View Full Version : Gayle Questions Schedule

One World
June 14, 2009, 01:57 AM

West Indies struggled to match the intensity of their performance against India, slipping to a 20-run defeat at The Oval, which leaves them facing a vital encounter against England, and Gayle couldn't understand why today's games weren't scheduled the opposite way round. Even if West Indies hadn't qualified, this would have been a situation facing Australia and it seems an unnecessary demand on the players in a high-intensity game, although all teams had the chance to discuss the schedule well before the tournament started.
"It might not look like it affects you, but it's a mental thing as well," Gayle said. "We played a day/night game then came here to play a day game. Less than 24 hours later and you are back on the field again. It would have been nice if it was another five o'clock game to give us a bit more of a break. We didn't get much time to plan for South Africa, but we are cricketers and this is what we are here to do.
"Twenty20 may look simple but it takes a lot out of you mentally and can be draining but the itinerary was like this and we came to play a good game of cricket today. It's disappointing to lose, but I have to commend the guys for the efforts that they put in after the victory against India yesterday and then coming here."

Could not agree more.

June 14, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yes It was a bit unfair for the Windies. I hope they bounce back against England, hoping for England to thrash India today.

June 14, 2009, 02:13 AM
As much as I admire the balls of Gayle -wait that came out wayy wrong- I must say as players they are like mercenaries and should accept whatever is thrown at them. I didnt watch end of today's game, but the loss shouldnt be any excuse (and I love Gayle!).

June 14, 2009, 04:59 AM
Gayle is smoking the right stuff. Wish I had some myself. The delayed reaction is expected ... :lol:

June 14, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hope he unleashes his anger on England :)

June 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
He's right. Cricket world cups are either too long or too short. The ICC just can't seem to get it right.

June 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
well they got some rest now. i am expecting them to win tomorrow

One World
June 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
well they got some rest now. i am expecting them to win tomorrow

And they did, rain saved the blushes from the minnow losers to NeitherLand :lol: