PDA

View Full Version : BCCI/IPL boycott??

al Furqaan
April 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
given BCCI's open stance of defying the FTP and refusing to host us anytime soon, should BC members and BD fans in general boycott the IPL? are the BCCI justified in refusing to host BD purely for financial reasons?

should we provide funding and dollars to the IPL by watching their games of 'garbage (i.e 20-20) cricket' when they refuse categorically to host us for monetary reasons? i am talking people watching on TV or buying legal internet streams (the illegal sopcast crew would technically be benefitting from a product despite tangibly "boycotting" it).

does the inclusion of mash and ashraful negate this possible insult?

feel free to discuss...

Rabz
April 9, 2009, 01:34 PM
Not enough option.
Where is: No, cuz i dont mind IPL.

And this has nothing to do with Ash/Mash inclusion. Only thing is that their inclusion added the flavour for me. Now i have more reason to watch the games than last year.

Why blame India for grabbing the perfect opportunity and create a super cricket league with all the glitz and glamour.

I see IPL just as a part of evolution for cricket. First there was only test matches. The whole cricketing world played that only version for almost 90 years and then we got ODI's.

We played One day cricket for almost 35-36 years and in the last 10-15 years, we have infact over played it. The cricketing nations were stuck to this two version for years and the nature of the game is such that there was room for further diversification.

So, it gave rise to Twenty20 cricket.

Like its predecessors, T20 was also developed in England ( if i'm not mistaken). But this time around, its the Indians who were at it first and backed by their financial might, its only them who could create a mega league with all the top cricketing stars and can afford to pay them a money which the cricketers could only dream of.

As because we have such a handful numbers of countries playing cricket, there was room for only
1 "PL" and the Indians were quick put an "I" in front. Had it been like football, which has literally the world at its feet, we can enjoy simultenous great leagues like EPL, Seria A, La Liga, Bundes Liga and can still maintain the high standards.

So, dont blame BCCI for being the perfect opportunist and why make IPL the scapegoat?

Plus we miss out on some pure fun and thrill??

Murad
April 9, 2009, 01:35 PM
I can sense a lot of heated arguments here in few hours.

I will only follow the matches Ash and Mash play. I will check at the start if they are playing or not. If they play then I will follow, otherwise I will go back to sleep again. (matches starts at 5/6 AM)

Purbasha T
April 9, 2009, 05:04 PM
I can sense a lot of heated arguments here in few hours.

I will only follow the matches Ash and Mash play. I will check at the start if they are playing or not. If they play then I will follow, otherwise I will go back to sleep again. (matches starts at 5/6 AM)

Well, mine start at proper time; BUT I was gonna do the same as you. That's just the reason why I don't really watch cricket if BD is not playing and similarly, if Mash or Ash doesn't get to play, then bro I'm too ouddie like a souddie.

al Furqaan
April 9, 2009, 05:37 PM
Why blame India for grabbing the perfect opportunity and create a super cricket league with all the glitz and glamour.

its not about the IPL or any other league or business venture.

2 things irk me the most:

a) BCCI is the richest board in cricket. in fact, they probably gross more money than the NY Yankees do. even if they don't, its comparable. if any board can afford to host us, its them. the only thing one can praise them for is admitting to being money-hungry.

b) their stance on the ICL. because of this stance, we've lost players like aftab from our ODI side and a few other quality cricketers like farhad and maybe alok. the players can't really be blamed that much. we are also not in the PCB's position to declare war on the BCCI by re-calling the rebel cricketers. hence a fan boycott seems most likely.

crikfreak
April 9, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, mine start at proper time; BUT I was gonna do the same as you. That's just the reason why I don't really watch cricket if BD is not playing and similarly, if Mash or Ash doesn't get to play, then bro I'm too ouddie like a souddie.

same here.... i'm only gonna follow the matches in which mash is there... others... i dont really care... i'll watch them if i get time....

Abid_Khan
April 17, 2009, 03:24 AM
yeah i agree with the others

bdchamp20
April 17, 2009, 03:29 AM
Limited boycott, not because I hate IPL but more because I don't care enough to follow the other matches. I will try and watch the matches live only if Ash or Mash are playing. For the other matches I will just read the scorecard after the match and if I am bored and have time on my hands I will watch the highlights.

bdchamp20
April 17, 2009, 03:31 AM
It won't matter if I or you decide to boycott anyway. People in Bangladesh were glued to the TV screens last time eventhough there was hardly any Bangladeshi presence and imagine now when two of the country's most popular players will be playing for the two biggest teams in the tournament. They will eat, drink, breathe IPL.