PDA

View Full Version : Weather effect in a cricket match

MohammedC
June 5, 2009, 05:44 AM
When is it more difficult to bat on a cloudy day?

a) Batting first under cloud
b) Batting under lights
c) both as bad as each other
d) I don't care, I just want to watch cricket

Team always want to field first when the weather is poor. In a floodlit match a team would like to bat first. But what should a team choose to do if you are playing flood lit match under very dark cloud. Bit confusing for me therefore open this thread to see what you guys think.

MohammedC
June 5, 2009, 05:51 AM
I would always field first. Like to know my target

Neel Here
June 5, 2009, 05:51 AM
Team always want to field first when the weather is poor.
not necessary in a T20, the ground conditions stay roughly same throughout a match for the duration of a T20.

it all boils down to whether you want to set a target or chase.

if there are chances of rain later teams should bat first. that way they can avoid the DL method in their chase and also the opponent batsmen will lose their rhythm.

Sovik
June 5, 2009, 07:39 AM
you could get used to batting under lights but when you have cloud especially in england it could become lot more difficult but its 20-20 and our players are trigger happy so they won't matter

Imteaz
June 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
Actually only cloud cannot make effect to a cricket match. There are some other factors. Pitch Condition, Possible Overcast, Possible Outfield Condition etc also play major role.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=1. Batting under cloud<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If there was rain last night and pitch contains grass on it, it will be a tough exam for batters.<o:p></o:p>
But If there were no rain for last 2-3 weeks and the pitch is a complete dry one and the soil is hard enough for ball to come to the bat, it will be a heaven for batters.<o:p></o:p>
2. Batting under flood light<o:p></o:p>
If the weather is normal (not very cold/not very hot) and the outfield is covered with dew than it is almost impossible for bowler to get swing or spin with wet ball. For this negative condition of the bowler, batters will be benefited and they can score easily (considering the pitch is a flat batting one)<o:p></o:p>
If the pitch contain grasses and the weather is little cold than bowlers will be benefited and batters may pass a hell.

So, to ensure the decission, a team (specially captain and sometimes captain+coach, if the team has a young captain like Bangladesh) always consider multiple factors.

One World
June 5, 2009, 07:52 PM
Now the English supporters have jumped in - eita silo na, oita thik nai, voi nai, voi nai. LOL.