PDA

View Full Version : Flintoff retires

Tintin
July 15, 2009, 04:55 AM
Andrew Flintoff has called a press conference at 12.30pm today, in which he will announce his retirement from Test cricket at the end of this Ashes summer, although he still intends to make himself available for Twenty20 and ODI cricket.

http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/414514.html

Slater582
July 15, 2009, 04:59 AM
Just 31 years old. Simon Jones was finished before he was 30. Hoggard frazzled out in his early 30's.

Yet guys like Mcgrath/Warne play on till their mid 30's.

The ECB grinding English players into the ground with endless Test, ODI, T20, County Chmpionship, FPT, T20 for money comes back to bite them perhaps.

mahbubH
July 15, 2009, 05:02 AM
Huh.. the aggression of T20 cricket will kill test cricket... Flintoff will be missed in test cricket.. he is such a good cricketer.

Rabz
July 15, 2009, 05:11 AM
What a sad day for test cricket and a big loss for English cricket.

He's been battling with injury for last few years and i think it was only inevitable.
Though he could not give all he could, but his biggest legacy would remain as being one of the most integral member of the team that regained Ashes in 2005.

Surfer
July 15, 2009, 05:25 AM
Okay.....now full time IPL.

Raynman
July 15, 2009, 06:53 AM
its a shame to lose a cricketer like that in tests but its inevitable. Test cricket in its current form is nothing to play for. Theres no money in it and it takes a tremendous toll on your body. For these guys who basically need to earn their lifetime income before they're 35/36, its becoming a real no brainer.

Tigers_eye
July 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
Just 31 years old. Simon Jones was finished before he was 30. Hoggard frazzled out in his early 30's.

The ECB grinding English players into the ground with endless Test, ODI, T20, County Chmpionship, FPT, T20 for money comes back to bite them perhaps.
Interesting and promising. India facing the same in the future then.

Raynman
July 15, 2009, 10:36 AM

Wasn't it Imran Khan who had asked the subcontinent players in the 90s to ignore county cricket because the load would shorten their career? I believe this was when County cricket was the only money making option at the time and the schedules were gruelling.

Beamer
July 15, 2009, 11:36 AM
Sad news. One of my all time favorite cricketers.

Sohel
July 15, 2009, 11:54 AM
Sad news. One of my all time favorite cricketers.

Second THAT ... :(

Kabir
July 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
Never liked him...but it's true, he's a good cricketer.

AsifTheManRahman
July 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Flintoff keda? Eta ki footballer na danguli player?

Ami khali chini Shakibulrey.

BD-Shardul
July 15, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sad news. Hope our Masri do not follow this path.

Murad
July 15, 2009, 02:19 PM

He should. Mash is not a good Test bowler. We have some bowlers who can replace him in Tests.

BANFAN
July 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Caught the Highway to IPL :)

Couldn't capitalize last year.

Ashfaq
July 15, 2009, 03:26 PM
He was never fit enough for tests. Loss for us. His bowling was a joy to watch this season.

Raynman
July 15, 2009, 03:26 PM
Caught the Highway to IPL :)

Couldn't capitalize last year.

this is just the begining. Symonds, Flintoff, possibly Oram.

We'll start seeing earlier and earlier reirements from Test Cricket. Makes sense though. These athletes only have a 15/16 year window to earn for their lifetime and to risk it by increasing your chances to injury/fatigue doesn't make sense.

In a way this will also see changes to Test cricket with younger players and players who are more focused on T20 skills.

mahbubH
July 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
Did not Mash get only one match in last year's IPL? Playing for BD should be more beneficial for him than warming the bench at IPL. If Mash retires from the test that is only for his health but for Freddie hmm....

bujhee kom
July 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
Get rest Freddy Couger!

Tintin
July 15, 2009, 10:10 PM

Too many county matches cannot be the reason. The ECB introduced central contracts partly to decrease the burden of county cricket off the players. They are often rested from the county matches especially before international matches.

This is the number of first class matches that Flintoff played for Lancashire in the last few seasons.

2002 - 1
2003 - 5
2004 - 0 (injured ?)
2005 - 4
2006 - 1
2007 - 3
2008 - 5
2009 - 2

He has a very crude bowling action. A lesser man would have broken his back long ago.

One World
July 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
The thread title is misleading. He just retired from longer version only. I think Gayle is about to follow through.

RazabQ
July 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sad but frankly since the halcyon days of 2005 he really hasn't done much on the Test arena. I reckon Stuart Broad with some more seasoning can be just as good.

Beamer
July 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sad but frankly since the halcyon days of 2005 he really hasn't done much on the Test arena. I reckon Stuart Broad with some more seasoning can be just as good.

Maybe, but Flintoff at full flight was one of those rare cricketers who had a presence about him that just can't be justified in cricketing sense. Warne, Viv, Great Khan, Sachin to name a few along with Freddie.

RazabQ
July 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
Presence yes. Performance no. Our Ash has presence too :) Fans can't stop talking about him :)

Beamer
July 16, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ha ha...Ash er kono presence nai..ki jey bolen na bhai. dilen shob kichu mati korey..In all seriousness, if injury didn't curtail his career, and had he played all his career without that, I believe he would have etched his names among the great all rounders of the game.

When I am not watching Bangladesh, I become a fan of cricket, and for me Freddie was one who really made me appreciate the game. Gilchrist was another. Currently, MSD has that aura about him..

Rifat
July 16, 2009, 02:33 PM
me personally thinks freddie in quite annoyed by the attention and media hype he gets all the time...there are many incidents related to this...and he wants that to stop!(considering how important the Ashes series is to people and the game itself)

I also think there is a good amount of gas left in him, so he is still a danger to watch out for in ODI's and T20s... he is still one of the world's best allrounder.

Stuart Broad will fill his shoes(already in progress)!

he wants to end his Test career with a BANG! :)

RazabQ
July 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
MSD???? No waaaaaay. Of the young crop, I like Bravo a lot and am intrigued by Hughes. Sanga is also a fave.

F1-mania
July 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
Stuart broad will never be half as good a batsman as Flintoff though. Same standard Bowler yes, but thats about it.
I'm not sure this isn't just a ploy. I mean it might just be to inspire the team. Pump himself and everybody else up. If he plays very well, and finds good form we might see a change of heart from him.

Zeeshan
July 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
Shouldn't the stats be kicking in now? Do we really need a thread for every retirement? btw no offense to Tinitn. I was hoping we can have a retirement thread sticky and announce there? :)

bangla-red
July 16, 2009, 04:35 PM
Why? Then people would care less...

F1-mania
July 16, 2009, 04:55 PM
This man is the closest thing the british thing have to a weapon of mass destruction. He deserves a thread to himself ;)

Nafis_BD
July 17, 2009, 02:28 PM
Very sad news... I really really like Freddie alot and would miss him in test matches. But I still think he would be a major player for England in any T20 and ODI game. Hope he continues to perform. I personally think he is one of the best all rounder in recent days!

Sovik
July 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
He missed a lot of matches because of his injury and this could be frustrating for a player but he can extend his career if he doesn't play test matches anymore.

auntu
July 22, 2009, 08:57 AM
He will be the trend setter for others.
How to quit from Test cricket in order to play more T20s....yes money money money...honey and make others funny...

Slater582
July 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
Brirish media saying Harmison might retire also.

Eshen
July 27, 2009, 05:51 PM
Flintoff move worries Gary

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090728/jsp/sports/story_11288336.jsp

Johannesburg: India coach Gary Kirsten has warned that a lot of players could go the Andrew Flintoff way and quit Tests to prolong their one-day and Twenty20 career as it assures them of more money for less cricket.

“It’s a natural progression that the guys are then going to say ‘I’m not interested in bowling 25 overs in a day when I can bowl four overs in a six-week period and earn three times as much’,” Kirtsen was quoted as saying by a cricket website.

Flintoff will quit Test cricket after the ongoing Ashes and the 31-year-old blamed the decision on his injury-ravaged body.

Kirsten said Flintoff’s decision could influence a lot of other players.

“The worrying side that I’m seeing is that a guy like Andrew Flintoff, a high-profile cricketer, has now made the decision to leave Test cricket, because he feels that he can get more out of his body and earn much more money by moving away from Test cricket and playing ODIs and Twenty20 cricket. He’s perfectly right in his decision. Why not?” the former South Africa opener said.

He said ODI games should be lessened and Twenty20 games increased to strike the right balance.

“India play six Tests this year. Is that sufficient or are there other priorities? I don’t know. It’s quite interesting that we’ve got a Twenty20 World Cup in April next year in the West Indies and Team India don’t play one Twenty20 game until that tournament starts,” Kirsten pointed out.

“What should be happening is that we should be going on tour and playing six Twenty20 games and one or two 50-over games. I think that’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of time,” he added.

For the record this is not the first time that Kirsten has voiced his concern. He had blamed fatigue, arising out of the Indian Premier League, for India’s disastrous performance in the ICC World Twenty20 in England in June.

“It’s not an excuse, but fatigue was a factor... The players arrived tired (after a gruelling IPL) and never got to the level of intensity which would’ve worked... It didn’t help that we played two matches (against Bangladesh, Ireland) of relatively less intensity, in the first round of the World T20... Also, we had a fair number of players not in the best of form and some were carrying niggles (from the IPL).”

Kirsten, in fact, had indirectly blamed the BCCI, too. “Some of the players only had a couple of days off (before leaving for England)... Because we weren’t together as a unit, we came with little preparation... We’d lost the connection (during the IPL).”

His comments stirred a hornet’s nest with some in the BCCI opening coming out in support of the IPL.

All the members of India’s World Twenty20 squad were part of the IPL and they arrived in England for the warm-up games which began on June 1, after playing a tightly scheduled five-week tournament in South Africa that ended only on May 24.

Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan picked up serious injuries during the IPL. Sehwag’s shoulder problem eventually ruled him out of the World Twenty20 while Zaheer, who admitted he was lucky to sit out for only four weeks, recovered just in time after missing most of Mumbai Indians’ campaign and the practice games in England.

Prior to the IPL, the BCCI had scheduled five ODIs and a Twenty20 International in Sri Lanka between January 28 and Febuary 10 to fill the gap after the two-month tour of Pakistan was cancelled in December following government advice.

Yameen
July 27, 2009, 06:30 PM
Freddie will be missed, he was undoubtedly the greatest all rounder in the modern era

Nafi
July 27, 2009, 07:06 PM
Freddie will be missed, he was undoubtedly the greatest all rounder in the modern era

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/105700/105773.jpg

'WTF!'

AsifTheManRahman
July 27, 2009, 07:15 PM
Nafi, #12.

Eshen
September 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
Flintoff set to reject England deal for lavish career in Twenty20
<script src="http://scripts.dailymail.co.uk/js/diggthis.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
By Paul Newman (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Paul+Newman)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1213215/Flintoff-set-reject-England-deal-lavish-career-Twenty20.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1213215/Flintoff-set-reject-England-deal-lavish-career-Twenty20.html#ixzz0R2jbkhvR)

Andrew Flintoff may never play for England again as he is set to reject an incremental contract and become the first high-profile freelance cricketer.

The prospect of an end to Flintoff 's international career, already a strong possibility because of the severity of his knee injury, will increase when he tells the ECB he prefers to go his own way.

The all-rounder was last night waiting for his agent Andrew Chandler to arrive for talks in Dubai, where he has based himself for his rehabilitation following knee surgery. But his mind already seems to be made up.

While 11 senior England players were awarded central contracts worth £150,000-£300,000, seven others received incremental deals, worth £27,000 a year. That is a figure Flintoff feels is more in tune with players on the way up rather than those, like himself, who have retired from Test cricket.

He would, instead, rather explore the myriad Twenty20 possibilities around the world that would be available to him, as well as opportunities outside cricket.

That would not necessarily stop him playing one-day cricket for England and a fit Flintoff would walk into a side who have lost the seven-game NatWest series to Australia with three to play. But England might prefer to move on without a player who has not always been as popular in the dressing room as with the fans.

Any decision can wait, however. So serious is his latest injury that Flintoff's target of being fit enough for the one-day leg of the tour to Bangladesh in March seems unrealistic. He is even said to be struggling to be fit to play for Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League in April - the competition that would provide the bulk of his earnings in his new world.

If Flintoff turns his back on a contract, he would be jeopardising the commercial deals with the likes of the soft drink Red Bull and Sure deodorant. But that is a gamble he is prepared to take to ensure that he would be available for the IPL and other Twenty20 competitions in countries like South Africa, Australia and the West Indies. While the ECB permit their players a three-week window to appear in the IPL, they still have control over players who sign a full or incremental contract.

The ECB are footing the bill for his recovery in Dubai which, ironically, will cost them much more than their contract offer, but Flintoff would have to pay for any future medical treatment if he removes himself from the England umbrella.

Chandler confirmed yesterday that he has already had talks with Northerns in Transvaal about a Twenty20 deal for Flintoff and that he would have played in the new Australian short-form competition in January had he not been injured.

When Flintoff bowed out of Test cricket after England won the Ashes he said he wanted to play one- day cricket until the 2015 World Cup. But the likelihood is increasingly that he will never again be seen in national colours.

Eshen
September 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
FLINTOFF GOES FREELANCE (http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/09/09/15/CRICKET_Flintoff_Nightlead.html)

Flintoff, who came to the decision following lengthy talks with long-time manager Andrew Chandler said: "I said when I retired from Test cricket that my ambition was to become the best one-day and Twenty20 player in the world and playing in all these different countries can only help.

"I was flattered to receive the offer of an incremental contract from the ECB, which I wasn't really expecting, but at this stage of my career I don't think I need to be told when to play and when to rest," he said.

"I am 31, I have played international cricket for 11 years and know my body's capabilities.

"I am grateful to the ECB for the all the financial support they have given me to help in my rehabilitation.

"I have moved to Dubai because I believe it will help in that and their decision to pay for Dave Roberts' continued expertise to aid my recovery has been invaluable."

"I've been very lucky playing for England for the past 11 years and I've sampled different countries, but I've always wanted the opportunity to play more in these places, get to know them and the way they go about their cricket."

"One of the things I want to pursue more than anything is playing in different worldwide locations.

Flintoff also said he would continue to feature for Lancashire in the future, having spent much of his career with the county unavailable due to England duty.

"I enjoy playing under Peter Moores and Glen Chapple, our captain, is one of my best mates and I am desperate to help them achieve success at Old Trafford."

AsifTheManRahman
September 23, 2009, 02:24 PM
...and they continue retiring, one by one: http://www.cricinfo.com/page2/content/story/425586.html

RazabQ
September 23, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hah - good find!