PDA

View Full Version : Ponting is a sadist idiot

Surfer
March 20, 2009, 11:21 AM
Siddle to Kallis, 1 run, He has reached his ton after a 11-month gap. Oh no the umpire has signalled it as leg bye! Kallis was celebrating already . What drama. He moved back and across and tried to work it to the on side and got a inside edge to his pad and it rolled off the off side. Kallis had pumped his fist up and the crowd were cheering. Hold on ... more drama as Rauf checks with Bowden and reverses the decision. kallis smiles and puts his hands up. Aha! its not over yet as Ponting charges out to have a strong word with Rauf .. he is not happy that Rauf has changed the decision. The scorecard has gone back to 99! why? . Crowd are puzzled and now it goes back to 100. Oh what a mess. And the crowd cheer again. What a farce. Poor Kallis, couldn't even enjoy the moment properly.

Ponting had no business questioning the umpire's decision over a run. For Ponting as the opposition captain, it was a run scored for SA....whether an extra or from the bat. But Ponting is just a dick. What a sadist this guy is!!

Neel Here
March 20, 2009, 11:37 AM
Siddle to Kallis, 1 run, He has reached his ton after a 11-month gap. Oh no the umpire has signalled it as leg bye! Kallis was celebrating already . What drama. He moved back and across and tried to work it to the on side and got a inside edge to his pad and it rolled off the off side. Kallis had pumped his fist up and the crowd were cheering. Hold on ... more drama as Rauf checks with Bowden and reverses the decision. kallis smiles and puts his hands up. Aha! its not over yet as Ponting charges out to have a strong word with Rauf .. he is not happy that Rauf has changed the decision. The scorecard has gone back to 99! why? . Crowd are puzzled and now it goes back to 100. Oh what a mess. And the crowd cheer again. What a farce. Poor Kallis, couldn't even enjoy the moment properly.

Ponting had no business questioning the umpire's decision over a run. For Ponting as the opposition captain, it was a run scored for SA....whether an extra or from the bat. But Ponting is just a dick. What a sadist this guy is!!

2 things I didn't understand.
one, why did ponting ask for a change in the decision.
two, why are you abusing ponting, since in this instance he didn't do anything sadistic.

Rabz
March 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
Surfer, that is as ridiculous as a comment i've ever seen.

I have not seen what happened and i will try to refrain from making any comment on the incident, but you calling Ponting, the guy who captained arguably one of the greatest cricket sides in history of the game and lifted the world cup twice, a sadist, is just outright bull****.

One World
March 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
Good post, Rabz!

No matter how peculiarly Ponting likes to control the field
calling him names is not the answer.

Farhad
March 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm confused. He wanted the decision reversed because he wanted Kallis to get his hundred? Because thats what it seems like. How is that sadist?

Surfer
March 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
I'm confused. He wanted the decision reversed because he wanted Kallis to get his hundred? Because thats what it seems like. How is that sadist?

If you had read it carefully, you would have realized that it was exactly the opposite.

1. Kallis takes a single and starts celebrating his 100 when Rauf signals a leg bye.
2. Then he consults the lag umpire and reverses his decision and awards the single to Kallis's account.
3. Ponting does not like it and confronts the umpire. He says that it is a leg bye and should be given as one.

I was not name calling. I meant the words literally. He is a sadist because his only apparent motive was to delay Kallis's century and thereby create some heartache. It takes a sadist mindset to do that. And he is an idiot because only an idiot would do something like that.

As a captain of opposition, it was a run scored. Whether off the bat or off the pad made no difference to the total in anyway. How would it hurt Ponting's or Australia's interest whether the run was given off the bat or off the pad? No way. He was just being what I said.

bdchamp20
March 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
Ponting is losing it.

Shehwar
March 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
If you had read it carefully, you would have realized that it was exactly the opposite.

1. Kallis takes a single and starts celebrating his 100 when Rauf signals a leg bye.
2. Then he consults the lag umpire and reverses his decision and awards the single to Kallis's account.
3. Ponting does not like it and confronts the umpire. He says that it is a leg bye and should be given as one.

I was not name calling. I meant the words literally. He is a sadist because his only apparent motive was to delay Kallis's century and thereby create some heartache. It takes a sadist mindset to do that. And he is an idiot because only an idiot would do something like that.

As a captain of opposition, it was a run scored. Whether off the bat or off the pad made no difference to the total in anyway. How would it hurt Ponting's or Australia's interest whether the run was given off the bat or off the pad? No way. He was just being what I said.

If you have played the game you would know that a batsman is under immense psychological pressure when he is approaching a milestone and therefore more likely to make a mistake....It was in Ponting's and Australia's interest to keep him on 99 for as long as possible as he would have believed there was a greater chance of Kallis getting out due to the pressure of reaching his ton! its a simple as that!

cricket_pagol
March 22, 2009, 09:02 AM
If you have played the game you would know that a batsman is under immense psychological pressure when he is approaching a milestone and therefore more likely to make a mistake....It was in Ponting's and Australia's interest to keep him on 99 for as long as possible as he would have believed there was a greater chance of Kallis getting out due to the pressure of reaching his ton! its a simple as that!

I agree with you, ponting just wanted to keep kallis under pressure.

MysoreHuli
March 23, 2009, 12:43 AM
Imagine if Aus had lost this match by just one run????

Shehwar
March 23, 2009, 03:09 AM
I agree with you, ponting just wanted to keep kallis under pressure.

Yeah bro..Its called NERVOUS NINETIES for a reason!

Surfer
March 23, 2009, 03:16 AM
Imagine if Aus had lost this match by just one run????

Whats your point?

Neel Here
March 23, 2009, 05:21 AM
ponting's motive is quite clear but he had no job asking the umpire to change his decision, the umpire is well within his rights to consult the other on-field umpire and make a decision and the fielding captain has no say on this matter.

but ponting was probably miffed that the decision change followed kallis' gesture that he had batted it and was not a leg-bye ! that doesn't make him sadist in any way.

mysorehuli, the contention was whether it was one run to kallis or one run to mr extra and not about reducing the total as you probably think .

Tigers_eye
March 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
When the incident happened the match was almost over (yes, in the second day). SA were sitting pretty 391/3 replying to Aus 209/10. Ponting is a cry baby, and a drama queen. Had this been an "out" call reversed he had right to ask (not argue). He had no right to do what he did against Rauf
Ponting charges out to have a strong word with Rauf.
Match referee needs to be more harsh on this whiner. Yes, I am calling him names cause that is what he deserves. He is a "kolonkko" for Australian cricket sportsmanship.

billah
March 25, 2009, 05:38 PM
Ponting is the worst sprotsman, by far. He has firmly established Australia as the worst behaving team on field, worst talking off the field. He has single handedly misguided many present and future Aussie cricketers by setting examples of on-field bullying, slandering, threatening and of hurling personal insults and attacks. Even Aussies hate him for his behavior these days.

JonBain
March 31, 2009, 02:30 PM
When I initially read that on cricinfo - I also thought, that ponting was really childish.
And the idea of the nervous nineties is not how it works, most accomplished batsmen are more likely to go out soon after they get to 100, as they subconsciously relax and play a tired shot.

Its only the nervous nineties when you have never really scored a 100, or perhaps only 1 or 2.

Good on you surfer.
Indians are true sportsmen.
Aus are spoilers.

Surfer
April 2, 2009, 05:30 PM
When I initially read that on cricinfo - I also thought, that ponting was really childish.
And the idea of the nervous nineties is not how it works, most accomplished batsmen are more likely to go out soon after they get to 100, as they subconsciously relax and play a tired shot.

Its only the nervous nineties when you have never really scored a 100, or perhaps only 1 or 2.

Good on you surfer.
Indians are true sportsmen.
Aus are spoilers.

???

Got something to say? Say it up front.

Tigers_eye
April 10, 2009, 09:52 AM
More sportsmanship from Ponting. Cricinfo commentary:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>43.5</TD><TD width="100%">Geeves to Duminy, (no ball) FOUR, oh the above waist-high full toss on the off stump line, Duminy goes for the pull and it flies off the edge over the keeper. Ponting rushes to have a chat with the umpire. It was indeed a high full toss </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Why not chat with your player? What is with this guy always running towards the umpire? Why can't teams complain against him officially? He tries to intimidate umpires. That has to be some kind of violation.

Disgrace for all gentleman.

One World
April 10, 2009, 12:07 PM
A typical Aussie.

Rabz
April 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
A typical Aussie.

And exactly how many Aussies have you met in your lifetime that you can make a generalised comment on a whole nation?

One World
April 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
And exactly how many Aussies have you met in your lifetime that you can make a generalised comment on a whole nation?

Well my cousins are Aussies. They are exceptions.
McGrath is not like that at all. Krishna's can control him. Make a widower fly back to Delhi for Photo sessions.

kalpurush
April 10, 2009, 04:11 PM
???

Got something to say? Say it up front.
[বাংলা]যার মনে যা, ফালদা উঠে তা...!!![/বাংলা];)

Zeeshan
April 10, 2009, 07:24 PM

oije...arekjon abar taal day...

Abid_Khan
April 10, 2009, 07:27 PM
A typical Aussie.

A typical aussie... yeah I can tell you've seen a whole lot of aussies in your time...

One World
April 10, 2009, 08:01 PM
A typical aussie... yeah I can tell you've seen a whole lot of aussies in your time...

I have seen Ponting and Warne. Don't get me wrong bro. I am actually one of the few who denied calling him names. Browse through the posts and you may find gems.

Surfer
April 10, 2009, 10:29 PM

Sorry, I cant not understand Bengali.:(

Electrequiem
April 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
"যার মনে যা, ফালদা উঠে তা...!!! "

Translation: The most salient behavioral responses of a person stem straight from the heart.
Translation: The first thing that comes to your mind is what your heart thinks is true.

Neel Here
April 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
McGrath is not like that at all.
you mean the same person who called jayasuria a "black monkey" ??

I would add just another word to one world's comment
a typical aussie cricketer

But isn't it satisfying to give it back to them with a clever one-liner when you are doing well?

Mark Greatbatch :You have got to be careful when you are batting. If you get involved too much, you lose your focus to bat. I think Hughes spat at me once in Auckland. He just came down the wicket - and he used to swear all the time - but this time he decided to spit at me, and he got me in the pad. And he got into trouble because he was on TV. He got reprimanded for that.
http://content.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/397410.html

some more words, chappel, under arm etc etc ...... :-D

One World
April 11, 2009, 01:56 PM
How about Dean Jones to Hashim Amla story?

http://content.cricinfo.com/slvrsa/content/story/255892.html

Neel Here
April 15, 2009, 09:04 AM
that too !

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
Yes, I dislike Ponting to the core because of his behavior and attitude. But have to admit he did help Australia with his bat. He just crossed 11,000 test runs. Some 1,700 behind Sachin.

Surfer
July 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
Great batsman really. Superb batting today.

Rabz
July 10, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ponting is 34 and probably got a good 3-4 years left in him.
This Australian team never needed him more than now.
He is the lone survivor of the great Australian warriors who once conquered the world at ease.
He was there when it really started under Steve Waugh and it was him who took them to new heights.

Then there came the inevitable demise. The Greats, one by one, all retired and he is watching how his empire is falling into pieces.

Australia is going thru a rebuilding process. Along with the few last survivors of great era ( Katich, Clarke, Lee), Ponting needs to lead this team from the front and he is doing great so far. With him leading from the front and Clarke learning from him, this Australian team would still be the top contenders.

His ability to stand up when its needed the most is truely inspiring. This new team provides him a great opportunity to take himself to dizzy heights.

He is all likely to become the leading run scorer for Australia in tests. If he can continue his form, he might just finish his career as leading test run scorer of all time, crossing Tendulkar in the process. Plus if he can rebuild the team properly and manages to pass on the baton to Clarke (most likely replacement as of now) successfully, he can immortalise his name in Aussie and world cricket alongside such Greats as Sir Donald Bradman, Steve Waugh, Clive Lloyd and Imran Khan.

Imteaz
July 10, 2009, 10:43 PM
Strange.

AsifTheManRahman
July 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
Strange.
Indeed. 180 degrees.

Purbasha T
July 11, 2009, 05:40 AM
Lol, at the title and the last few posts.

Sohel
July 11, 2009, 06:30 AM
Sadiot or Masogenius, he sho' can bat massah!

Surfer
July 11, 2009, 06:41 AM
Lol, at the title and the last few posts.

There are no conflicts between the title and the last few posts. Ponting is a good batsman which the title never contradicted, but he still remains a sadist idiot for various unsportsmanlike behavior. I don't think too many think that he is a fair sportsman. That however can not belittle his skills as a batsman.

Purbasha T
July 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
There are no conflicts between the title and the last few posts. Ponting is a good batsman which the title never contradicted, but he still remains a sadist idiot for various unsportsmanlike behavior. I don't think too many think that he is a fair sportsman. That however can not belittle his skills as a batsman.

Well, yes; they're not contradictory or conflicting if you see it that way. But in general, a thread created in order to get the crap out of someone is now seeing people praising that someone.

OZGOD
July 12, 2009, 12:31 AM
There's no doubt that Punter is not the most likeable bloke around, especially if you are in the opposition. He's not even that liked in Australia. He is disliked but grudgingly respected in SA and England, not for his lovable personality but for his batting prowess. He is hated in the subcontinent, particularly India, because to people there he represents the worst excesses of the "Ugly Australian" stereotype - he is seen as arrogant, rude, disrespectful, racist, boorish, a cheat, someone who will do anything to win by hook or crook, not a gentleman, etc which is the view most people in India (and the subcontinent) have of us Australians.

Certainly he doesn't have the charisma of Steve Waugh, the likeableness of Mark Taylor or the leadership aura of a hard man like Allan Border, someone so unforgiving that he once made a vomiting, delirious and dehydrated Dean Jones go back out to bat after the exhausted Jones had lost control of his bodily functions and urinated on himself after getting a double ton in the Tied Test against India in Madras back in the 80s. Deano had begged AB to retire him hurt but AB said "You're a weak Victorian. I want a strong proud Australian. I want a Queenslander. You can throw your wicket away if you like, but I'm not going to retire you hurt. Get back there and bat for your country." Jones went back out and scored 8 more runs before he was bowled for 210 and to this day AB says it was the greatest knock he had ever seen.

Ponting's a bloke that we would call a mongrel, a street fighter. He's the type of bloke you would hate to face in opposition but would love on your team as he will defend you to the death and support you through thick and thin. The oppo hates him, his own countrymen find him arrogant and annoying, but his players love him. He's an ordinary captain in my opinion, he is too defensive, he struggles with his field placements and bowling changes. He doesn't have the instincts of a Shane Warne or the innovativeness of a Steve Waugh but one thing that I have to give him credit for is that he has always led from the front, by example, with his batting and he has managed to get the best out of a bunch of OZ newbies like Siddle, Hilfenhaus, North, Hughes etc.

That may yet prove to be his best legacy - that he prepared the next generation well enough to take up the mantle of the previous. People don't have to like him - I don't personally as an Australian - but at the end of the day it's not a popularity contest.

Surfer
July 12, 2009, 10:56 PM
There's no doubt that Punter is not the most likeable bloke around, especially if you are in the opposition. He's not even that liked in Australia. He is disliked but grudgingly respected in SA and England, not for his lovable personality but for his batting prowess. He is hated in the subcontinent, particularly India, because to people there he represents the worst excesses of the "Ugly Australian" stereotype - he is seen as arrogant, rude, disrespectful, racist, boorish, a cheat, someone who will do anything to win by hook or crook, not a gentleman, etc which is the view most people in India (and the subcontinent) have of us Australians.

Certainly he doesn't have the charisma of Steve Waugh, the likeableness of Mark Taylor or the leadership aura of a hard man like Allan Border, someone so unforgiving that he once made a vomiting, delirious and dehydrated Dean Jones go back out to bat after the exhausted Jones had lost control of his bodily functions and urinated on himself after getting a double ton in the Tied Test against India in Madras back in the 80s. Deano had begged AB to retire him hurt but AB said "You're a weak Victorian. I want a strong proud Australian. I want a Queenslander. You can throw your wicket away if you like, but I'm not going to retire you hurt. Get back there and bat for your country." Jones went back out and scored 8 more runs before he was bowled for 210 and to this day AB says it was the greatest knock he had ever seen.

Ponting's a bloke that we would call a mongrel, a street fighter. He's the type of bloke you would hate to face in opposition but would love on your team as he will defend you to the death and support you through thick and thin. The oppo hates him, his own countrymen find him arrogant and annoying, but his players love him. He's an ordinary captain in my opinion, he is too defensive, he struggles with his field placements and bowling changes. He doesn't have the instincts of a Shane Warne or the innovativeness of a Steve Waugh but one thing that I have to give him credit for is that he has always led from the front, by example, with his batting and he has managed to get the best out of a bunch of OZ newbies like Siddle, Hilfenhaus, North, Hughes etc.

That may yet prove to be his best legacy - that he prepared the next generation well enough to take up the mantle of the previous. People don't have to like him - I don't personally as an Australian - but at the end of the day it's not a popularity contest.

Good post. Agree with most parts.

Surfer
July 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
Look who is talking:

Ponting angered by England tactics

Ricky Ponting delivered a stinging critique of England's gamesmanship after a contentious final session in which the hosts' 12th man and physiotherapist made multiple visits to the centre. The Australian captain's comments were tantamount to an accusation of time-wasting by an England side attempting to save the first Test, and will do little to defuse tensions between the two sides following a fractious day's play at Sophia Gardens.

Hostilities between the camps commenced before a ball was bowled on Sunday, with Mitchell Johnson and Kevin Pietersen involved in a verbal altercation after the latter hit balls in the direction of the Australian fast bowler. They continued after the commencement of play, with Andrew Flintoff temporarily standing his ground to a Ponting catch at second slip, and again when Stuart Broad and Peter Siddle bumped shoulders in the final session. A pitch invasion staged by a pair of protesters further added to the intensity of the occasion.

But the controversy most likely to linger was the involvement of Bilal Shafayat and Steve McCaig, the England 12th man and physiotherapist, who made appearances in the 102nd and 103rd overs of the innings despite scant evidence that the batsmen, Jimmy Anderson and Monty Panesar, called upon their services. Shafayat ran gloves and water to the batsmen - receiving a none too subtle chirp from Ponting for his troubles - while McCaig briefly checked on their physical condition at a time when Australia was desperately pressed for time to claim a victory that, barely an hour before, appeared an inevitability.

Speaking after the match, Ponting expressed his frustration over England's apparent stalling tactics, reprising memories of his vocal disapproval of England's use of substitute fielders during the 2005 Ashes series. An Australian team spokesman confirmed they would not make an official complaint, although Ponting invited the ICC's match referee, Jeff Crowe, to review the incident.

"I don't think it was required, he changed [the gloves] the over before and I don't think they'd be too sweaty in one over," Ponting said. "I'm not sure what the physio was doing out there. I didn't see anyone call for the physio to come out. As far as I'm concerned, it was pretty ordinary, really. But they can play whatever way they want to play. We came to play by the rules and the spirit of the game. It's up to them to do what they want to do.

"A few guys were questioning the umpires, a few guys were questioning the 12th man, but it's not the 12th man's fault. Someone from upstairs was sending him out there. That's where it needs to be taken up. There was nothing there that we could do out on the ground. We had to get them off as quick as we could and get a couple more overs.

They can play whatever way they want to play. We came to play by the rules and the spirit of the game. It's up to them to do what they want to do

"I was unhappy with it, but it lasted a couple of minutes, and we got them off the ground. I don't want to make that big a deal with it. I'm sure others will be taking it up with the England hierarchy, as they should. It's not the reason we didn't win. We've got to look at those reasons."

Andrew Strauss, the England captain, denied his side had contravened the spirit of cricket, insisting that the reasons for Shafayat's presence on the playing field in the dying moments of the game were legitimate.

"There was a lot of confusion, to be fair," Strauss said. "We first of all sent the 12th man out to let Jimmy and Monty know there was time left, and not the overs. Then there was drink spilled on Jimmy's gloves, and he called up to the dressing room and we weren't sure if he needed 12th man or physio. If Ricky is upset, that's a shame.

"Our intentions were good. We weren't trying to deliberately waste a huge amount of time. Those weren't our tactics. Those two were playing very well out in the middle and the reality of the situation is that Australia didn't take the final wicket and we got away with a draw."

Both captains sought to defuse the Johnson-Pietersen and Broad-Siddle rows. "It was just a few guys on the ground taking each other's space," Ponting said of Johnson's verbal exchange with Pietersen. Strauss, meanwhile, insisted the match had been played in a good spirit. "I don't think there were lines crossed," he said.

http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/413964.html

OZGOD
July 14, 2009, 12:56 AM
It's all gamesmanship.