PDA

View Full Version : KKR sack Buchanan

Abid_Khan
June 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
"John Buchanan's stint as the Kolkata Knight Riders' coach has ended after the franchise released him from his contract. Buchanan has a short-term coaching assignment coming up with the England board, and he said he wanted to concentrate on his coaching and corporate consulting work..." Cricinfo

Full Story: Buchanan and Kolkata part ways (http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/409616.html)

This is good news for our most favourite IPL club and hopefully Mashrafe plays more games under a new coach and team management in 2010. Whatmore is a strong contender for the job.. making it even better for Bangladeshi players to play for KKR because we all know how good and sincere Whatmore was for Bangladesh.

What do you guys think?

Sohel
June 18, 2009, 05:10 AM
Can't say didn't see this coming. That said, the Bollywood @$$clown will fail again next season, no matter who he hires.

Equinox
June 18, 2009, 05:12 AM
Whatmore is a big fan of Shakib. I remember whilst leaving he told the media to "watch out for Shakib and Mehrab."

yaseer
June 18, 2009, 05:25 AM
Though too early to comment, I don't think KKR gonna take Mashrafee again. Mash had only 1 year contract with KKR, that means KKR has to bid for him again. If Mash has any chance to play IPL again, that has to come from Punjab through Yuvraj-Mash link. But chances are very slim here too.

Ashraful has 2 year contract with Mumbai Indians. So, he will be there in the next years IPL at least to warm the benches if not play more than this year.

patriot
June 18, 2009, 05:42 AM
Umar Gull will be available for KKR next season . So Mashrafee can kiss goodbye to KKR and IPL .

Baundule
June 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
There is no confirmation yet about the fate of Buchanan's support staff, which included

Matthew Mott (assistant head coach),
Andy Bichel (bowling coach),
Wade Seccombe (wicket-keeping coach),
John Deeble (fielding coach),
Brad Murphy (assistant coach),
Michael Buchanan (strength trainer), who is Buchanan's son,
Andrew Leipus (physio) and
Adrian Le Roux (trainer).

:floor::floor:

zainab
June 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
Did they pay Mash all that money for only one season? Amazing!

Well, Ash will have another 5 weeks stint there in March/April, if it is a 2 yr contract and he might play a couple of games, anything can happen in a year's time.

Tintin
June 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
There is no confirmation yet about the fate of Buchanan's support staff, which included

Buchanan couldn't find someone to coach tossing ?

Sohel
June 18, 2009, 08:08 AM

Something backfired. Safety-net maybe. I remember great Windies and Aussie teams without coaches. Captains like Lloyd and Ian Chappell were more than enough to get the job done. Nijer shathe shara gushtitao dobalo. Bravo Buxie! ... :applause:

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2009, 09:16 AM
I also want to find out did KKR pay Mash his dues? If my calculation is correct then it ends up with $488,571.43. 13 games 80%, 1 game full amount of $42,857.14. That is all matters to me.

Did he have one year contract of $600,000.00 or 2 year contract?

Baundule
June 18, 2009, 09:30 AM
Buchanan couldn't find someone to coach tossing ?
I think, he was preparing his bhatija for the tossing coach job for the next year. :D
He must be disappointed now. poor soul! :sick:

yaseer
June 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
I also want to find out did KKR pay Mash his dues? If my calculation is correct then it ends up with $488,571.43. 13 games 80%, 1 game full amount of $42,857.14. That is all matters to me.

Did he have one year contract of $600,000.00 or 2 year contract?

Mash had a one year contract.
ASH has two year contract and the only Bangladeshi who is definitely gonna be there in the next IPL.

BANFAN
June 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
Umar Gull will be available for KKR next season . So Mashrafee can kiss goodbye to KKR and IPL .

How? Next IPL will be in India.
--
At least SRK is more intelligent to understand the root cause faster than BCB.

Akib
June 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
They might resign mash to obviously a minimum value contract. IF i were mash, id still take it.

But yea if gul is available, any sane person would choose gul.

Rifat
June 18, 2009, 10:42 AM
now BCB will follow suit :)

bujhee kom
June 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ami khub khooshi holam!

One World
June 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
Bhukha Naan had to go, it was definitely on the card.

nycpro96
June 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
finally. he is gone.

WarWolf
June 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am afraid Lipu and co. will try to make the coach for Bangladesh.:timeout:

Sovik
June 26, 2009, 12:38 AM
they should try multiple coaches, head coaches

reinausagi
June 29, 2009, 09:01 AM
I guess the game has become a little more complex to a test team not to have a coach- a person dedicated to watching hours of film on the opposition, strategising and managing the support staff. Imagine heaping that responsibility to ASH or MASH, on top of what they have to do on and off the feild. As far as Buchanan is concerned, he appeared to have gone off the deep-end with his 'multiple-captain theory' caper. Was he just innovating for the sake of innovating- extending the legend of his maverick? I believe Shane Warne once commented, that as far he was concerned, a coach is something that takes you from the hotel to the cricket feild. Buchanan mania was obviously not universal in the baggy green community. Nothing like the best crop of cricketers in a multiple generations to peak at the same time to make their coach look brilliant.

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
I guess the game has become a little more complex to a test team not to have a coach- a person dedicated to watching hours of film on the opposition, strategising and managing the support staff. Imagine heaping that responsibility to ASH or MASH, on top of what they have to do on and off the feild. As far as Buchanan is concerned, he appeared to have gone off the deep-end with his 'multiple-captain theory' caper. Was he just innovating for the sake of innovating- extending the legend of his maverick? I believe Shane Warne once commented, that as far he was concerned, a coach is something that takes you from the hotel to the cricket feild. Buchanan mania was obviously not universal in the baggy green community. Nothing like the best crop of cricketers in a multiple generations to peak at the same time to make their coach look brilliant.
Three plus years not posting then ... welcome back.

Multiple-captain theory is something I like. Since I was a fan of Baseball once upon a time, watch American Football year in year out, and at times teach project and Strategic management; I think this can work in Cricket but needs a different mindset. Project leader is the coach. He has to assign out duties to his subordinates. The more he can divide the workload the better his subordinates can focus on their job.

In Cricket, while batting we don't need a captain. The coach can instruct who to bat in what situation. Captaincy is required in fielding and bowling.
Football:
If Secondary can adjust, blitz, in line with the linemen the opposition Quarter Back, Running Backs would have a tough time all day long. However, the whole unit must work together. And each team have a secondary captain, linemen captain etc. Similarly Basketball also has offensive and defensive captains.

Now in cricket, same thing can be devised if rolls can be established, practiced and implemented. Bowlers must bowl according to the field and situations. One can devise signs like Baseball so that the fielders know exactly what to expect. And this can be done faster so that unlike Ricky Pontings team we are not penalized for over-rate.

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
For the record: I didn't/don't like Buchanan.

More fuel for disliking: http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/410893.html

Sohel
July 3, 2009, 09:11 AM
Reductionist comparison of apples and oranges with little to no practical value.

Multiple captaincy with alternate captains makes sense when it comes to sports with separate units and unlimited substitution of individual or combination of players. American football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse for example.

In cricket, that theory makes no sense at all. We have 11 players pretty much continuously on the field, barring temporary and occasional fielding substitutions, and 2 batsmen in the middle. The captain can always confer with other players in his team, as he often does, in order to consolidate and alter strategy and tactics according to match situation. Batsmen can also confer in the middle and receive dressing room instructions through the 12th man. Under those circumstances, single captaincy is far more conducive to unit cohesion.

Baseball type signaling also doesn't apply to cricket. No need for signals when you can directly talk and whisper to the bowler. But the keeper can develop an "on the fly" cryptic system with the bowler in theory, and hope that the bowler can deliver. Tough when you have a run up and trying to focus. An internal debate is the last thing you need then.

Baseball pitchers can signal a rejection of the signal because they're stationary on the mound as the catcher is behind home plate. How can a cricket bowler do that during his run up? How can a keeper adjust his distance and angles from the time it takes to signal, get the bowler's response while he's running, and make his own physical and mental adjustments after that?

Abirz
July 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
Though too early to comment, I don't think KKR gonna take Mashrafee again. Mash had only 1 year contract with KKR, that means KKR has to bid for him again. If Mash has any chance to play IPL again, that has to come from Punjab through Yuvraj-Mash link. But chances are very slim here too.

Ashraful has 2 year contract with Mumbai Indians. So, he will be there in the next years IPL at least to warm the benches if not play more than this year.

The over that Mash bowled for KKR against Deccan Chargers...Mash will be lucky if he gets an indian visa to see next years IPL.

OZGOD
July 14, 2009, 02:21 AM
"John Buchanan's stint as the Kolkata Knight Riders' coach has ended after the franchise released him from his contract. Buchanan has a short-term coaching assignment coming up with the England board, and he said he wanted to concentrate on his coaching and corporate consulting work..." Cricinfo

Full Story: Buchanan and Kolkata part ways (http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/409616.html)

This is good news for our most favourite IPL club and hopefully Mashrafe plays more games under a new coach and team management in 2010. Whatmore is a strong contender for the job.. making it even better for Bangladeshi players to play for KKR because we all know how good and sincere Whatmore was for Bangladesh.

What do you guys think?

Maybe it's because Buck's an idiot? He's living in pixieland!

Sohel
July 14, 2009, 06:08 AM
Buck = Idiot.

Jamie = Assistant Idiot ... ;)

OZGOD
July 14, 2009, 08:27 AM
Here's what Warney had to say about Buck a couple of years ago:

In a powerfully-worded outburst against his former coach, Warne said yesterday: "I disagree with John Buchanan all the time. I don't think he has made one good point in a long time.

"He is living in pixieland . . . (and) it just shows what we players had to put up with.

"We had to listen to his verbal diarrhoea all the time.

"He is just a goose and has no idea and lacks common sense."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22961501-5001023,00.html?from=public_rss

BanCricFan
July 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Good luck, England :)

Eshen
July 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ganguly captain, Wright coach of KKR in 2010

http://www.ptinews.com/news/193478_Ganguly-captain--Wright-coach-of-KKR-in-2010

Kolkata, Jul 25 (PTI) Sourav Ganguly is almost certain to be reinstated as the captain while John Wright is likely to take over as the coach of Kolkata Knight Riders in the third edition of the Indian Premier League in 2010, team sources said today.

Even as an official announcement is awaited, sources said that there could be a major reshuffle with former India coach Wright likely to replace John Buchanan as Knight Riders coach, while former Australian middle-order batsman Michael Bevan will be in the coaching panel.

Sources said Ganguly would be back at the helm in 2010 when his contract with the Kolkata team ends and the iconic Bengal cricketer had a one-on-one with prinicipal owner Shah Rukh Khan when the duo met in London to receive doctorates by the University of Central Lancashire last week.

Naimul_Hd
July 27, 2009, 03:17 AM
Ganguly captain, Wright coach of KKR in 2010

http://www.ptinews.com/news/193478_Ganguly-captain--Wright-coach-of-KKR-in-2010

Kolkata, Jul 25 (PTI) Sourav Ganguly is almost certain to be reinstated as the captain while John Wright is likely to take over as the coach of Kolkata Knight Riders in the third edition of the Indian Premier League in 2010, team sources said today.

Even as an official announcement is awaited, sources said that there could be a major reshuffle with former India coach Wright likely to replace John Buchanan as Knight Riders coach, while former Australian middle-order batsman Michael Bevan will be in the coaching panel.

Sources said Ganguly would be back at the helm in 2010 when his contract with the Kolkata team ends and the iconic Bengal cricketer had a one-on-one with prinicipal owner Shah Rukh Khan when the duo met in London to receive doctorates by the University of Central Lancashire last week.

so then....can we expect few more games for our MASHRAFI ! :)

AsifTheManRahman
July 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
So they finally come to their senses and hand the captaincy to the right person.

Now dada, ordhektuku six er purotukui kintu maarte hobe! Pitote na parle Ashraful er moto lanchona bonchona shoite hobe...

Sohel
July 28, 2009, 01:16 AM
Dada rocks! Easily the greatest Bengali to play the game for now, but give our Moyna his years and you shall see ... :)

Eshen
July 29, 2009, 01:04 AM
Shoaib tried to teach Kolkata bowlers ball-tampering: Buchanan

http://www.geo.tv/7-28-2009/46661.htm

SYDNEY: One more bad news for Shoaib Akhtar! Former coach of Kolkata Knight Riders John Buchanan of Australia has revealed in his new book that Pakistan’s fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar tried to teach fellow fast bowlers of Knight Riders a few 'tricks' during the IPL’s first season.

John Buchanan in his new book ‘The Future of Cricket’ wrote a whole chapter on Shoaib Akhtar, who played for Kolkata Knight Riders in Season One of the Indian Premier League.

The Australian coach said in his book that the Rawalpindi Express had tried to teach ball-tampering to his fellow fast bowlers.

He further said that Shoaib Akhtar told them various methods used by some of his fellow Pakistani fast bowlers.

Buchanan has also wrote in his book that former coach of India Greg Chappell had warned him that Shoaib would be his biggest problem.

John Buchanan further said in his book that Shoaib was trying to build a culture within the Knight Riders which he did not like as coach.

BANFAN
July 30, 2009, 05:34 AM
Here's what Warney had to say about Buck a couple of years ago:

In a powerfully-worded outburst against his former coach, Warne said yesterday: "I disagree with John Buchanan all the time. I don't think he has made one good point in a long time.

"He is living in pixieland . . . (and) it just shows what we players had to put up with.

"We had to listen to his verbal diarrhoea all the time.

"He is just a goose and has no idea and lacks common sense."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...rom=public_rss

That's why I like Warnie, harsh but the real picture. What can we expect from his assistant !!