PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan achieve ODI status.. should we be scared?

Roni_uk
April 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
Source:
http://content.cricinfo.com/iccwcq2009/content/current/story/400117.html

Congratulations to Afganistan.
Good news on one hand since another competitor at our level. Bad news as they could be a potential threat to our number 9 position. They looked quite a strong performer in the ICC tournament.

Roni

Nadim
April 17, 2009, 10:39 AM
wrong section

Roni_uk
April 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
well i was trying to relate this achievement to Bangladesh cricket but whatever!!

mahbubH
April 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
congratulations.... great achievement compared to what we have done so far given the social conditions.

akabir77
April 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
all the teams in icc qualify tournament scored heavy which tells me balling was crap and the field was small.

nothing to be scared off... its not that we were never beaten by smaller teams...

Miraz
April 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
Scared of what? Playing in Kabul?

Congrats to Afghans.

al Furqaan
April 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
Source:
http://content.cricinfo.com/iccwcq2009/content/current/story/400117.html

Congratulations to Afganistan.
Good news on one hand since another competitor at our level. Bad news as they could be a potential threat to our number 9 position. They looked quite a strong performer in the ICC tournament.

Roni

at our level? please...

the afghans have won on talent alone, they still need to refine their skills. in 10 years they might be better than us, but right now we would smoke them like a gravity bong.

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2009, 03:19 PM
At least they are better than Bermuda.

Congrats the Afgans. I didn't think they could do it but they did it.

Zeeshan
April 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
if we let Afghanistan have the better of us....then the terrorists win.

I wouldn't go as far as saying pwning them like gravity bong but rather like the good ol' old fashioned ghetto style hand carved potato bong...

meh.

Ashfaq
April 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
I read about pre-Russian war Afghanistan in Saiyed Mujtaba Ali's book "Deshe Bideshe". It seemed like a lovely place. Although the dengarous mix of religion and violence has since changed the political demography radically. This ODI status may symbolize the rebirth of hope in a bleak society. May Allah guide them.

Akib
April 20, 2009, 11:21 AM
What are we scared of? They are a good team, but they were running on passion and heart, more so than out-skilling their opponents.

They played well yes, but I dunno how good those conditions were.

zainab
September 19, 2009, 07:34 AM
I was wondering, since Afganistan has been given ODI status, should'nt they compete in the Asia Cup? or the Asia Cup is strictly played by the 4 Asian Test playing teams, I remember the last time, UAE and Hong Kong played very well against the big teams. They should be given a chance.

chol_bd123
September 19, 2009, 02:58 PM

Congrats to Afghans.

lol

AsifTheManRahman
September 19, 2009, 04:48 PM
I was wondering, since Afganistan has been given ODI status, should'nt they compete in the Asia Cup? or the Asia Cup is strictly played by the 4 Asian Test playing teams, I remember the last time, UAE and Hong Kong played very well against the big teams. They should be given a chance.
They'll get their chance if they reach the finals of the ACC trophy.

chol_bd123
September 26, 2009, 10:17 AM

Congrats to Afghans.

loooool

aklemalp
September 26, 2009, 10:29 AM
congrats afghan

aklemalp
September 26, 2009, 10:29 AM
very nice

Baundule
October 1, 2009, 04:04 AM
The motto of progress should be own improvement, than getting scared of others and hindering other's progress. It will make things more competitive and we need to win the competition by taking ourselves to a better level.

Imteaz
October 1, 2009, 09:06 AM
Why? :)

deshifan
October 7, 2009, 05:22 PM
So, how many teams have one day status now ?

nzfan
October 19, 2009, 06:50 PM
So, how many teams have one day status now ?

Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
England
India
pakistan
bangladesh
west indies
sri lanka
zimbabwe
kenya
ireland
canada
afghanistan
holland
scotland

I'm pretty sure thats it

deshifan
October 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
What about UAE ?
I'm pretty sure thats it

nzfan
October 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
only the top 6 got one day status and I think that was canada, ireland,scotland,afghanistan,holland,kenya

with bermuda, uae, uganda, denmark, oman and namibia missing out on one day status this time around

not sure though

Ashraf-FTP
October 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
when i first saw the title of this thread i thought you were talking about that if we beat afghanistan they were gonna bomb us or smth, thats why we should be scared.. in that case, we seriously should be, i even recommend not playing them..

but for the reason you suggested, i dont think we should be even close to scared, zimbabwe is scarier then AFG's (in cricket).. we should really start thinking about how to go past WI not thinking if afganisthan can go past us..

congrats to the afg's

revolver
October 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
congratulation

FagunerAgun
October 21, 2009, 02:05 PM
Congratulations!

nycpro96
October 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
congrats to them

Rommel
October 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
lol we are congratulating them for something that was achieved back in April. Hop off!

bujhee kom
October 24, 2009, 06:04 PM
Congrats to Afghanistan!

Rifat
October 24, 2009, 06:23 PM
We Should not be afraid, nor do we need to dismiss them as 'weak'.

we should play our best game no matter who the opponent is, if we want to become #1 in world cricket that is...

IanW
October 26, 2009, 05:29 AM
Play em as often as possible.

Afghanistan is a country that has gone to hell and back, and then to hell again. If their cricket team winning will bring some joy to the hearts of a bunch of people who've gone through some pretty tough times, then, well, speaking for myself I can stand the odd Tigers loss.

But play em. Send the transport bill to the CIA if you have to, but bring em out for one, three and four day games.Play em at the National Stadium, and play em in Syhelet. Invite them over next time Scotland or Zimbabwe or England or whoever is in country. Play em, and give them the opportunity to find if they can play cricket.

Raynman
October 26, 2009, 11:17 AM
Looks like the congratulations is all they'll get.

Not a single match/visit offered yet by ANY test playing nation and not even an automatic qualification to the Asia Cup.

Good job by the ICC and the elitist boards on hindering the growth of cricket as much as possible.

nycpro96
October 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
We Should not be afraid, nor do we need to dismiss them as 'weak'.

we should play our best game no matter who the opponent is, if we want to become #1 in world cricket that is...

:up: That is definitely how we should always play.

Eshen
December 2, 2009, 04:53 AM
Now ACC is telling Asian associate teams that they are not welcome in Asia Cup or Asiad T20 event.

Kazim lashes out ACC Chief Executive Ashraful Haq (http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=2529)

al Furqaan
December 2, 2009, 04:56 AM
Play em as often as possible.

Afghanistan is a country that has gone to hell and back, and then to hell again. If their cricket team winning will bring some joy to the hearts of a bunch of people who've gone through some pretty tough times, then, well, speaking for myself I can stand the odd Tigers loss.

But play em. Send the transport bill to the CIA if you have to, but bring em out for one, three and four day games.Play em at the National Stadium, and play em in Syhelet. Invite them over next time Scotland or Zimbabwe or England or whoever is in country. Play em, and give them the opportunity to find if they can play cricket.

well stated...BCB should host the afghans for a 3-match ODI series and also a couple of 4-dayers against our A team or Academy team or even our U19 team once their WC campaign is over.

al Furqaan
December 2, 2009, 04:59 AM
Now ACC is telling Asian associate teams that they are not welcome in Asia Cup or Asiad T20 event.

Kazim lashes out ACC Chief Executive Ashraful Haq (http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=2529)

absolutely dispicable, and coming from a Bangladeshi is equally shocking.

afghanistan should play in 2012 asia cup as they are most likely to qualify.

cricman
July 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
Yes we Should, they have heart

bujhee kom
July 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, Rashid Latif has been given the job to coach them in batting.

al-Sagar
July 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Rashid Latif has been given the job to coach them in batting.

plus betting, cheating, beating o shikhaite parbe

auntu
July 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
absolutely dispicable, and coming from a Bangladeshi is equally shocking.

afghanistan should play in 2012 asia cup as they are most likely to qualify.
Sayed Ashraful is a fishy guy. He has his dark hand over Bangladesh cricket mo matter what Gov. is in power.

BANFAN
July 18, 2010, 05:06 AM
Sayed Ashraful is a fishy guy. He has his dark hand over Bangladesh cricket mo matter what Gov. is in power.

He has the largest contribution for our test status. He was the only Bangladeshi cricketer/cricket organizer to have some inetrnational connections, in those days. Bangladesh cricket has benefitted a lot through him and no need to talk against him, just because he is there for a long time. More over, his acceptance to all governments makes him more suitable for a higher position in BCB, because, it doesn't help to change all organizers with the change of government.

Off course, if you have any valid concern due to his presence, you might say. But not a sweeping remark, that why he is there during every government. What's your problem man, why should people be changed in BCB, because the government has changed? what's the relation? It still happens, I even oppose that much of linkage with government. There should be no effect on BCB for change of government..

hmmm
August 10, 2010, 03:45 PM
Congrats to Afghanistan. Afghanistan > Bangladesh.

cricman
August 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
Had Afgans batted 1st they would have scored 400 on Scotland

Whens the last time, we saw an Aggressive cricket in an ODI from some one other than Tamim?

max410
September 22, 2010, 05:36 AM
Hmm agfans are a good team i think within 4-5 years time afgans will play test cricket.
They have improved very quickly no one has improved so quickly as they did , but most afgans player play in pakistan national league so thats an advantage for them

hoax
October 26, 2010, 01:11 AM
Hmm agfans are a good team i think within 4-5 years time afgans will play test cricket.
They have improved very quickly no one has improved so quickly as they did , but most afgans player play in pakistan national league so thats an advantage for them

and become another pak!!...who will wana go and play in afg??

Habib
October 27, 2010, 04:19 AM
and become another pak!!...who will wana go and play in afg??

Pakistan.

sbux123
February 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
Pakistan.

BD....