PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani National Assembly issues arrest warrent against PCB chief Ijaz Butt

Surfer
July 16, 2009, 01:12 AM
ISLAMABAD: The National Assembly Standing Committee on Sports issued a bailable arrest warrant against Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Ijaz Butt for not attending the meeting for the second consecutive time on Tuesday.

The Committee which met here at the Assembly Secretariat under the chairmanship of Jamshed Khan Dasti also formed a five-member sub-committee to scrutinise the troubled affairs of the PCB.

The NA body has summoned Pakistan Hockey Federation’s secretary Asif Bajwa and controversial former goalkeeper Mansoor Ahmad over his (Mansoor’s) recent allegations of human trafficking against the federation.

The committee has asked the director general of the Federal Investigation Agency Tariq Khosa to appear in the next meeting to take up the issue of alleged human trafficking by national sports federations and associations.

The NA body has also warned Interior Minister Rehman Malik, federal interior secretary Syed Kamal Shah, Punjab Police IG Tariq Saleem, Punjab Home Secretary Nadeem Hasan Asif, Lahore CCPO Pervaiz Rathore that their failure to appear in the next meeting would lead to their suspension.

The committee has also agreed for an in-camera briefing on the four-year audit report of the PCB from Auditor General of Pakistan and the Sports Ministry.

Former Test cricketer and chief selector Abdul Qadir informed the committee that he was removed from the job due to his complete support to a fully fit fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar.

The committee also recommended a permanent monthly stipend for renowned wrestler Bashir Bhola Bhala.

Regarding the absence of PCB chairman, Dasti remarked, ‘If he [Ijaz Butt] is in Pakistan he should have been here. The nation has high hopes from us.’

Later, the members unanimously passed the resolution to issue the bailable arrest warrant of Ijaz Butt.

Commenting on Lahore High Court’s judicial investigation report, Dasti said, ‘The committee is being influenced by several top political and government circles to give some relief to the officials involved in the negligence. There will be ‘no respite’ for anyone guilty of negligence while performing his duty to protect the Sri Lankan team.’

Meanwhile, Abdul Qadir blamed Coach Intikhab Alam and Manager Yawar Saeed for their deliberate involvement in scratching the name of the ‘fully fit’ fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar from the final list of World Twenty20 squad.

Qadir pointed out, ‘Shoaib was 100 per cent fit and was bowling at the pace of 149 km/h. I can’t find any logic why he was excluded from the squad.’

He added, ‘The selection committee was never independent. Interfering in the selection process was a clear violation of my contract.

‘Even the 30 central contracted players were named by the chairman without consulting the selection committee.’

PCB chief operating officer Saleem Altaf failed to defend the board or give any logical reasons for Qadir’s outburst.

The secretary in charge of sports Anis-ul-Husnain Moosvi faced tough grilling from the committee members who criticised the ministry for curtailing the special audit report 2004-08 of the PCB.

‘I know the circles which forced the ministry and audit department to settle audit paras against Shafqat Naghmi and the previous management of the PCB,’ said Saud Majeed, a PML (N) legislator.

A legislator from the MQM, Syed Tayyab Hussain, said, ‘Ijaz Butt has shown nepotism and appointed his brother-in-law Mohammad Naeem as PCB’s chief financial officer.’

Source: http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/cricket/12-na+body+issues+arrest+warrant+of+pcb+chief--bi-01

MysoreHuli
July 18, 2009, 01:12 AM
Good. He deserves every bit of it.

One World
July 18, 2009, 01:23 AM
I am ecstatic about the fact that Bashir Bhola Bhala would be contributed for his humongous contributions (I have no idea who that is, just love the name :)).

What happened to top squash players two Z khans?

BANFAN
July 18, 2009, 04:40 AM
Zansher Khan has recently replaced Zahangir khan as the chairman/something of Squash Board. :)

PCB had been a politically & regionally influenced organization for a long time, and it continues. Every ex player (almost) has an allignment, so whoever comes it remains the same.

Kabir
July 22, 2009, 09:27 AM
Arrest warrant for not attending meetings? There has to be more than that. Or else...instead of arresting, you fire him.

Funny stuff indeed.

manali
July 22, 2009, 06:33 PM
Arrest warrant for not attending meetings? There has to be more than that. Or else...instead of arresting, you fire him.

Funny stuff indeed.

In a country where you get 14 yrs prison for making a joke about president, this is expected.

Zeeshan
July 22, 2009, 09:38 PM
*pichki diye paaner pik falaite falaite*

Makes me appreciate my freedom even more (although true freedom _is_ an illusion in every country).

AsifTheManRahman
July 22, 2009, 10:07 PM
*pichki diye paaner pik falaite falaite*

Makes me appreciate my freedom even more (although true freedom _is_ an illusion in every country).
Only a dictator can have true freedom. Everyone else is bound by the shackles of governance, moderation and damnation of one kind or the other.

Zeeshan
July 22, 2009, 10:15 PM
Only a dictator can have true freedom. Everyone else is bound by the shackles of governance, moderation and damnation of one kind or the other.

But his mind is a caged in psychological terror. >:)

Kabir
July 22, 2009, 10:27 PM
In a country where you get 14 yrs prison for making a joke about president, this is expected.

Didn't hear that happen. What was it?

Kabir
July 22, 2009, 10:30 PM
However...there's one thing I noticed.

With all due respect to Surfer and other other Indian members...I've noticed that Indians typically never miss an opportunity to point out problems with Pakistan.

Imteaz
July 22, 2009, 11:03 PM
Intersting.

bujhee kom
July 23, 2009, 12:02 AM
It's my very personal belief! Gen. Parvez Musharraf is a good man and was a good president for Pakistan and her people! I always thought Musharraf is an honest sincere leader who truly loved Pakistan and World peace!!

Surfer
July 23, 2009, 06:31 AM
However...there's one thing I noticed.

With all due respect to Surfer and other other Indian members...I've noticed that Indians typically never miss an opportunity to point out problems with Pakistan.

I accept I do. I am not the perfect human being. When I see my friends and fellow Indians slaughtered in my own city a few KMs away from me by terrorists coming from and aided by Pakistan, that gives me a bad feeling. I don't like Pakistan for good reasons. They government issued a statement a few days ago that the attack on the Srilankan team was done by India. I know the routine.....they have done it so many times before. They will now give a list of people from India that they would claim were behind the attack on the Srilankan team and will put a condition that any investigation against the terrorists responsible for the Mumbai attacks will continue only after India hands over those guys on that list.

After the 1993 bomb blasts, India gave a full report to Pakistan showing several terrorists involvement in the blast and then Pakistan sent back a list of their own claiming that they were terrorists sponsoring terror in Pakistan. The first name was of India's then home minister (Advani) and included several other ministers from India. When India refused to deport all the people on that list, Pakistan took the excuse to stop all investigations on the 1993 bomb blast case.

After the Kandhar plane hijack case, the renouned terrorist who was freed in exchange of the hostages surfaced in Pakistan. He has been giving public speeches in Pakistan ever since. Never arrested.

I hate that country.

Kabir
July 23, 2009, 08:14 AM
Ok ok, explanation not required man. I was just teasing you, with a bit of facts.

However, this game b/w pak and india are simply ridiculous. I'm sure both are at fault. When anything happens in Bangaldesh, I see both Pak and India trying to point fingers at each other...accusing one another for that problem. And guess what, specially India points fingers at Bangladesh for any of their internal problem with terrorism.

And among several things...I've seen an apparent hatred in you for some of your own countrymen who are muslims...when you yourself admitted that you are sometimes scared of them as they've done enough to scare you. Wasn't it you?

I'm sorry...unrelated posts here. But just couldn't help it. Sorry to take this thread in the wrong path.

Mods - feel free to remove this post

Surfer
July 23, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ok ok, explanation not required man. I was just teasing you, with a bit of facts.

However, this game b/w pak and india are simply ridiculous. I'm sure both are at fault. When anything happens in Bangaldesh, I see both Pak and India trying to point fingers at each other...accusing one another for that problem. And guess what, specially India points fingers at Bangladesh for any of their internal problem with terrorism.

And among several things...I've seen an apparent hatred in you for some of your own countrymen who are muslims...when you yourself admitted that you are sometimes scared of them as they've done enough to scare you. Wasn't it you?

I'm sorry...unrelated posts here. But just couldn't help it. Sorry to take this thread in the wrong path.

Mods - feel free to remove this post

Indian Muslims? I love them. I have a good number of Muslim friends and they are the reason I believe that Muslims are good people. I hate terrorists, not Muslims. Rather I admire the way they follow their religion, something we Hindus don't do and call that being liberal.

I however did make a post analyzing the sentiments of those in India who fear Muslims and the possible reason behind such fear. Personally, I don't feel like that.

Rabz
July 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
I hate pakistan, do not like india, but i have always wondered:

How things have gone so wrong for us to hate and fight with each other, when only 3 generations back, during the times of our grandfathers, we were one nation one country. For thousands of years, we were one, but then all of a sudden, we became many and cant stand each other now.

From the eastern end of Himachal pradesh to western end of pakistan ( and Afghanistan once upon a time), we were all the same. The vast land was our country.

160 million in Bangladesh + 1.1 billion in india + 170 million in pakistan + 66 million in SriLanka!
God thats some massive reproduction we have done for ourselves.

I wonder how this current world would have looked like and our comtemporary international affairs would have shaped up if we had stayed together!

Sorry this is an off topic but i just felt like sharing it.
But i still hate pakistan and would continue to do so untill further notice.

indianx
July 24, 2009, 01:27 AM
I hate pakistan, do not like india, but i have always wondered:

How things have gone so wrong for us to hate and fight with each other, when only 3 generations back, during the times of our grandfathers, we were one nation one country. For thousands of years, we were one, but then all of a sudden, we became many and cant stand each other now.

From the eastern end of Himachal pradesh to western end of pakistan ( and Afghanistan once upon a time), we were all the same. The vast land was our country.

160 million in Bangladesh + 1.1 billion in india + 170 million in pakistan + 66 million in SriLanka!
God thats some massive reproduction we have done for ourselves.

I wonder how this current world would have looked like and our comtemporary international affairs would have shaped up if we had stayed together!

Sorry this is an off topic but i just felt like sharing it.
But i still hate pakistan and would continue to do so untill further notice.

Well, I think you are correct in that although there were a number of politically divided states with pretty distinct local cultures and languages, there still existed a central identity among others, even though, obviously, it is not the same as that which exists today. I think that point should be clarified first because there is one narrative about the subcontinent's history which argues that it was British colonial rule that brought about this ideal of 'one nation' into reality. I recently saw a discussion with Amartya Sen in which he makes the case for why that is historically inaccurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXfJZ4d1D3E (towards the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qUwEnhmvMg&feature=related (beginning)

Among other things, he cites the fact that pretty early on in the subcontinent's history a principal meridian was agreed upon which not only figured into Hindu calendars but also later Muslim guidelines.

I would actually argue that British colonial rule did more to fragment the subcontinent than to unite it. Still, I'm not one of those people who think that things would be better now if the three nations remained together as one. Although there was a central identity, as I said earlier, it was only one among others with some being more prominent, like religious, caste, and linguistic identities.

I mean, even within our separate nations, think of how contentious our politics is with different regions competing for influence. Imagine what it would be like if there would have been a single nation. Nobody knows for sure of course, but I think it might have been worse.

I'm not a historian, but what I've always wanted to know is if there was ever a time in our history, even if it was only a brief period, when Muslims and Hindus got along without significant problems. There were nearly always warring kingdoms and empires, but was there a time when people for the most part managed to reconcile their religious differences or actually mediate those differences by engaging with each other peacefully and tolerantly?

Sorry for pulling this thread even further off-topic.

BANFAN
July 24, 2009, 02:25 PM
...............I'm not a historian, but what I've always wanted to know is if there was ever a time in our history, even if it was only a brief period, when Muslims and Hindus got along without significant problems. There were nearly always warring kingdoms and empires, but was there a time when people for the most part managed to reconcile their religious differences or actually mediate those differences by engaging with each other peacefully and tolerantly?

Didn't manage to listen to Dr. Sen's view.

There was no history of fighting on religious lines prior to the British rule in Subcontinent. The people trying to capture / recapture parts of the region was bearing Hindu or Muslim names but their fights weren't on the religious lines. That was a part of power game, which was same in other parts of the world at that time.

British divided the people in these lines and ulimately divied the country along that line. I don't know either if it would be good or bad if we remained together. I get a negative vibe if I consider the period of living together with pak 47-71. I'm happy with what it is today. We cannot even get along as seperate nations in this age of globalization, I can't imagine being together.

Surfer
July 24, 2009, 04:02 PM
Didn't manage to listen to Dr. Sen's view.

There was no history of fighting on religious lines prior to the British rule in Subcontinent. The people trying to capture / recapture parts of the region was bearing Hindu or Muslim names but their fights weren't on the religious lines. That was a part of power game, which was same in other parts of the world at that time.

British divided the people in these lines and ulimately divied the country along that line. I don't know either if it would be good or bad if we remained together. I get a negative vibe if I consider the period of living together with pak 47-71. I'm happy with what it is today. We cannot even get along as seperate nations in this age of globalization, I can't imagine being together.

I am not complaining what it is today. What we should do is to live together peacefully with harmony. I do not understand big ideas/philosophies etc. But I do observe and understand the small things.....after all, our lives are directly affected by what is happening close around us. I remember a riot following the rape of a Muslim woman by a Hindu guy. There was a lot of heart burn, ego clashes, broken pride, callous revenge, stubborn resistance.....there was a lot of blood shed resulting in loss of life and property. Quite a few days later, after all this calmed down the culprit was arrested and a case was made. It turned out that he was a criminal with past records. He was just a drunk rapist and the victim for him was just a woman. He did not care what religion she came from. The reason of the crime was drunk lust and not religion. The rioters were definitely much more criminal in thinking than that rapist.

That is a small example from a small part of India that made it to the headlines of a state newspaper for a few days and then was forgotten. It has happened many times and has been forgotten many times. But why do we common men not learn to look and think beyond our individual well? Why can we not see that brotherhood can spread across and beyond religions?

Blaming the English for the partition is alright, blaming Pakistan for the bomb blasts is okay....what about the rest of the evil we are sitting on while we point a finger at another? A society becomes what its people are like. We can not deny that, can we? We say our politicians are bad....who elects them? We say our media is bad...who gives them the TRPs? We, the common man, the common Indian, the common Bangladeshi, the common Pakistani is equally guilty of most things that are wrong in our respective countries...as guilty as the politicians are or the media is.

So, lets stop blaming the British....they are gone....been gone for more than half a century now. Let us not create situations as described above. If we want peace, no one can stop us from having it. Lets stop blaming and start accepting our individual and collective responsibilities.

uss01
July 24, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Surfer, I had a question, why do many Indians never miss an opportunity to point out that Bangladesh is a poor country or poorer than India? It's a bit pointless because we're poorer on paper and only by a few hundred dollars / year in per capita income. I read an online article I think it was from Times of India about preview of the T20 WC BD-India game and it said India the cricketing powerhouse / giant will take on it's poorer neighbor or something of that nature. I'm not sure why that was even relevant. Anyways I just wanted your thoughts on this attitude from many Indians and Indian media towards Bangladesh.

Thanks.

I am not complaining what it is today. What we should do is to live together peacefully with harmony. I do not understand big ideas/philosophies etc. But I do observe and understand the small things.....after all, our lives are directly affected by what is happening close around us. I remember a riot following the rape of a Muslim woman by a Hindu guy. There was a lot of heart burn, ego clashes, broken pride, callous revenge, stubborn resistance.....there was a lot of blood shed resulting in loss of life and property. Quite a few days later, after all this calmed down the culprit was arrested and a case was made. It turned out that he was a criminal with past records. He was just a drunk rapist and the victim for him was just a woman. He did not care what religion she came from. The reason of the crime was drunk lust and not religion. The rioters were definitely much more criminal in thinking than that rapist.

That is a small example from a small part of India that made it to the headlines of a state newspaper for a few days and then was forgotten. It has happened many times and has been forgotten many times. But why do we common men not learn to look and think beyond our individual well? Why can we not see that brotherhood can spread across and beyond religions?

Blaming the English for the partition is alright, blaming Pakistan for the bomb blasts is okay....what about the rest of the evil we are sitting on while we point a finger at another? A society becomes what its people are like. We can not deny that, can we? We say our politicians are bad....who elects them? We say our media is bad...who gives them the TRPs? We, the common man, the common Indian, the common Bangladeshi, the common Pakistani is equally guilty of most things that are wrong in our respective countries...as guilty as the politicians are or the media is.

So, lets stop blaming the British....they are gone....been gone for more than half a century now. Let us not create situations as described above. If we want peace, no one can stop us from having it. Lets stop blaming and start accepting our individual and collective responsibilities.

indianx
July 24, 2009, 05:58 PM

I think that the tensions between our nations will come to a halt for the most part once all of our nations manage to reach a decent level of governmental stability and economic prosperity. We all suffer from problems relating to poverty and inefficient governance. Right now, I think the governments (maybe those of India and Pakistan more than that of Bangladesh) have an incentive to incite distrust and discord among the populations of the two countries to remain in power. And maybe once we attain some economic prosperity, most people will feel that the actions of the extreme groups on both sides (terrorism, riots, etc.) will cause a significant loss in property and lives that can't be tolerated.

But, there's no easy solution for the problems that exist. It actually seems nigh on impossible right now, because in this age of globalization, like you said, we need to work together as neighbours to get into a better position economically on the world stage. But, can we do that with the tensions that persist today? It's a very depressing situation.

Hi Surfer, I had a question, why do many Indians never miss an opportunity to point out that Bangladesh is a poor country or poorer than India? It's a bit pointless because we're poorer on paper and only by a few hundred dollars / year in per capita income. I read an online article I think it was from Times of India about preview of the T20 WC BD-India game and it said India the cricketing powerhouse / giant will take on it's poorer neighbor or something of that nature. I'm not sure why that was even relevant. Anyways I just wanted your thoughts on this attitude from many Indians and Indian media towards Bangladesh.I know there's ill-will among some Indians towards Bangladesh, which is unjustified and unwarranted. Some of it is due to the immigration debate. I haven't lived in India for a while, but the same debate is going on in the US. And because I can personally feel the xenophobic hatred of some Americans in this debate against minorities, I can understand clearly why Indians holding a similar position back home are wrong.

But, at the same time, and maybe this is because I am a part of the Indian middle-class 'establishment', but I don't think there is some sort of a mass agenda to keep portraying Bangladesh has a lesser or poorer country. Although, admittedly, there is a mistaken sense of patronization among some folks.

I searched for 'poorer neighbour' like you said on the TOI website and found one article with the phrase, but it was pretty negative towards India itself. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Child-mortality-Indias-record-worse-than-Bangladesh/articleshow/2799511.cms

uss01
July 24, 2009, 07:47 PM
Indianx, the link you gave was actually much more practical in discussing Bangladesh as a poorer country. The one I was talking about was in a far more inappropriate tone. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

About the illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in India, I do pray and hope that Bangladesh's economy starts to grow to a point that those poor immigrants do flock to Bangladesh. But that hasn't happened yet. I know there are illegal Bangladeshis in Pakistan too which is quite ironic. The thing is poor people get treated like shi* in BD and discriminated against, taken advantage off, low wages, etc, so they are left to be desperate. A result of that they look abroad, and India is an option. Not to mention many of them get trafficked. Ofcourse, now that you mention it can perhaps feed in to the steryotype of Bangladesh being a poor country, etc etc as Indians see all these poor people from Bangladesh there.

BANFAN
July 25, 2009, 04:04 PM

Surfer, I am not blaming, neither complaining about British. It's not that we were all angels & suddenly some bad brits came and polluted us. If we want to get better, we must know how we inherited such immoral practices in our society.

As we all know, there is an evil in every human being (Less the greats, they are greats because they can overcome that temptation), what started with the betrayal of Mir Zafar and other military leaders of the Mughals, couldn't have been interpretted as being unpatriotic at that time, as both of them were outside powers. But the act was as bad as it means. Then the history continued for 200 years, if a group didn't do something, the other was always ready to do it for them. The result was a nation polluted for generations, a lot of unethical/immoral practices/actions looked to be accepted in this society. It takes time and a considerable amount of it to get rid of such practices. That's how they came in.

We might have many reasons for being tempted to do unethical colaboration with the brits for individual benefits, but the stage was set also to trap those corrupts and make them the kings/rulers/Jamindars, while honest, people were brutally oppressed. Many of these acts were deliberate. Virtually forcing even the good one's to submit to the desires of the bad one. Can you imagine the magnitude of state sponsored character assasination? It has gone into the bloods of people in generations. very hard to come out of it. Many small small issues related to Rights, Honesty, Principles etc etc will be defined by even many of our educated in wrong ways than an uncolonialized Europeans, Americans or even an Afghan. We must remember the cause and we must never forget it, if we want to come out of it.

It inspires me to guard against some perceptions that I might have learnt to be ok in my society but may not be ok by universal ethical standards. Interfaith mistrust is one such gift of that corrupt system in the subcontinent. Emotions passed down through generations, very hard to come out of it even for many educated people. We still haven't got rid of those people who have directly benefitted or been deprived or appreciates those practices for self benefits. It's only matter of time when we will have people born, educated and grew up in free societies to run the show of our countries, to have much different & positive thinking.

It's only India who were a little more blessed than the rest of us who got a relatively freeer societies than the rest of us got. Pak is still not a free society, we have wasted our time until 71 and even there after to not to be able to make considerable progress in terms of thinking and acting positive & humane to our own. people found it easy or rather they knew only that form of governance they learnt through the previous centuries of british rule. I'm sorry it's getting too long describing the causes of living the way we are today.

So I would stop here and acknowledge our part of mistakes as well. They tempted and we didn't resist, that also shows the weakness of our characters. Things will be much better with practice of democracy, persuance of educatuion in a freer environment and better economic conditions in these countries.

We can't ignore our commonness. We are geographically together for much longer than the british rule and we share same origins. We share similar emotions and cultures. time will definitely teach us/our next/next generation the true meaning of humanity, morality etc to be able to respect each others faith and their rights to practice it. Let the creator decide that area, we human's can only evaluate one's human qualities not the faith/raligion. That's way beyond our capacities and jurisdiction. When everything needed to lead a human life will reach every people, the rest will happen naturally.

indianx
July 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
Interfaith mistrust is one such gift of that corrupt system in the subcontinent. Emotions passed down through generations, very hard to come out of it even for many educated people. We still haven't got rid of those people who have directly benefitted or been deprived or appreciates those practices for self benefits. It's only matter of time when we will have people born, educated and grew up in free societies to run the show of our countries, to have much different & positive thinking.I really think that a decent level of economic prosperity will bring about that different thinking in people more quickly than anything else.

We of the subcontinent have a pretty bad history in terms of communal divisions and violence and things like that, but the European countries put us to shame in that regard.

They've been at it longer and more violently than us, even in terms of religious violence. We've fought a few wars here and there, but they've already fought two world wars. Yet, from the end of WWII to now, nearly all the European countries (maybe not Eastern Europe) have managed to attain economic prosperity and they've basically suppressed their previous differences. Now, with the European Union, the fear is whether they're losing their independence.

BANFAN
July 27, 2009, 01:59 AM
I really think that a decent level of economic prosperity will bring about that different thinking in people more quickly than anything else.

We of the subcontinent have a pretty bad history in terms of communal divisions and violence and things like that, but the European countries put us to shame in that regard.

They've been at it longer and more violently than us, even in terms of religious violence. We've fought a few wars here and there, but they've already fought two world wars. Yet, from the end of WWII to now, nearly all the European countries (maybe not Eastern Europe) have managed to attain economic prosperity and they've basically suppressed their previous differences. Now, with the European Union, the fear is whether they're losing their independence.

Indianx you are right on both counts.

The Euopeans did it by their own choice and we did it for getting benefits from the instigator. Hence we lost our character/morality in the process.

You are absolutely right in saying that a better economy can solve most of these differences. But the economic development is being hindered by the lost morality as well. Even a corrupt democracy/free society if allowed to practice, is bound to improve & make economic developments over a period of time. India is a good example of that. It's not that the politicians of India are more honest than ours, but over a long period of practice has helped to develop a more transparent system. India hasn't discovered new wealth/resources like Middle East, Reduced corruption is yielding positive results in the conomic sector as well.

Eshen
July 31, 2009, 04:02 AM
NA sports committee asks PCB chief to ’set house in order’ or stepdown

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/07/31/na-sports-committee-asks-pcb-chief-to-set-house-in-order-or-stepdown-16288/

ISLAMABAD - The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt has been asked to ’set his house in order’ or step down by the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Sports

Dissatisfied by the team’s lackluster performance in the ongoing Sri Lanka series, Commission chairman Jamshed Dasti asked Butt to step down if he is unable to manage things in the board.

“You can step down if you can’t run your affairs properly,” Dasti said.

The Committee members asked PCB officials to consider replacement of board’s present set-up if it was necessary.

They also called for laying down an age limit for the post of PCB chairman, The Daily Times reports.

Responding to a question, Butt admitted that some bookies had arrived in Sri Lanka during the ongoing series, but made it clear that none of the players or any member of the team management were approached by the bookies.

The committee also withdrew its warrant against Butt which it had issued earlier after the chairman had failed to appear in personally in the previous meeting.

IanW
July 31, 2009, 05:23 AM
I love my BCB

ammark
August 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
I love my BCB
What with politicians given free rides to some tropical caribbean paradise.....?? They're digging their own grave if this sort of perverse patronising continues!

Politics and Sports must not mix!