PDA

View Full Version : Symonds sent home for alcohol incident (AGAIN !)

Neel Here
June 4, 2009, 06:39 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/wt202009/content/current/story/407391.html

ICC World Twenty20

Symonds sent home for alcohol incident

Alex Brown

June 4, 2009
Text size: A | A
Ricky Ponting and Andrew Symonds take questions during a press conference, Adelaide, November 26, 2008
Ricky Ponting is set to be without Andrew Symonds for the ICC World Twenty20 which starts on Friday © Getty Images
Related Links
Player/Officials: Andrew Symonds
Series/Tournaments: ICC World Twenty20
Teams: Australia

Andrew Symonds has been sent home from the ICC World Twenty20 for an "alcohol-related incident", throwing Australia's plans for the tournament into disarray. Ricky Ponting, the captain, and Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland are due to make an announcement in the next hour in regard to the controversial allrounder.

Symonds was a notable absentee at Australia's training session at The Oval on Thursday, prompting speculation that he could be heading home. He has been involved in numerous off-field incidents in recent seasons, most notably the Darwin fishing saga in August 2008, during which he missed a team meeting ahead of the one-day series against Bangladesh, which prompted the team management to send him home from the series.

In addition, he was fined Aus$4000 for a drunken radio interview in January 2009 in which he referred to the New Zealand wicketkeeper Brendan McCullum as "a piece of s..." Symonds apologised, having admitted that alcohol was playing a big part in his life, and he subsequently stated that he was "entering the final chapter of his career".

Cricket Australia issued separate press releases stating that Ponting and Sutherland would address simultaneous media conferences in London and Melbourne "to discuss a player-related issue".

Symonds attended a PCA dinner with the Twenty20 squad at a Kensington hotel on Wednesday night.

oh dear !!

-----------------------
point to be noted is how seriously the aussies take discipline.

irteja
June 4, 2009, 06:40 AM
Symonds sent home for alcohol incident

Andrew Symonds has been sent home from the ICC World Twenty20 for an "alcohol-related incident", throwing Australia's plans for the tournament into disarray. According to Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland, Symonds broke team rules related to alcohol and other issues, while the captain, Ricky Ponting, is due to address the media in London at 1pm.
Symonds attended a PCA dinner with the Twenty20 squad at a Kensington hotel on Wednesday night, but was a notable absentee at Australia's training session at The Oval on Thursday, prompting speculation that he could be on his way home. Following a series of misdemeanours in the past 12 months, Symonds was on a final warning from Cricket Australia, and there is the strong possibility that this latest incident will lead to the withdrawal of his central contract.

Symonds has been involved in numerous off-field incidents in recent seasons, most notably the Darwin fishing saga in August 2008, during which he missed a team meeting ahead of the one-day series against Bangladesh, which prompted the team management to send him home from the series.

In addition, he was fined Aus$4000 for a drunken radio interview in January 2009 in which he referred to the New Zealand wicketkeeper Brendan McCullum as "a piece of s..." Symonds apologised, having admitted that alcohol was playing a big part in his life, and he subsequently stated that he was "entering the final chapter of his career".

Cricket Australia issued separate press releases stating that Ponting and Sutherland would address media conferences in London and Melbourne "to discuss a player-related issue".

More to follow ...

<!-- body area ends here -->From Cricinfo

Jesus87
June 4, 2009, 06:53 AM
Blame Harbajhan, he has devastated Symonds life. The corrupt Indian cricket board backed the racist, it's just pathetic. Symonds was a good player, it's sad that we won't ever see him in the baggy green.

Sohel
June 4, 2009, 07:02 AM
CA better introduce him to AA. While we're at it, has the PCB introduced the Ramkhyat Express to something called a condom yet?

Neel Here
June 4, 2009, 07:08 AM
Blame Harbajhan, he has devastated Symonds life. The corrupt Indian cricket board backed the racist, it's just pathetic. Symonds was a good player, it's sad that we won't ever see him in the baggy green.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rifat
June 4, 2009, 07:35 AM
this is the end result for arrogance, well deserved!

he went fishing as a way to insult Bangladesh cricket team(this is how i interpreted his action!) when we visited them to play in August/September! it is his way of letting us know that Playing Bangladesh is not worth his precious time!

i personally abhor his type of character!

Abid_Khan
June 4, 2009, 07:42 AM
But he's a great player, but a fool

Gowza
June 4, 2009, 07:43 AM
quite embarrassing, and he's one player who can't be replaced in the t20 format as he's possibly the best t20 player in the world, that's if they even allow a replacement to be sent over. it's his own fault though, he's had enough chances.

Neel Here
June 4, 2009, 08:12 AM
quite embarrassing, and he's one player who can't be replaced in the t20 format as he's possibly the best t20 player in the world, that's if they even allow a replacement to be sent over. it's his own fault though, he's had enough chances.

oto kisu noye. bowling to khubi ordinary.

Sovik
June 4, 2009, 09:54 AM
he's a fool. enjoyed his batting and fielding for last couple of years. not being in ashes squad probably played a part in this incident

Beamer
June 4, 2009, 10:14 AM
I feel bad for him. He is an alcoholic. No doubt about that.

ialbd
June 4, 2009, 10:27 AM
was just reading that on CI.....

manush hoilona bandor ta.....

Zeeshan
June 4, 2009, 10:38 AM
Love it! Bad boy of cricket....also of course, dumb move by those aussie doucehbags.

Neel Here
June 4, 2009, 10:56 AM
was just reading that on CI.....

manush hoilona bandor ta.....

RACIST !!! (just joking !)

Love it! Bad boy of cricket....also of course, dumb move by those aussie doucehbags.
how about a beer loving cricket XI ??

2 certainties are jesse ryder and symonds. who else ? punter ?

Beamer
June 4, 2009, 11:32 AM
David Boon, Andrew Symonds, Jesse Ryder, Shane Warne, Merv Huges, Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff to name a few..

Nadim
June 4, 2009, 11:37 AM
He is always drunk..don't u guy's see his face during the match....it's look he hasn't slep for 3 months.

zainab
June 4, 2009, 03:59 PM
Dont judge him too harshly. there are 2 sides of a coin.

al Furqaan
June 4, 2009, 05:01 PM
aussies are out of contention...

Gowza
June 4, 2009, 05:13 PM

still have a chance, but symonds would have been a big part of their batting and fielding plans/hopes.

Purbasha T
June 4, 2009, 05:14 PM
Now I don't mind facing Aussies in semis or final :)

JonBain
June 4, 2009, 06:18 PM

shot themselves in the foot
perhaps
bowl bouncers at themselves

symmonds should have moved to the west indies years ago
he is far too much of a natural free spirited player
to be playing for the gulag

hope to see him wearing maroon in a few years time
the color maroon suits him more
:ticking:

Murad
June 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
He was having a drink or two with his other teammates during a visit to rugby game. his team-mates not getting any punishment but him.

Nocturnal
June 4, 2009, 08:46 PM
now poeple need to replace Symo in their Fantasy... hurry up!! :-D

Gowza
June 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
He was having a drink or two with his other teammates during a visit to rugby game. his team-mates not getting any punishment but him.

is this really the case? anyway from what i've heard he had a special agreement with CA due to his recent antics which i'd assume are more strict than the others in the team.

Murad
June 4, 2009, 09:32 PM
is this really the case? anyway from what i've heard he had a special agreement with CA due to his recent antics which i'd assume are more strict than the others in the team.

I think so. That's what I read in the first article Cricinfo published about him. Don't know if they changed it though.

And yes, he has special agreement with the board. Plus Captain and coach themselves requested the board to withdraw him from the squad.

Ajfar
June 4, 2009, 09:36 PM
haire taal..panir moto gile.. obhash bodlailo nah

One World
June 4, 2009, 10:05 PM
now poeple need to replace Symo in their Fantasy... hurry up!! :-D

Good advice.

Imteaz
June 5, 2009, 12:28 AM
Bad Luck Symonds. He was supposed to learn from his present captain Ricky Ponting, how to be disciplined. No Mercy for Him.

Gowza
June 5, 2009, 03:44 AM
cameron white is being sent over to replace him, but is it fair for us to have a replacement for symonds? he wasn't injured or asked to be taken out of the tournament, CA did it of their own accord.

Rifat
June 5, 2009, 03:50 AM
cameron white is being sent over to replace him, but is it fair for us to have a replacement for symonds? he wasn't injured or asked to be taken out of the tournament, CA did it of their own accord.

cameron white? good decision,a like for like replacement, has a lot of potential, a decent allrounder

Gowza
June 5, 2009, 04:00 AM
cameron white? good decision,a like for like replacement, has a lot of potential, a decent allrounder

you rate cameron higher than i do obviously, imo cameron white shouldn't be anywhere near the aussie national team as an allrounder, and he's not good enough to get in as a pure batsman.

Neel Here
June 5, 2009, 05:34 AM
shot themselves in the foot
perhaps
bowl bouncers at themselves

symmonds should have moved to the west indies years ago
he is far too much of a natural free spirited player
to be playing for the gulag

hope to see him wearing maroon in a few years time
the color maroon suits him more
:ticking:

makes sense !

Rabz
June 5, 2009, 01:18 PM
I think Ponting summed it up on his interview which i saw on BBC today. Australia is trying to rebuild their team with a lot of young members in their team. If a senior player like Symonds continues to show the team rules and code of conduct a middle finger, it sets a dangerous example to the new ones who would get into the mindset that its allright to be indisciplined and disrespectful to team rules.

A repeated offender, i think its the right decision by the board.

simon
June 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
Actually he got beaten by Sakib in his 1st over.
Which is why he drank a bit too much to forget that painful memory.:lol:

Sovik
June 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
From cricinfo

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/104500/104569.jpg

Dhruvo
June 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
From cricinfo

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/104500/104569.jpg
It'd be hilarious if he went to the srilanka-australia match drinking beer and watching them play lol.

Sovik
June 11, 2009, 07:14 PM
It'd be hilarious if he went to the srilanka-australia match drinking beer and watching them play lol.

can you imagine what would have happened if he did

Gowza
June 12, 2009, 05:05 AM
well he lost his contract and tait got it, now tait doesn't have to go to england.

One World
June 12, 2009, 05:35 AM
Add Khaled Mashud Pilot into the league of bad boys.

Sohel
June 12, 2009, 05:37 AM
I hope he goes to AA. The cricket world isn't ready to lose him yet.

Sovik
June 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
I hope he goes to AA. The cricket world isn't ready to lose him yet.

deccan charger isn't too disappointed since he will be available for the whole tournament next year and i think they should take some steps as well