PDA

View Full Version : WC might be in Austalia and New Zealand

Nafis_BD
March 4, 2009, 07:21 PM
The lahore attacks might move the WC to Australia and New Zealand. Really bad news.:mad:

Terror in Pakistan
Australia ready to host World Cup matches
Cricinfo staff
March 4, 2009
<TABLE class=pullquote style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=10 height=1></TD><TD class=photo>http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/335266.jpg?alt=2
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo>Australia are one of the standby hosts of the 2011 World Cup <NOBR>© Getty Images</NOBR>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Australia has offered to host 2011 World Cup matches if Pakistan loses its games due to security fears, James Sutherland, Cricket Australia's chief executive, has said. However, Sutherland said he would prefer the tournament to be hosted by India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Australia and New Zealand are the stand-by hosts of the tournament. Tuesday's terror strikes in Lahore - which injured five Sri Lankan cricketers - reopened the issue of players being afraid to tour the subcontinent over security fears.
"Officially, we are the standby hosts for the 2011 World Cup," Sutherland told AAP. "Our strong preference is for the event to go ahead in Asia, hosted by the countries that the ICC sees fit.
"We're the hosts for 2015 (World Cup) and we're confident we can put on a fantastic event, but we want the appropriate lead time into that event because of all the planning considerations necessary for it."
The ICC however played down suggestions (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/393309.html) that the matches will be moved away from Pakistan. President David Morgan said the matter would not be discussed before the next ICC executive meeting in Abu Dhabi in April, but "teams should not be expected to go there in the immediate future".

LINK (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/393389.html)

nzfan
March 5, 2009, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't mind :)

cricman
March 5, 2009, 01:35 AM
Give em 2011

Just give us 2015, Make the infrastructure, Security etc. Perfect as it can be

CholCholBD
March 5, 2009, 02:15 AM
why cant WE host all the matches that was supposed to be held in Pakistan?

There's like 4 countries on the hosting table, one goes out, 3 opens hands for more....so I dont think Aussies will get it.

I dont think we should wait to host 2015, because 1. Im growing older and cant take too many heartaches 2. Why waste an opportunity to host a world cup for the first time in our history 3. We dont know what might happen by 2015..Bangladesh might become the next Pakistan from what I see.

Banglatiger84
March 5, 2009, 02:39 AM
On one hand I would love to see a World Cup in Bangladesh

On the other hand, I shudder to think what would happen if God Forbid any terrorist attacks us during the games.

Antora
March 5, 2009, 04:21 AM
:D I sooo would not mind this !

Kabir
March 5, 2009, 10:20 AM
The idea has been revolving since the terror attack happened in Pakistan. Australia stated that they are ready, and nothing else.

Honestly speaking, I don't think the current political situation in the subcontinent is good for us to even think of hosting a tournament of this sort. Next thing you know, players are playing scared in the field, scared of being shot. No matter on whether this happens or not, that's another story.

I think giving us 2015 is a better option. Inshallah, at that time the subcontinent may be able to do their dhorao pakrao and get it up to the standard.

Nadim
March 5, 2009, 12:24 PM
i hope it moves from Asia........really want it..........

Dhruvo
March 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
The WC being held in AUS is very unlikely, even if pakistan doesnt host a single match on the 2011 WC , we will still have India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka .

Rabz
March 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
Its most likely the World Cup would still be held in Asia for 2011.
Dont think India's gonna be too happy if its moved somewhere else. After all, they are capable enough of holding the whole tournament on thier own. Its more of a regional cooperation and buying the votes when necessary they are sharing this honour with their 3 neighbours.

Esp after the disaster of last world cup when india lost to us and got out in the first round, the monetary forces behind such big events would also want to make up their loss by hosting the next event in the subcontinent, or in other words, in India.

Ajfar
March 5, 2009, 02:38 PM
BCCI will do everything in their power to keep the world cup 2011 no doubt about it..

sbsash
March 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
I was thinking I would go to BD in 2011 but if its cancelled then NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!Hope they still keeps it in Asia maybe just put Pakistan's matches in Bangladesh or Srilanka or India.

nycpro96
March 12, 2009, 04:01 PM
i was also thinking about goin to BD to watch WC opening ceremony. wth. they cant do this

nycpro96
March 12, 2009, 04:02 PM
just stage all the matches that were supposed to be staged in Pak in BD

kalpurush
March 20, 2009, 03:00 AM
:D I sooo would not mind this !
Don't we all know that?!!!;)

Kabir
March 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
Anything came out of the meeting that we should know about?

nycpro96
April 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
come on. awaiting news on this.