PDA

View Full Version : Kolkata to have multiple captains

bdchamp20
March 25, 2009, 12:23 PM
http://content.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/396703.html
Chris Gayle, Brendon McCullum, Brad Hodge named as players who could potentailly share the leadership with Ganguly according to John Buchanan the coach of the Knight Riders.

What effect does this have on Mashrafe's role in the team?

Zeeshan
March 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
You see.... we kolkattans have multiple personalities....

RazabQ
March 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
[বাংলা]তো অামাগোর Ash এর কি দোষ?[/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
March 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
... (http://content.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/396703.html)
What effect does this have on Mashrafe's role in the team?
Since the coach is playing the flute there shouldn't be any affect.
তো অামাগোর Ash এর কি দোষ? [/বাংলা]
Bangali choley patay patay. Bucanon got the inspiration from BCB. This committee thing is so old.

cricket_dorshok
March 25, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ganguly's days are counting. simple.

BANFAN
March 26, 2009, 03:50 AM
Idea wasn't copy right registered by BCB? :)

Spitfire_x86
March 26, 2009, 06:18 AM
It's a recipe for disaster. I feel bad for Mash. Hope he doesn't get involved in any kind of team politics.

thebest
March 26, 2009, 07:23 AM
European journalists used to say ' Every day Sepp Blatter has 50 ideas and 51 of them are wrong'. We could also now say this to Buchanon.
Cricket is a captain's game. A good team can become crap and vice versa depending upon the captain unless you are Australia in the 1990 - 2005 or West Indies 1975 - 1991. Look at what happened to team India before and after Dada or Pakistan before and after Imran

Beamer
March 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
Its a ploy to sit him in some matches. Ganguly's time is nearing and he is a total liability on the field. There is a fair chance that he will not play the game he is not serving as a captain. Stripping the captaincy outright from him is a hard task in Kolkata. So, the next best thing- appoint multiple captains.

sharjilh
March 26, 2009, 11:45 AM
Ganguly's days are counting. simple.

People in Bengal will tear Shahrukh Khan apart if they try to phase Ganguly out of the game, but I think soon Ganguly will become their coach/manager. Id say its counting days for John Buchanan :P

Tigers_eye
March 26, 2009, 11:48 AM
Its a ploy to sit him in some matches. Ganguly's time is nearing and he is a total liability on the field. There is a fair chance that he will not play the game he is not serving as a captain. Stripping the captaincy outright from him is a hard task in Kolkata. So, the next best thing- appoint multiple captains.

Apart from Ganguly issue can this work in Intl cricket? I think it can if the implementation is correct and players buy in "change". Everything depends on "w"s. (wins)

Beamer
March 26, 2009, 12:04 PM
Apart from Ganguly issue can this work in Intl cricket? I think it can if the implementation is correct and players buy in "change". Everything depends on "w"s. (wins)

Eventually, it will have to work. It will be increasingly tough ( if not already ) to find a captain/player who excels in all three versions and holds the spot beyond any question. So, Yes..even internationally, it will happen. We have already seen two captains for two different versions in the same team.

RazabQ
March 26, 2009, 02:42 PM
No it doesn't work. You might have a VC for fielding, VC for bowling and VC for batting, if things really really get innovative. But just like there's only one captain on a ship, one president in the white house, so there can only be one person the buck stops with when the leather is flying past batsmen's helmet.

Beamer
March 26, 2009, 02:50 PM
RazabQ

No one knows what future holds. What seemed impossible even a decade ago is reality now. It might not work. Lots of initiatives don't, however, a lots of different initiatives are taking place right now, and by that sheer number alone, newer ideas will come up. Lets see what happens. I don't rule out anything anymore in cricket.

Rifat
March 26, 2009, 03:40 PM
RazabQ

No one knows what future holds. What seemed impossible even a decade ago is reality now. It might not work. Lots of initiatives don't, however, a lots of different initiatives are taking place right now, and by that sheer number alone, newer ideas will come up. Lets see what happens. I don't rule out anything anymore in cricket.

:) that's the spirit!

Tigers_eye
March 27, 2009, 08:34 AM
No it doesn't work. You might have a VC for fielding, VC for bowling and VC for batting, if things really really get innovative. But just like there's only one captain on a ship, one president in the white house, so there can only be one person the buck stops with when the leather is flying past batsmen's helmet.
With the way things are heading that may be the coach you are talking about. The more you divide roles, the more concentration the players can give on assigned tasks. Responsibility and accountiblity comes in to play. That is professionalism. We already saw co-captains in several team sports. Depending on coach's strategy and the hold he has on the team. We blame him for every failure already. Difficult to do with veterans who oppose change.

akabir77
March 27, 2009, 08:57 AM
my own observation... cricket team needs a dictator. Democracy in cricket doesn't work. so i bet KKR thing will fail 100%. beside Jhon had no clue about bengali pach... so he will find out real soon how many paddy tey how many rice.

BANFAN
March 27, 2009, 10:46 AM

That's much more organized approach.

If many are responsible for one task in general, none is likely to perform it.

Beamer
March 27, 2009, 12:09 PM
With the way things are heading that may be the coach you are talking about. The more you divide roles, the more concentration the players can give on assigned tasks. Responsibility and accountiblity comes in to play. That is professionalism. We already saw co-captains in several team sports. Depending on coach's strategy and the hold he has on the team. We blame him for every failure already. Difficult to do with veterans who oppose change.

I was thinking along the same line. Sort a like Baseball, isn't it? Manager is the ultimate boss, with coaches for each position. Will 20/20 follow that trend? Buchanan has that type of plan, if you ask me. This version is so radically different that one bad over may cost you a game and you may never have the chance to recover, unlike in ODI's and definitely in Tests. Throw in the money factor as well as it is a completely professional venture, with little or no room for nationalistic sentiments. Things move so fast in this version that some one sitting in the 'dugout' may, and I repeat may, have a better understanding of the proceedings. Again, I say, that it might not work. But, again, cricket as we know has changed and will continue to.

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Too many Bangali captains...

RazabQ
March 27, 2009, 04:37 PM
Beamer je pirates fan bujha jachche :)

Beamer
March 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
Beamer je pirates fan bujha jachche :)

No. Not that minor league team. They are a disgrace for the city of champions.

Tintin
March 30, 2009, 11:24 PM
I would like some advice on investing in an effigy business in Kolkata. Hoping to make a killing over the next two months over the effigies of Buchanan and the other three captains.

sbanana
March 31, 2009, 11:27 PM
Buchanan tried a divide and rule policy .. but at last Dada has the last laugh. hes the sole captain.