PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe to play in the Intercontinental Cup

AsifTheManRahman
May 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
Intercontinental Cup 2009-10
ICC introduces two-division Intercontinental Cup
Martin Williamson
May 19, 2009
The ICC has announced changes to the Intercontinental Cup which will see the introduction of two divisions featuring as many as 11 teams.
As revealed by Cricinfo earlier this month, Zimbabwe will also feature in the tournament, although this is still subject to ratification by Zimbabwe Cricket. Given that the country's participation in the tournament was one of the requirements in its attempts to return to the Test fold, it seems highly unlikely the board will reject the idea.
The decision, made by the ICC's development committee, means that Zimbabwe will join Ireland, Canada, Kenya, the Netherlands, Afghanistan and Scotland in a seven-team top division. The United Arab Emirates, Namibia, Bermuda and Uganda will play each other for the ICC Intercontinental Shield.
There will be a total of US$250,000 in prize money for the Associate teams with US$100,000 for the winners of the ICC Intercontinental Cup and US$40,000 for the runners-up. The winners of the ICC Intercontinental Shield will collect US$25,000 with the runners-up pocketing US$10,000 and matches in both divisions will have the prize of US$3,000 for an outright win.
More at http://content.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/404998.html

al Furqaan
May 19, 2009, 07:08 PM
hmm...perhaps BD should send an unofficial team named as Bangladesh A?

cricman
May 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
good for them they need to win every match by a good margin to prove that they are ready for Test Return.

FC records will be challenged

Ajfar
May 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
hmm...perhaps BD should send an unofficial team named as Bangladesh A?

i think ranji trophy would better suit our A team..

Zeeshan
May 20, 2009, 12:23 AM
i think ranji trophy would better suit our A team..

the A-team.....?

rubel_18
May 20, 2009, 06:28 AM
the A-team.....?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyz_2DEah4o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyz_2DEah4o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rabz
May 20, 2009, 06:48 AM
I like Asaad's idea. But not probably "A" team.
We can send a "Development Squad" to the Intercontinental Cup.

But dont think its happening. Not sure if BCB is interested or aware of it anyways.

mahbubH
May 20, 2009, 07:33 AM
At last ICC are able to send back Zimbo to play with the real associates... we should be careful with our performance!

Ajfar
May 20, 2009, 10:15 AM
the A-team.....?

bhaijaan..mod ra ki apke ke spell check ar grammar check korar kaje niyog korechen

cricman
May 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
I like Asaad's idea. But not probably "A" team.
We can send a "Development Squad" to the Intercontinental Cup.

But dont think its happening. Not sure if BCB is interested or aware of it anyways.

I would send the full team, win every single match by an Innings and than prove to the ICC that they can't send us down.

Very Simple for Zimbabwe, win and they will be back up. FC records will be shattered

Rabz
May 20, 2009, 12:48 PM
I would send the full team, win every single match by an Innings and than prove to the ICC that they can't send us down.

Cricman, we should not try to prove we dont belong there. It should be applied.
What we rather do is to prove that we belong here, where we are now, in the test arena.

A full strength test team playing with a bunch of semi professional associates proves nothing.

Mridul
May 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
I think ICC should also allow <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> team to play there. <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region> will have more competitive playing the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Zimbabwe</st1:place></st1:country-region> and top associates rather than playing and getting trashed by the top 8 test teams. Also it will give our national players a boost if we can beat the associates’ teams in longer version.

al Furqaan
May 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
I think ICC should also allow <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> team to play there. <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region> will have more competitive playing the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Zimbabwe</st1:place></st1:country-region> and top associates rather than playing and getting trashed by the top 8 test teams. Also it will give our national players a boost if we can beat the associates’ teams in longer version.

last 10 tests, we've played fairly well. competitive in matches against NZ, SA, and gave a slight scare to SL. our recent test performances haven't been as bad as our usual performances. and if the windies continue in their current vein. more (relative) success are coming. we need to make sure we play one series per year against WI, and NZ. i think our A team should play in ICC intercontinental cup. but the national team should focus more on playing WI, NZ, and maybe PAK/ENG twice for every test against India, AUS, SA.

we need to play the top 8 sides who are closer to us more than we need to play zimbabwe or even ireland. in certain conditions, ZIM/IRE may be as good as us and even win matches, but if our spinners get any assitance, we won't be learning much. asides from playing some close games and getting that winning feeling. but that should come from all the ODIs we've won against the G8.

Mridul
May 21, 2009, 01:20 AM
last 10 tests, we've played fairly well. competitive in matches against NZ, SA, and gave a slight scare to SL. our recent test performances haven't been as bad as our usual performances. and if the windies continue in their current vein. more (relative) success are coming. we need to make sure we play one series per year against WI, and NZ. i think our A team should play in ICC intercontinental cup. but the national team should focus more on playing WI, NZ, and maybe PAK/ENG twice for every test against India, AUS, SA.

we need to play the top 8 sides who are closer to us more than we need to play zimbabwe or even ireland. in certain conditions, ZIM/IRE may be as good as us and even win matches, but if our spinners get any assitance, we won't be learning much. asides from playing some close games and getting that winning feeling. but that should come from all the ODIs we've won against the G8.

Just checked the last one year stats....i dont see any consistancy in our performance...we are still loosing by innings....still getting booked under 200 runs at home...in some cases under 150 runs...what it tells me that we have not mastered the longer version cricket yet

i dont mind loosing but seeing them getting booked under 200 runs in most of the innings is terrible....Ireland and Zimbabwe can give us a scare even at our home soil...

we are learning very slowly...we should either play against top A teams or the top associates if we want to be competative in the future

al Furqaan
May 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
Just checked the last one year stats....i dont see any consistancy in our performance...we are still loosing by innings....still getting booked under 200 runs at home...in some cases under 150 runs...what it tells me that we have not mastered the longer version cricket yet

i dont mind loosing but seeing them getting booked under 200 runs in most of the innings is terrible....Ireland and Zimbabwe can give us a scare even at our home soil...

we are learning very slowly...we should either play against top A teams or the top associates if we want to be competative in the future

i disagree, Mridu bhai. check this thread out on our bowling and fielding improvements over the last 10 test matches: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=29391&highlight=improvement

basically, our overall innigns defeat frequency is 0.58....but in the last 10 tests, its 0.40. still too high, but an improvement of about 33%.

the runs we're conceding per wicket is down to 37.45 from our overall figure of 53.32...our batting remains just as bad, and even worse from the whatmore era, but we're still developing our batsmen. i don't think any other team in test history has gone in with all 7 top order batsman under 25 years of age. experience is sorely lacking. bashar propped us up for a long while, and he's been gone for most if not all of those last 10 tests.

ideally, we should be playing tests against all 8 top sides, with more matches against the weaker sides of NZ, WI, and Pakistan, and England. at the same time we should play 4 day matches against zimbabwe and ireland, who would NOT pose much of a threat on our home soil except for the odd 3rd or 4th game.

we could also play away 4 day matches against top associates and that might prove to be more challenging as well. technically, we should be playing in the Ranji or Duleep trophy with our A team.

but none of those things will happen. as a result we should focus on playing as many tests against the lower ranked G8 sides as we can.

Mridul
May 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
i disagree, Mridu bhai. check this thread out on our bowling and fielding improvements over the last 10 test matches: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=29391&highlight=improvement

basically, our overall innigns defeat frequency is 0.58....but in the last 10 tests, its 0.40. still too high, but an improvement of about 33%.

the runs we're conceding per wicket is down to 37.45 from our overall figure of 53.32...our batting remains just as bad, and even worse from the whatmore era, but we're still developing our batsmen. i don't think any other team in test history has gone in with all 7 top order batsman under 25 years of age. experience is sorely lacking. bashar propped us up for a long while, and he's been gone for most if not all of those last 10 tests.

ideally, we should be playing tests against all 8 top sides, with more matches against the weaker sides of NZ, WI, and Pakistan, and England. at the same time we should play 4 day matches against zimbabwe and ireland, who would NOT pose much of a threat on our home soil except for the odd 3rd or 4th game.

we could also play away 4 day matches against top associates and that might prove to be more challenging as well. technically, we should be playing in the Ranji or Duleep trophy with our A team.

but none of those things will happen. as a result we should focus on playing as many tests against the lower ranked G8 sides as we can.

You have compared the last 10 test matches against our overall test record...what about the 2nd last 10 matches? we have done better before comparing the last 10 test matches.

if we have 7 top batsmen under the age of 25...its our fault...we are giving chances to the best players available who happens to be under the age of 25...there is some serious problem in our development system...ok tell me one thing which youngster have performed consistantly so far? look at Paul Hughes this guy is run machine at the age of 19....we dont even have one batsmen who even score half of the runs as he is scoring in this age

bottom ranked G8 TEAM? if you just check their last one year stats they have not done too bad...performance and qualitywise they are far ahead than us....i would say we are more closer to Zimbabwe and ireland... the fact is Zimbabwe and Ireland can give us serious scare anywehre in the world.....remember we lost two matches against Zimbabwe recently at our home soil...and with our current team who are never consistant and cant even score in 40 average in domestic cricket.....it wont be surprising even if we loose by innings against ireland/zimbabwe...

i may sound harsh....but the reality is our cricket quality is poor....based on what i understand of our cricket and its players.....my prediction for the upcoming T20...we may beat Netherland and Scotland in the warm up matches.....and will loose rest of the matches.....thus will be out of the tournament in the first round

al Furqaan
May 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
You have compared the last 10 test matches against our overall test record...what about the 2nd last 10 matches? we have done better before comparing the last 10 test matches.

if we have 7 top batsmen under the age of 25...its our fault...we are giving chances to the best players available who happens to be under the age of 25...there is some serious problem in our development system...ok tell me one thing which youngster have performed consistantly so far? look at Paul Hughes this guy is run machine at the age of 19....we dont even have one batsmen who even score half of the runs as he is scoring in this age

bottom ranked G8 TEAM? if you just check their last one year stats they have not done too bad...performance and qualitywise they are far ahead than us....i would say we are more closer to Zimbabwe and ireland... the fact is Zimbabwe and Ireland can give us serious scare anywehre in the world.....remember we lost two matches against Zimbabwe recently at our home soil...and with our current team who are never consistant and cant even score in 40 average in domestic cricket.....it wont be surprising even if we loose by innings against ireland/zimbabwe...

i may sound harsh....but the reality is our cricket quality is poor....based on what i understand of our cricket and its players.....my prediction for the upcoming T20...we may beat Netherland and Scotland in the warm up matches.....and will loose rest of the matches.....thus will be out of the tournament in the first round

i won't disagree with your entire post.

yes, our 2nd last 10 test matches record is pretty bad, even by our own low standards. however, the point is that in the last year our last 10 games have seen a fair amount of improvements. its unrealistic to take the team we had from 2000-2007 and expect a radical improvement in 2008-09.

our cricket quality is definitely poor, and honestly, i don't know of any solutions. it may be that there is no solution asides from time. time will probably cure all, but it would take decades, given our current progress.

in the meantime, playing only zimbabwe and ireland is not a solution. for example, you are saying even ireland will hand us an innings defeat...so what should we do from that point? start playing against uganda and bermuda? what if they start beating us? shall we join geurnsey and bahrain in the WCL division 7?

also take into account the formats of cricket and other intangibles. as an example, take namibia. in first class cricket, namibia can hold their own against ireland and maybe even zimbabwe. but as the recent WC qualifying tournament showed, they're a pretty crappy 50 overs side. they finished 8th place and didn't even get an ODI spot. Afghanistan finished above them.

Bangladesh, is similarily a (relatively to our ODI abilities) crappy Test and T20 side. Previously we thought that T20 would suit our ADHD brand of batting, but it became evident that our batting weakness is two-fold: we can neither bat in first gear (i.e drawing a test match in 5 days) or bat in 5th gear (consistently score 150+ in T20s). We have however, learned to better play within our limitations in the ODI form, where just in the last 10 or so matches, we could have had 4-5 victories against top 8 sides, and actually walked away with 2, which is not terribly bad (again by our standards).

you're right, we could very well lose to ireland and take the first train back to dhaka. but we must also remember that a solitary win in a 40 over game, doesn't necessarily mean that the irish are better than us. last time we played, we demolished them comprehensively over 300 overs of cricket (3-0 ODI win).

a top 8 side, would win 9 out of 10 ODIs against a full strength ireland in belfast. obviously we're not that good, we'd lose anywhere from 3-7 matches in the same conditions. but one of the things i've noticed, is that most of the time, when crunch time comes, the team does find a way to get rid of minnows. it might not be pretty, but they suck it up. they usually get beaten early on (WC ireland game, first 2 zim ODIs), but once they realize their ijjot is on really on the line, they tie their lungis a little bit tighter and get to work.

bottom line is, i agree, our quality is closer to zim/ireland than it is to NZ/Windies, and i also agree that we should play 4 day matches against zim/ireland for our own benefit and theirs.

but i disagree that we should demote ourselves willingly under the illusion that will fix our problems. time is the only thing that can fix it. it just might take 20-30 years, and maybe even longer.