PDA

View Full Version : Is the T20 WC becoming a farce?

Surfer
June 20, 2009, 05:30 AM
Not because India lost.:D

But really, a world cup every year? That's too much.

BD-Shardul
June 20, 2009, 05:54 AM
[বাংলা]No it is not becoming farce. Because this practice will give team like BD "একবার না পারিলে দেখ শতবার" chances :D [/বাংলা]

Shehwar
June 20, 2009, 05:58 AM

Its not gonna be every year...They will hold it every two years...They are hosting it next year to adjust the schedule so that they dont end up with two World Cups in one year (2007) anymore...So then the ODI World Cup can be in 2011 as scheduled and the T20 would be in 2012 and there on every two years....

Raynman
June 20, 2009, 06:23 AM
the T20 should be replacing the champions trophy which should be the last this year.

Surfer
June 20, 2009, 06:41 AM
Its not gonna be every year...They will hold it every two years...They are hosting it next year to adjust the schedule so that they dont end up with two World Cups in one year (2007) anymore...So then the ODI World Cup can be in 2011 as scheduled and the T20 would be in 2012 and there on every two years....

But it sucks that the team that wins it this year will hold the cup for a year only. That's gross injustice. If they had to adjust the schedule, they could have skipped a year.

Imteaz
June 20, 2009, 07:14 AM
I think, It is just a strategy for ICC to popularize T20 or The game Cricket. For shorter version of game some other countries are getting interested.

abz..+
June 20, 2009, 07:24 AM

it's not good for cricket

Raynman
June 20, 2009, 09:19 AM
Its just speeding up the inevitable. After the 2011 world cup things will change.

There is no room for growth in Test Cricket the way ICC is heading which means it will stay an exclusive club and hence exclude fans and money in a large way. T20 has the potential to catch on and if it can reach the imagination in US and China, the other two forms can start making its funeral arrangements.

With four or five T20 tournaments (ala IPL) throughout the year, both international schedules and domestic quality will suffer as the better players will be busy in those tournaments.

Thats why I belive massive reform in scheduling is needed and came up with this suggestion:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=29960

Tehsin
June 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
Wonder why BD players didn't bother to show up for the match against Ireland? :)
They probably broke the news to the Indians and we al know what happened with them. Both team decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

@010 will be a India vs Bangladesh final. :)

But it sucks that the team that wins it this year will hold the cup for a year only. That's gross injustice. If they had to adjust the schedule, they could have skipped a year.

AsifTheManRahman
June 20, 2009, 11:33 PM
A world cup every year is a world cup too many.

Tigers_eye
June 21, 2009, 12:11 AM
Not becoming. It is/was a farce to begin with. Not just because India won or something.

Russell2k7
June 21, 2009, 12:18 AM
T20 is good for money. I hate this silly game. With T20 you could play World Cups like every 6 months if you wish lol. But one thing good about T20 is that its more like Soccer where anybody can beat anyone.

WarWolf
June 21, 2009, 03:38 AM
Wonder why BD players didn't bother to show up for the match against Ireland? :)
They probably broke the news to the Indians and we al know what happened with them. Both team decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

A good one..:-p:-p:-p

Rifat
June 21, 2009, 04:38 AM
think of it like the baseball world series...or the NFL playoffs:they happen every year, right? and yet, i remember the amount of Attention the superbowl or the world series gets in the States every year. plenty of money+entertainment: everyone happy

Zeeshan
June 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
"Frankenstein's monster. Soon it'll be 10/10, 5/5, then one ball to hit a six or you're hanged. Include me out." -Michael Simkin, author of Fatty Batter: How Cricket Saved My Life, gives his view on the Twenty20 format in Quote Unquote in Cricinfo.

Shoikoth
June 21, 2009, 11:13 PM
in the year 2100, there will remain only 3 things - religion, space and yes, 20/20 version of cricket. It's not what we think...its what he who is yet to be born, thinks.

surf on dudes.