger!

bharat
March 3, 2009, 09:01 PM
this is done by india spy agency to revange mumbai drama they created. now they hate sirilanka also because of their spy LTTE defeated. but no one is fooled! pakistan sirilanka friendship is even stronger!

True, get revenge for the drama they created. Its all India's fault !!

The first thing (I think) for Pakistan's survival as a nation is to accept the fact that it has huge issues.Failure to do so (as I said earlier) will not only result in its doom but will result in Subcontinent's doom , India included.

punjabsher
March 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
i don want fight but bharatis are brainwash by their media. this clearly indian job create trouble in pakistan. wait for 2 days all proof coming out. even today they find all guns and rpg made in india used.

akabir77
March 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
i don want fight but bharatis are brainwash by their media. this clearly indian job create trouble in pakistan. wait for 2 days all proof coming out. even today they find all guns and rpg made in india used.

India can make rpg?

akabir77
March 3, 2009, 09:43 PM
I can take the logic that indian spy can be involved but i don't under stand is this why pakistan provided only one jeep of solders? where were the force and protection. all was sleeping with their thumbs in their @$$? may be they were busy counter ploting!!!!

punjabsher
March 3, 2009, 09:49 PM
hehehe no india buy from there master russia rpg special marked for indian army. same ones found.

pakistan provide three special police vans but thse indian attack from three different side and shoot grenade. police not trained for such attacks but they still fight bravely. two vans escaped but one van police all shaheed. inshallah from now on we will provide army level protection for our guests.

Mridul
March 3, 2009, 10:08 PM

I dont see any problem with the dress. This is the most common dress in Pakistan. As long as their is no prohibition of wearing such dress in the arm force...its all good.

Akib
March 3, 2009, 10:18 PM

Sounds like someone is in denial. What we south asians must learn is that its not always our neighbours fault. Look at your self before you point fingers at others.

Tehsin
March 4, 2009, 12:06 AM
Until/Unless the rest of the muslim word start calling out these goons and force them out of the human society, these leeches will continue to infest everyone's lives. How many more attacks will it take for the 'muslim' world to start giving some push back?

I was surprised that SL actually went to pakistan. I am not surprised that this happened in Pakistan, I am sure a lot of other folks knew this was bound to happen. However, I am surprised that there was not ample security. The Pakistani authorities are definitely living in a fools paradise.

I am glad that the SL players got out mostly unharmed. This is horrible for Pakistani cricketers, their fans, and cricket fans world over. The Maulana's need to start doing the right thing or Islam and muslims will suffer even more (not that they care).

RazabQ
March 4, 2009, 12:15 AM
punjabsher - easy on the ad hominem comments. - Mod

Rifat
March 4, 2009, 12:53 AM
This is Bad for Pakistan Cricket :mad:

speechless upon hearing the news.

These people behind the attack needs to use some common sense!

oh well, does that mean Pakistan Touring Bangladesh will be canceled? surprisingly, Asia Cup went fine about last summer in Pakistan...

again, i have no idea how cricket opposes the Islamic faith...if that is their reasoning, then instead of attacking/killing people they should tell themselves that everything besides so called "Islamic activities" should be forbidden(even if they knew what the term "Islamic Activities" Meant!")

if anybody uses common sense, these kind of acts give the message that Islam is a "religion of problems" rather than a religion of "solution for humanity"! though if indeed these acts are carriied out by muslims, and in these cases, most likely so!

we need a serious paradigm shift in the Muslim World! especially in area(s) lacking proper understanding, sympathy and education and common sense!

Rifat
March 4, 2009, 12:57 AM
tbh,

one thing for certain: Humanity is not progressing with these kinds of events in our daily lives!!!

everything else, for me, is uncertain!

Rabz
March 4, 2009, 04:53 AM
I was watching both ind/pak news channels yesterday..
its really funny how both of them jumped right into blamming each other right from the world go..
even though i have to tell you, indian were doing a far better job than the pakis...

indian news media was taking scene by scene and explaining how the attackers belonged to the same group who were behind mumbai attack, and let me tell you, it was pretty convincing. The trademarks and the similarities between these two attackers were convincingly close.

While on pak tele, they were pretty much just blaming it on india without any fact or proof. The reporter was in complete denial and simply looking for someone to blame.

Thakur ghore ke re? ami kola khaini obostha...

Shaan
March 4, 2009, 06:01 AM
I was watching both ind/pak news channels yesterday..
its really funny how both of them jumped right into blamming each other right from the world go..
even though i have to tell you, indian were doing a far better job than the pakis...

indian news media was taking scene by scene and explaining how the attackers belonged to the same group who were behind mumbai attack, and let me tell you, it was pretty convincing. The trademarks and the similarities between these two attackers were convincingly close.

can be sabotage in disguise ?

While on pak tele, they were pretty much just blaming it on india without any fact or proof. The reporter was in complete denial and simply looking for someone to blame.

Thakur ghore ke re? ami kola khaini obostha...

at an instant reaction two suspicion came to my mind:
1) Taleban : just lately paki armies destroyed Talebans two important basement.
2) avenge: from the beloved neighbor, latest Mumbai incident
<- oom shanti ->

Alien
March 4, 2009, 06:35 AM
I dont get Jayawardene when he says the that living in a troubled country (Sri Lanka) helped his team survive the attack. The reason they survived is because police defended them and the quick thinking driver drove off at top speed. Not like they hung around for a fight to be talking big.

Alien
March 4, 2009, 06:39 AM

Hey you know there was an asteroid that passed 60,000 kilometer over Australia yesterday. I think thats actually an Indian satellite firing a nuclear warhead above the skies of southern hemisphere. It looked like an indian satellite to be honest instead of 50m asteroid.

AGC
March 4, 2009, 08:37 AM
Shocking news. So upsetting to see what's happening in our region. Thank god all the players survived.

I am amazed at some comments here about Pakistan. This was clearly an act of terrorism.
Given what has happened in Bangladesh recently, it's ridiculous to undermine Pakistan.

Our own border security force, the force that is supposed to be protecting us, just brutally murdered over 70 of their own people.

Fazal
March 4, 2009, 06:03 PM
I dont see any problem with the dress. This is the most common dress in Pakistan. As long as their is no prohibition of wearing such dress in the arm force...its all good.

There is nothing wrong with that dress unless ofcourse he is a bomb disposal expert.

Without the proper bomb disposal gears, he is pretty much exposing himself to serious injury....

think about the possibilities if the bomb suddenly explodes while disarming it...

he can loose his hands... he can lose his eyes ... and see how he is exposing his groin area... he can even loose his manhood. I was thinking, atleast for the sake of his wife, he should atleast protect that area.

Akib
March 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with that dress unless ofcourse he is a bomb disposal expert.

Without the proper bomb disposal gears, he is pretty much exposing himself to serious injury....

think about the possibilities if the bomb suddenly explodes while disarming it...

he can loose his hands... he can lose his eyes ... and see how he is exposing his groin area... he can even loose his manhood.

Id say hes most likely dead if the bomb explodes.

punjabsher
March 4, 2009, 06:23 PM
From BBC...

this picture just pose for camera. look at scissors used. not real bomb. just style for bbc. :)

MysoreHuli
March 4, 2009, 09:52 PM

where were u trained? scotlandyard? FBI.. you r really great. u solved the cased within 24 hours. :floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:: floor::floor::floor:

Thanx for your jokes in this time of sadness. :)

MysoreHuli
March 4, 2009, 09:55 PM
this picture just pose for camera. look at scissors used. not real bomb. just style for bbc. :)

so, everything was a setup, just to eyewash the world.:floor::floor::floor:

MysoreHuli
March 4, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hey you know there was an asteroid that passed 60,000 kilometer over Australia yesterday. I think thats actually an Indian satellite firing a nuclear warhead above the skies of southern hemisphere. It looked like an indian satellite to be honest instead of 50m asteroid.

Alien.. ur right.. thnx for enlightening our friend punjabsher :floor::floor:

Beamer
March 5, 2009, 01:20 PM

I hope most Pakistani's don't think this way. I really do. It is time, nevertheless, to lift the collective heads buried in the sand. Continuous denial will not only drag your country to the hell hole that it already is in, it will take everybody nearby with it. Wake up please.

punjabsher
March 5, 2009, 03:34 PM
i will not argue because that will take discussion in angry direction. but it is debateble who is bury head in sand - indian or pakistanis?

Beamer
March 5, 2009, 04:05 PM
i will not argue because that will take discussion in angry direction. but it is debateble who is bury head in sand - indian or pakistanis?

You are right. There is no point in arguing. You do not see that Pakistan has a massive internal problem which is their own creation. The state has nurtured and cuddled this enemy to go after its enemy, only the created enemy is refusing to listen to its own master. Pakistan itself has suffered more in recent times. You will probably disagree. Its always India, US, Isreal etc. That is called a classic case of burying head in the sand. Only Pakistan can put an end to it. Nobody from outside can.

Take care.

JonBain
March 5, 2009, 08:08 PM
South Africa was out of test cricket for 20 years+ because of political problems.

With all the trouble in the world, it would be a good idea for ALL international sport to stop until the problems are solved.

Get into the mind of the bombers. They are thinking :
'how can you play games with war in all these places?'

The sports boycott in South Africa played a crucial role in giving people the sense of injustice to fight the problem.

Less cake for the princess, more porridge for the peasants.

wiseshah
March 6, 2009, 12:16 AM
Butt accuses Broad of lies over lax security

this clown doesnt know what he is saying.

Alien
March 6, 2009, 04:17 AM
Butt accuses Broad of lies over lax security

this clown doesnt know what he is saying.

Well, Broad went overboard by saying there was hardly any security. While luck was on their side as a rocket missed the bus and 2 grenades failed to explode, 6 cops got killed in the shoot out. He does have a point.

Yes the level of security could have been higher but no one thought terrorist would go this far to target SL players.

Banglatiger84
March 6, 2009, 05:17 AM
Broads comments were idiotic; typical snob. Compare that to the Sri lankan players' comments which were more professional. He accused the police of running away when 6 of them got killed. Still living in Raj days....

Miraz
March 6, 2009, 05:41 AM
Broads comments were idiotic; typical snob. Compare that to the Sri lankan players' comments which were more professional. He accused the police of running away when 6 of them got killed. Still living in Raj days....

From his viewpoint, he is dead right. He has seen death in front of his eyes (the driver was shot dead), fellow umpire bleeding to death and everybody lying on the floor waiting to be shot. The paltry untrained security force (police) was already dead or injured and the terrorists were firing bullets at their will. What do you expect him to say?

There was no one protecting them after the first wave of bullets. Have you seen the TV footage? No bullets were coming towards the terrorists, every bullet was aimed towards the players and umpires. After the player bus fled the scene, the remaining security went with them leaving the match officials behind. It was the match officials who were targeted like sitting ducks. I fully spport Broad and Taufel, they were denied sufficient security in their time of need.

auntu
March 6, 2009, 09:09 AM
What a carnage! Still can't believe myself. Umpire Simon Toufel was almost crying in the press conference in Sidney airport. What a shock for him watching terrorists firing at them..oh! Horrible.

bharat
March 6, 2009, 10:38 AM
From his viewpoint, he is dead right. He has seen death in front of his eyes (the driver was shot dead), fellow umpire bleeding to death and everybody lying on the floor waiting to be shot. The paltry untrained security force (police) was already dead or injured and the terrorists were firing bullets at their will. What do you expect him to say?

There was no one protecting them after the first wave of bullets. Have you seen the TV footage? No bullets were coming towards the terrorists, every bullet was aimed towards the players and umpires. After the player bus fled the scene, the remaining security went with them leaving the match officials behind. It was the match officials who were targeted like sitting ducks. I fully spport Broad and Taufel, they were denied sufficient security in their time of need.

I agree with Alien..PCB (Ijaz and Miandad) are going overboard in accusing the victim ! There is no reason for Board or Taufel to be gracious , I would do the same.Coommon guys this is not a game of cricket where you have to be gracious in victory or defeat.They were been shot at without an iota of resistance.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/World/tabid/313/articleID/94088/Default.aspx#video

Forget Presidential level security ..our local MLA gets more security.I might sount vindictive and I agree that one should not hit one (Pakistan) when down and out but I am simply pissed at the stupid PCB officials.Not only do they boch up but want the victims to cover their a$$.

BANFAN
March 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
It was no way near to presidential security as they promised. Promises haven't been met, that's frustrating. There could be attacks even after the best possible security, but then people won't be that pissed off, as it is now. PCB really needed to live upto their promises, it's an international affair & not like that you can make and break promises with your own people everyday.

Broad was completely justified IMO. How can a terrorist get the opportunity to fire the second shot if there is security? And what they have done was like the heroes of Hindi movies, one sided affairs.

PlanetPak
March 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
First of all condolences to the family members of those brave policemen and the mini bus driver who lost thier lives while trying to save the cricketers. Also a big thank you to the other members of police and the main bus driver. Thank you to Chris Broad for his bravery

S Lankan cricketers are generally the nicest people in our sport so for these terrorists to target them is beyond horrible.

bujhee kom
March 11, 2009, 10:09 PM
First of all condolences to the family members of those brave policemen and the mini bus driver who lost thier lives while trying to save the cricketers. Also a big thank you to the other members of police and the main bus driver. Thank you to Chris Broad for his bravery
S Lankan cricketers are generally the nicest people in our sport so for these terrorists to target them is beyond horrible.
right on faisal bhai. you said exactly what i feel and wish upon!

all the brave perished police officers and the mini-bus driver, may Allah help them rest in peace! and my deepest condolences for their family!

at the end of the day the terrorists will Inshallah fail. and the great cricket and cricketers of pakistan will prevail and shine!

may Allah give love and harmony, peace and sportmanship among the cricketers of all the cricket palying nations - pakistan, india, bangladesh, srilanka, south-africa, australia, new zealand, the carribean (WI), england, ireland, zimbabwe, kenya, scotland, canada, netherlands, UAE, bermuda and all the others!
may the Almighty Allah rain the same loving energy that He possesses on all the cricketers on this planet whether they are, black, white, brown, yellow, muslim, hindu, christian, catholic, buddhist, jewish, aethiest, agnostic, men or women! we are all his creation and thus his children, he will keep us together!:big_hug:

it is only love that will win at the end! because that is His (Allah's) true reflection!

PlanetPak
March 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
right on faisal bhai. you said exactly what i feel and wish upon!

all the brave perished police officers and mini-bus driver, may Allah help them rest in peace! and my deepest condolences for their family!

at the end of the day the terrorists will Inshallah fail. and the great cricket and cricketers of pakistan will prevail and shine!

may Allah give love and harmony, peace and sportmanship among the cricketers of all the cricket palying nations - pakistan, india, bangladesh, srilanka, south-africa, australia, new zealand, the carribean (WI), england, ireland, zimbabwe, kenya, scotland, canada, netherlands, UAE, bermuda and all the others!
may the Almighty Allah rain the same loving energy that He possess on all the cricketers on this planet whether they are, black, white, brown, yellow, muslim, hindu, christian, catholic, buddhist, jewish, aethiest, agnostic, men or women! we are all his creation and thus his children, he will keep us together!:big_hug:

it is only love that will win at the end! because that is His (Allah's) true reflection!

Very positive post bhai and i hope it all comes true

current situation of Pakistan is not just bad but its also terribly complicated with no obvious solution.

Alien
April 19, 2009, 09:34 PM
Thank god the players are not dead.

Thought you don't believe in any.

PlanetPak
July 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
How long will this thread stay as a sticky?

It brings back bad memories

PlanetPak
July 1, 2009, 09:49 PM
thanks

Ajfar
January 22, 2011, 01:22 PM
One of the main accused in the terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009 in Lahore has claimed that Lashkar-e-Jhangvi had plan to take the visiting players hostage and bargain for the release of some of its detained members.

Abdul Wahab alias Omar, who is under detention, told Geo News that the operation against the Sri Lankan team was planned in Waziristan.

"The operation was planned in Waziristan and there were 12 of us designated for this mission. I belonged to the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Amjad Farooqi group," the bearded Wahab dressed in a white shalwar kameez said.

He said the purpose of the attack at the Liberty roundabout was to take the Sri Lankan players hostage.

"We were supposed to take them hostage and then our superiors would have bargained their release in exchange for some of our companions in their custody," Wahab said.

He said the attackers arrived at Liberty roundabout just minutes before the arrival of the Sri Lankan team bus.

"We came in a rickshaw and on motorcycles that we had purchased for this operation," said Wahab, who has received training in Waziristan.

Five Sri Lankan players were injured and six Pakistani policemen and a van driver were killed in the attack in March, 2009, which led to foreign teams turning down tour to Pakistan and the ICC also moving the World Cup matches away from the country due to security concerns.

Pakistani authorities have made several arrests in the case.

Wahab said the men behind the attack had fled to Waziristan immediately after the attack.

"We got our ammunition and guns in Lahore a day before the operation was carried out," he added.

The attack was botched up after the driver of the Sri Lankan team bus managed to drive the bus through to the Gaddafi stadium in a hail of bullets. Wahab said that he was stationed behind the bus and fired at it repeatedly to ensure it stopped there.

<a href="http://cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/35446/lej-had-planned-to-hold-sl-cricketers-hostage">Link</a>

godzilla
January 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
^ and mister Kalam is planing to tour their country? Imagine them taking our players as hostage ... WW3 right there lol

Trigger_Tiger
January 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
^ and mister Kalam is planing to tour their country? Imagine them taking our players as hostage ... WW3 right there lol

Nothing to lol about really. Its not only sad for Pakistan cricket but pathetic that, that stupid Butt actually thinks its safe down there!

godzilla
January 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Nothing to lol about really. Its not only sad for Pakistan cricket but pathetic that, that stupid Butt actually thinks its safe down there!

am sorry if you felt offended ... the WW3 was a joke. Beside that yea it's a very hardcore issue. If they are freely admiting that their initial goal was to kidnap the players and exchange them for their own men then this is a serius issue.