PDA

View Full Version : What have they (U.S.A.) done to deserve this?

Ajfar
June 24, 2009, 02:20 PM
The ICC's decision fast-track the USA into the World Twenty20 Qualifiers is a breach of its avowed principles

In recent years the ICC has established a clearly defined pyramid structure for world cricket, from the ICC Test Championship through to the lower reaches, the Associate and Affiliate game.

The theory that the humblest side could progress through to the ultimate goal of the World Cup was almost borne out by the progress of Afghanistan; a year ago they were languishing in the fifth division of the World Cricket League, but after a string of promotions, last month they came within one game of qualifying for the 2011 World Cup. As it is, they have become a fully fledged ODI country. It's been cricket's Cinderella story.

However, earlier this week, the ICC's development committee brushed aside the whole idea that the structure was a meritocracy and made what appears to be nothing more than a quite brazen commercial decision. The USA, who since their ignominious jolly at the 2004 Champions Trophy have achieved nothing of note, were shamelessly handed a place at the ICC World Twenty20 Qualifiers later this year, despite not even being in the top 20 Associates.

The Qualifiers should be a showdown between the leading six Associates/Affiliates for a place at the next ICC tournament in the Caribbean in 2010. The inclusion of UAE, ranked seventh, was justifiable, as they host the event. But the USA?

The ICC has denied the decision was based on anything other than cricketing reasons. The logic was that USA were a side down on their luck because their own board had been "dysfunctional" (to use a former ICC chief executive's own words) for four years, and so were in need of a helping hand. And with the main tournament taking place in the West Indies, there was a local reason for them to be included.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/405638.html

this is really not fair to the other associate teams..

Raynman
June 24, 2009, 02:43 PM
Don't be surprised if China and US are automatically qualified to the 2015 WC. :hairpull:

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2009, 02:47 PM
Why not have 16 USA teams from 50 states and call it World Championship? We already do that in Basketball, Football and Baseball.

bujhee kom
June 24, 2009, 03:08 PM
U.s.a. # 1

WarWolf
June 24, 2009, 03:39 PM
ICC: Idiots' Cricket Council.

Purbasha T
June 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
Open secret folks, open secret.

Abid_Khan
June 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
USA doesn't even like their cricket, why is ICC wanting to do all these things. Stupid ICC

Zeeshan
June 24, 2009, 06:26 PM
USA pwned Spain today.

Ajfar
June 24, 2009, 06:49 PM
its understandable that they want to get U.S.A. and China in the bigger stages as soon as possible..but its not fair to cheat the rest..

Rifat
June 24, 2009, 07:39 PM
USA playing?...i should get a call up :ticking: muahahahahahahahahahahahah >:)>:)

can't wait for the match Bangladesh vs. USA...i am gonna call my friends and start a revolution >:)

Rifat
June 24, 2009, 07:42 PM
do not underestimate us USA bradas...let's go ajfar, electrequiem, al-furqaan, sbsash, murad tigers_eye, a couple of jamaican hard hitters from florida and a couple of Pakistani immigrant fast bowling brothers..we are on our way to glory :USAflag:

Surfer
June 24, 2009, 10:39 PM
May be out of the way, but they have taken a much needed decision. USA's entry into cricket will be significant.

Zeeshan
June 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
do not underestimate us USA bradas...let's go ajfar, electrequiem, al-furqaan, sbsash, murad tigers_eye, a couple of jamaican hard hitters from florida and a couple of Pakistani immigrant fast bowling brothers..we are on our way to glory :USAflag:

how come you only all the muslims in your team? :smug:

Russell2k7
June 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
^Gopal, maybe he wants to vanquished the Muslims as "terrorist" tag lol.

Russell2k7
June 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
I saw like WI vs ENG stanford T20 on US ESPN. It was amazing.

Russell2k7
June 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
Why not have 16 USA teams from 50 states and call it World Championship? We already do that in Basketball, Football and Baseball.
You forgot Stanley Cup.

Rifat
June 24, 2009, 11:59 PM
how come you only all the muslims in your team? :smug:

Al-Mumenoon
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Successful indeed are the believers (1) Who are humble in their prayers, (2) And who shun vain conversation, (3) And who are payers of the poor-due; (4) And who guard their modesty - (5) Save from their wives or the (slaves) that their right hands possess, for then they are not blameworthy, (6) But whoso craveth beyond that, such are transgressors - (7) And who are keepers of their pledge and their covenant, (8) And who pay heed to their prayers. (9) These are the heirs (10) Who will inherit paradise. There they will abide. (11)

سُوۡرَةُ المؤمنون
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

قَدۡ أَفۡلَحَ ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنُونَ (١) ٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ فِى صَلَاتِہِمۡ خَـٰشِعُونَ (٢) وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ عَنِ ٱللَّغۡوِ مُعۡرِضُونَ (٣) وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ لِلزَّكَوٰةِ فَـٰعِلُونَ (٤) وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ لِفُرُوجِهِمۡ حَـٰفِظُونَ (٥) إِلَّا عَلَىٰٓ أَزۡوَٲجِهِمۡ أَوۡ مَا مَلَكَتۡ أَيۡمَـٰنُہُمۡ فَإِنَّہُمۡ غَيۡرُ مَلُومِينَ (٦) فَمَنِ ٱبۡتَغَىٰ وَرَآءَ ذَٲلِكَ فَأُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ ٱلۡعَادُونَ (٧) وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ لِأَمَـٰنَـٰتِهِمۡ وَعَهۡدِهِمۡ رَٲعُونَ (٨) وَٱلَّذِينَ هُمۡ عَلَىٰ صَلَوَٲتِہِمۡ يُحَافِظُونَ (٩) أُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ ٱلۡوَٲرِثُونَ (١٠) ٱلَّذِينَ يَرِثُونَ ٱلۡفِرۡدَوۡسَ هُمۡ فِيہَا خَـٰلِدُونَ (١١)

Imteaz
June 25, 2009, 12:06 AM
Only thing that they proved themselves as the most powerful nation of the world (Obviously with Arms & Ammunition).

BD-Shardul
June 25, 2009, 12:34 AM
What de did to achieve test status?

Russell2k7
June 25, 2009, 11:11 AM
Rifat why are you mixing religion with sport? Are you trying to say that you won't pick Alok even if he plays good? The success it's talking about is life after death--not winning a cricket game lol.

Tigers_eye
June 25, 2009, 11:24 AM
You forgot Stanley Cup.
Good one. When the Canadian teams win, we don't call them world champions. Only US teams. Doesn't matter if the starting five are all Russians. Sorry Sohel bhai. :)

brockley
June 25, 2009, 10:34 PM
From my knowledge of things usa is in the qualifiers for the 20/20 cup up to them to prove it but one dayers different matter,they will have to earn qualifiers the staged way from 5 division to 2nd.
Remember before usa banned they we're in division 1 on performance,that taken into account.
Altho wouldn't be surprised if they quick fired into the one day qualifiers next time.
Money talks.

Rifat
June 25, 2009, 11:47 PM
Rifat why are you mixing religion with sport? Are you trying to say that you won't pick Alok even if he plays good? The success it's talking about is life after death--not winning a cricket game lol.

you are absolutely spot on...however, it can be bi-referencial :)

everyone in BC knows how much i adore Kapali, it's just that after ICL i was a bit heartbroken...because his spot was cemented and he still left, an act of impatience.

zainab
June 26, 2009, 06:21 AM
I have gotten lost here. I thought that the Associates have to fight for 2 places in 2010 20/20 WC, as Zim will now play in the West Indies. how is the USA getting a chance?
IMO, Ireland and the Netherlands should be the 2 Associates to play. Mind, I am not to familiar with how the Associates qualify for this tournament.

akabir77
June 26, 2009, 07:07 AM
alright now USA can beat BD...

imtiaz82
June 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
Canada already beat Bangladesh in WC, now it's turn for USA... infact I think US can become a top side in 4-5 years if they really wannt to. Attract the best players through immigration.

Already in soccer they are beating Spain and half the people don't even follow it.

BANFAN
July 1, 2009, 07:06 AM
The ICC has denied the decision was based on anything other than cricketing reasons. The logic was that USA were a side down on their luck because their own board had been "dysfunctional" (to use a former ICC chief executive's own words) for four years, and so were in need of a helping hand. And with the main tournament taking place in the West Indies, there was a local reason for them to be included.

What was that local reason?? Was that a cricketing reason?