PDA

View Full Version : Gayle Questions Schedule

One World
June 14, 2009, 01:57 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/wt202009/content/current/story/408850.html

West Indies struggled to match the intensity of their performance against India, slipping to a 20-run defeat at The Oval, which leaves them facing a vital encounter against England, and Gayle couldn't understand why today's games weren't scheduled the opposite way round. Even if West Indies hadn't qualified, this would have been a situation facing Australia and it seems an unnecessary demand on the players in a high-intensity game, although all teams had the chance to discuss the schedule well before the tournament started.
"It might not look like it affects you, but it's a mental thing as well," Gayle said. "We played a day/night game then came here to play a day game. Less than 24 hours later and you are back on the field again. It would have been nice if it was another five o'clock game to give us a bit more of a break. We didn't get much time to plan for South Africa, but we are cricketers and this is what we are here to do.
"Twenty20 may look simple but it takes a lot out of you mentally and can be draining but the itinerary was like this and we came to play a good game of cricket today. It's disappointing to lose, but I have to commend the guys for the efforts that they put in after the victory against India yesterday and then coming here."

Could not agree more.

Jesus87
June 14, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yes It was a bit unfair for the Windies. I hope they bounce back against England, hoping for England to thrash India today.

Zeeshan
June 14, 2009, 02:13 AM
As much as I admire the balls of Gayle -wait that came out wayy wrong- I must say as players they are like mercenaries and should accept whatever is thrown at them. I didnt watch end of today's game, but the loss shouldnt be any excuse (and I love Gayle!).

Sohel
June 14, 2009, 04:59 AM
Gayle is smoking the right stuff. Wish I had some myself. The delayed reaction is expected ... :lol:

BANFAN
June 14, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hope he unleashes his anger on England :)

AsifTheManRahman
June 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
He's right. Cricket world cups are either too long or too short. The ICC just can't seem to get it right.

Sovik
June 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
well they got some rest now. i am expecting them to win tomorrow

One World
June 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
well they got some rest now. i am expecting them to win tomorrow

And they did, rain saved the blushes from the minnow losers to NeitherLand :lol: