PDA

View Full Version : Ireland better than BD: think again

al Furqaan
July 5, 2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/ireland/engine/current/match/408336.html

Irish struggling against kenyans, at home.

kenya are the team that lost a 50 over match to namibia by 200 runs recently...

anyone thinks that ireland would have done better than us in tests should keep reading that scorecard until they change their mind...

MohammedC
July 5, 2009, 06:26 PM
Irish are missing 3 key player, Boyd Rankin(not getting released by Warwickshire), Porterfield (not getting released by gloucester) and Nial O'brien(injured).

But saying that apart from the players we know Ireland does not have enough back up players.

al Furqaan
July 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
Irish are missing 3 key player, Boyd Rankin(not getting released by Warwickshire), Porterfield (not getting released by gloucester) and Nial O'brien(injured).

But saying that apart from the players we know Ireland does not have enough back up players.

rankin is overhyped IMO, porterfield and obrian are OK. eion morgan was part of the irish side that got trounced when they came to dhaka a little over a year ago...

Nafi
July 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
Ireland + Test status = FAIL

Dhruvo
July 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ireland will be better than bangladesh in time, because they have good funding.

Nafi
July 5, 2009, 07:24 PM

Doubt that.

Clearly that is not the case, the cricketers dont even get paid wages until very recently.

Most have to support themselves with secondary jobs.

Also cricket isnt exactly the most popular sport in the Ireland.

nzfan
July 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
The only players in the Ireland team that get funding are the county players, no idea where you got that from Dhrubo

Russell2k7
July 5, 2009, 07:52 PM
Ire 2009>>>>bd 2000
bd 2009>> ire 2009

Akib
July 5, 2009, 08:04 PM

What are you talking about? We get like many many times more funding than Irish players. Many of their players have day jobs... Ours focus (or they should be) on cricket.

Anyways, we lost not cause we were a worse team. Our mindset was wrong and we did not have the determination and self-belief that the Irish had.

Also, Irish had a first innigns lead. They are not doing too bad.

Rifat
July 5, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ireland + Test status = FAIL

i disagree...because they have a lot of players who play first class cricket and they are currently grooming a lot of youngsters...but you never know as it is kinda tough to tell, however, like Bangladesh, the potential is there.

AsifTheManRahman
July 5, 2009, 09:14 PM
We're still better than them, but maybe not by much. They can still beat us 30% of the time.

Ajfar
July 5, 2009, 09:16 PM
i disagree...because they have a lot of players who play first class cricket and they are currently grooming a lot of youngsters...but you never know as it is kinda tough to tell, however, like Bangladesh, the potential is there.

Bangladesh Cricket Team has done a pretty good job of screwing up all other associate teams chance of getting test status. i mean after looking at what Bangladesh has done in the last 9 years ICC will think twice before handing out test status to teams like Ireland.

Sohel
July 5, 2009, 11:26 PM
They have better unit cohesion than we do for sure, but at the end of the day, we're better. If we play our very best as a team, a very BIG "if" more often than not, and they play their very best, we'll win decisively.

Unless we continue to go backwards, that is unlikely to change. I reckon there's way too much passion for the game in Bangladesh to allow such a slide permanently.

Naimul_Hd
July 6, 2009, 12:37 AM
The only players in the Ireland team that get funding are the county players, no idea where you got that from Dhrubo

English Board is helping those Irish and Scottish players by providing chances to play in county league. But what are we getting from our neighbor countries ? India, pakistan have their local leagues and tournaments. they could allow us to play in their tournament regular basis. I think, BCB has also a part to play. BCB can request to India, pakistan or English county teams from 2nd or 3rd div to allow some of our promising players to play. There is nothing shame to ask help when your existence is on the line !

yaseer
July 6, 2009, 12:45 AM
I don't compare Ireland with us. Yes, they have beaten us is 2 important matches, but it does not need to do any sort of analysis to conclude that We are far better.

But why they can't be able to play Steve Tikilo? Surprising bowling figure. He is a decent bowler alright, but Ireland has made him so confident that he went on opening the bowling in the 2nd innings and also was successful.

Tokai
July 6, 2009, 09:07 AM
It does not matter: all it matters is that we lost to them at two of the biggest tournament of cricket. Twice. At a row. As associates, our record are not good against them either. I think overall head to head count, we are behind them.

Not to mention, we are comparing carpenters and taxi drivers who play weekend cricket to highly paid professionals of Bangladesh. Its a shame having to compare them, losing in the comparison is beyond shame.

Lets suck it up, we suck, and worse than Ireland.

Raynman
July 6, 2009, 09:20 AM
BD SHOULD defeat IRE in all forms of cricket given our talent pool, experience and ranking compared to them. However, IRE and KEN both have a legitimate claim to test status as their ODI records have long surpassed that of BD when we were awarded test status.

Having said that I would give Niall O'Brian a BD passport and trade him for MR any day of the week.

mahbubH
July 6, 2009, 09:23 AM
I thought, we get more money from ICC than Ireland..

Shehwar
July 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
That scorecard of the Kenyan 2nd innings is not right! Kenya didnt score 245 in 25 overs!!!!

Purbasha T
July 6, 2009, 04:38 PM
That scorecard of the Kenyan 2nd innings is not right! Kenya didnt score 245 in 25 overs!!!!

Ohho! That's what Al-Furqaan bro was referring to.....hahaahhaah, I dint see that.

One World
July 6, 2009, 07:55 PM
Sooner we learn to play awkward bouncers Ireland is history.

Imteaz
July 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
How do we compare a Test Team with an Associate Team? Just for losing a game of T20? We beat <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=India</st1:country-region> 2 times, <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> 1 time. Have they started to compare and open thread for us? Not strange. Our media rely on foreigners’ opinion rather than our own opinion even for our internal matters. We always either Over Estimate or Under Estimate ourselves rather being practical.

Jesus87
July 9, 2009, 12:49 AM
How do we compare a Test Team with an Associate Team? Just for losing a game of T20? We beat <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=India</st1:country-region> 2 times, <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> 1 time. Have they started to compare and open thread for us? Not strange. Our media rely on foreigners’ opinion rather than our own opinion even for our internal matters. We always either Over Estimate or Under Estimate ourselves rather being practical.

They have beaten Pakistan once in an ODI match also us in the World Cup super 8 matches, If we give them enough time they can produce better cricketers than us as most of their cricketers will have some county practice and they have patience.

I can't believe that within 9 years there is no or little improvement in Bangladesh cricket, you are saying we have beaten Australia once and India twice, we can even remember the victories and count it within our five fingers, ok how many times have they beaten us, I don't even remember the numbers, It's a shame. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how close we came, all it matters if it was a win or a loss.

I don't think Ireland should be playing Test matches nor should Bangladesh as our record suggests, we should just concentrate on the shorter versions of the game. It heartbreaking being a Test fan but at least it will save our country some blushes.

Murad
July 9, 2009, 12:51 AM
Enough TIme? Do you know how old the Ireland board is? More than 100 yrs old. And they are still where they were 20/30 yrs before.

abc70
July 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
Jesus87 are you a BD fan????????

BANFAN
July 9, 2009, 12:57 AM
They seem to be doing good improvements in recent times. Recent wins against good teams and 400+ score against Kenya will make a strong statement to support that.

But lets see if they do improve consistantly. It won't be bad for BD to get one more associate in the test arena. BD will get some chance of ragging the junior you know :)

Gowza
July 9, 2009, 03:44 AM
would like to see wales break away from the english team, they were a decent team a time again.

with easy access to county cricket ireland are a pretty good team and have been improving, their main weakness is their depth. they still have improvements to make but if they get their they'll still have the depth issues which is less of an issue with BD because the big population gives BD a big advantage. depth is something necessary for test nations and although BD isn't there yet they have more of a chance of achieving it than ireland.

Imteaz
July 9, 2009, 04:50 AM
They have beaten Pakistan once in an ODI match also us in the World Cup super 8 matches, If we give them enough time they can produce better cricketers than us as most of their cricketers will have some county practice and they have patience.

I can't believe that within 9 years there is no or little improvement in Bangladesh cricket, you are saying we have beaten Australia once and India twice, we can even remember the victories and count it within our five fingers, ok how many times have they beaten us, I don't even remember the numbers, It's a shame. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how close we came, all it matters if it was a win or a loss.

I don't think Ireland should be playing Test matches nor should Bangladesh as our record suggests, we should just concentrate on the shorter versions of the game. It heartbreaking being a Test fan but at least it will save our country some blushes.

Sorry Dear. I failed to make you understand my message. :)