PDA

View Full Version : Ball kills cricket umpire in Wales

Rommel
July 5, 2009, 11:39 AM
SWANSEA, Wales -- A cricket umpire has died after being struck on the head by a ball.

Alcwyn Jenkins collapsed after the blow, which came from a ball thrown by a fielder during a Welsh cricket league match in Swansea on Saturday. He was 72.

"I'm led to believe it was one of the most freak accidents you could ever imagine on the cricket field," said Neil Hobbs, honorary chairman of the South Wales Cricket Association, according to the BBC News' Web site.

The game between Swansea and Llangennech in the South Wales Association's Division One was halted.

"I've umpired with Alcwyn -- great guy," Hobbs said. "He was well-respected throughout the league and everybody knew Alcwyn."

Jenkins, a 25-year veteran umpire according to Hobbs, was airlifted to a hospital but failed to recover, the BBC report said.

"Everybody probably in south Wales knows Alcwyn through cricket," Hobbs said. "It's a very very sad day and I feel sorry for his children."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4306916

Very sad news.

Nadim
July 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
Really sad news indeed:(

Surfer
July 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
I am afraid he should not have been on a cricket field at 72. That's too old for anyone to be on a field during play. Many times umpires have to take evasive action/reflex action when the ball comes his way fast. How many time have we seen the umpire jump out of the way of a straight shot?

I hope the fielder who threw the ball does not spend too many days wondering if he caused the death or if he could have avoided the death. It's not easy when you know that someone died because of your actions.....accidental of not.

RIP.

Purbasha T
July 5, 2009, 12:58 PM
Rip. :(

Purbasha T
July 5, 2009, 01:00 PM
I am afraid he should not have been on a cricket field at 72. That's too old for anyone to be on a field during play. Many times umpires have to take evasive action/reflex action when the ball comes his way fast. How many time have we seen the umpire jump out of the way of a straight shot?

I hope the fielder who threw the ball does not spend too many days wondering if he caused the death or if he could have avoided the death. It's not easy when you know that someone died because of your actions.....accidental of not.

RIP.

True said.

BANFAN
July 5, 2009, 02:03 PM
We might see Umpires using helmets in near future. That reminds me of Raman Lamba, He died fielding in a close in position without helmet.

But I agree with surfer; you can't expect perfect reflexes at the age of 72. It was more of a suicide.
RIP

magic boy
July 5, 2009, 02:24 PM
r.i.p

Nadim
July 5, 2009, 02:29 PM
We might see Umpires using helmets in near future. That reminds me of Raman Lamba, we died fielding in a close in position without helmet.

But I agree with surfer; you can't expect perfect reflexes at the age of 72. It was more of a suicide.
RIP

Thanks Banfan bhai for this info about R.Lamba.I never heard about this guy until u post it here.He was a Bangladeshi but played for India and Ireland but died in Dhaka:(
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/30745.html

nasimul
July 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks Banfan bhai for this info about R.Lamba.I never heard about this guy until u post it here.He was a Bangladeshi but played for India and Ireland but died in Dhaka:(
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/30745.html

R. Lamba was not Bangladeshi, he was from Uttar pradesh India.

R.I.P

BANFAN
July 5, 2009, 03:03 PM

R.I.P

Yes, he was an Indian. He was a regular player of our domestic leagues.

Nadim
July 5, 2009, 03:11 PM

R.I.P

Sorry my bad.

Zeeshan
July 5, 2009, 03:34 PM
R.i.p.

This is the reason why i chickened out of cricket.

Nafi
July 5, 2009, 03:59 PM
R.i.p.

This is the reason why i chickened out of cricket.

One time I bowled a bouncer to a guy who pulled it straight back at me on my follow through. The ball probably came back and hit my hand well over 80mph, it left a seam shaped bruise on my hand, but it was only numb, but there was pain.

bangla-red
July 5, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've heard about that Lamba guy.

Umpires should start wearing helmets, with a toughened plastic visor (no grille)

Surfer
July 5, 2009, 11:12 PM
Lamba was a great fielder and many times refused to wear helmets because he found it easier to dive without a helmet on. Even on that fatal day his coach had asked him to wear a helmet and he laughed him off.

Protective gears are made and used for a reason. No one should say no to it while batting/fielding close in. It's not a bad idea to ask umpires to wear some as long as it does not interfere with their clear vision.

Ajfar
July 5, 2009, 11:19 PM
RIP, i agree with bharat 72 years old, thats too old to be an umpire.

Sohel
July 5, 2009, 11:29 PM
RIP.

What a way to go for the old man. Obviously passionate enough to ump at that age. Death in the line of duty.

bujhee kom
July 5, 2009, 11:37 PM
Rest in peace my dear old brother!

Naimul_Hd
July 5, 2009, 11:39 PM
Protective gears are made and used for a reason. No one should say no to it while batting/fielding close in. It's not a bad idea to ask umpires to wear some as long as it does not interfere with their clear vision.

yeah...something like Baseball game where Umpires wear Helmet and Chest Guard to protect themselves.

BanCricFan
July 7, 2009, 01:14 PM
Tragic!
RIP Grandpa!

battye
July 9, 2009, 04:12 AM
That's very sad :(
RIP :(

ammark
July 9, 2009, 04:35 AM
That is very sad. May he rest in peace.

Imteaz
July 9, 2009, 04:47 AM
Sad One.

nycpro96
July 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thats terrible. I understand he was 72 and shouldnt have been on the field but its still a sad, unfortunate result.